Message Boards

Topic : 09/22 Are You a Racist?

Number of Replies: 206
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 16, 2005, 04:33:40 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Dr. Phil's first guest, Charlie, admits that he's a racist and it's tearing apart his family. He has stopped speaking with his daughter, Virginia, because she's pregnant with a biracial child. With the baby due any minute, will Charlie miss out on the joy that comes with a grandchild?  Then, Rujon says he's prejudiced against his own race because he "acts white." Should he be concerned about what other people think? Plus, Marla's daughter, Daphne, has been missing for six years, and her photo was never shown on the news. Marla is angry and says missing African-Americans are ignored by the media. Dr. Phil attempts to even the coverage by putting photos of missing women of color front and center. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More September 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 22, 2005, 1:32 pm CDT

One race above the others

There is only one race I worry about. It is the Human race. If we dont get all this nonsense worked out we're doomed.

September 22, 2005, 1:43 pm CDT

disappointed in Dr. Phil

I was really disappointed that Dr. Phil failed to challenge racist statements  on the part of some of the people on his show.  He never explained to the lady who lost her daughter (and who remains inmy prayers) that the reason her daughter was not featured on the news probably had less to do with race than with sensationalism.  I find it racxist of the woman to assume that race is the basis for her daughter's disappearance not to be picked up heavily by the media.  In the case of Candra, the reason her story was carried ad nauseum was the connection with the congreesman.  THAT was what the newscasts and articles played up.  With Lacey, it was that she was pregnant and not that she was white.  An added sensational aspect was that her husband was a suspect.   

In our area, I see more blacks featured in news stories than whites.  Why did Phil not poijt out that many white women do not get their storeis and pictures spread? 

It was that, not racism, that is the difference in the stories.  I truly do not believe it had anything to do with racism, but more with what reporters feel is a sensational story. 

Also, in New Orleans, blacks are NOT a minority, but a majority.    That is why more blacks are in need of help.  NOthing to do with racism.   

Racism is racism no matter what your color, and I am tired of folks playing the race card when it may have nothing to do with their problems.    DR. Phil should take a step back and be consitent! 

September 22, 2005, 1:46 pm CDT

i think that your liying to yourself

Quote From: donna2236

Dr. Phil, how cynical of you to quote those statistics on whites vs. blacks in the welfare system. You didn't state the statistic in the way you KNOW they actually are.  As a PERCENTAGE of the black population and a PERCENTAGE of the white population, more blacks ARE on welfare.  And you know this is the more significant representation of the facts. 

Shame on you for race baiting.  Growing up as a white girl in the suburbs I dated numerous black boys in my school.  I carried the banner of equality like a crusader.  Then as I got older and out in the work world I saw all the ways blacks approach work differently than whites. I saw a sense of entitlement to my tax dollar...I saw bad attitude, I saw political correctness gone wild and accusations of "racism" lodged by blacks against the very employers who had HIRED them ! Help me out with that one...the white guy hired them...but because the white guy actually expected performance and when it didn't come, the black (or white) employee was fired, the black employee screams "racism".  I see women do the same thing...they cry "sex discrimination".   I'M NOT A RACIST.  I could care less about the color of anyone's skin.  What I am is sick to death of is the BEHAVIOR OF BLACKS, it's their actions, their behavior, their attitudes, not their color that I will battle with every cell in my body because our country is becoming a trashy, loud, course place with standards going lower and lower every day.  THE PEOPLE OF NEW ORLEANS CHOOSE TO LIVE THE WAY THEY DO...I'VE LIVED THERE. THEY CHOOSE NOT TO WORK, THEY CHOOSE TO HAVE CHILDREN THEY CAN'T AFFORD TO CARE FOR, THEY CHOOSE TO TRASH THEIR OWN HOMES, THEY CHOOSE TO NOT PAY THEIR BILLS.  THEIR BLACK MAYOR DIDN'T CARE ENOUGH ABOUT THEM TO SEND HIS OWN SCHOOL BUSES AROUND TO THEIR HOMES TO PICK THEM UP TO SAFETY. BUT the images of those people at the convention center and the superdome are the ones the media and the black community have grabbed on to and exploited so Jessie Jackson & Al Sharpton's VICTIM INDUSTRY will continue to thrive for years to come.  I guess Condoleeza Rice, Bill Cosby, Colin Powell and many, many other responsible, successful blacks were somehow whisked along through life in white face make-up.  Just like there are trailer park whites and highly successful whites, there are trailer park blacks and highly successful blacks.  The difference is trailer park whites don't have anyone they can blame for their lack of discipline and responsibility.  I didn't used to have a problem with blacks' 30 years ago when they really DID have a tougher time in the job market...now the red carpet has been rolled out and everyone walks on eggshells around them to keep from being accused of racism. I'M SICK OF IT. I'M SICK OF BLACK BEHAVIOR, NOT BLACK COLOR !!!!! 

I think you are indeed a racist and your trying to convince yourself more than anyone else that you are not. I'm not mad at you however, I am sad for you because in order to secure salvation you are going to have to confess that you are racist and ask GOD to forgive you in addition to other things. To make a long story short you are bound to have trouble at The Gate if you don't change and do it soon. I'm not upset with you but I hope that you will examine yourself as we all must do,  if you want to see GOD in peace. Black woman Memphis,TN

September 22, 2005, 1:48 pm CDT

Did this dawn on anyone else?

Did you ever notice that when caucasians stereotype another race they are the evil-doin' heathen racists, but when another racestereotypes caucasians NOBODY yells racism.

September 22, 2005, 1:48 pm CDT

Human race

I forgot to say that we are all one race. . .the human race!  You know, in other countries minorities do not insist on being their skin color first..  One never hears folks referrred to as "African-British" or African- Italian!!!!!  We are people first, and I find it racist when folks say otherwise.  We have more similarities than differences, and I find it racist to dwell on the differences!!!

September 22, 2005, 1:50 pm CDT

09/22 Are You a Racist?

I am going to have to get a copy of this episode. My father is a 100% racist and I've had it. I am 34 years old, I am white and my husband is black. I have a 10 year old daughter and a 1 year old son. My son was born with a congenital heart defect and had heart surgery the day he was born and 2 since. He is doing fine now. My father to this day, has not seen him and my mother watched my kids on New Year's Eve so my husband and I could go out to eat. My son was there for about 2 hours and my father stayed outside in the garage the whole time. The last time I spoke to my father was 2 months before I gave birth, to tell him that I was pregnant because he thought I was just getting fat, and his comment was "Why would you do a thing like that?". My mother will not stand up to him, so we are not welcome at there house and my mother is torn at the holidays. I can't even talk to him, because he won't allow me. I am afraid that we will go to our graves not speaking and that breaks my heart, but I can do no more where he is concerned....

September 22, 2005, 1:51 pm CDT

I prefer to think of myself as not racist, but prejudiced. My prejudiced isn't for any specific race,  but for many races, i.e. Caucasian, African American, Hispanic, Italian,... the list goes on and on. No matter where you live, if you are lazy, and rely on others to support you, it's not right. I have many friends of all races. One thing that I don't like about all those is, EBONICS. It's not just the blacks like most people think....it's everyone. I grew up in a primarily white school, and yes..some people thought they were GANGSTAZ... Unintentionally, I automatically assume that people who speak such words can not be educated. I know there are many cases in which I am wrong, but if you ask me where the, "baffroom" is, I will either assume that you are not educated, or have a speech impediment.  

My family heritage is Norwegian. If you live in Norway, no matter if you moved there yesterday from Alabama or wherever, you are now a Norwegian. Why is it that we can't all just be Americans. The last time I checked...we were all living in the same country, some of us the same state, same county, and yet, we are all so different? 

September 22, 2005, 1:54 pm CDT

What I find truly sad

is that this would even need to be a topic for a show.  Like the previous writer said, we are all members of the human race.  That is what is important. 

Mary 

September 22, 2005, 1:56 pm CDT

09/22 Are You a Racist?

Quote From: kcityrolle

Did you ever notice that when caucasians stereotype another race they are the evil-doin' heathen racists, but when another racestereotypes caucasians NOBODY yells racism.
I completely agree with you everyone is racist against everyone and the United States has a long way to go to eliminate the problem.

September 22, 2005, 1:56 pm CDT

09/22 Are You a Racist?

I can't believe Dr. Phil he had a black man (Ty) being racist against white people and  he just laughs and doesn't call that being racist. Black people are more racist against white people. White people just assume it's ok for them to call us honky, cracker, whitey. We laugh about us but as soon as a black person gets call a n**** by a white person it goes back to slavery times. But black people are also more racist against other black people, they call each other n****s and it is ok. If N**** is a racist word than how about black people don't use it to call other black people it. It's not fair that white people can't use that word to describe blacks if blacks describe other blacks using that term.  White people are getting more and more descriminated against as there gets to be less and less of them in the United States. Look at Dave Chapelle and Carlos Mencia there whole act is about how stupid white people are and they through in some black or latino jokes and its  ok to make fun of white people. Whites are just as descriminated against as everyone else its just not ok for us to get pitty for it. Why doesn't Dr. Phil do a show about whites being discriminated against. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last