Message Boards

Topic : 12/21 Shocking Teen Trends

Number of Replies: 224
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 23, 2005, 04:43:49 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Airdate: 09/27/05) It's a game many kids call "Space Monkey," or "the choking game," but the consequences could be deadly. Robin witnessed her 14-year-old daughter and her friends giggling, choking and passing out. But what Robin saw was no laughing matter. Find out why her daughter enjoys the game, despite its dangerous repercussions. Then, Sarah's 13-year-old son made headlines when he died playing the choking game. How can she move past the guilt? Plus, Dr. Phil addresses a trend that looks innocent on the surface, but can affect teens in the worst way.  Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More December 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 24, 2005, 12:04 pm CDT

The Choking Game and Gabriel Mordecai

It is my hope that when this show airs, teachers, school administrators,doctors, medical examiners and coroners will start to take this seriously: I pray that teachers and school administrators especially, will start to warn and educate about this deadly game. It would be a small matter for them to include warning and educating about this thrill seeking 

(LtoR Samuel,Me,Elizabeth,Arthur and Gabriel...We miss him.) behavior into pre existing curriculam such as 'drug awareness' 'red ribbion week', etc.  I wish I had known this game killed and continues to kill children. There have been five other deaths from this game since Gabriel's in May of 2005. 

Thank you Dr. Phil for seeing the urgency and importance of informing the public. Thank you so much Amy, Gaylin and Astra for sticking it out with us. Russell, oh you sweet man you! Thank you for being so kind to Samuel... I will always be grateful that it was this group of people who worked with us! 

Much fondness and, 

Still Loving All Four Of My Children, 

Sarah 

http://StillLovingMyGabriel.com 

September 26, 2005, 7:46 am CDT

Thank you Sarah

Quote From: pacatte

It is my hope that when this show airs, teachers, school administrators,doctors, medical examiners and coroners will start to take this seriously: I pray that teachers and school administrators especially, will start to warn and educate about this deadly game. It would be a small matter for them to include warning and educating about this thrill seeking 

(LtoR Samuel,Me,Elizabeth,Arthur and Gabriel...We miss him.) behavior into pre existing curriculam such as 'drug awareness' 'red ribbion week', etc.  I wish I had known this game killed and continues to kill children. There have been five other deaths from this game since Gabriel's in May of 2005. 

Thank you Dr. Phil for seeing the urgency and importance of informing the public. Thank you so much Amy, Gaylin and Astra for sticking it out with us. Russell, oh you sweet man you! Thank you for being so kind to Samuel... I will always be grateful that it was this group of people who worked with us! 

Much fondness and, 

Still Loving All Four Of My Children, 

Sarah 

http://StillLovingMyGabriel.com 

Sarah you did it!!! I am so happy that you are able to get on the show to tell the world about this deadly game. I am having all of my nephews and neices and children watch this. I am sooooooo proud of you! Once this show airs, many lives will be changed forever and parents will become more aware of this. Thank you for sharing Gabriels story with all of us. GOd Bless you and your family. jb7ctx

September 26, 2005, 11:27 am CDT

Shocking Teen Trends

When I heard about this on the news, it made me sick to my stomach. What in the world are people thinking? This is not ok. Like Dr. Phil says: Someone needs to stop this before the sunsets today! Thats for sure! Someone must put this to a screetching halt now! Someone needs to take a stand and say NO to these kind of things. Teens who participate in things like this need a huge reality check.!

September 26, 2005, 2:36 pm CDT

09/27 Shocking Teen Trends

Whatever happened to the old fashion ways of having fun. It really is a shame that these days for teens are as hard as ever. I have a teen and just hope between work and school, she just doesn't have time to do something so stupid. My heart aches for these parents who have lost children.

September 26, 2005, 4:14 pm CDT

i've witnessed this before.
i was in my last year of high school and sitting in class, we had a substitute but she wasn't there yet, so we all sat and did work as the teacher across from our room watched us, she was gone for about 10 minutes, and a girl did this "choking game" to one of the other kids because he'd never done it before......it was pretty scarry considering they were sniffing the markers and window cleaner in rags as well....it's disturbing. and sadly a growing epidemic 

September 26, 2005, 5:51 pm CDT

I am so glad that Dr.Phil is taking my advice and probably alot of other parents advice too!!!.I sent an email earlier on the old boards regarding this "choking game that kids play.I have been trying to make more parents aware since i saw the website still loving mygabriel.I am so please they are doing this so more parents can be made aware of what goes on behind the doors of the school.And its not just teens that are playing this dangerous game its our younger kids and this is old now god knows what else they have learned. I hope we parents can be kept informed of these games that are killing some of our kids like the poor parents that lost Gabriel. We need to find out about this stuff not years after this becomes an old trend but before it ever becomes reality at all. Thanks Dr.Phil!!!!!

September 26, 2005, 7:00 pm CDT

Dear Sarah

I just wanted to send my codolences on the loss of your son. I know how bad it hurts to lose a child. While mine didn't pass because of this game, we belong to a club neither wanted to join. If you EVER want to talk my e-mail address is misty74_2000@yahoo.com.

September 26, 2005, 7:46 pm CDT

I'm Totally Shocked

I only learned about this "chocking game" a couple of weeks ago on Dateline ..or was it 20/20? Oh what difference does it make, it was one of those kinds of shows. Now keep in mind, I'm only 18 and I was completely in shock. I'd NEVER heard of this. Granted, I was the goody-two-shoes that spent most nights at home studying. But I went to the occasional party, drank a little bit my senior year and watched some of the frightening things other people did. I couldn't believe the stories I heard about this though. It's sad and appalling really. It leads me to wonder who would come up with an idea like this. And why? I know I've always over-analyzed everything and that's probably what kept me out of trouble most of the time, but I really wonder what runs through the mind of a person that thinks playing with death is a game.  My friend found her brother hanging in the garage ..it'll be 4 years in October now and I can tell you it wasn't funny. She's never been the same and neither has the rest of her family. If any "invincible" junior high student happens to be reading this, I hope you remember to think about what you do to those around you when you do such stupid things to yourself whether the end result is intentional or not. 

-Kristin 

September 26, 2005, 9:56 pm CDT

Kristin does your friends family know of this game?

Kristin: 

You mentioned 4 years ago that your friends brother was found hanging in the garage. What does the family ~ offficials say happened? How old was he? Have you shared this 'game' info with that family? I encourage you to do so right away. This could bring them a bit of peace if this boys death was 100 percent suicide. (The majority of these deaths are classified that, suicide. It is a crime in itself!) 

Spread the word Krisitin... and save lives... 

Sarah Pacatte ... Gabe's Mom 

September 26, 2005, 9:58 pm CDT

kristin..ooops

Kristin.. 

I meant to type "if this boys death isn't 100 percent certain that he commited suicide"... Sorry guys... 

Sarah 

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last