Message Boards

Topic : 12/21 Shocking Teen Trends

Number of Replies: 224
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 23, 2005, 04:43:49 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Airdate: 09/27/05) It's a game many kids call "Space Monkey," or "the choking game," but the consequences could be deadly. Robin witnessed her 14-year-old daughter and her friends giggling, choking and passing out. But what Robin saw was no laughing matter. Find out why her daughter enjoys the game, despite its dangerous repercussions. Then, Sarah's 13-year-old son made headlines when he died playing the choking game. How can she move past the guilt? Plus, Dr. Phil addresses a trend that looks innocent on the surface, but can affect teens in the worst way.  Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More December 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 27, 2005, 6:08 am CDT

vanka dee

Quote From: vanka_dee

I only learned about this "chocking game" a couple of weeks ago on Dateline ..or was it 20/20? Oh what difference does it make, it was one of those kinds of shows. Now keep in mind, I'm only 18 and I was completely in shock. I'd NEVER heard of this. Granted, I was the goody-two-shoes that spent most nights at home studying. But I went to the occasional party, drank a little bit my senior year and watched some of the frightening things other people did. I couldn't believe the stories I heard about this though. It's sad and appalling really. It leads me to wonder who would come up with an idea like this. And why? I know I've always over-analyzed everything and that's probably what kept me out of trouble most of the time, but I really wonder what runs through the mind of a person that thinks playing with death is a game.  My friend found her brother hanging in the garage ..it'll be 4 years in October now and I can tell you it wasn't funny. She's never been the same and neither has the rest of her family. If any "invincible" junior high student happens to be reading this, I hope you remember to think about what you do to those around you when you do such stupid things to yourself whether the end result is intentional or not. 

-Kristin 

I am glad that they are showing this program .I was trying to make parents and kids aware of this deadly game after i saw the website of gabriels mom's .She has a website making people aware of the dangers of this game.We have three young guys from our community this summer that died as a result of hanging.They wanted the high so they didn't have the friends do it to them anymore because the friends refused because of knowing the danfers so they took a rope and tried themselves so now we buried three young guys all in a 2 month span of each other.Its horrible on these families and our community as well since we are a small community.We first knew about them using drugs and thought that they just were high and didn't have anything to live for so they did away with themselves but not the case whatsoever.They didn't get the drugs any longer so they new about this kinda high and tries this way.Now these are not just tennages they were 20,22 ,26 so they were not school kids but did apparently try this in school when they were younger.I have a fifteen yr old girl , i asked her if she knew of this going on and was expecting heer to say no but when she said YES!!! i cringed i asked if she ever tried it and she did say no but has seen it done before she said this is old news .I was morified i thought we live in a small community how the god do thses kids learn this but it takes one to find out how and the rest that do it follow.This is so sad i am glad that Dr.Phil is doing a show on this and makes us parents even more aware of the danderous games kids play.

September 27, 2005, 6:43 am CDT

09/27 Shocking Teen Trends

Call me mean or hard-hearted but these kids deserve a darwin award for playing this choking game and end up killing themselves. Let me give you some background on my statement. I am an Emergency Medical Technician and I routinely get calls where people have injured or even killed themselves due to blatant stupidity. I would think that a 13 or 14 year old would know the consequences of asphyxiating themselves. Doing it for the rush or just because its fun doesnt make it ok. They dont realize that everytime that they lose consciousness they lose roughly 100 brain cells, and for every minute they are down they lessen their chanes of surviving a cardiac arrest by 20%, 10% for adults. If they do go into to cardiac arrest they have less than one half of one percent  chance of surviving the ordeal. 9 out of 10 times the person survives and becomes a vegetable much like the infamous Terri Schiavo. I hope to never work a code on a child that decided to asphyxiate themselves because its fun. These kids are a health hazard to themselves and possibly younger kids that look up to them. 

Sarah, as a fellow parent I am truly sorry for your loss, and it is never right that a parent should have to bury their child. 

-C.A. Terry, NREMTB, AREMT-A 

September 27, 2005, 6:48 am CDT

I Never heard bout this before

It saddens me that kids will even think of doing this...I have two Children ages 5 and 7 and This is really scary.  I don't know why kids do these things.

September 27, 2005, 7:01 am CDT

I used to do this

The woman who lost her son stated that this is not a new game and she is right. I am 36 years old and I did this several times when I was about 17. A friend of mine and my sisters introduced us to this and we played it  in his bedroom. I'm don't remember what we called it at the time and don't know of anyone else that did this. Threre's no rational explanation for why I would do this, because of course it's very stupid, but for me maybe it didn't seem so dangerous because when I was 15 I used to pass out from time to time for no apparent reason. It felt pretty much the same. Also, as a child I had petit mall epilepsy which is sort of similar too. After seeing this show, I am concerned now about how much damage I may have caused to my brain from doing this and also from the natural fainting spells I experienced many times before that.   

I'm wondering what type of brain function you may actually lose from losing brain cells in this way.  Any additional info that anyone has on this would be appreciated. 

Donna 

September 27, 2005, 7:01 am CDT

yellbasic

Quote From: yellbasic

Call me mean or hard-hearted but these kids deserve a darwin award for playing this choking game and end up killing themselves. Let me give you some background on my statement. I am an Emergency Medical Technician and I routinely get calls where people have injured or even killed themselves due to blatant stupidity. I would think that a 13 or 14 year old would know the consequences of asphyxiating themselves. Doing it for the rush or just because its fun doesnt make it ok. They dont realize that everytime that they lose consciousness they lose roughly 100 brain cells, and for every minute they are down they lessen their chanes of surviving a cardiac arrest by 20%, 10% for adults. If they do go into to cardiac arrest they have less than one half of one percent  chance of surviving the ordeal. 9 out of 10 times the person survives and becomes a vegetable much like the infamous Terri Schiavo. I hope to never work a code on a child that decided to asphyxiate themselves because its fun. These kids are a health hazard to themselves and possibly younger kids that look up to them. 

Sarah, as a fellow parent I am truly sorry for your loss, and it is never right that a parent should have to bury their child. 

-C.A. Terry, NREMTB, AREMT-A 

Hi as a fellow EMT former one that is due to back injury (thats besides the point)i can relate to the calls yes and the blanant disregard for their own lives but i really wouldn't say all 13 yr olds or 14 yr olds should know better.why would they?They don't stop to study the effects of these foolish and dangerous games.They see they do thats it all in fun in their eyes till something goes wrong and then they should be able to see for themselves the dangers but its like oh that won't happen to me .I am a parent and i really hope that my daughter who is 15 can take something away from Gabriels story we as parents need to make these kids more aware.Look at my posting below we had three young adults do the exact same thing and look at their ages!We need to get this word out and i did send a recommendation in for this show and probably alot of parents along with Sarah Gabriels's mom before these new boards came up i posted on the old boards and saw the website for Sarah' story  www.lovingmygabriel.com. I was morified when i read this more womans story from a parents aspect not the EMT side. 

September 27, 2005, 7:07 am CDT

Don't Forget about Samuel

Hello to Sarah-
I just watched the show where you talked about losing your son, Gabe, to this deadly choking game.  I am so sorry that you had to lose a child.  I cannot even inagine the pain that you are experiencing.
I am an identical twin and I'm sure that Samuel has lost a part of himself when he lost his brother.  Please focus on him.  He's hurting too and needs his mom back.  I know you are devoted to saving other people's lives but please save the precious child that is still alive. 
Thank you for sharing your experience w/America.  I will definitely spread this story to my family and co-workers.  May peace fill your heart.

September 27, 2005, 7:08 am CDT

pacatte

Quote From: pacatte

Kristin: 

You mentioned 4 years ago that your friends brother was found hanging in the garage. What does the family offficials say happened? How old was he? Have you shared this 'game' info with that family? I encourage you to do so right away. This could bring them a bit of peace if this boys death was 100 percent suicide. (The majority of these deaths are classified that, suicide. It is a crime in itself!) 

Spread the word Krisitin... and save lives... 

Sarah Pacatte ... Gabe's Mom 

Hi Sarah i want to tell you how proud i am as a mom you brought this story forward and that Dr.Phil is doing this show.I am so sorry for your loss of your precious son Gaberiel.I was wondering if i have that website right that i posted in another post because when i went back to read again it would find me the site .I have www.lovingmygabriel.com before when i gave the site address to different moms i thought it was  www.lovingmygabriel.com/tripod is that one too?Or do i have it wrong.I have sent this story in to the show back on the old boards hoping that they would do this show for us parents,teachers,adminstrations,kids most importantly have to be more aware of these dangers.Thanks so much Sarah for bring thid story to our attn.I have a 15 yr old daughter who has seen this done herself but says she has never tried it and i believe her .I am so grateful thank -you again.cathy

September 27, 2005, 7:10 am CDT

Kids Need a Drastic Wake Up Call!

My heart goes out to all the parents who have lost their children to this ridiculously insane 'game'. It's one thing to lose a child to an accident but it's a whole different picture when your child made the conscious choice to willingly involve themselves in their own death. I think a lot of the times parents see this kind of show or something similar about dangerous things teens do and think 'oh that could never be my child' and because of that thought they don't discuss the issue(s) with them. Parents need to start realizing that no matter how sweet, smart and wonderful their child is, there's always a chance it could in fact be their child laying in the morgue one day because of stupid 'games' and activities teens participate in. As a result parents need to talk to their kids about such issues and stress the importance of how extremely dangerous these 'games' are. So many teens today think choking games, drinking games, doing drugs, having sex, etc are 'cool'. It's up to parents and other influential adults to drill it into these kids brains that such things are NOT cool and instead could kill them. Perhaps a visit to the morgue or to the intensive care unit at the local hospital would wake these kids up and give them a glimpse into their own future if they continue participating in these 'cool games'.  

September 27, 2005, 7:23 am CDT

een1016

Quote From: een1016

Hello to Sarah-
I just watched the show where you talked about losing your son, Gabe, to this deadly choking game.  I am so sorry that you had to lose a child.  I cannot even inagine the pain that you are experiencing.
I am an identical twin and I'm sure that Samuel has lost a part of himself when he lost his brother.  Please focus on him.  He's hurting too and needs his mom back.  I know you are devoted to saving other people's lives but please save the precious child that is still alive. 
Thank you for sharing your experience w/America.  I will definitely spread this story to my family and co-workers.  May peace fill your heart.
Hi there i just read your post and you are right Sarah can't lose sight of her son Samuel as well.I am glad however she has brought this to our attn.And i think Samuel should be proud of his mom which he probably is.It must be hard to lose a sibling never mind a twin.It is also hard to though for the parents so that i thank Sarah for.And she just didn't share with America but us from other countries as well because this i'm sure is a wide spread dangerous game that kids play.Thanks Sarah again look forward to the show today later!.cathy

September 27, 2005, 7:59 am CDT

didi36

Quote From: didi36

The woman who lost her son stated that this is not a new game and she is right. I am 36 years old and I did this several times when I was about 17. A friend of mine and my sisters introduced us to this and we played it  in his bedroom. I'm don't remember what we called it at the time and don't know of anyone else that did this. Threre's no rational explanation for why I would do this, because of course it's very stupid, but for me maybe it didn't seem so dangerous because when I was 15 I used to pass out from time to time for no apparent reason. It felt pretty much the same. Also, as a child I had petit mall epilepsy which is sort of similar too. After seeing this show, I am concerned now about how much damage I may have caused to my brain from doing this and also from the natural fainting spells I experienced many times before that.   

I'm wondering what type of brain function you may actually lose from losing brain cells in this way.  Any additional info that anyone has on this would be appreciated. 

Donna 

Hi Donna i read your post and yes when you were young it probably didn't scare you as much as it does now.Did you read below what was written by yellbasic who is an EMT i too am a former one also and i agree with this statement so here is abit of what can happen to you if one was to keep doing this to others or themselves".They dont realize that everytime that they lose consciousness they lose roughly 100 brain cells, and for every minute they are down they lessen their chanes of surviving a cardiac arrest by 20%, 10% for adults. If they do go into to cardiac arrest they have less than one half of one percent  chance of surviving the ordeal. 9 out of 10 times the person survives and becomes a vegetable much like the infamous Terri Schiavo" its kinda scarey now isn't it after you see abit of what can happen to you.How long did you play this game?And you suffered Mall epilespy!!! you were lucky then you did wake up from these games did your epilespy get worst at all ? take care didn't mean to scare you but this is only abit of what could happen to you. take care .

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last