Message Boards

Topic : 12/21 Shocking Teen Trends

Number of Replies: 224
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 23, 2005, 04:43:49 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Airdate: 09/27/05) It's a game many kids call "Space Monkey," or "the choking game," but the consequences could be deadly. Robin witnessed her 14-year-old daughter and her friends giggling, choking and passing out. But what Robin saw was no laughing matter. Find out why her daughter enjoys the game, despite its dangerous repercussions. Then, Sarah's 13-year-old son made headlines when he died playing the choking game. How can she move past the guilt? Plus, Dr. Phil addresses a trend that looks innocent on the surface, but can affect teens in the worst way.  Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More December 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 28, 2006, 9:52 pm CST

12/21 Shocking Teen Trends

Quote From: pacatte

Since losing Gabriel on May 6, 2005, over 135 children have since fallen victim to this wicked game. Educating and warnig children is crucial; talk to kids about this 'killer game' before one of their peers do: It is phrases such as " oh come on, it can't hurt you, it's not drugs or booze" that others use to recruit 'players' of this deadly 'game'. 

Ignorance is anything but bliss.

Sarah Pacatte, Gabriel Mordecai's Mom

StillLovingMyGabriel.com          DeadlyGamesChildrenPlay.com      NickSerna.com

Thank you for sharing your pain to help keep other parents from having to face the same pain.  You are a courageous mother and I promise to keep you, your mission and your family in my prayers. 

December 30, 2006, 4:00 am CST

Quote From: lisam11463

I'm 42 yrs old and was just mortified to hear that kids are doing this choking game.  I wasn't surprised to hear that it causes seizures due to lack of oxygen.  I was born with epilepsy 42 yrs ago and doctors are almost convinced I was born with the epilepsy due to lack of oxygen while my mother was in labor with me for 16 hours. 

Living with seizures for 31 years was not easy and I wouldn't wish it upon anyone.  People are still living in the ice age when it comes to wanting to become better educated on epilepsy and what to do if someone has a seizure. 

I was very fortunate to have been referred to some fabulous doctors in Syracuse, NY by my Neurologist in Pennsylvania.  I underwent 15 1/2 hours of left temporal surgery on December 15, 1994 and have been completely seizure free ever since.  I really wish that Dr. Phil would do a show on epilepsy so that people could understand it better and so that these kids who are doing the choking game as well as other things they are doing can cause a lifetime of sheer agony. 

This choking game, sniffing aerosol cans, etc...it's just not funny.  Wake up kids, you are completely ruining if not ending your lives and just causing so much pain and agony to those who love you.   

Lisa-Marie 

Oh my gosh your a fellow epilepsy brain surgery survivor.  I just had surgery to deal with it in 2005.  It has changed my life.  I am sorry to hear about what your kid were doing.  I hope they don't develope seizures from it.  Im recovering well from the surgery accept for Im having difficulties getting my license back after it.  I think the RMV is prejiduce against disabled people.

Keep Cool
Ethan

August 27, 2008, 3:03 am CDT

Quote From: lisam11463

I'm 42 yrs old and was just mortified to hear that kids are doing this choking game.  I wasn't surprised to hear that it causes seizures due to lack of oxygen.  I was born with epilepsy 42 yrs ago and doctors are almost convinced I was born with the epilepsy due to lack of oxygen while my mother was in labor with me for 16 hours. 

Living with seizures for 31 years was not easy and I wouldn't wish it upon anyone.  People are still living in the ice age when it comes to wanting to become better educated on epilepsy and what to do if someone has a seizure. 

I was very fortunate to have been referred to some fabulous doctors in Syracuse, NY by my Neurologist in Pennsylvania.  I underwent 15 1/2 hours of left temporal surgery on December 15, 1994 and have been completely seizure free ever since.  I really wish that Dr. Phil would do a show on epilepsy so that people could understand it better and so that these kids who are doing the choking game as well as other things they are doing can cause a lifetime of sheer agony. 

This choking game, sniffing aerosol cans, etc...it's just not funny.  Wake up kids, you are completely ruining if not ending your lives and just causing so much pain and agony to those who love you.   

Lisa-Marie 

Lisa, this is horrible I was shocked to come across this as it scared me...I have had seizures grand mal,petit mal,and partials since I was 14 yrs old and I am now 44.  The things alot of kids do are shocking to me I even got to the point where I could no longer watch the news as it was so sad that the top stories were kids doing this kind of stuff and ending such a wonderfull life they could of had.. Alot of people fight everyday. I am glad to hear that you were able to have this surgery, and that it did work :) I also agree That would be a good show on dr.phils.

I have allways hoped there was a way to let others know what to do if people have a seizure but never knew where to start.

skeetercatt1

April 23, 2009, 12:17 pm CDT

Blake Conant and the choking game

My nephew, Blake Conant, who I raised since he was two years old, died on April 16, 2009 from the choking game.  He was playing it alone with a dog choke collar.  He did not know to remove something and it only got tighter has he struggled to get it off.  He was 15 years old.  I was told that he was caught at his middle school doing this with friends while at school last year and not one parent was notified. I have sent the web address to the CDC's "Choking game" to every school in my county to let parents, educators and others so that they know what signs to look for in students as well as their own children. I had never heard of this "game" until Blake died and would have given anything to be educated on it.

First | Prev | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | Next Page | Last Page