Message Boards

Topic : 12/21 Shocking Teen Trends

Number of Replies: 224
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 23, 2005, 04:43:49 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Airdate: 09/27/05) It's a game many kids call "Space Monkey," or "the choking game," but the consequences could be deadly. Robin witnessed her 14-year-old daughter and her friends giggling, choking and passing out. But what Robin saw was no laughing matter. Find out why her daughter enjoys the game, despite its dangerous repercussions. Then, Sarah's 13-year-old son made headlines when he died playing the choking game. How can she move past the guilt? Plus, Dr. Phil addresses a trend that looks innocent on the surface, but can affect teens in the worst way.  Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More December 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 27, 2005, 8:19 am CDT

Re: Choking Game

Quote From: pacatte

It is my hope that when this show airs, teachers, school administrators,doctors, medical examiners and coroners will start to take this seriously: I pray that teachers and school administrators especially, will start to warn and educate about this deadly game. It would be a small matter for them to include warning and educating about this thrill seeking 

(LtoR Samuel,Me,Elizabeth,Arthur and Gabriel...We miss him.) behavior into pre existing curriculam such as 'drug awareness' 'red ribbion week', etc.  I wish I had known this game killed and continues to kill children. There have been five other deaths from this game since Gabriel's in May of 2005. 

Thank you Dr. Phil for seeing the urgency and importance of informing the public. Thank you so much Amy, Gaylin and Astra for sticking it out with us. Russell, oh you sweet man you! Thank you for being so kind to Samuel... I will always be grateful that it was this group of people who worked with us! 

Much fondness and, 

Still Loving All Four Of My Children, 

Sarah 

http://StillLovingMyGabriel.com 

I just finished watching this episode of Dr. Phil.  What a shocking story!  The whole time that I watched the show I kept thinking  that Dr. Phil needed to tell Sarah not to lose both of her sons to this horrible epidemic!  I applaud Sarah for bringing this to our attention.  It would just be a shame to lose Samuel to this also.  I'm not saying that he'd choke himself, but that by disconnecting with him, she is effectively losing this son also.  Please Sarah, enjoy Samuel.  As hard as it may be to do things with him that you used to also share with Gabriel, it is necessary to spend this time with Samuel.  I hope that you went to the Spa that Dr Phil arranged for you because I feel that it is necessary that you make time to spend with Samuel & that he realizes that you love him.  I'm not saying any of this to be accusatory or anything remotely like that, just that kids need reassurance & when a parent disconnects, they tend to feel it's their fault.   

Now, to do my part.  Dr. Phil is shown twice a day in my area.  It will air again at 5pm tonight & I will make sure that both of my boys (11 & 16) are sitting in the living room with me to watch this show.  I can only hope that neither one has heard of this let alone participated in it!  So, we will be watching it tonight & discussing it afterwards.  Thanks Sarah, for informing us of this 'game'! 

My sincerest condolences to Sarah, your family, friends, & anyone else that has been touched by this & similar tragedies. 

Mitzy 

September 27, 2005, 8:28 am CDT

Sarah

I am so sorry for you and your son's loss...I can not imagine... 

I tho thank you for your strength to come on the show and tell your story....Like I posted earlier I have never heard of it and now my kids are in school things like this scare me...Thank you so very much. 

September 27, 2005, 9:00 am CDT

BEWARE....ANOTHER GAME BEING PLAYED

I too am very sorry to hear about your loss Sarah.  It is unfortunate that a parent should have to bury their child.  But while I was reading these messages it reminded me of an email that I had recieved a lil while back.  A police officer sent out a message about the death of his son and what had happened. 

The game is called "Dusting" and what kids are doing is using a product called "Dust Off".  Dust off is used to blow the dust off of the computer.  Following is a few parts of the email.  So while we are telling our children about the dangers of the "Choking game" please be sure to talk to them about this one.   

I found out that using Dust Off is being done mostly by kids ages 9 through 15. They even have a name for it. It's called dusting. A take off from the Dust Off name. It gives them a slight high for about 10 seconds. It makes them dizzy. A boy who lives down the street from us showed Kyle how to do this about a month before. Kyle showed his best friend. Told him it was cool and it couldn't hurt you. Its just compressed air. It cant hurt you. His best friend said no.  Kyle was wrong. It's not just compressed air. It also contains a propellant called R2. Its a refrigerant like what is used in your refrigerator. It is a heavy gas. Heavier than air. When you
inhale it, it fills your lungs and keeps the good air, with oxygen, out. That's why you feel dizzy, buzzed. It decreases the oxygen to your brain, to your heart. Kyle was right. It cant hurt you. IT KILLS YOU. The horrible part about this is there is no warning.  There is no level that kills you. It's not cumulative or an overdose; it can just go randomly, terribly wrong. Roll the dice and if your number comes up you die. ITS NOT AN OVERDOSE. Its Russian Roulette. You don't die later. Or not feel good and say I've had too much. You usually die as your breathing it in. If not you die within 2 seconds of finishing "the hit." 
The experts want to call this huffing. The kids don't believe its huffing. As adults we tend to lump many things together. But it doesn't fit here. And that's why its more accepted. There is no chemical reaction. no strong odor. It doesn't follow the huffing signals. Kyle complained a few days before he died of his tongue hurting. It probably did. The propellant causes frostbite. If I had only known.

If you want to read the whole email it can be found at www.snopes.com/toxins/dustoff.asp 

The email and a lot of more information can be found at this website.  Just wanted to inform u all on another.."unknown killer"

September 27, 2005, 10:10 am CDT

luvnmykids

Quote From: luvnmykids

I too am very sorry to hear about your loss Sarah.  It is unfortunate that a parent should have to bury their child.  But while I was reading these messages it reminded me of an email that I had recieved a lil while back.  A police officer sent out a message about the death of his son and what had happened. 

The game is called "Dusting" and what kids are doing is using a product called "Dust Off".  Dust off is used to blow the dust off of the computer.  Following is a few parts of the email.  So while we are telling our children about the dangers of the "Choking game" please be sure to talk to them about this one.   

I found out that using Dust Off is being done mostly by kids ages 9 through 15. They even have a name for it. It's called dusting. A take off from the Dust Off name. It gives them a slight high for about 10 seconds. It makes them dizzy. A boy who lives down the street from us showed Kyle how to do this about a month before. Kyle showed his best friend. Told him it was cool and it couldn't hurt you. Its just compressed air. It cant hurt you. His best friend said no.  Kyle was wrong. It's not just compressed air. It also contains a propellant called R2. Its a refrigerant like what is used in your refrigerator. It is a heavy gas. Heavier than air. When you
inhale it, it fills your lungs and keeps the good air, with oxygen, out. That's why you feel dizzy, buzzed. It decreases the oxygen to your brain, to your heart. Kyle was right. It cant hurt you. IT KILLS YOU. The horrible part about this is there is no warning.  There is no level that kills you. It's not cumulative or an overdose; it can just go randomly, terribly wrong. Roll the dice and if your number comes up you die. ITS NOT AN OVERDOSE. Its Russian Roulette. You don't die later. Or not feel good and say I've had too much. You usually die as your breathing it in. If not you die within 2 seconds of finishing "the hit." 
The experts want to call this huffing. The kids don't believe its huffing. As adults we tend to lump many things together. But it doesn't fit here. And that's why its more accepted. There is no chemical reaction. no strong odor. It doesn't follow the huffing signals. Kyle complained a few days before he died of his tongue hurting. It probably did. The propellant causes frostbite. If I had only known.

If you want to read the whole email it can be found at www.snopes.com/toxins/dustoff.asp 

The email and a lot of more information can be found at this website.  Just wanted to inform u all on another.."unknown killer"

Hi I  read your post and unfortunately this is not new either.Huffing has been going on for quite awhile and its used alot on the streets i know i can see a spray can on the streets and know probably some kid was huffing.And its not just dust off either they also take gas from gas cans and huff it also .Its terrible and i can't imagine the headache these kids have to be having after this high is gone.They'll huff anything they can get their hands on and yes its a sudden high or a sudden death .thanks for the info though .Sorry to hear about Kyle was he your son or relative? take care thanks again.cathy

September 27, 2005, 10:16 am CDT

ritzimitzy

Quote From: ritzimitzy

I just finished watching this episode of Dr. Phil.  What a shocking story!  The whole time that I watched the show I kept thinking  that Dr. Phil needed to tell Sarah not to lose both of her sons to this horrible epidemic!  I applaud Sarah for bringing this to our attention.  It would just be a shame to lose Samuel to this also.  I'm not saying that he'd choke himself, but that by disconnecting with him, she is effectively losing this son also.  Please Sarah, enjoy Samuel.  As hard as it may be to do things with him that you used to also share with Gabriel, it is necessary to spend this time with Samuel.  I hope that you went to the Spa that Dr Phil arranged for you because I feel that it is necessary that you make time to spend with Samuel & that he realizes that you love him.  I'm not saying any of this to be accusatory or anything remotely like that, just that kids need reassurance & when a parent disconnects, they tend to feel it's their fault.   

Now, to do my part.  Dr. Phil is shown twice a day in my area.  It will air again at 5pm tonight & I will make sure that both of my boys (11 & 16) are sitting in the living room with me to watch this show.  I can only hope that neither one has heard of this let alone participated in it!  So, we will be watching it tonight & discussing it afterwards.  Thanks Sarah, for informing us of this 'game'! 

My sincerest condolences to Sarah, your family, friends, & anyone else that has been touched by this & similar tragedies. 

Mitzy 

Hi  i read your post.I am sure that Sarah doesn't mean to be distancing herself from Samuel i think she probably is trying so hard to see that this is not going to happen to another child.I know by reading the old boards that this something she has been fighting for so we can keep our kids safe from this dangerous game.I too hope that she does stayed connected to Samuel also.I am sure he needs to be reassured too.I will be watching this also and my 15 yr old by my side as well.She has heard of this game and says its nothing new its been around along time.Although she has seen it she says she would never particpate in it.But i will be having her watch also since i have beeen campaigning to get this on air on the old boards before these ones came up.That was where i first heard of it thanks to Sarah's website i saw and read. www.lovingmygabriel.com  . thanks again to Sarah and my deepest sympathies to her and samuel and the rest of the family.Also to those who have lost someone due to this dangerous game.cathy

September 27, 2005, 10:36 am CDT

this is horrible!

I never new about this game until I heard about this on the news and other shows.  I thinks this is horrible game for kids to play .   Just when we think we know what to watch out for ,  Something comes along to make are jobs as  parents harder.  I hope more info comes out about this and we can learn the warning signs.  I have two young boys and worry all the time that what I teach them may not sink in before there old enough to start making choices.  I knew to teach them about violence, drugs, bulling and alcohol but it seems like I have one more thing to add to the list.   

Tracy 

September 27, 2005, 11:15 am CDT

charges filed against teen......

Last year in our HIgh School a teen choked another teen while showing off to his buddies that it is only going to make him pass out just like the "pass out" game. When the boys father found out later in the day what had happened to his son while in school, he pressed charges on the other boy for choking his son. The boy was suspended from school. The "pass out" game is running rampid on the school campus mainly with the "football" players. They do this to each other to see who can make the other pass out first. They think this makes them "tough". I would advise everyone to e-mail their local schools this story that is on air today. We have to start protecting our children not just from themselves, but from other individuals as well.

September 27, 2005, 12:09 pm CDT

Shocking Teen Trends

I feel sorry for their loss in their son Gabriel. That is so tragic. This must be stopped TODAY! I would never let my friends or even family get involved in something so distructive as that. That puts knots in my stomach. What is wrong with the teenagers today? We have to do something to make them listen. God bless you parents out there. I salute you all.

September 27, 2005, 12:25 pm CDT

the choking game

When my daughter was in high school.  She came home one day with look of utter disgust on her face.  When I asked her what was wrong.  She told me some kids in her high school were playing a game called "Fainting".  She said they would grab the throat and squeeze until the person fainted.  I asked her if she tried it and she said once and found it to be toldly disgusting and had better things to do.  I am happy to say my daughter is 24 years old, a college grad and the thought of "Fainting" or choking for a high is still disgusting.

September 27, 2005, 12:33 pm CDT

This is not a new game.

I read the post by Donna and agree that "choking" is not a new game.  I am 41 years old and am embarrassed to say we played this in high school!  The last time I ever let someone do this to me, I have no idea how long I was out, but the others could not bring me out of it and so one of my friends slapped me across the face so hard to bring me back, that I literally had her hand print on my face for hours afterwards.  Of course, I now realize how stupid it was, but back then we just thought of it as more of a "fainting" thing.  At the risk of sounding like I'm defending the kids, I think that is what is going on with the kids that do this today.  I don't think they realize the dangers and look at it as more of a fainting thing rather then asphyxiation.  I truly hope that more work is done to educate teens on the dangers of this game.  I can't believe we were ever stupid enough to do this. 

Lisa 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last