Message Boards

Topic : 12/21 Shocking Teen Trends

Number of Replies: 224
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 23, 2005, 04:43:49 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Airdate: 09/27/05) It's a game many kids call "Space Monkey," or "the choking game," but the consequences could be deadly. Robin witnessed her 14-year-old daughter and her friends giggling, choking and passing out. But what Robin saw was no laughing matter. Find out why her daughter enjoys the game, despite its dangerous repercussions. Then, Sarah's 13-year-old son made headlines when he died playing the choking game. How can she move past the guilt? Plus, Dr. Phil addresses a trend that looks innocent on the surface, but can affect teens in the worst way.  Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More December 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 27, 2005, 1:10 pm CDT

Murder?

How about this young lady getting charged with murder, if the person she "chokes" dies???

September 27, 2005, 1:27 pm CDT

09/27 Shocking Teen Trends

Quote From: texast

How about this young lady getting charged with murder, if the person she "chokes" dies???
I really wish Dr. Phil would have addressed this and really STRESSED the fact that yes, you could end up sitting the rest of your life in prison for killing another person playing this "game".

September 27, 2005, 2:13 pm CDT

I don't have many memories of my childhood, but while watching Dr. Phil's show today it brought back a vivid memory.  I am currently 44 years old and remember doing something similar during childhood.  I'm not sure exactly how old I was, but I know it was while I was in middle school.  I was a child who never got into trouble, did very well in school and was very shy, but I remember now that I did not think there was anything wrong in trying this.  I remember being at a neighbors house with some other friends and one of them teaching us how to do this.  I remember we also thought it was funny watching the person as they were unconscious.  I can't believe how stupid we were and also how lucky we were that nothing serious happened.  Just so everyone knows, I remember we did it by breathing in and out very quickly about 10 tens while someone stood behind you.  The person behind you had their hands around you and put their hands very similarly like you do while doing the Heimlech manuever, but you placed your hands up higher, closer to where your heart is located.  After the last breath, you would hold your breath while the person behind you would squeeze as hard as they could which would make the person pass out.  I know we never did this by choking them around their neck, but it had the same effect. 

I only remember doing this a few times, which I now know is a few times too many.  I really have not thought about it over the years.  It amazes me how much I now remember about this, just by listening to the guests today.  I'm just hoping I can convince my children not to be as stupid as I was and have more respect for their lives. 

September 27, 2005, 2:23 pm CDT

Teen Trends

I just watched the show today on choking and thought to myself that this doesn't happen here, in a small town in Canada. Well, I discussed it with my two daughters, age 11 and 14 and was shocked to hear that this goes on here as well. It could be in the school bathroom or in a home. Both have witnessed it but denied doing it. I'll never know for sure. But your show opened their eyes and they said they didn't know it was that dangerous. They just thought it was funny. I will now research the other three topics Dr. Phil referred to: "car surfing, farming and dusting" as I don't know what they are about. Thanks for educating us!

September 27, 2005, 2:24 pm CDT

helium

first i want to express my sympathy to every family who has lost a child to teen trends. i want to tell you to also look for other teen trends like, smelling heliumfrom balloons.  my son who was 15 at the time, was with his friends at an apt. pool.  they were taking helium filled balloons and taking in the air from the balloon into their lungs and getting a rush from it. well my son passed out and fell into the pool. his friends did not think anything about it, they thought he was playing around they were swimming and having fun with the balloons. well, finally someone saw him at the bottom of the deep end, under water and jumped in to rescue him. noone knew how long he had been there... he was medflighted to a childrens hospital and stayed on life support for a week. then he woke up and is a very intelligent young man now. it was a miracle that he lived..because of the drowning and helium. so i just wanted to tell parents to watch for this too. it was a horrble experience. i got lucky and my child lived.

September 27, 2005, 2:26 pm CDT

This type of game is absolutely horrible. Most of the people posting on this topic say that they've heard of it played in middle and high school, well when I went to school (I'm only 23) this game was played in elementary school, mostly by girls in grades 3-5. They played the game slightly differently, instead of choking the person after they breathed heavily, the person was punched in the stomach as they held their breath. My friends and I never played this game because we thought it was ridiculous, and our elementary school very quickly put an end to this game.

September 27, 2005, 2:27 pm CDT

Goodness, I thought I wouldn't write any more messages

Just 2 remarks:  

1. I'm glad that people have mentioned the legal trouble that could result from a choking death.   

2. Regarding Sarah & Samuel - wow, what a nice young guy to tolerate all of that adult attention with such good grace.  Notice that he kept his arms crossed - a bit of self-protective body armor.   

I hope that his family rembers that he might be feeling lots of guilt - perhaps he participated with his brother or at the very least probably thinks he should have "fixed" the problem ahead-of-time.  He might even feel that his mother's distance is because she's secretly mad at him for not "telling" on his brother and because he's still here.  Let's hope all the best for this family.  

September 27, 2005, 2:29 pm CDT

teen

i came home sick from school today and was able to wake up and catch dr. phil. i was surprised to see how serious this game could be because back when i was in seventh and eighth grade (i am now in the tenth), i was taught by a group of girls at a slumber party how to play. at first i just watched, shocked at how this affected some of them. we didnt call it the "choking game" we called it zorro. after watching them, i decided that i would give it a try one night with a couple of friends. i bent over and took in about 10 to 12 deep breaths and then came back up fast and pressed my hands around my neck so that i passed out. the next thing i remember was waking up giggly but having no recollection of the past few minutes. it was kind of a thrill but i had no idea how serious it really is. now i will think twice about putting my life in danger for a 2 minute black out. i will definetly do my best to prevent my friends and the people around me from playing this game ever again, the risk just isnt worth it.  

September 27, 2005, 2:44 pm CDT

other dangerous teen trends

Right before the part in the show were they talked about the kid who was addicted to the computer and cell phone they showed a video that had little snatches about other teen trends but they didn't go into a discussion about any of them. One of the things mentioned was adderal. Anyone have any idea what that was about?

also, Dr.Phil mentioned a websight that has supposedly been helpful to him and that he said there was supposed to a link to it from this websight. Anyone know what the websight was or where the link is?

September 27, 2005, 2:49 pm CDT

Quote From: brittany08

i came home sick from school today and was able to wake up and catch dr. phil. i was surprised to see how serious this game could be because back when i was in seventh and eighth grade (i am now in the tenth), i was taught by a group of girls at a slumber party how to play. at first i just watched, shocked at how this affected some of them. we didnt call it the "choking game" we called it zorro. after watching them, i decided that i would give it a try one night with a couple of friends. i bent over and took in about 10 to 12 deep breaths and then came back up fast and pressed my hands around my neck so that i passed out. the next thing i remember was waking up giggly but having no recollection of the past few minutes. it was kind of a thrill but i had no idea how serious it really is. now i will think twice about putting my life in danger for a 2 minute black out. i will definetly do my best to prevent my friends and the people around me from playing this game ever again, the risk just isnt worth it.  

I remember that game being played and alot of the other things talked about on Dr.Phil when I was in high school some 10 years ago.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last