Message Boards

Topic : 12/21 Shocking Teen Trends

Number of Replies: 224
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 23, 2005, 04:43:49 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Airdate: 09/27/05) It's a game many kids call "Space Monkey," or "the choking game," but the consequences could be deadly. Robin witnessed her 14-year-old daughter and her friends giggling, choking and passing out. But what Robin saw was no laughing matter. Find out why her daughter enjoys the game, despite its dangerous repercussions. Then, Sarah's 13-year-old son made headlines when he died playing the choking game. How can she move past the guilt? Plus, Dr. Phil addresses a trend that looks innocent on the surface, but can affect teens in the worst way.  Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More December 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 27, 2005, 2:53 pm CDT

09/27 Shocking Teen Trends

Quote From: pacatte

It is my hope that when this show airs, teachers, school administrators,doctors, medical examiners and coroners will start to take this seriously: I pray that teachers and school administrators especially, will start to warn and educate about this deadly game. It would be a small matter for them to include warning and educating about this thrill seeking 

(LtoR Samuel,Me,Elizabeth,Arthur and Gabriel...We miss him.) behavior into pre existing curriculam such as 'drug awareness' 'red ribbion week', etc.  I wish I had known this game killed and continues to kill children. There have been five other deaths from this game since Gabriel's in May of 2005. 

Thank you Dr. Phil for seeing the urgency and importance of informing the public. Thank you so much Amy, Gaylin and Astra for sticking it out with us. Russell, oh you sweet man you! Thank you for being so kind to Samuel... I will always be grateful that it was this group of people who worked with us! 

Much fondness and, 

Still Loving All Four Of My Children, 

Sarah 

http://StillLovingMyGabriel.com 

I just want you to know how much my heart ached as I watched this episode.  It ached for the loss of your son but more for you and your family.  Three years ago this month my friends and family grieved over a very similar incident.  A 13 year old boy , whose family is very cose to me died from choking himself in his house.  He was also a twin, this is what got me so interested in your story.  I can't imagine how you are feeling after your loss.  The week he died was truly the sadest time in my life.  At first I couldnt imagine how God could take such a child, but my anger quickly turned to sadness for the entire family.  It was harder for me to see how they were dealing with it, than it was to deal with the death.  Just keep in mind how important your family is to you and keep them close, I also know how hard it is to see Gabriels brother growing up and how he reminds you of what was and could have been.  But, three years later I am so thankful that I get to see him and be reminded of his brother.  Work hard to keep your relations up with your family, the hard work will truely pay off.   

God Bless and I will keep you in my prayers. 

( I am going to try and let this family know about your story, I really think you could both benefit from eachother) 

Tara 

September 27, 2005, 2:55 pm CDT

Sam

I was relieved to see that Sam was very real.  When Dr. Phil said "you have to reach out to him today" the boy replied:  "Don't really reach out to me."  Obviously Sam is a regular kid (which is a wonderful thing) who has been thrust into the spotlight.  Whatever he does--grieve, laugh, enjoy, hurt--he, like anyone else, needs to do it privately.  I pray that he and his mother would be able to have a less public grieving process (or whatever process is healthiest for them) after this experience.  I don't think there's anything wrong with Sarah being an advocate to educate children of the dangers of this game, but I hope for herself and for Sam she will be able to balance that.  I am impressed that she is STILL working (at her paying job, I mean), because MANY people would not be able to do that, and that is completely understandable.  

Sam and his brother both remind me of a childhood friend, it is remarkable how much they look like him, which has helped me to be empathetic in this situation.  If my friend had a twin brother and lost him, I know it would have been VERY difficult.  I certainly hope the LORD will take this event and use it for good in the lives of Sarah and Sam. 

September 27, 2005, 3:05 pm CDT

Website

Quote From: just16

Right before the part in the show were they talked about the kid who was addicted to the computer and cell phone they showed a video that had little snatches about other teen trends but they didn't go into a discussion about any of them. One of the things mentioned was adderal. Anyone have any idea what that was about?

also, Dr.Phil mentioned a websight that has supposedly been helpful to him and that he said there was supposed to a link to it from this websight. Anyone know what the websight was or where the link is?
You can find a link to the website "Connect with Kids" that mentioned on the show in the "Special Thanks" box on the right side on this page:  http://www.drphil.com/shows/show/585/

September 27, 2005, 3:11 pm CDT

Oh Geez........

Just like another member of the board, I heard about this "game" on Dateline. I was soo shocked. And no offence to anyone who has lost a loved one over that, but that game is just STUPID. Why would anyone try to choke themselves if they don't really want to hurt themselves, but only do it to GET HIGH???????? It's just nuts!

September 27, 2005, 3:12 pm CDT

I Feel Saddened

Dear Dr.Phil and Fans, 

My name is Donna and I'm 15 years old and I attend the 10th grade in Ontario Canada. I watched your show today on: Shocking Teen Trends and it just broke my heart. I feel terrible for the families who lost their child(ren) and I dont understand why. I mean its to get high but will somebody explain how that gets you high? It makes me sad because it takes me back to June 3rd when I lost a school mate to drowing. This guy had an excellent attendance record, he had a positive attitude, he was terrific with his family and was caring all around. NOBODY knew this  was coming and if they did they would have stopped those kids from skipping school that day.  Ever since my first visitation ever ( chris's) I think i've developed PTSD and other anxiety disorders. I cope everyday and i want to tell these coping families out there that it takes time and healing but someday we will all be together so live your life to the fullest and celebrate the lives that these wonderful people had. 

Sincerly a dr phil fan  

Donna 

September 27, 2005, 3:13 pm CDT

This is an old game with a new name.

I first want to say...... I am 41 years old.  When I was about 14-15 my friends and I had played a game just like this one ....back then we had called it "knock out".  Played alittle differently but never the less the same result..  As a teenage we had felt there was nothing wrong it was just fun.  But as an adult OMG what were we thinking.   I have not thought about those time since then . I thought it was a game that had fizzdle out. i guess I was wrong. I have to children of my own now and you can beat I will be paying attention to make sure this isnt something that they are playing. 

We were so lucky that nothing ever happen to my group.   

lyn 

September 27, 2005, 3:22 pm CDT

Sarah.....

Quote From: pacatte

It is my hope that when this show airs, teachers, school administrators,doctors, medical examiners and coroners will start to take this seriously: I pray that teachers and school administrators especially, will start to warn and educate about this deadly game. It would be a small matter for them to include warning and educating about this thrill seeking 

(LtoR Samuel,Me,Elizabeth,Arthur and Gabriel...We miss him.) behavior into pre existing curriculam such as 'drug awareness' 'red ribbion week', etc.  I wish I had known this game killed and continues to kill children. There have been five other deaths from this game since Gabriel's in May of 2005. 

Thank you Dr. Phil for seeing the urgency and importance of informing the public. Thank you so much Amy, Gaylin and Astra for sticking it out with us. Russell, oh you sweet man you! Thank you for being so kind to Samuel... I will always be grateful that it was this group of people who worked with us! 

Much fondness and, 

Still Loving All Four Of My Children, 

Sarah 

http://StillLovingMyGabriel.com 

As I watched the show today. I didn’t just see a grieving mother. I saw a very thin, very kind woman with some of the saddest eyes I’ve ever seen. I think that in telling your story, Gabriel’s story and sweet Samuel’s story, you put America on alert regarding this appalling anoxic ‘game’ that took your Gabriel. Both you and Samuel have sustained an immeasurable loss. There really aren’t words to define the kind of hurt that I saw in your eyes and on your faces. I wanted to just wrap my arms around you and Samuel. While I can’t do that, I can tell you that I saw tears in the eyes of those who were watching in the studio audience. I don’t think that there is a parent or child in the national audience who didn’t see what I saw. Your message was CLEARLY HEARD. 

I personally believe that your drive to inform others is a testament to the kind of mother and person you are. You are courageous and you have the tenacity needed to again embrace Samuel and again to re-embrace life. Dr. Phil discussed with you and Samuel the fact that he has not felt nurtured in the wake of this overwhelming loss. You haven’t been nurturing YOU, either! I believe that part of your healing maybe in again engaging life with Samuel. It’s not JUST that he needs you. You need him! He’s part of the miracle you created! You and Samuel DESERVE a life with some measure of happiness.  

The next time you feel compelled to remain at the computer until you forehead hit’s the screen ask yourself if Gabriel would want that for his mother. 

I’ll have you Samuel and your family in my prayers. I hope that with each new day all of you will have just a little bit more happiness, comfort and peace than you had the day before. 

Brenda 

September 27, 2005, 3:23 pm CDT

Shocking Teen Trends

This subject does not go away as these children get older, it simply becomes AEA. I would consider it the adult version of the game. You can research it on the web if you want to know its history. My brother died from it five years ago and my family still has not come to terms with it. Nobody wants to talk about, not even the celebrity families that have lost loved ones this way. These are thrill seeking children and adults. They are not any different than people who jump out of planes, race fast cars or ride motorcycles. They know what they do is unsafe, that is the thrill for them. They truly do not think it will kill them. Teenagers are especially vunerable, because they think they are indestructible. We all thought we were at that age. You need to find these children an outlet for their energy. The people who do this are quite often of very high intellect, maybe lacking in common sense, but certainly not lacking intellligence. They are simply bored, unchallenged and are looking for excitement. This problem will not go away by simply talking about it. Get them involved in other things so they are not sitting around with nothing to do after school. This kids need our time not our instructions.

September 27, 2005, 3:34 pm CDT

09/27 Shocking Teen Trends

I am 33 years old and I remember playing a game that caused me to pass out. It was not the choking game. I was with several friends and one told me to bend over and stand up while taking deep breaths in and out. I was to keep doing this until he felt that I was ready. Then he told me to hurry and cross my hands over my chest. He then stood behind me and hugged me really tight. I remember dreaming. I remeber the dream like it was yesterday. Next thing I know, I was being slapped in the face. My friends told me that they had trouble waking me. I never played that game again. I am saddened to hear of the losses of these precious children. I have an 11 year old daughter. I had her watch the show today and I also told her of my experience. I hope she listened and not just heard me.

September 27, 2005, 3:38 pm CDT

choking game

this game should be outlawed. 

children die from choking. 

lucyjane 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last