Message Boards

Topic : 09/28 Overmedicating America: The Cruise Controversy

Number of Replies: 743
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 23, 2005, 04:45:47 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

When Tom Cruise gave his opinion about the drugging of America, he created a firestorm of controversy. Are we an overmedicated nation? Dave and Jill feel as if their 7-year-old son is holding them hostage in their own home. He's on three medications, but his uncontrollable fits of rage are destroying their marriage. Is this a real medical issue or a parenting problem? Then, two women with powerful personal stories debate the "Cruise controversy." They both think their opinion is right, but what does Dr. Phil think? Plus, an outraged father confronts his ex-wife and demands that she stop medicating their 9-year-old son. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More September 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 28, 2005, 7:56 am CDT

Who the hle......

Who the hell is Tom Cruise and why are we even listening to a member of a cult??? Jeez, People! He is an actor. He pretends to be characters. A script is placed in front of him and he repeats the words of someone else. There is NO talent necessary to be a movie star in this day- just the ability to look good. Editing and airbrushing take care of everything else. He belongs to a cult- Scientology. Last year we all criticized a sect of the Mormon church for its teachings. Its the same difference. Cult leader/cult follower- they just want more recruits and this is another way to do it.  Take a deep breath America, and rethink who our heroes should be- the guy down the road who saved your house in a fire as a volunteer and teaches your kids chemistry, or some poser who pretends to be something in a movie???????? 

PS I still can't correct the titles on this new board- please excuse me............  

September 28, 2005, 8:01 am CDT

Overmedicated

i know the terror of overmedicating i was once a victim of it i was diaognosed with severe depression when i was a teen and then told it was a chemical imbalance of the brain the doctors got a great idea that they should give me some meds to cure ithe imbalance and a upper to pep me up what they didnt realize was that instead of helping me they made me a comatose zombie sleeping 20+ hours a day drowsy and sleepy when awake i was not able to stay awake in school i was not able to stay awake on the bus i slept for mthe time i got home to the time i got up for school the next day if i could wake up and the doctors said i was getting better i dont blame doctors for the condition but they have to check better on what the side effects to the patients is the anti-depressent had a warning may cause depression america relies too much on drugs but if we are programmed to then we are programmed to 

Thank you 

September 28, 2005, 8:26 am CDT

Today's show!

Greetings everyone! 

My husband and I watched the show this morning, both he and I feel that medicine works well for those who have a good reaction to it.  Most doctors prescribe medicines to people hoping that it will work for them, however many of these doctors do not know how that certain medicine will react to one's body.  This is why most doctors give patients the known side-effects to what might happen to one's body when taken.  All pharmcies give out the possible side-effects as well.   

Granted I do believe that most doctors use medicines as an easy fix, especially when it comes to our children, however its up to the parent to make the proper decision as to what is best for their children.  Do your own research about what the doctor might be wanting to prescribe...education is the key to knowing the most that we can about the medicines out there.  

September 28, 2005, 8:29 am CDT

Emotionally Lost

I agree with a lot of what has been said, but I am 24 years old and I believe that there are over medicating of people in America. I have seen psychologists, psychiatrists, medical doctors, Therapists. I have been diagnosed with Bipolar, manic depression, despression, and OCD. I have taken xanex, lithium, zoloft, celexia, and valium. I am still not the best today, and am very confused. Sometime I think it depends on the doctor you see. 

September 28, 2005, 8:36 am CDT

Finally

Thank-you for allowing more conversation about such an important matter. My son was diagnosed ADHD, ODD at the age of 5. Since then he has been on a cocktail of meds . I want to know again what was the tests that were given to find the diagnosis to be true. I hate that my son is on these medications and I would love to take him off but, THEY WORK and we see a tremendous difference in his mood, communication, how he just deals with everything. He has a younger sister and she is not like this at all and doing very well in school. My husband is in the military and we move alot. We chose to move out to the country to see if it would help and it did. I can not go to another school and start from scratch where teachers are telling me what is what over the doctors orders. I know it is against the law. I had the other problem where schools would not take the diagnosis seriouslly. He too wanted to kill himself. Many nights I slept with him in his own bed. After being here in Virginia for 4 years and staying another 2 for sure, I am comfortable saying that he has a problem that is being dealt with and we getting accomadations in his IEP (Individual Education Plan). I just hope that I do not need to resort to Lawyers to get him the help he needs to do his work and live happily. These over medicated youngsters are making it truelly harder for the ones that needed it the most!!! We need to find a way to make it diagnosable with facts! I will definately get the ADHD ANSWER!!!!!!! Thank-you DR. PHIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is a long road but I hope everyone will come together with as much help and solutions as we can without blame!!!

September 28, 2005, 8:36 am CDT

Not simply a Black and White Issue...

I think it's important to realize that the issue of medication with regards to mental illness is not simply black and white. Medications that attempt to weaken the effects of illnesses such as depression, OCD, Bi-Polar etc, are not for everyone and can have dangerous side effects. However, for many people such medications decrease the effects of their mental illness and allow them to regain their life. One of my best friends suffers from severe depression. Her doctor first tried to change her diet, exercise routine and start her on vitamins. She did all this with little result. It was only until she started taking Prozac along with eating well, taking vitamins and exercising that she was able to get out of bed in the morning and make her kids breakfast and walk the dog and clean her house and do all the little things so many people take for granted. As for Tom Cruise...well...what can we say..he's an actor...a clearly uneducated, extremely ignorant and unbelievably arrogant  actor....that's it, nothing more....I'm not sure why so many people are suddenly supporting his ideas regarding mental illness medications?  

Perhaps those same people who agree with Tom Cruise would like to hear Hilary Duff's position regarding the positive effects of nuclear weapons? 

September 28, 2005, 8:55 am CDT

I Agree....

Quote From: queentween

Who the hell is Tom Cruise and why are we even listening to a member of a cult??? Jeez, People! He is an actor. He pretends to be characters. A script is placed in front of him and he repeats the words of someone else. There is NO talent necessary to be a movie star in this day- just the ability to look good. Editing and airbrushing take care of everything else. He belongs to a cult- Scientology. Last year we all criticized a sect of the Mormon church for its teachings. Its the same difference. Cult leader/cult follower- they just want more recruits and this is another way to do it.  Take a deep breath America, and rethink who our heroes should be- the guy down the road who saved your house in a fire as a volunteer and teaches your kids chemistry, or some poser who pretends to be something in a movie???????? 

PS I still can't correct the titles on this new board- please excuse me............  

I completely agree with your statement. So many people today have their idea of a hero muddled! Just because you think a guy has a nice smile and good hair doesn't mean you can trust them....look at the serial killer Ted Bundy...how many people (women) trusted him because of his good looks and look what happened to them....Last time I checked a pearly white grin and styled hair didn't qualify an individual as an expert on mental illness and it's remedies...Someone should tell Tom Cruise to go fly a Kate...Oopps..I mean Kite...  

September 28, 2005, 9:28 am CDT

09/28 Overmedicating America: The Cruise Controversy

First of all, I used to like Tom Cruise but after hearing what he had to say, well, you know the deal. 

Second,  I have a 12 yr old son that was diagnosed with ADHD at 3 1/2 yrs old. At 8 1/2 he started going in and out of a mental hospital. He was in there 5 times within 5 months. His behavior wasn't bad at first. I originally put him in there because I felt that he was on too much medication so I wanted to try to get it cut down. In the process of doing that, it made him worse. After coming out of the hospital for the 5th time he went into a Residential Group Home for 4 months. His Case Manager said that he wasn't ready to come home but the Federal Government made him come home. After he came home, his behavior was somewhat better. He had a CBS Worker. Then, he got molested and his behavior went downhill again. Oh, by the way, while he was going in and out of the hospital, he was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder. He came out of the Group Home at 9 1/2. Now he is doing much better. He was takin Adderall XR and come to find out, that aggitates the Bipolar. He went bacjk into the hospital this past April and so now he is on Depakote and Seroquel. So, now his Bipolar is under control now we are having somewhat of a problem with the ADHD. We are in a Win/Lose situation. I forgot to say that in the mean time of all this happening, he has been beating the h*** out of his 2 younger brothers. I live in a  bedroom home and I did have him and his next younger brother sharing a room. Now, I have put him in a room by himself. I stripped him of all of his belongings. All he has in his room is his bed, clothes and a desk. He has to behave for 2 whole weeks to earn 1 thing back (ex: TV, radio, toys, etc.). He managed to earn his Tv back but then he lost it again. I have found that this has worked the best out of anything I have done punishment wise. We still have a long way to go but at last I can see the light!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 

September 28, 2005, 9:38 am CDT

Overmedicating America

I think that too many parents are not asking enough questions of their pediatricians.  If my pediatrician were to hand me a medication and say, "here, give this to him, it should help."  I would ask numerous questions, as well as research the drug.  I may even seek a 2nd opinion.  I have a big fear of giving my child something that may have a side affect that anyone is aware of.   My husband works as a CPS supervisor and has seen too many times where medication is given to children to aid the family in raising the child 'easier' as well as many pediatricians mis-diagnosing issues.   

Hopefully this show will wake up some parents and make them realize they may need to take a second look. 

September 28, 2005, 9:40 am CDT

Just my opinion

This is just my opinion.  I don't think Tom Cruise had any right  "bashing" Brooke Shields for taking anti-depressants for post partum.  If you have never suffered through this than I don't feel you should be able to "bash" anyone on the subject.  Tom has never had his hormornes go wacky due to pregnancy and birth and never will so how does he know if Brooke was being "weak".   For Kate's sake I hope that if these two ever decide to have children that she doesn't suffer from Post partum.  The can only imagine the feeling of wanting to hurt yourself or worse your child.  It must be horrible.  My sister had post-partum and I can remember her calling me crying and begging me to come over before she did something horrible to her children.  I am very grateful that she was WOMAN enough to admit that she had a PROBLEM and told us (her family) and seen a DR.  She was put on medication and slowly taken off.  Medication was never permanant, but the changes that we seen in her after she started taking it were amazing.  Her kids are 4 and 5 and she is completely off of her meds and has been for quite sometime.  I am scared to think what could have happened had she thought that meds were just a "way out."   

As far as the lady with the bi-polar child.  I feel for you.  I was a Nurses Assistant for 5 years in a hospital.  I worked on the cancer floor but because we were never full we got alot of different patients.  I remember one patient who had been diagnosed with bi-polar and was a frequent patient on our floor.  She would come in because she didn't take the medication that she was supposed to take and was completely out of control.  After getting her back on her meds and "stabalized" she was the sweetest person to talk to and a great person to be around.  Now 3 years later I no longer work at this hospital but have just moved into a new apt and my neighbor has the same "symptoms"  Unfortunately she has a lil boy living with her and I am always hearing screaming and crying coming from their house.  I see the woman in trances standing outside her front door and have numerously seen her "looking" in my windows.   

I am torn on the subject.  Yes I do believe that as Americans we want a "Quick Fix" to everything and that some cases can be treated differently and don't need the use of medicine, but there are definitely situations and mental illnesses that need professional help and also the use of medication.   

I wish you the best of luck with your daughter and i hope that no matter what is "barked" at you on this message board that you will continue to help your daughter and stand up for her.  U are her mother and u are the one who has seen and dealt with her firsthand and only you know what u are up against.  My prayers are with you and your family.  I do believe that through prayer ALL things are possible. 

GOD BLESS!!!!! 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next | Last