Message Boards

Topic : 09/28 Overmedicating America: The Cruise Controversy

Number of Replies: 743
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 23, 2005, 04:45:47 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

When Tom Cruise gave his opinion about the drugging of America, he created a firestorm of controversy. Are we an overmedicated nation? Dave and Jill feel as if their 7-year-old son is holding them hostage in their own home. He's on three medications, but his uncontrollable fits of rage are destroying their marriage. Is this a real medical issue or a parenting problem? Then, two women with powerful personal stories debate the "Cruise controversy." They both think their opinion is right, but what does Dr. Phil think? Plus, an outraged father confronts his ex-wife and demands that she stop medicating their 9-year-old son. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More September 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 19, 2005, 3:45 pm CDT

Michael Moore's contact info

Quote From: renewed

Hi there, 

Just wondering how you contacted Michael Moore?  I am sure there are a few of us on here that would send follow up requests.  There needs to be more exposure and as much as I hate to admit it, it will most likely have to come down to being exposed through Hollywood.  The FDA is surely working slowly on telling the public more since the public advisory warning in July.  I thought that by giving this warning that the ball would start rolling at a better pace....once again I thought wrong :-).  How many more will have to suffer and die before they make more of a public statement?  So many think that these meds only have adverse effects for children, but they do for adults too.  Not that I see many stopping use due to the black box warnings.  Many times we think that we are invincible and can't be touched by that...because it only affects a small percentage right?  Wrong...sometimes I think the only way this will all be resolved is to follow the footsteps of the UK in phasing the meds out.  If a whole country is taking steps towards this isn't that enough 'proof' of the dangers?  Anyway, I was just looking for contact info if you have it and are willing to share.  Thank you for joining in taking a stand on this subject :-).  

You can visit his website at http://www.michaelmoore.com  & his email is mike@michaelmoore.com  I never thought about e-mailing him before until last night when I watched Bowling for Columbine on TV. I've never seen the film before but heard a lot about it. In this documentary he keeps asking everybody...including the President of the NRA....why all the violence in America?  Nobody had an answer. Some Americans seem to think that they didn't watch the same violent movies or play the same violent video games as we do in this country. But as Michael Moore exposed....they do watch the same movies & play the same games & have just as many guns as we do! Again he asks well....why then the violence. 165 shootings in Canada a year compared to over 11,000 shootings here in the US!!! During the whole film all I could think about was.....DRUGS! The 38 million or more prescribed psychotic drugs used to treat the so called "mental illnesses"! Think about it....we are the only country that abuses these drugs like this! There has to be a connection between overmedicating or "overpoisoning" American & the high rate of violence!!! Anyway, I couldn't wait to get up & see if Michael Moore had a website or contact info!  I e-mailed him first thing this morning. I think that this is right up his alley & I think that he would do a great job exposing this fraud! I think anyone & everyone on this board that shares this belief should send him an e-mail with this request. If anyone would like to see a copy of the e-mail I sent him e-mail me at rumshaker@comcast.net   It will take a lot of us pulling together to fight this thing! I am up for trying anything so if anyone has any ideas or suggestions....... 

October 19, 2005, 10:41 pm CDT

Make a quality check report

I found this website through the www.prescriptionforchange.com website. I was able to make a quality complaint report on a hospital where I received psychiatric treatment. You can also make a complaint here against a hospital, HMO, etc. 

http://www.jcaho.org/qualitycheck/directry/consumer/providerType.aspx?zip=55304&dist=3 

October 19, 2005, 11:18 pm CDT

Info on PPD

http://www.cchr.org/publications/post_partum.pdf

October 20, 2005, 7:24 am CDT

09/28 Overmedicating America: The Cruise Controversy

Quote From: badtrip

I haven't diagnosed anyone. I am simply putting a warning out there about drugs that the pharmaceutical industry will not say, and psychiatrists will not say. I think it is a good thing that your son is able to learn. As a former teacher I understand that need. If you read the old messages you will find out more about what I am talking about. No, my son was not misdiagnosed by his teacher, I don't know if you are talking to me when you say that. I don't know where you got that from, which post, whatever. I was the teacher and my son is 15 months old now and I am a stay-at-home mom. I was the one who suffered on Zoloft. I speak from experience about the horrible adverse effects. I am not on here to make parents feel bad about meds, but I do want people to know about the potential for adverse effects and brain damage. Many people do not believe ADHD should be treated with meds. We are all entitled to our opinions but I encourage people to understand that the doctors and drug companies are only working off of theories, and not facts. If you knew the truth about the inadequate and unethical practices of the process of drug approval in this country you might take a second look at the information that is out there. For what it is worth I am glad your son is on meds if it helps him, though I do worry about the effect these meds have on people's brains and bodies long-term, and I think it is necessary that we push for further research into this area. Currently nobody wants to make the effort to discover what the long-term effects of the drugs may be on the human brain. It is a sad fact. 

Please see www.breggin.com for more info. Good luck to you and your family. 

I was not talking to you about diagnosing. That was another message I was responding to. I appreciate the information you are getting out there. I have also been to seminars on children with ADHD and know there is evidence supporting what the medications do. They have done brain scans on normal activity and people with ADHD and there is a definite difference. ADHD patients actually have part of the brain not functioning. With the stimulant that part of the brain does function. My mother is also on an antidepressant that is not addictive, she has no adverse effects and does not go through withdrawals. I appreciate your point of view  and information, but no everyone is the same when it comes to medication either. I agree that there does need to be more strict guidelines on the process getting the drugs out because of all of the recalls.

October 20, 2005, 8:41 am CDT

Quote From: sltell

I was not talking to you about diagnosing. That was another message I was responding to. I appreciate the information you are getting out there. I have also been to seminars on children with ADHD and know there is evidence supporting what the medications do. They have done brain scans on normal activity and people with ADHD and there is a definite difference. ADHD patients actually have part of the brain not functioning. With the stimulant that part of the brain does function. My mother is also on an antidepressant that is not addictive, she has no adverse effects and does not go through withdrawals. I appreciate your point of view  and information, but no everyone is the same when it comes to medication either. I agree that there does need to be more strict guidelines on the process getting the drugs out because of all of the recalls.

Brain scans are not based on a normal population, there is not enough data to support them yet, and a New York Times article from a few days ago covered this topic, saying that doctors admit you can't use them for diagnosing depression or other psychological disorders like ADHD, etc. The brain scan can be affected by whether the patient is sitting or lying. If you are not using an area of your brain, it will not light up as much, if you are, it will light up a lot. It is simple. So just because your brain scan is dark, doesn't mean you are depressed or have ADHD. It just means you aren't using it at the time. It doesn't mean you can't use it, just that you aren't. Depressed individuals do not have the inability to feel happy because of a brain malfunction, they are depressed due to circumstance, and doctors need to be real teachers and not just druggers. People recover not from having their minds blunted, but from creating positive outlooks, having love and interesting lives, and having others help them realize how to heal and cope.  

If you want to use personal anecdotes as examples of proof that the drugs work, why don't you consider the 60% of people for whom the drug does not work, or the equal group of people in clinical trials for whom an active placebo worked just as well, and the many people who died because of "medication?" For example I have a relative who recently started taking antidepressants, has no insight whatsoever into what should really help, and has only gotten more depressed and more sad and more negative and pessimistic on the drug. But I am sure you wouldn't consider that proof that they don't work. 

Some people try to use brain scans to diagnose and show evidence of improvement, but so many experts are admitting that you can't use brain scans to diagnose disorders other than parkinson's and other things like MS or alzheimer's which have a degenerative aspect, and the only other thing those are good for is finding tumors. I posted this in a previous message which was a quotation from a neuroscientist friend and you can also find it elsewhere. I think of brain scans as a lot like a thermal imaging scan of the body. You can't diagnose a psychological disorder on the basis of size of areas of the brain or which blood is flowing where. If a fat person had their body scanned, many organs would appear larger and hotter, but that doesn't make them healthier. A heart scan can show you where blood flows which is important, but only because you want to make sure the heart is not too big or full of blockages. You can't get down to a person's thoughts and behaviors and see what is going wrong based on an image of a brain. Psychology should be all about healing the spirit but instead people blame everything on a chemical imbalance that is not evident in any living human patient. The only chemical imbalances that can be treated are those that are evident from other areas of the body, i.e. hormones. Neurotransmitter targeting drugs affect the way the entire brain works, and incidentally they affect the body as well. Serotonin is key in development and health of smooth muscle tissue such as heart tissue, etc. 

Last night I visited a very sad website called www.ritalindeath.com. I did not know that ritalin could kill you with long term use. This one was not a suicide as far as I can tell, it was just that ritalin ruined this boy's body. 

Is your mom taking her antidepressant regularly? You're not supposed to start and stop it suddenly over and over, either take it every day or slowly cut it down and stop taking it. That is dangerous. I can't see why you would say she doesn't go through withdrawals if she hasn't stopped it before. Antidepressants have a longer half life than Ritalin so you don't go through daily withdrawal like you do with ritalin, which is cleared from the body in one day. To feel the withdrawal from an antidepressant you need to stop taking it for more than a day, and sometimes more than a few weeks before withdrawal sets in. All antidepressants are addictive in some sense, worse for some people than others, because all have withdrawal effects. They are similar to cocaine and LSD and PCP in what they do to your body. 

October 20, 2005, 8:30 pm CDT

another victim of the drug makers!!!!!

http://www.sfexaminer.com/news/20051020_ne01_bay.txt 

this women can be added to the list,  if these drugs are so great then why did this happen again!!!!!!!!    

THIS WOMEN WOULD NOT HAVE DONE THIS IF IT WAS NOT FOR THESE DRUGS I AM SURE....    IT WILL COME OUT AND THEY WILL SOMEHOW DIS CREDIT THIS THEORY!!!!!!!! 

THIS STORY IS JUST LIKE MY STORY THAT I TOLD ON THE DR. PHIL SHOW!!!!  HOW MANY TIMES DO WE HAVE TO HEAR THIS TO UNDERSTAND THAT THIS DOES AND CAN HAPPEN WHEN WE TAKE THESE DRUGS...  MAYBE NOT TO EVERYONE, BUT IT DOES HAPPEN!!!!!  IF IT COMES OUT THAT SHE WAS NOT ON ANY MEDS I WILL BE VERY SURPRISED!!! 

October 20, 2005, 11:21 pm CDT

Quote From: cingular

this women can be added to the list,  if these drugs are so great then why did this happen again!!!!!!!!    

THIS WOMEN WOULD NOT HAVE DONE THIS IF IT WAS NOT FOR THESE DRUGS I AM SURE....    IT WILL COME OUT AND THEY WILL SOMEHOW DIS CREDIT THIS THEORY!!!!!!!! 

THIS STORY IS JUST LIKE MY STORY THAT I TOLD ON THE DR. PHIL SHOW!!!!  HOW MANY TIMES DO WE HAVE TO HEAR THIS TO UNDERSTAND THAT THIS DOES AND CAN HAPPEN WHEN WE TAKE THESE DRUGS...  MAYBE NOT TO EVERYONE, BUT IT DOES HAPPEN!!!!!  IF IT COMES OUT THAT SHE WAS NOT ON ANY MEDS I WILL BE VERY SURPRISED!!! 

Did I miss something? I only read that she was suffering from mental illness. Maybe it is too late at night. Did you read somewhere that she was taking drugs? I wouldn't be surprised I just want to know where you read it or if you are just wondering if we should see about looking into her medical history or contacting the press to try and find out.

October 20, 2005, 11:25 pm CDT

Links on drugs

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/chaada/links/

October 21, 2005, 6:15 am CDT

drugs or illness???

Quote From: cingular

THis mother is said to have schizophrenia. 

SO ... the question will obvioulsy come up what meds she was on and why she was removed from them. If she is a known schizophrenic and was removed from her meds she should have never been left alone to care for herself or her children. 

I wouldn't just go out and start blaming the meds she was or was not on until we have the full facts at which this time the authorities do not even have all the facts so how can you be so rash in your judgement? 

DO you suffer from schizophrenia or any other mental illness? You have no idea what these people go through if you do not. 

They already said she had been on medication but the doctor had recently stopped the medication.  The question I have is why she was left alone with these kids. 

I do agree with you that SOME people, as with any medication can have adverse reactions BUT not ALL people do things like this just because they are on these meds. 

October 21, 2005, 9:23 am CDT

Lashaun Harris, 23, has been charged with three counts of murder and three counts of assault on a child likely to produce great bodily injury resulting in death.

She is accused of stripping the boys naked and tossing them off a San Francisco fishing pier into the bay Wednesday evening.

The boys were identified as Treyshun Harris, 6, Taronta Greely, 2, and Joshoa Greely, 16 months. Only the body of Taronta has been recovered.

Harris, a schizophrenic who had been living in a homeless shelter in recent months, came from a large family, family members said. They said today that she had been ill for a few years and that her condition deteriorated in the last four or five months.

Relatives described her as a good mother who was often overprotective of her children.

One of Harris' sisters, Britney Fitzpatrick, 16, said Harris often did not take her medication. "She doesn't like taking her medication. She told my mommy she'd thrown it away," she said.

Fitzpatrick said Harris would often talk to herself and claimed to hear voices. "What are you laughing about?" family members would often ask her when she began laughing out of context, Fitzpatrick said.

Then on Wednesday morning, she said, Harris made a comment no one believed.

"She told my momma once she was going to feed them to the sharks," Fitzpatrick said.

"No one took her seriously," she said 

I think this is a case of a mentally ill person who would have benefited and been stable if she owuld have continued to take the medications even though she hated it. My daughter hates taking her pills everyday but knows to be able to function she MUST!   

I also think if ONE person in this family took her serious, knowing she was mentally ill these kids woudl still be alive.  When my daughter does anything whether says it, writes it, acts it, etc. I take EVERY precaution to make sure hse doesn't hurt herself. 

This is a case where you cannot say the medications caused this to happen, this was purley UNTREATED illness. 

First | Prev | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | Next | Last