Message Boards

Topic : 09/28 Overmedicating America: The Cruise Controversy

Number of Replies: 743
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 23, 2005, 04:45:47 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

When Tom Cruise gave his opinion about the drugging of America, he created a firestorm of controversy. Are we an overmedicated nation? Dave and Jill feel as if their 7-year-old son is holding them hostage in their own home. He's on three medications, but his uncontrollable fits of rage are destroying their marriage. Is this a real medical issue or a parenting problem? Then, two women with powerful personal stories debate the "Cruise controversy." They both think their opinion is right, but what does Dr. Phil think? Plus, an outraged father confronts his ex-wife and demands that she stop medicating their 9-year-old son. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More September 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 28, 2005, 12:44 pm CDT

09/28 Overmedicating America: The Cruise Controversy

Quote From: momofadam

Were you not listening? We had taken our son to 6 family doctors, 2 child psychiatrists, and a mental health hospital. All of them either gave him an Rx, changed the dosage or offered Adam a new one! Not one of them offered us any other options. I assumed by that point they certainly knew more about it than my husband and I as we are not doctors!  We were emotionally sick over all of the meds he was on and then they did not appear to be working. The doctors would just tell us to hang in there, give them time or change the Rx all together. This is why we finally wrote in, not to appear on the show, but to access some of Dr. Phil's resources. We knew that this was not right, however everywhere we turned we were given another Rx. Please understand, that I do appreciate your point of view, and respect it. But we did obtain a second opinion and a third and a fourth. . .

Don't let what people say bother you--- I can't imagine all that you and your husband have been through dealing w/ this (I watched the show-- I could see the stress and pain in your eyes)...  

I'm happy that Dr. Phil helped ya'll out and I hope something wonderful came out of what you guys are doing now w/ Adam =) 

God bless!!,  

September 28, 2005, 12:52 pm CDT

bi polar kids

Does anyone know anything about  Bi Polar Disorder in Children? How do you know for sure that a child is Bi Polar? Is Risperdal really ok for kids?

September 28, 2005, 12:52 pm CDT

MEDICINES ARE GREAT...if they are necessary

If drugs help I am all for it, but I am an advocate for making sure the problem is actually present.  A pediatrician should not be diagnosing these problems.  A psychologist or a psychiatrist should.  My personal preference is a psychologist because they are not solely interested in medication, but therapy as well.   

I took Ritalin AKA Methylphenidate from age 6 through age 19 due to ADHD.  Without it I would not have excelled in school, graduated college and be in a successful and happy marriage.  The Ritalin ALLOWED me the OPORTUNITY to learn.  Without the medicine, my head could never have been clear enough to learn.  I once heard ADHD described as “there are 2000 thoughts running through my head every second, if I take the medicine I only have 1000.  Unfortunately for me most people only have 50 thoughts at a time, so I am still behind the curve.” 

People need to understand that these medications can help, but they are not a cure-all, and they are not for everyone.  I was fortunate that my mother decided that something just was not right, and I was fortunate not to encounter any of the negative effects that Ritalin can cause. 

MY ADVICE: JUST MAKE SURE YOU NEED THE MEDICINE BEFORE YOU TAKE IT, AND IF YOU NEED IT…TAKE IT...FUNCTIONING IN SOCIETY IS IMPORTANT!!! 

September 28, 2005, 12:54 pm CDT

No subject

Quote From: tammyo1973

THis is a common misconception. 

Usually people who are on the outside looking inside have no idea what a child with bipolar goes through. You have to fully understand this disorder to understand that it HAS nothing to do with how I am raising my children. 

I have 2 children... one with bipolar and one without. They are raised with the same techniques. They are both disiplined for misbehaviors and rewarded for good behaviors. Both do not spend a whole lot of time in front of the tv.. actually my bipolar child watches tv maybe an hour a day and that is when she is in bed trying to fall asleep because she is afraid of the liitle boy and little girl she sees at night.  

I am Methodist and both my children are methodist. We do pray. Prayer will not cure a mental illness. 

Medication is not the ONLY answer. She has to take medications in combonation with CBT therapy weekly.  

Please do not tell me that you know the answer to my daughters mental illness is for me to "train her right" and pray. 

Walk in my shoes for a minute and maybe you will understand this is REAL! 

Well, all I wanted to say after I read this, is simply that God is still God, and I know He is still a healer =)  He healed a friend of mine from something a Dr. couldn't fix...  Prayer is real, but most importantly, JESUS is real and He is what matters most!  =)   

No matter what happens in all of our lives, no matter what prayer we think we see go unanswered, God is still God and He's still on the throne =)   Keep the faith and don't let it bother you!!!  God can work serious miracles and I will pray for your child-- don't get discouraged!!  

God bless!,  

September 28, 2005, 12:58 pm CDT

Medication was my answer!

Quote From: stocksun

Medication is not the answer. Course its not normal. But you know if you train up a child right you do not have these problems. What do most children watch and play now a days? How much time do parents spend with their kids? And has anyone ever heard of PRAYER?? Guess what, IT WORKS!! 

Thank you!  

I (my entire family) prayed to GOD for years before putting my son on meds. He is five years old, he has attempted to attack me with a knife numerous of times. (Yes, even after putting them out of his reach) He would steal them. The breaking point was him attacking his 2 1/2 year old brother with a knife. I tried counseling (him and family) a head doctor (as I see them) wanted to put my child on meds since the first attack on me (him at age 3). I said no.   

God opened my eyes to meds when the option was meds or losing my other two kids. I chose meds and three boys. (my FAMILY) Now seeing him on Adderall 10 mg a day at age five lets me know that meds work for those that need it. He can think clearly, he is the same child but  with more self-control. 

I have raised my kids right (in CHURCH). I spend time  with my three children (6, 5,  and 2 1/2, all boys) weekends, holidays, etc. FULL-TIME MOM  

My children don't watch anything above a PG rating. (ANYWHERE)  

So can you tell me what else could I have done besides meds. Please? 

September 28, 2005, 12:58 pm CDT

Overmedicating America

To Whom It May Concern: 

I believe that to a certain extent that we are overmedicating America But in some instances it does work, I dont believe That there are parents out there that keep their  kids in the house the first five years of their life and they have no friends. and when they go to start school they are very overwhelmed and do not know how to share or socialize with other kids their age and when their teacher calls to say that the child maybe add or adhd and the parent has the child medicated for no reason. the child thinks that the medication is to make them smarter.  

September 28, 2005, 1:05 pm CDT

Medication

Todays show kind of made me mad. First of all I want everyone to know that I think medication is okay as long as it is not the first option of help. The first parents on the show today. I think that their first mistake is giving into their son. That's why he is the way he is. For the last family. I agree with the dad. That boy is being a child. What is he just suppost to sit in a chair all day. 

I just had my third child a little girl. I was so happy, but here came the depression. I never had that after my first two children. I went through days where all I did was cry. I even thought about taking a whole bottle of Motrin. I was holding my daughter, and then I realized that I needed to do something. I love my kids and there was no way I was going to leave them. So I figured out ways to get over my depression. Did I use medication or go to a doctor???? NO. I looked up things I could do at home. Exercise, writing a journal, time for myself, ect... Guess what?? It works. I still have days, but I get through them. 

For some people medication may be needed, but that should not be the first step. 

September 28, 2005, 1:06 pm CDT

medication

I agree with your statement Dr. Phil. I was put on medication as a child. But I also was tought how to control my behavior. I was tested and retested, and diagnosed with Attention Defiect Disorder with hyperactivity, in the 4th grade. Medication helped me to do my school work, pay attention and sit still. I can do that on my own now.

September 28, 2005, 1:10 pm CDT

I FEEL FOR YOU

Quote From: momofadam

Were you not listening? We had taken our son to 6 family doctors, 2 child psychiatrists, and a mental health hospital. All of them either gave him an Rx, changed the dosage or offered Adam a new one! Not one of them offered us any other options. I assumed by that point they certainly knew more about it than my husband and I as we are not doctors!  We were emotionally sick over all of the meds he was on and then they did not appear to be working. The doctors would just tell us to hang in there, give them time or change the Rx all together. This is why we finally wrote in, not to appear on the show, but to access some of Dr. Phil's resources. We knew that this was not right, however everywhere we turned we were given another Rx. Please understand, that I do appreciate your point of view, and respect it. But we did obtain a second opinion and a third and a fourth. . .
I know about the medication of children. My son was diagnosed ADHD at the age of 6 and like you I figured the Dr's knew way better than me as well as the teachers that worked with children so I medicated him. He is now 18 and really I do not think the meds ever really worked no matter what he was on for meds. I am so happy for you I do agree meds can help if the diagnosis is correct and meds are needed. The reality is there is a thing called chemical imballance and if thats the case getting the right meds is important. I wish you and you husband and Adam the best of luck and please let us all know how the diagnosis goes.

September 28, 2005, 1:11 pm CDT

Thnaks!

Quote From: kodonnell

Don't let what people say bother you--- I can't imagine all that you and your husband have been through dealing w/ this (I watched the show-- I could see the stress and pain in your eyes)...  

I'm happy that Dr. Phil helped ya'll out and I hope something wonderful came out of what you guys are doing now w/ Adam =) 

God bless!!,  

I really appreciate your support. This has been every trying ordeal and I will stop at nothing to help my son. We did receive some wonderful help and Adam is no longer on "any" medications at this time. We have tried some alternative methods we were given and thus far they appear to be working miracles! Who knew? Thanks again for your encouraging words. Jill

First | Prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last