Message Boards

Topic : 09/29 Hurricane Katrina Follow-Ups

Number of Replies: 17
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 23, 2005, 04:47:26 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

It's been almost a month since Hurricane Katrina devastated the Gulf Coast. Dr. Phil checks back in with the families he met who are trying to rebuild their shattered lives. Judy was forced to leave her home and move in with relatives. Can she stop feeling hopeless about her life and get some closure on what she left behind? Then, Dwight, a college student, evacuated 17 family members from New Orleans. Now, paying for college is a struggle for him. Plus, Dr. Phil checks in on evacuees who relocated across the country and got big surprises, and a member of his staff sees her childhood home for the first time since it was destroyed by the hurricane.  Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More September 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 29, 2005, 11:34 am CDT

hurricane rita victims

i live in the jefferson county (golden triangle) area. this area includes beaumont port arthur nederland orange bridge city sabine pass and i am very disappointed in the response that we recieved for assistance. when the people from new orleans were affected by hurrcane catrina we all said many things concerning their reaction to recieving help. but now me personally see how they are feeling. i am in houston texas at a friend of my cousin and i just seem like we can't get any help. i understand that the government is still helping the katrna victims but as much money as the tax payers send on unnecessary things and helping other countries you would think that they would work just as fast to help us citizens. i may just be so many things at one time my words may not make any since. but the point is there is no hekp for no body here except what the local communities are doing

September 29, 2005, 12:18 pm CDT

hurric. catrina

HI dr phil 

my question is in regards to catrina. 

i remember watching the news and crying for what happened to the people who were affected by hurricane katrina, and as i was watching,  i saw that there was a dog who was lost, they called him snowball*.. he was about to get on board a bus before one of the help picked him up and took him away. my question is, any news on this little pup???? 

SINCERLY,  

EVA .. 

September 29, 2005, 12:56 pm CDT

SNOWBALL!! where is little boy?

hi DR PHIL, 

my name is kaleena and i was browsing through many sites to find out about snowball, now i stumbled upon this little site that info about a shelter who may have found SNOWBALL, and who is looking for the little boy who was taken away from his puppy. 

Hi-I am sure lots of people have seen the photos of the small boy being evacuated by bus from the superdome in New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina and having his dog SNOWBALL taken from him and after the buses door closed the small dog pawing at the closed door, the boy cried so hard he was sick and still calling for his SNOWBALL. I am leaving this message in the hopes that someone who knows where the little boy who owns him is at. We do not know which shelter the boy is in. But the United Animal Nations and the LA SPCA say that they have found his precious SNOWBALL. The contact points for information are Karen Brown  uan.org or bestfriends.com.

Anyone with any information on this boy's whereabouts please contact the above agencies. Let's try and help get SNOWBALL home and reunited with his owner. Thanks for any help.

http://www.riehlworldview.com/carnivorous_conservative/2005/09/compeling_katri.html 

does anyone know if snowball was reunited?? 

September 29, 2005, 12:58 pm CDT

I read this in my local paper

There was a mother (and her puppy).  She lost her home in Mississippi due to Katrina.  Anyway, the woman went to stay with her family.  The family dropped her off at a motel after a few days cause she smoked too much.  I couldn't believe the unkindness of her family... why couldn't they tell mom to smoke outside?  It was an excuse to get her out.  I cannot belive the coldness of her family. It was in our local paper a few days ago and it scares me to think family could do this.

September 29, 2005, 1:23 pm CDT

Giving Aid

I have watched so many talk shows where people in trouble are giving wonderful aid by the tv shows and their affiliates.  I think being able to help people is wonderful, but these shows always leave me torn.  Why are these particular victims of Katrina on this show more deserving of help and home than the other victims who weren't able to get in contact with the show?

September 29, 2005, 1:25 pm CDT

To Tiffany45

Dr. Phil, 

I am watching your show as we speak.  I can feel for Tiffany45 as I read the message boards from the people in South Louisiana.  They are slow to get help & the media seems to have forgotten them.  Specifically Cameron Parish.  They have been completely destroyed & this seems to be taking a back seat to other areas & New Orleans.  They need help.  Maybe you could bring this to the attention of the media & the public so they can get some attention & then some help.  Katrina was devasting, but so was Rita.  Please don't forget South Louisiana.  They suffered Audrey in 1957 & now Rita hits them severely.  Any help you can offer would be appreciated. 

September 29, 2005, 4:14 pm CDT

Police Officer/Med School Grad Couple Relocating

I just want to encourage you two about whether to relocate or not for your residency. My husband held off residency for a couple of years while I went back to Nursing School...I was an LVN and then received my RN during that time.  We knew we wouldn't be able to survive financially on an LVN's income and a resident's income while raising our then 6 year old daughter.  As soon as I graduated and passed the nursing boards, we sold our condo in Sou. Cal. and went to Conn. for his Internal Med residency and then to Stony Brook in N.Y. for his anesthesia residency.  We then ended up after residency, back in Ca. and another little girl in the process.  My husband has been in practice for 8 1/2 years now,(his second career and life's dream) and we are well-established and at great peace with how God led us through it all.  We appreciate each other so much more because we did life as a team approach and it has made the adjustments smoother.  I have a much more humble attitude about how God has blessed us financially now because we sure worked hard for it.  Otherwise, money can become our god way too easily.  When one has nearly nothing, you appreciate anything.  When one has too much, you just want more.  I pray you don't get caught in that seduction.  The best of everything to both of you and a bit of advice...pray and pray hard...He will be faithful to you and answer...maybe not right away, maybe not in the way you think is the right way, but He will, He promises that.  Look for Him today.  God Bless You both and your little girl.

September 29, 2005, 7:13 pm CDT

Am I the only one?

I never want to go through any experience like that of a Hurricane. But I don't live where there is any water in sight that could cause that kind of destruction. (Tornado's either). Let me praise American's for coming forward and lending a hand. I know I have and love to see fellow American's come together in time of crisis. I do however disagree with the rebuilding in the low lying areas of New Orleans. It was a bad decision decades ago to put Residential Property in the bottom of a bowl where water would one day come flowing in. If we rebuild, it will again be a matter of not if but when this will once again happen. This is the worst of all bad ideas. As an individual, taxpayer, Realtor and Lender, I can't see how anyone could make this seem like the right thing to do. Am I the only one who see's what a disaster this is? Please, lets cut our losses before our children and grandchildren have to suffer this kind of catastrophe when they are older. The Hurricane did it's fair share of damage but the levees breaking (breaching) are what really caused the worst damage. Rita came along and proved this point just in case we were not paying attention. This could happen without a Hurricane. How can we turn our heads and make this ok, is beyond me. These people, most of whom were renters, not homeowners, need to relocate anyway. There isn't a place to go to. I would much rather put my tax dollar forward to help them receiving a leg up towards something permanent then rebuilding in a bowl where it could all be taken from them again. I have heard countless interviews where there are many from this region who are grateful for the opportunity to make a change in their lives and move forward with other opportunities. If my home, God Forbid, was swallowed up by an earthquake, I would not expect the Federal Government to come in, fill the whole, and rebuild my home. In Saint George Utah, where homes well out of harms way were taken by a River, no longer have homes, or land, to rebuild on. There are fires and floods that take homes everyday, some were not considered in harms way, some were. Let's not make a bad choice once, a bad choice twice. There is opportunity to put Hotels, commerce, anything but Residential Homes there. Dr. Phil, how can someone so level headed as you not only find this ok but encourage it? I am shocked. Please consider putting you common sense in gear and help officials see the light.  

Another view from a reporter: 

>>> Carri Peterson 09/27/05 3:10 PM >>>
>Novelist and New Orleans resident Anne Rice had this to say:
>
>"To my country I want to say this: During this crisis you failed us. You
>looked down on us; you dismissed our victims; you dismissed us. You want
>our Jazz Fest, you want our Mardi Gras, you want our cooking. Then when you
>saw us in real trouble, when you saw a tiny minority preying on the weak
>among us, you called us "Sin City," and turned your backs."
>
>This reply hits the nail on the head!
>
>Let me get this straight.
>
>Ms. Rice, you live in (what was) a very attractive city which lies below
>sea level. On one side you have a giant lake; on the other side you have
>the Gulf of Mexico. Running through the middle is the Mississippi River.
>All of which are above you.
>
>Preventing those giant bodies of water from flooding and drowning you are
>levees. These levees are described as "century-old." People have been
>warning about the devastating effects of a direct hit from a hurricane for
>decades.
>
>I've heard a great deal of complaint in recent days that the federal
>government may not have allocated enough money to speed up the upgrades to
>those levees. This does, however, raise the question of why city and state
>residents were waiting around for the federal government to send enough
>money to upgrade this, instead of paying for it themselves. I mean, it was
>only your homes, businesses, and lives at stake. Perhaps these upgrades
>would have been expensive. If only this city had some sort of events to
>attract tourists, from which to collect taxes.
>
>Anyway, your state and local officials decided to spend your tax dollars on
>something else that they (and presumably you) found more important, and
>then they waited for the rest of the country to pay for these
>life-preserving necessities.
>
>Your beloved city and region has a colorful political history, in which
>there is, oh, a wee bit of corruption. I'm from New Jersey, so I can't
>throw stones at that glass house. But you guys have managed to pick leaders
>who give you the worst of both worlds - they're scandal ridden and
>incompetent in a crisis. Look, Rudy Giuliani might have run around with
>Judith Nathan before his divorce, but he was a hell of a leader
>in our darkest hours. You know the National Review crowd isn't a fan of
>Pataki, but the man was a rock after 9/11 compared to Governor Weepy
>I'll-Evacuate-Eventually and Mayor It's-Everybody's-Fault-Except-Mine.
>Nobody's throwing around the adjective "Churchillian" about any of your
>officials these days. We didn't pick your local officials; you guys did.
>
>Rice asks, "how many times did Gov. Kathleen Blanco have to say that the
>situation was desperate? How many times did Mayor Ray Nagin have to call
>for aid?"
>
>Ahem. What about those buses left unused, less than a mile from the
>Superdome? JunkYardBlog notes that it's written in the Southeast Louisiana
>Evacuation Plan that buses are supposed to be used for evacuation of those
>who don't have personal vehicles. As JYB observes, "there is something very
>peculiar about a city and a state that have a plan on the books for years
>that outlines what to do when a hurricane is about to strike, yet when a
>hurricane comes roaring in, the responsible officials just chuck the plan
>and try winging it. Delaying and then winging it in the face of a monstrous
>Cat 4/5 hurricane is never, ever a good idea, especially for New Orleans."
>(See more here.) Ironically, Nagin told CNN, "I need buses, man," when he
>had plenty sitting around unused before the storm hit. Now they're flooded
>and useless.
>
>But it's not like state and local officials could have seen this coming.
>They have never had a hurricane bearing down on them before and. Oh, wait,
>there was Hurricane Ivan just last year. And after that dodged bullet,
>Blanco and Nagin both acknowledged
>they needed a better evacuation plan.
>
>I would note that we've seen some pretty intense disasters in other parts
>of the country, like planes crashing into skyscrapers and subsequently
>collapsing, earthquakes, tornadoes, blizzards, and yet somehow, none of
>these disasters had the total breakdown of law and order, civil society,
>etc. Jonah Goldberg's early joke about a Mad-Max style post-apocalyptic
>tribal anarchy may have been in poor taste, but it has turned out to be
>nightmarishly prescient.
>
>We failed you? No, oh brilliant creator of Exit to Eden, you failed. You
>might not think of it this way, but: Your leaders failed to upgrade the
>levees. You elected a bunch of weepers and blame-shifters who lost
>their head in a crisis.
>
>Over the past decades, your elected officials have let a criminal element
>incubate and grow until they ruled the streets, instead of the forces of
>law and order. In pop culture, a New Orleans thief is always a charming
>rogue with a devilish smile. In reality, they're a bunch of thugs.
>
>If the number of residents who are looting thugs were such a "tiny
>minority," we wouldn't have seen this widespread, relentless anarchy.
>Madam, a noticeable number of your neighbors saw this disaster as an
>opportunity to smash a window and run away with a television, an act that
>reveals much about the inadequacies of the local school system, since that
>thief won't be enjoying that television
>with any electricity anytime soon.
>
>I would also note that this is one hell of a police force your local
>officials hired and that you and your neighbors tolerated. 50 percent
>turned in their badges during the crisis and quit. Your police
>superintendent is conceding that some cops were looting. Just want to
>refresh your memory - four years ago, New York and Washington, planes
>falling out of the sky, thousands dead, no idea what the hell is coming
>next. And the cops, among others, showed up to work.
>
>To save you guys now, I - and a lot of other Americans - will pitch in. We
>are witnessing the biggest mobilization of civilian and military rescue and
>relief crews in history. But I have a sneaking suspicion you're going to
>want the rest of us to pay for the rebuilding of your city. (In the near
>future, we're going to have to have a little chat about the wisdom of
>building below
>sea level, directly next to large bodies of water.) And if you're going to
>come to the rest of us hat in hand, demanding the rest of us clean up after
>your poor judgment, I'd appreciate a little less "you failed us" and a
>little more "we've learned our lesson."
>
>- Jim Geraghty is reporting from Ankara, Turkey, where the locals keep
>asking him how something like this could happen in America.
>

September 29, 2005, 7:44 pm CDT

Positivity and prayers

Thank you , Dr. Phil, for showing us a more positive side of the Hurricane Katrina tragedy.  The human toll of this storm (and the additional disaster wrought by Rita) has forced all of us to face such suffering of our fellow Americans and at times can be quite overwhelming to grasp.  I can only imagine how difficult it is for the victims of Katrina (and now Rita) to face each day and try to look beyond the awful situation they have been forced into.  Without a bit of hope and guidance, the road to recovery can be too long for many to contemplate and, sadly,  there is no map to lead them out of this situation.  By showing the storm victims some sucessful beginnings, I pray that others will have hope for themselves and hang in there for the difficult journey they face.  

In this time of uncertainty and second-guessing, I appreciate you stepping in and offering real, sensible advice while at the same time telling the world that we will all be okay.  To the victims of this season's hurricanes: "I am sorry for this tragedy and upheaval in your lives.  Recovery is slow, but please do not give up hope.  We have not forgotten,  and will not forget that you are in need and in pain.  You will make it through.  God bless you!" 

September 29, 2005, 9:46 pm CDT

Happy to see Hurricane Katrina Follow-ups

Hello Everyone, I was very pleased to see the Hurricane Katrina follow ups, and a more positive side of the tragedy that affected so many Americans. I have felt for everyone that has been affected by this, and I was very touched to see what Dr.Phil and his show were able to do for these families. Hopefully, this will give everyone hope out there that they can rebuild their lifes, and that anything is possible. My thoughts and prayers go out to all of the Hurricane Katrina and Hurricane Rita Victims. I really hope that we as Americans can pull together through this, especially for trhe children, and their future.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | Next | Last