Message Boards

Topic : 10/07 The Latest Debates

Number of Replies: 6020
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 30, 2005, 03:40:18 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Dr. Phil and his guests strike up heated conversations as they debate the latest hot topics. Should women give up their right to breastfeed their babies in public so other people don't feel uncomfortable? Will passing out condoms in schools prevent unwanted pregnancies or just send the message to kids that it's OK to have sex? And, is it acceptable for others to discipline your kids if they see them acting out in public, or should they just mind their own business? Dr. Phil weighs in on these controversial subjects. Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More October 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 3, 2005, 10:22 am CDT

The latest debates

In my opinion, I do not think women should breastfeed in public. That is not ladylike at all. If you need to do that, go find a restroom or someplace where you can have privacy. Now about the sex education, schools should not give out condoms. That is a big NO NO! Leave anything personal and private to the parents, not the teachers. Its the parents job to tell their children about sex and other things too.

October 3, 2005, 10:28 am CDT

Breast feeding and Condoms in schools

For all of those breast feeding moms congratulations it doesn't bother me at all to see mothers breastfeeding their kids.  I can't beleive those people that get offended when they see a mother feeding their child but think that people showing their underwear is individualism, and girls showing their bras as a fashion statement.   And a lot more I don't mention.  

The other thing about condoms being distributed in schools I as a mother of  3 little ones would not like for schools to give my girls condoms.  See that is another thing that is very upsetting.  Schools are allowed to distribute condoms so to prevent teenagers from getting pregnant but at the same time they exclude GOD from being in the pledge of alligence and to have GOD in courts or in anything to do with school..   Doesn't GOD Prevent evil, prevent wrong doing and shows how beautiful life is and yet they exclude HIM from schools.  What is this world coming too and we wonder why many kids are commiting Suicide.  In my viewpoint passing out condoms in public schools is wrong that is the parents decision and nobody else's. 

October 3, 2005, 11:19 am CDT

10/07 The Latest Debates

Quote From: serez03

For all of those breast feeding moms congratulations it doesn't bother me at all to see mothers breastfeeding their kids.  I can't beleive those people that get offended when they see a mother feeding their child but think that people showing their underwear is individualism, and girls showing their bras as a fashion statement.   And a lot more I don't mention.  

The other thing about condoms being distributed in schools I as a mother of  3 little ones would not like for schools to give my girls condoms.  See that is another thing that is very upsetting.  Schools are allowed to distribute condoms so to prevent teenagers from getting pregnant but at the same time they exclude GOD from being in the pledge of alligence and to have GOD in courts or in anything to do with school..   Doesn't GOD Prevent evil, prevent wrong doing and shows how beautiful life is and yet they exclude HIM from schools.  What is this world coming too and we wonder why many kids are commiting Suicide.  In my viewpoint passing out condoms in public schools is wrong that is the parents decision and nobody else's. 

That is why it is called a PUBLIC school...God should have no place in it.   

There are many religions that go to PUBLIC schools...some believing in God, some not, some believing in another diety or none at all.   

And kids aren't committing suicide because condoms are being distributed in schools.  They are committing suicide because NO ONE IS TALKING ABOUT IT!!!  (ie. where to go for help...what to do about the feelings that I am having...)  School becomes a perfect place to address these issues because you can reach such a large number of students; however, parents must be involved too.   

And it isn't like schools are GIVING condoms to every kid.  They are available for students, but they are not pushed upon every child with the assumption that they will naturally be having sex because they are a teenager. 

Education is KEY!  Ignorance is not an excuse.  "Just Say No" has been proven to fall on deaf ears.  I think abstinance needs to be one part of sex education, along with other options for those students who will not follow that philosophy. 

October 3, 2005, 1:35 pm CDT

10/07 The Latest Debates

I am proud to have been a nursing mom and would do it all over again. Yes, I did it public and I was very mature and modest on doing it. Absolutely nothing wrong with that! There cetainly are a lot of other things in this society to get bent over shape about and as far as I am concerned, this topic is not one of them. As far as condoms being passed out in the schools, I do not agree with it but if they are going to do it then the schools need to be obligated in communicating with the parents and they better be giving out all the facts that they are not 100% and std's is still possible. The teachers are not the ones who have to deal with the pregnacy of a teenager, it is the parents who will have to deal with that one so unless the teachers/schools are ready to step up to the plate and help with 100% of this issue, I think they need to back off and get back to teaching our children academics. yes, there are parents who do not communicate with their kids and all and that is sad and these parents need to be ashamed of them selves for not stepping up to the plate. It certainly needs to be about communication and teaching the facts even the fact that pre marital sex can lead up to the unexpected, even low self esteem issues, and I agree that abortions would be less if kids were taught properly and made to take responsibiltiy for their actions. Abortion is nothing but a cop out to avoid responsibility/embarrassement for most, it is punishing a child, the unborn who had absolutely nothing to say about his/her existence. Time to step up to the plate and start teaching this society of kids about responsibility and reaping the consequences of their actions. And those parents who avoid the subject witht heir kids, well, "you reap what you sow," The morrals and values of our society has certainly gone down hill and yes, it is becasue God himself has basically been kicked out of this society. O my! heaven forbid if one should pray and post the 10 commandments but lets hand out condoms and encourage copping out of the responsibility, "you can always get rid of the baby". Well, as far as std's go, "lets just let the parents deal with all that!!!! Yep, this society definetly needs Jesus and His teachings. So for me, I will always encourage breastfeeding, even if it needs to be done in public and my children will not be attending the public school system.

October 3, 2005, 1:37 pm CDT

Question for you then...

Quote From: animalcat

In my opinion, I do not think women should breastfeed in public. That is not ladylike at all. If you need to do that, go find a restroom or someplace where you can have privacy. Now about the sex education, schools should not give out condoms. That is a big NO NO! Leave anything personal and private to the parents, not the teachers. Its the parents job to tell their children about sex and other things too.

When I read your post, it struck a nerve with me.  I was just wondering if you think moms who feed their children a bottle in public should go "find a restroom or someplace where [they] can have privacy"??  I am assuming that you must think bottle feeding is not lady like either since both acts are accomplishing the samething...feeding a hungry baby???   

A women who is breastfeeding in public isn't  doing it to show off her breasts (which is why you are saying it isn't ladylike I assuming), she is feeding her child.   

October 3, 2005, 1:55 pm CDT

I agree!!!

Quote From: helpmeinnd

When I read your post, it struck a nerve with me.  I was just wondering if you think moms who feed their children a bottle in public should go "find a restroom or someplace where [they can have privacy"??  I am assuming that you must think bottle feeding is not lady like either since both acts are accomplishing the samething...feeding a hungry baby???   

A women who is breastfeeding in public isn't  doing it to show off her breasts (which is why you are saying it isn't ladylike I assuming), she is feeding her child.   

Just wanted to say that I agree with you!!!  I bottlefeed my little guy but I publically nursed my first son and I don't have a problem with anyone else doing the same.  My only problem is when ladies aren't discreet... I don't think anyone needs to see excess skin. ;) 

From a fellow April '05 Mommy. *grin* 

October 3, 2005, 1:56 pm CDT

10/07 The Latest Debates

Quote From: kairshea

That is why it is called a PUBLIC school...God should have no place in it.   

There are many religions that go to PUBLIC schools...some believing in God, some not, some believing in another diety or none at all.   

And kids aren't committing suicide because condoms are being distributed in schools.  They are committing suicide because NO ONE IS TALKING ABOUT IT!!!  (ie. where to go for help...what to do about the feelings that I am having...)  School becomes a perfect place to address these issues because you can reach such a large number of students; however, parents must be involved too.   

And it isn't like schools are GIVING condoms to every kid.  They are available for students, but they are not pushed upon every child with the assumption that they will naturally be having sex because they are a teenager. 

Education is KEY!  Ignorance is not an excuse.  "Just Say No" has been proven to fall on deaf ears.  I think abstinance needs to be one part of sex education, along with other options for those students who will not follow that philosophy. 

You are right it is public school so why are drugs, sex and crime in public schools!  There are also people who don't beleive in sex before marriage, in drugs and other items.  Everybody has the right to beleive what they want but to make exclusion of GOD is not right but that is my opinion. 

Let me clear something else before I forget, regarding the suicide I didnt' make myself clear last time. I know they are not commiting suicide because of the distribution of condoms in schools. They are doing becuase they are missing God or a spiritual individual in what ever religion they believe in. 

October 3, 2005, 2:44 pm CDT

Breastfeeding in public

Quote From: kbiller

Just wanted to say that I agree with you!!!  I bottlefeed my little guy but I publically nursed my first son and I don't have a problem with anyone else doing the same.  My only problem is when ladies aren't discreet... I don't think anyone needs to see excess skin. ;) 

From a fellow April '05 Mommy. *grin* 

I think it is a shame when a woman feels that she needs to hide while breastfeeding. Take a good look at countries that control their women. You will see that the more control a country has on what is appropriate for women, the harsher the abuse is that these women suffer.

October 3, 2005, 3:53 pm CDT

To Mothermoon and Isis 59

Quote From: mothermoon

Yes I have and have lots of friends that attend these meetings.... 

Why is this offensive to you?. Is this act haulting your life somehow? Does the fact that a woman chosing to BF her child beyond the age of 1 somehow harm your life in any way.? I think that people these days need to be more open minded. Did you realize that this act does still occur in places other then the US. Certain tribes in Africa practice this method. Its called child lead weaning.  

What is it to you really that these men and women choose to live a natural lifestyle and not abstain to how you view how things should be done.  

And for the record, NO i do not still BF my children, I choose not to.  

In the future do not be so judgemental of others and maybe  you will reflect something good onto your children about how to treat people and stop the predjudceness. 

QUESTION?  What age do you think a mother should stop breastfeeding her child?  17 months is still reasonably young.  Did you breast feed your kindergardener?  (Did you read carefully my post and my comment?

October 3, 2005, 4:00 pm CDT

10/07 The Latest Debates

Quote From: isis59

I'm very insulted that you would make comments like this. I still breastfeed my 17 month old son. It's the healthiest, most natural thing to do. Eventhough my son didn't get TEETH until he was 10 months, some get them very early... why on earth should a mother STOP breastfeeding her child because of teeth? You said you breastfed only one of your children for 12 months... did they not have teeth yet?!?! Why would you take away the HEALTHIEST, MOST LOVING, PERFECT nourishment your child could have?! That just seems ignorant to me. Please do more research before making prejudicial comments like that in the future. LaLecheLeague helps TONS of new moms in the quest for breastfeeding, no matter how long they intend to do so. They're an amazing group of women. Oh and in honor of the intended questions... YES! I would breastfeed my baby anywhere, anytime. People don't have to look. I don't look at things I don't like. Babies should be respected before others, it's just my opinion. When they CAN understand to hold on and wait, great... but in the meantime- keep giving those babies the greatest food on earth.
Your Question: "Why would you take away the HEALTHIEST, MOST LOVING, PERFECT nourishment your child could have?!"  Well, 2 of my kids had milk allergies so that put them both on special formulas.  Honestly..... if I had another kid..... I don't think I would breastfeed for alot of reasons.  Like I said if another mom wants to do it that is fine with me.  To me it just doesn't fit into today's lifestyle.  You can spend quality time with your baby and so can others without having to breastfeed.  It is one of those personal decisions that perhaps bring benefits, but so do a whole lot of other choices.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last