Message Boards

Topic : 10/07 The Latest Debates

Number of Replies: 6020
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 30, 2005, 03:40:18 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Dr. Phil and his guests strike up heated conversations as they debate the latest hot topics. Should women give up their right to breastfeed their babies in public so other people don't feel uncomfortable? Will passing out condoms in schools prevent unwanted pregnancies or just send the message to kids that it's OK to have sex? And, is it acceptable for others to discipline your kids if they see them acting out in public, or should they just mind their own business? Dr. Phil weighs in on these controversial subjects. Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More October 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 4, 2005, 6:09 am CDT

I agree

Quote From: missjane2

That is such a question without an answer.  Because it depends.  If you don't give them condoms and they get pregnant isn't that worse.  On the otherhand if you do give them condoms you are encouraging them to have sex at a young age.  I try to talk to my teenagers about the cost of diapers and how it will need to be deducted from their McDonalds paycheck along with other things if they have a baby.  I also tell my daughter that boys in high school don't have sex for love.  They have sex so they can tell their friends the grimy details.  Girls have sex for love.  Boys don't have sex for love until they grow up and even then many boys remain in the Peter Pan never grow up stage....  I think if kids have a purpose in life of chasing after dreams to become something and to pursue a career and hobbies they will be stronger to say no to temporary gratification.  But often times they come from broken homes and are trying to replace that need with their boyfriend who is too young to be mature to actually meet that need.  Because that boy flippin burgers by the grill is not gonna look as cute to you when you have kids and a boat load of bills to pay and you are both tired from working too much in 10 years.  So figure out what you are going to be and how you are going to pay the bills then have sex and kids....... 
I think that the young people who are not going to have sex (before marriage) or whenever they choose, are not going to go against that belief just because condoms are available in school.  Let's give our young people more credit.  A lot of them are making responsible choices.  And for some of them that responsible choice is abstinence and for others it is using protection when having sexual intercourse.  Both options should be given to young people. 

October 4, 2005, 6:59 am CDT

Am I for Real?

Quote From: mommy_two

I don't understand what teeth have to do with breastfeeding?    Did your 12 month old not have teeth? I think mom's who breastfeed older children are very wise and caring women.  Breast milk is ALWAYS a benefit,  please do some research on the topic. A very long time ago, women who were lactating would nurse the elderly, so they could keep up their strength. That is Unconditional Love. America has made breasts sexual objects instead of what they truly are.  The Le Leche League is a wonderful organization and one I'm proud to be part of.  These are groups of strong, supportive women who help mother's give their babies the best.  I understand you have something against 5 year old being breastfed, but to each his own. Turn your head and walk away, you don't need to stand and watch something you are not comfortable with. Try to support your fellow woman and you will see that we can change the ignorance surrounding breastfeeding.   

Am I for Real?  I think maybe I should be asking you this when you say: "A very long time ago, women who were lactating would nurse the elderly, so they could keep up their strength." 

***gasps***** Woah!  breastfeeding grandma?  Now this is crossing the line!  I would go as far to call it sacreligous. 

Now comforting a screaming two year old tantrum with breastfeeding is one thing, but breastfeeding grandma is wrong.  There are a whole lot of other ways to provide grandma with strength.  But that subject probably doesn't belong on the Dr. Phil show, but on the Jerry Springer show. 

October 4, 2005, 7:31 am CDT

NIP is OK with me!

To the woman who said 'breastfeeding in public is not ladylike...':  LOL!  Maybe not, but there's nothing more womanly than breastfeeding your baby if you ask me (in public or private).  I respect everyone's right to their opinions, however, it seems to me the problem is not nursing in public.  The problem is the public's anxiety over a female nipple.  Ever since Janet flashed hers at the half time show a few years ago the country's gone a little crazy over nipples.  It's just a nip people!   

Also, to the woman who stated her frustration with those who choose to formula feed, stating that these woman carried their babies for 9 months and then were done:  I'm sorry, but I think you are out of line there.  I choose to bf my son.  My friend chooses to ff her son.  That's the beauty of living in a civilized country, we can CHOOSE which way to feed our babies, and they grow up big and healthy either way.  Breastfeeding is not a religion.  It is a choice, it is a serious commitment, it is a wonderful experience for some and a painful one for others.  Do not judge someone because they don't see things as you do.   

October 4, 2005, 8:41 am CDT

the latest debates

Quote From: marcyalan

Would you eat in the bathroom!?  Most public restrooms do not have nice lounge areas. Most are dirty and the only place to sit is on the toilet, which, do not have lids.  So you want me to sit on an open toilet and feed my baby just to avoid less than a minute of *gasp* *nipple exposure*?  I get offended by overweight people eating bacon cheeseburgers, extra-large sized fries, and gallons of soft drinks. Perhaps they also should go eat in the bathroom.
>would you go eat in the bathroom!? Of course not. I do not want anyone to sit on a toilet and breastfeed. gross. If there was a nice separate room with a changing table and rocking chair in it, then that would not be a bad place for women to breastfeed their baby.

October 4, 2005, 9:18 am CDT

latest debates

Quote From: helpmeinnd

When I read your post, it struck a nerve with me.  I was just wondering if you think moms who feed their children a bottle in public should go "find a restroom or someplace where [they can have privacy"??  I am assuming that you must think bottle feeding is not lady like either since both acts are accomplishing the samething...feeding a hungry baby???   

A women who is breastfeeding in public isn't  doing it to show off her breasts (which is why you are saying it isn't ladylike I assuming), she is feeding her child.   

I do not have a problem with bottle feeding. Its the breastfeeding part. In response to your question about finding a place where a woman can have privacy, the answer is yes. In my opinion, its none of anyone's business when a mother is feeding her child, such as breastfeeding.

October 4, 2005, 9:54 am CDT

10/07 The Latest Debates

Quote From: animalcat

I do not have a problem with bottle feeding. Its the breastfeeding part. In response to your question about finding a place where a woman can have privacy, the answer is yes. In my opinion, its none of anyone's business when a mother is feeding her child, such as breastfeeding.

What is your problem with BF?....I would think that as a mother you would at least respect women who do choose to BF their children, and stand up for their rights to BF where ever and when ever needed.  I respect your choice to Formula feed ..why must you be so judgemental of other mothers ..how is this offending you that they BF. What concern is it to you.. 

October 4, 2005, 11:23 am CDT

I can't wait to see this show!

I'm a SAHM with one child, and I am pregnant with my second.  I fully intend on using my God-given and legal right to BF whenever and where ever I want.  I have no intention of sitting in a dirty bathroom for the comfort of others!  If you want to not see me BF, you go to the bathroom and eat, why should I take my newborn in a germ filled bathroom. 

Condoms in school-- yep.  I am not stupid, I am not that far removed from being in high school myself.  I think that abstence while an ideal, is not the way to go when it comes to educating our youth on sex.  It's unrealistic.  I would much rather my son and daughter learn about safety than some idiotic archaic rule.   

Finally, disciplining other peoples children.  I'm tossed on this one.  While I don't like it when other people discipline MY child, as I feel that I am capable of disciplining him myself.  I have also been in situations with other peoples' children where they have almost injured my child, and when I stopped the behavior, the parents have not been particularly nice to me regarding it. 

October 4, 2005, 1:46 pm CDT

10/07 The Latest Debates

Quote From: animalcat

In my opinion, I do not think women should breastfeed in public. That is not ladylike at all. If you need to do that, go find a restroom or someplace where you can have privacy. Now about the sex education, schools should not give out condoms. That is a big NO NO! Leave anything personal and private to the parents, not the teachers. Its the parents job to tell their children about sex and other things too.
When I first had my baby, I went into the bathroom to breastfeed to get "privacy"....someone who walked in was still offended.  Just goes to prove that you can't make everyone happy.  Someone will always have something to complain about, so I don't care about "privacy" anymore.

October 4, 2005, 1:53 pm CDT

NOT REALISTIC??

Quote From: fryguymom

I'm a SAHM with one child, and I am pregnant with my second.  I fully intend on using my God-given and legal right to BF whenever and where ever I want.  I have no intention of sitting in a dirty bathroom for the comfort of others!  If you want to not see me BF, you go to the bathroom and eat, why should I take my newborn in a germ filled bathroom. 

Condoms in school-- yep.  I am not stupid, I am not that far removed from being in high school myself.  I think that abstence while an ideal, is not the way to go when it comes to educating our youth on sex.  It's unrealistic.  I would much rather my son and daughter learn about safety than some idiotic archaic rule.   

Finally, disciplining other peoples children.  I'm tossed on this one.  While I don't like it when other people discipline MY child, as I feel that I am capable of disciplining him myself.  I have also been in situations with other peoples' children where they have almost injured my child, and when I stopped the behavior, the parents have not been particularly nice to me regarding it. 

Abstence is a realistic idea and it SHOULD be encouraged and taught, if they teach one way, they need to teach the other way as well. Some kids out there have never been taught that it is ok to not have sex, Alot of kids, especially girls believe that they have to have sex to be love and accepted when in all reality, it ususally leads to some slef esteem issues, yes, it is realistic and possible and again, if they are going to teach about sex, then yes, absentence should be included and yes, it is the BEST form of protection against the unexpected. My children will be learning that absentence is the best and the best thing to do is to save them selves, fall in love, get married and then have sex with your one and only and of course they will be taught about protection, std's and all that and if they do decide. to go out and have sex, they will be held accountable for their actions, they will take responsibility for the mistakes that they make. The boundaries will be set and they will know the consequences of their actions before hand, Yep, absentence is realistic and there are many smart kids out there who know it and follow that concept. Not every teen is going to go out and have sex and they need to be encouraged and praised, not in a class room that will make them misfits, there, if one way is taught then EVERYTHING needs top be included.

October 4, 2005, 1:57 pm CDT

SEX - - will happen whether or not you support Safety!

I am deeply troubled by the intolerant attitude displayed by so many of the posters here with regard to sex education.

Is it better to simply ignore the situations students find themselves in? Turn a blind eye and say, if the schools didn't hand out condoms, ALL high school students would be celebate as nuns? Are you kidding?
Schools didn't invent sex. High school students had sex before sex education and, and would still, guaranteed, if sex ed did not exist.

Condoms are not encouraging students to have sex. They are encouraging them to have SAFER SEX. I have enver heard of anyone who figured that just because hte condoms were FREE they ought to use them. Making condoms available encourages thier use in a non-judgemental environment.

Sex before marriage is not "wrong", it is a choice. This is a painfully judegmental attitude that only promotes people to have sex in secret, not to avoid it altogether.

These cliches about 13-year old girls having abortions are absurd. There are people having sex who are older, wiser and more careful.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last