Message Boards

Topic : 10/07 The Latest Debates

Number of Replies: 6020
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 30, 2005, 03:40:18 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Dr. Phil and his guests strike up heated conversations as they debate the latest hot topics. Should women give up their right to breastfeed their babies in public so other people don't feel uncomfortable? Will passing out condoms in schools prevent unwanted pregnancies or just send the message to kids that it's OK to have sex? And, is it acceptable for others to discipline your kids if they see them acting out in public, or should they just mind their own business? Dr. Phil weighs in on these controversial subjects. Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More October 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 12, 2007, 11:37 am CST

WOW

Quote From: denise2257

Hi Everybody: 

Here's my opinion on breastfeeding in public:  I come from a family that is totally against breastfeeding, so before I had children I thought that women were breastfeeding in public in order to get a rise out of other people, or that they liked people staring at their breasts.  I couldn't understand why they couldn't go to the restroom or bring a bottle with them.  When I had my first daughter, I decided to breastfeed (to my family's horror) but I vowed not to be one of the women who just 'whip it out'.  I was going to go to a restroom if I wanted to nurse my baby.  Well, after a few months, my opinion did an about face.  Those of you who think breastfeeding in public is horrible have to realize a few things.  When you begin breastfeeding, you have to do it every two hours around the clock.  After a while, it's second nature, and you get so used to it that when you do it in public it's doesn't seem like a big deal to you--it's just like a mother who formula feeds pulling out a bottle for her baby.  Another thing is that it is extremely uncomfortable and inconvenient to breastfeed in a restroom.  Sitting on toilet for twenty minutes holding a baby does a number on your back and it's a pain to have to interrupt your meal, conversation, whatever to go to the bathroom for an extended amount of time.  Though I still never breastfeed in a public place, (now I use either formula or pumped breast milk), I now don't have a problem with a woman who decides to do so. 

Dr. Phil should a whole show dedicated to this issue.  Since my family is against breastfeeding, they had a cow when I told them I was breastfeeding my child.  They said I was selfish for not allowing them a chance to feed the baby, stupid because now they have formula, and mothers don't need to breastfeed anymore, and cheap, because I wasn't willing to spend twelve hundred dollars a year on formula.  My mother was berating me constantly when I was breastfeeding my first daughter, and just started berating me again now that I have my second daughter.  Her ideas of baby care are from the 1950's and it really ticks her off that people do things differently now.  If I openly disagree with her or find a way around her concerns (when she told me I was 'hogging' the baby by breastfeeding her, I gave her a bottle of pumped milk and said, "Here, help yourself." which made her hit the roof) she tells me what a rotten person I am.  I'm dreading the thought of spending the whole week at my parents house at Thanksgiving, because my mother recently told me that she bought baby food and formula for my six week old daughter and that my daughter is going to get solid food and be formula fed whether I like it or not.  I don't want to cause a huge blowup over this, because our family is fractured enough.  My brother isn't talking to either me or my parents because of a different matter, and I don't want to lose my parents too.  Still, I'm totally against my mother's plans, and unfortunately, I can't back out of going there.  It would be great to know that other women are going through similar situations and what Dr. Phil thinks about it.  It would help me a lot because my mother watches Dr. Phil everyday and has changed her mind on certain subjects because of what he has said in past. 

The debate show was really interesting, and I hope he has more on other subjects too. 

I'm sorry that your family dosen't support your decision to breastfeed. My family is split my sister is pro-breatfeeding and my grandparents are not. Family get togethers always seem to be crazy with flinging comments. I have come to the conclusion I don't care what other people think. It's what I feel is best for my baby.

Good luck! I hope your family comes around and supports you in whatever you do!

April 5, 2007, 10:42 pm CDT

Breastfeeding in Public

I have no problems with women bf in public... I wish I could have been one of them (suppy issue.. and yes it is a big problem.. a Previous poster said it is not common.. I pumped for 5.5 months and got merely 1 ounce every two hours out of both breasts.. I tried two rounds of reglan with no luck.. This was mainly due to a 30 week preemie, a C/S, stress from haveing a baby in the NICU.. etc)

However, I don't agree that you need to bare yourself for the entire world to see to do so.. I do not want to explain to my child why a woman is showing her breast to everyone.. I can understand explaining to them what bf is... however.. that is like explaining the difference in boys and girls.. or other touchy subjects.. and then showing them a live naked person to demonstrate.. I don't think that young eyes need to see a total strangers bare breasts... It has nothing to do with being natural, or beautiful.. It has to do with respect for the other people around you.. as well as the children that don't need to see such things... It appauls me that a mother with such stands on matters like this don't think of others childrens wellbeing as well? Or the other childrens parents right to not have their child see a bare breast...

Ok.. so now that I have ranted on about that... Again.. I do agree that you should be able to BF wherever you may need to... but please don't show your bare body to me or my child...

October 23, 2007, 12:33 am CDT

Breastfeeding in Australia

I'm a mother of a beautiful 7 month old girl. I just saw the show today about the breast feeding debate. It is the Law in Australia that a mother has a right to breastfeed her child wherever. Anyone who is to tell/ask a woman to stop, go somewhere else or cover up is breaking the law! I have breastfed my daughter on buses, trains, cafes, restraunts... you name it! Only on 1 occassion did I go somewhere and that was at an RSL (Returned Services League) club and it was Anzac Day ( a day to remember Soldiers who died in the war). But that was in respect of our war veterans on their day! I think this law should be world wide! I agree though, if you don't like it, don't look!

January 10, 2008, 7:35 pm CST

I would not want to see this. So far I have been lucky

I would not want to see some womans boob out, not matter if she is breastfeeding or not.  That is what pumps are for. I know if I owned a restaurant or something like that I would not allow it, I would create special booths with curtains for that.

February 5, 2008, 8:11 pm CST

Agreed!

Quote From: crissysboy

I would not want to see some womans boob out, not matter if she is breastfeeding or not.  That is what pumps are for. I know if I owned a restaurant or something like that I would not allow it, I would create special booths with curtains for that.

I am glad that someone feels the same way I do.  I just wouldn't feel comfortable being in a restaurant eating my meal when there's a woman breastfeeding a table or two over.   Either get a babysitter to take care of your little darling while you and hubby go out or pump your milk and feed him/her with the bottle.

and breastfeeding moms please don't tell me babysitters cost a fortune - PLEASE get a teenager to babysit for you pay 'em 10-15 for the three hours you are out - if you can afford a nice supper you can afford to pay for a babysitter. 

September 7, 2008, 3:18 pm CDT

Teens and sex

Quote From: mommy04

YOUNG KIDS AND TEENS HAVE SEX!  THIS IS A REALITY.  IF THEY CAN NOT GO TO THE STORE, OR GO TO THE PARENT BECAUSE OF EMBARRASSMENT OR ANY OTHER REASON, WHY WOULD THEY GO ASK A TEACHER OR A NURSE, COUNSELOR FOR A CONDOM IF IT WILL GET RIGHT BACK TO THE PARENT.  THEY WON'T!  THAT IS ANOTHER REALITY.  MOST KIDS AND TEENS ARE NOT COMFORTABLE WITH TELLING THEIR PARENTS THEY ARE HAVING SEX BECAUSE THE PARENT USUALLY FLIPS OUT.  AND IN THAT THE KID OR TEEN DOES NOT GET THE CHANCE TO COMMUNICATE.  ONLY THE PARENTS.  THAT IS NOT COMMUNICATION, THAT IS DICTATION.  I UNDERSTAND THAT PARENTS WANT TO PROTECT THEIR KIDS AND TEENS FROM THESE THINGS, BUT IGNORANCE AND TELLING THEM NO THEY CAN'T IS NOT PROTECTION.  CONDOMS ARE!  I UNDERSTAND THAT THEY ARE NOT ALWAYS 100%.  I MYSELF AM A WALKING ADD FOR BIRTH CONTROL DOES NOT WORK 100%.  I WAS ON BIRTH CONTROL WITH THREE OF MY FOUR CHILDREN.  I HAD TWO OF MY KIDS NATURALLY, WITH NO PAIN MEDS DURING LABOR.  YOU SAY YOU WILL NOT SEND YOUR KIDS TO A PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM THAT "CONTRADICTS TEACHINGS AT HOME".  WELL THEN YOU BETTER SEND THEM TO AN ALL GIRLS OR ALL BOYS PRIVATE SCHOOL.  BECAUSE IT ISN'T THE TEACHERS THAT CONTRADICT THE TEACHINGS AT HOME.  IT IS THE STUDENT POPULATION AND NATURAL CURIOSITY.  AND AFTER ALL LETS BE HONEST WE LIKE SEX WHY WOULDN'T THEY.  AND YES PARENTS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THEIR KIDS.  BUT WHAT YOU HAVE TO UNDERSTAND IS ONLY TO A CERTAIN POINT ARE WE AS PARENTS RESPONSIBLE.  THEY KIDS HAVE 99% OF THE RESPONSIBILITY WHEN IT COMES TO SEX.  NO MATTER HOW MUCH WE MAY HATE TO ADMIT IT, IT IS THE TRUTH.  KIDS AND TEENS I BELIEVE SHOULD HAVE A RIGHT TO PROTECT THEMSELVES, AND THEIR LIFE'S.  CONDOMS IS ONE WAY TO PROTECT THEIR OWN LIFE'S.  WE AS PARENTS SHOULD UNDERSTAND THAT AND RESPOND AS SUCH.  I AM ALL FOR PUTTING CONDOMS IN SCHOOL.  BY MY FRESHMAN YEAR IN HIGH SCHOOL ALL THE GIRLS I NEW HAD, HAD SEX ALREADY.  EVEN THE GIRLS WHO HAD GREAT PARENTS, AND PARENTS THAT HAD TALKED TO THEM ABOUT ALL THE RISKS INVOLVED WITH SEX PROTECTED OR UNPROTECTED.  PARENTS THAT BOUGHT THE TAPES AND GOT THE PAN-FLITS AND RESEARCHED THE INFORMATION FOR THEIR KIDS.  TOLD THE KIDS WAIT UNTIL MARRIAGE THIS IS WHAT CAN HAPPEN, AND NO DON'T DO THIS.  THE KIDS DID IT ANYWAY!  IT IS A SOBERING REALITY THEY WE ALL NEED TO FACE.  IT WILL NOT HELP TO HAND OUT PERMISSION SLIPS AND HAVE A TEACHER CALL YOU EVERY TIME THEY PICK UP A CONDOM.  I GUARANTEE THAT IF YOU HAVE A 14-15 KID THEY HAVE ALREADY HAD SEX.  EVEN IF THEY DON'T WANT TO ADMIT IT TO YOU.  AND THEY PROBABLY WONT ADMIT IT TO YOU.  MY MOTHER WAS ALWAYS OPEN WITH ME.  GAVE ME THE RISKS, BOUGHT THE TAPES, DID EVERYTHING SHE WAS SUPPOSED TO.  IN FACT I WENT THROUGH SEX ED. CLASSES FROM THE TIME I WAS IN 5TH GRADE UP TO MY SOPHOMORE YEAR IN HIGH SCHOOL.  BUT SHE ALSO ALWAYS GAVE ME THE OPTION TO COME TO HER IF I FELT THE PRESSURE WAS ON TO HAVE SEX OR IF I FELT I MIGHT HAVE SEX.  I WAS ON BIRTH CONTROL BEFORE I EVER HAD SEX.  IN FACT I WAS ON BIRTH CONTROL 6 MONTHS BEFORE I EVER HAD SEX.  MY MOTHER GAVE ME THE OPTION TO PROTECT MYSELF.  SHE ALSO GAVE THE NEIGHBORHOOD KIDS THE SAME OPTION.  KIDS WOULD TRY TO GO TO THE STORE TO BUY CONDOMS AND CASHIERS THAT FELT THEY WERE TO YOUNG WOULD NOT SELL THE KIDS CONDOMS (MIND YOU THERE IS NO AGE LIMIT ON THE PURCHASE OF CONDOMS).  SO THEY WOULD COME TO OUR HOUSE AND MY MOM WOULD TAKE THEM DOWN THERE TO BUY CONDOMS.  SHE GAVE US A WAY TO PROTECT OURSELVES.  SHE DID NOT MAKE IT OKAY TO HAVE SEX, WE MADE THAT DECISION ON OUR OWN.  EVEN WHEN WE HAD PARENTS TELLING US NO AND THAT IT WAS NOT OKAY.  AND BEFORE YOU DOWN MY MOTHER ABOUT BUYING CONDOMS AND TAKING THE GIRLS TO GET BIRTH CONTROL, SHE NEVER ONCE TOLD US IT WAS OKAY.  SHE ALWAYS TOLD US WE WERE TO YOUNG AND NOT READY FOR WHAT SEX COULD BRING OUR WAY, BUT SHE GAVE US THAT RIGHT.  THE RIGHT TO PROTECT OURSELVES FROM STD'S, AND PREGNANCY.  I AWARD MY MOTHER FOR THIS AND HAVE THE UP MOST RESPECT FOR HER AND SO DID THE REST OF THE TEENS THAT SHE PROTECTED.  I AM PROUD TO SAY THAT MY MOTHER DID THAT FOR US WHEN SHE COULD HAVE SAID NO AND LEFT IT JUST TO US.  SHE IS A GREAT MOTHER AND MY HERO.  SHE MADE THE CHOICE TO DO WHAT SHE DID BECAUSE HER PARENTS DID NOT GIVE HER THAT OPTION.  INSTEAD THEY BEAT HER UP AND KICKED HER OUT AT 16 WHEN SHE GOT PREGNANT WITH MY SISTER.  SO WHAT IS THE ANSWER?  PROTECT THE KIDS OR JUST BEAT UP AND KICK THEM WHEN SOMETHING HAPPENS BECAUSE A PARENT DID NOT GIVE THEM THE OPTION TO PROTECT THEMSELVES?  PARENTS PROTECT YOUR KIDS GIVE THEM THE OPTION TO COME TO YOU WITHOUT RECOURSE, JUDGMENT, OR DISAPPOINTMENT.  LET THEM KNOW THEY CAN COME TO YOU FOR WHAT THEY NEED AND THAT THEY CAN DEPEND ON YOU TO GET THEM THE PROTECTION THE SO DESPERATELY PLEA FOR.  PUT THE CONDOMS IN SCHOOLS.  THE KIDS HAVE THE RIGHT TO PROTECT THEMSELVES.  I PLAN ON DOING THE SAME FOR THE NEIGHBORHOOD KIDS THAT MY MOTHER DID FOR US.  IT IS NOT THE PARENTS RIGHT WHEN IT COMES TO CONDOMS.  IT IS THE KID/TEENS RIGHT.  PARENTS YOU DO NOT HAVE A SAY IN WHETHER YOUR KID HAS SEX OR NOT ONLY THE KID DOES.  IT SUCKS TO HAVE TO ADMIT IT BUT THAT IS THE WAY IT IS.  LIKE IT OR NOT.  I WILL GIVE MY KIDS BIRTH CONTROL AND CONDOMS AND I WILL GIVE CONDOMS TO KIDS OR TEENS WHEN THEIR OWN PARENTS PEOPLE THAT ARE SUPPOSED TO PROTECT THEM REFUSE TO.  EVERY TIME YOU REFUSE A KID OR A TEEN A CONDOM YOU REFUSE TO PROTECT THEM.  THEY WILL HAVE SEX ANYWAY.  LET THEM AT LEAST TO HAVE THE PROTECTION THEY NEED.   

AND WHEN IT COMES TO GOD...............NOT EVERYONE BELIEVES IN "GOD".  I DO NOT BELIEVE IN GOD.  IF MY CHILDREN DECIDE THEY WOULD LIKE TO THAT IS THEIR CHOICE.  I HAVE NO SCIENTIFIC PROOF OF GOD, I DO HOWEVER HAVE SCIENTIFIC PROOF THAT CONDOMS CUT DOWN ON PREGNANCY, AND STD'S.  I DON'T GO TO CHURCH I DON'T READ THE BIBLE, AND I DON'T BELIEVE WE ARE JUDGE IN THE END BY ONE MAN.  SORRY BUT THAT IS NOT MY BELIEF.  I WILL NOT BE CONVINCED OTHER WISE.  SORRY WE CAME FROM PRIMATES THAT HAS BEEN PROVED SCIENTIFICALLY.  WHEN YOU CAN SHOW ME PROOF THAT CONDOMS GIVEN OUT FREELY WITH NO RECOURSE OR JUDGMENT DOES NOT CUT DOWN ON STD'S AND PREGNANCY THEN I WOULD AGREE BUT THIS IS NOT THE CASE.  IT IS CALLED REALITY AND PEOPLE NEED TO FACE THE FACTS THAT KIDS AND TEENS ARE HAVING SEX.  THEN MAKE THE CHOICE, DO YOU WANT YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER INFECTED WITH HIV/AIDS OR PREGNANT BY THE TIME THEY ARE 15.  I WOULDN'T HOW ABOUT YOU? 

A BREASTFEEDING MOTHER OF FOUR, 

HENDERSON, NC 

BORN AND RAISED IN PHOENIX, AZ 

It is not a question "IF" they will  have sex it is a question "WHEN" will they have sex??  When I was a teen, sex was not really talked about.. the school sex education class was suppose to teach me and my class mates what we needed to know.  NOT>>   I feel if my parents were a little more "on board" with the "sex talk, drugs, and more involved with my schooling I may have not gone through what I did in high school (another story).   Therefore, I am raising my kids in a TOTALLY different manner.  I am upfront to the point and tell them things that happened to me and my friends (when I was young (14 - 16)) and it scares them to see that there "MOM"  went through and saw things that they are seeing and hearing at 12 yrs - 15 years of age.  The term "I WAS YOUNG ONCE"  brings a real meaning to them.  I am also on both PTO boards, talk to the teachers on a weekly basis, know all there friends and parents,  and have VERY active participation in the school and school work.  My kids tell me "most" things, even if I don't want to hear it, (some stuff is a shocker  but I deal, at least they are talking with me) I listen and try and see how they feel about a situation on personal level and I give my advice freely.  They decide what to do with my advice.

My mother said "payback is a bi_ _ _" and she was correct.  I didn't think my kids would have to go through some of the things they have to deal with in school...  it is soooo SCARY to raise a teenager.

I Was Yong Once
Western MA

December 2, 2008, 8:42 am CST

10/07 The Latest Debates

Well I think that breastfeeding in public is very natural for mothers. It's not there fault their babies get hungry in public, it is just like saying that eating in public is disrespectful. Back in the old days mothers' didn't care if they were in public or not, they would just breastfeed in public, no matter where it is at. : ) so what makes it different now, just bcuz were in a new millenium don't make it any different about breastfeeding.

For the other question that has been going around the U.S; "should condoms be distributed in schools? will passing out condoms in schools prevent unwanted pregnancise or just send the message to kids that it's ok to have sex?"

Well as a teenager (17yrs old) I would have to say no it don't send a message to us "kids" that it's ok to have sex. It is basically implying that we have protection on school grounds. It makes us comfortable to know that we have condoms at our school. B/c there is about17% girls and 29% of boys that engage in sexual-intercourse by age 16. And, obviously our parents rarely talk to us kids about sex and protection. They are more for "SEX UNTIL MARRIAGE". But that may not be the case, teen-pregnancy is very high in the U.S. ans i think that talking to your kids about sex and protection will get them thinking. Don't try to 'prevent' them from not having sex, it won't work. They'll just get more and more curious, and they won't go to you for advice b/c their scared if they ask you about 'sex', you would assume he/she is having or thinking about having sex. Were just curious. I mean you parents/adults were kids once before. You act like were not like you when you were kids. So, why not teach us what we should know, rather than trying to tell us "NO SEX!".

Parents...mothers, it is your job to talk to us about sex. Sure it may be against the lord, but kids can have slips and may be very curious about sex. But GOD is a very forgiving guy when you ask for forgiveness. We kids can't be perfect in our parents book. The parents just have to support their kids and be there for them when they need them the most. Parents who believe in GOD, should also believe in their young ones. Don't just tell them that "GOD wouldn't allow this!", cuz that is not true. *things happen for a reason. and god is faith, so don't put it all on the lord and expecting it to work on us. It makes us want to screw up more. that is just how we are, you tell us not to do something cuz it is wrong. but learning from our mistakes is better than wondering, right? All im saying, is parents it is your duty to talk to us about this and not try to tell us "say no!" b/c obviously you probably didn't say that when you were a kid, maybe you did and maybe you didn't. but it is best for us to make our own mistakes than you worrying about us making yours again. (sry, again if this is offending mothers) but this is what mostly what we think. It is not a wrong doing to the lord or any other religion to have condoms at school, it is just telling us that they are there if we need them. It is NOT promoting to have sex, it is preventing teen-pregnancy that will lead to abortions & STDs. So think about it before you say "no" to distributing condoms in schools.

January 19, 2009, 7:04 am CST

10/07 The Latest Debates

Quote From: animalcat

In my opinion, I do not think women should breastfeed in public. That is not ladylike at all. If you need to do that, go find a restroom or someplace where you can have privacy. Now about the sex education, schools should not give out condoms. That is a big NO NO! Leave anything personal and private to the parents, not the teachers. Its the parents job to tell their children about sex and other things too.
With all due respect, would you allow anyone to tell you to eat YOUR lunch in a restroom?  My child should not be expected to eat lunch in a dirty and contaminated place!  As long as I'm not 'flashing' the whole place, I should be able to breastfeed wherever I want...and in fact I'm supported by the law in most states.  I'm sorry if you are uncomfortable, but the fact is that I'm always going to do what is best for my child and when he is hungry...well...I'm going to feed him and not allow him to cry hungrily while I look for some place  'private'. 

Crying babies draw way more disapproving eyes than nursing ones do.  ;)

February 18, 2009, 8:44 am CST

opinion 1

Quote From: nm71136

If you are leaving the house when it close to time for the baby to eat, then yes you could pump a bottle - if your baby will even take a bottle.  If it is not close to the time when your baby will be eating - you can pump all you want but you won't be getting a whole lot of milk!  The milk is not always there.  If your baby just ate recently and then you have to go - you are not going to be able to pump a bottle. 

B/F babies won't necessarily take a bottle or either formula or breastmilk.  My youngest would not take a bottle for anything - but I tried.  I took a bottle of pumped milk to the mall when I knew I was going to be there when it was time for her to eat.  She cried the entire time I tried to give her the bottle - I ended up having to find a "somewhat comfortable and decent" bathroom to feed her.  I breastfed two babies for 15 and 18 months each.  I always tried to feed them before we left to go anywhere, but you can't always plan everything.  Women should be discrete but they should not be made to feel like criminals just because they need to feed their baby.  I never met any breastfeeding mom or who purposely "showed everything" - just the opposite - most do everything they can to not show anything!  This is life - get over it and deal with it.  Nobody is forcing you to watch the baby eat.  Everyone talks about their right to not have to see it - but these same people seem to be perfectly fine with taking rights away from the b/f mother and the babies who need to eat.  GROW UP! 

then maybe these women need to give them bottles off and on so its not a problem

June 4, 2009, 2:46 am CDT

On These Topics

First on breastfeeding.

It is how we are designed. Breast feeding provides things that no synthetic substitute can provide. There is nothing wrong with feeding your child the way nature has intended. It's like saying if you want to breath, you should only do it at home, or with your face covered. People can not grow into their full potential mentally, emotionally or biologically with out being breast fed.

Children are not "spoiled" and will not do as they please just because they are breast fed longer than the recommended minimum.

I could give my daughter a strawberry every day, just for coming home from school. It doesn't mean that she wont be eating her dinner or cleaning up her toys. It doesn't mean she will misbehave or talk back just because I give her something that that is not only comforting, but good for her.

It's a bond between mother and child. As long as the mother is a good mother, and doesn't try to enable, please, or quiet her children in poor form, then it should be up to the mother and child together when breastfeeding is over with. It's about balance and a healthy relationship.

However, it is respectful to those that are close-minded or ignorant to evolving social norms, to place a thin blanket over your shoulder while feeding in an open, public area. Causing upset and stress to your child to simply make a statement isn't emotionally healthy for them. Especially while feeding and bonding.

Condoms in Schools

Prevention is the best way to solve an issue such as teen pregnancy and the spread of diseases.

A lot of people seem to have the wrong idea about what is being said to their children in schools during health education. Unless you feel your child is below average mental capacity, they surely wouldn't assume that because they have a condom in their hands means that its ok to have sex with whom ever, when ever. Giving them out in class in front of peers and superiors isn't the best idea either. Providing a safe, anonymous environment for teens to obtain condoms would be the best idea. It gives them the option to choose to be safe, with out embarrassment or harassment.

It's also not only about giving away condoms with no direction. These classes teach teens what their parents have not, will not, or are not able to.

These classes teach people about disease, how it is spread, the best ways to prevent pregnancy and sickness. It resolves myths about HIV and AIDs. It lets them know about social situations, peer pressure, avoiding endangerment, and what to do if something like rape or pregnancy occours.

Some parents may view these topics as obscene. A solution to this might be an optional class taken after school, or a private session with a nurse or guidance counselor. Awareness of these classes should be circulated through-out the school. Students should be aware that their comfort and anonymity will will be protected.

It's not about disobeying your parents. It's about reserving the right to your health and safety, and being aware of resources that are available to everyone. Many programs in and out of schools are designed to prevent and treat sickness and pregnancy to those of young ages, because of the ignorance or lack of responsibility that parents have as of late.

No, you can't reach out and teach every person, but giving them an emotionally understanding and informative avenue to learn about science, biology, and their physical health and safety is a human right.

Disciplining Other Peoples Children

I do not feel you should discipline other peoples children if they are strangers to you. Sitting or Chaperoning is a different situation.

You have a right to raise your child how you see fit. However, if you do not agree with a parents style, you should bring it up to them in a manner that you might want it brought up to you. Interfering with the children themselves is just as atrocious as rude, obnoxious children.

Sometimes it doesn't matter how polite about it you are, the parents themselves are ignorant and rude. Therefore nothing can be done. Sometimes people that behave in those manners become aggressive or vengeful, and you do not want to provoke a violent situation. But remember that everyone has bad days, parents and children alike. Running, yelling, a bit of foul language, a big tantrum over candy might happen on an "off" day. It's really more about the level, type and length of the poor behavior, and the reaction from the parents in regards to the children's behavior.

Some feel that correcting someone else's parenting in front of the child may cause them to be further disrespectful of their parents. But that would only be the case if such a situation was reoccurring. And if your parenting is so off-putting that others have a need to say something that often, then you must be doing something wrong in the first place to lose that much control of your children so often.

But no, there is no reason a child that has not been left in your care should receive any form of discipline from you.

A child in your care, on the other hand, lets say... birthday party, baby sitting. It's not proper to hit someone else's child. Even if they do, and especialy with out permission. Time out or removal of whatever is feeding their poor behavior should be about the only thing. And if the child is violent or destructive, have them removed by the parents. If the behavior continues before the parents can arrive, a seated bear hug until the  child calms should be the most hands on that you get.

In my personal opinion, if anyone ever yells at or hits my child for any reason, I would be incredibly aggitated. And if I did not leave my child in the care of these persons, I would call the police.

First | Prev | 597 | 598 | 599 | 600 | 601 | 602 | Next Page | Last Page