Message Boards

Topic : 03/16 Cheerleader Scandal

Number of Replies: 3116
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 07, 2005, 03:42:52 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 10/13/05) In a heartbeat, your entire life can change. No one knows this better than the families of Brandi and Daniel. Seventeen-year-old Brandi was a cheerleader, an excellent student and an all-American girl. She was in love with athletic 18-year old Daniel. Now he’s dead and she finds herself behind bars serving a 12-year sentence, all because of what happened in just a split second. Was it murder or simply a horrific accident? Hear members of both families describe how the tragedy unfolded, and the struggle to put together the pieces of their shattered lives. Plus, Dr. Phil visits Brandi in prison to ask some very hard questions. She has an emotional message for Daniel's mother -- and for Daniel. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More March 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 13, 2005, 7:06 am CDT

I believe Brandi's story

If you read between the lines of what each family stated on the show today, you would have to believe Brandi's version of the story. Apparently, Daniel had some issues because he was sent to live with his father. Add a resentment for women (due to the relationship with his mother) to his other problems, mix it with being 18 (changing hormones etc.) and you have a controlling, stubborn, and invincible (as Daniel probably felt) young man who would step out in front of a vehicle. I also would have like to seen Brandi's mom defend herself when Daniel's mom trashed her in her statement. It was totally unnecessary, and Brandi's family did not sink to that level. I wish Brandi's family would have been more assertive.

October 13, 2005, 7:08 am CDT

Who lies for their children?

I just watched this episode and I can't believe the selfishness.  This is a boy who repeatedly threaten the lives of others and himself.  He jumped in front of a moving car.  Sounds like he is the one that planned it---how did he know it was her returning? He was throwing himself infront of anyonw if you ask me.  Also the sister stated she was in the house and heard the voices getting loud and dialed 91 (did'nt get the whole 911) when she heard a crash.  BUt minutes later she stated she seen the whole thing happen.  Now someone tell me who is doing the lieing for the children? 

JMO 

there will be justice when this girl gets to go home! 

October 13, 2005, 7:11 am CDT

10/13 Cheerleader Scandal

Quote From: armywife76

I believe that forgiveness is a wonderful thing.  I'm very sorry for your loss and think that you did a great job explaining your situation.  My heart goes out to you and your family as well as other families that have endured this same pain.  I also believe that both families need to start the healing process and cannot dwell on what they cannot change.  I have never lost a child, and hope I never have to, but I can understand the pain they must be going through.  I don't think anyone should ever have to endure that pain.  But, I'm a believer that everything happens for a reason and people can become stronger from things that have happened in the past.  The family of Daniel should put their faith in God knowing that their son is in his hands now and taken care of.  They cannot bring him back to life and should somehow come together and move forward just like Dr. Phil said on the show.  I don't think by continuously pointing fingers at Brandi and her family is going to help matters any.  This is only going to cause more family fued and neither families are going to ever truely be happy, or healthy.  Daniel's family should start leaning on eachother for support and realize, like you had said, that there are other children in this family.  My heart goes out to them.   

Brandi was a young girl who obviously made some bad choices in her life.  Who hasn't?  Yes, she took a life and should serve some time in prison for it.  The reason I say that is because our justice system cannot and should not make exceptions just because people don't agree.  Our justice system has to remain strong or other people who may be guilty of more severe crimes will walk our streets.  We have to have some kind of structure to hold our society together.  Do I think that she can be rehabilitated and has learned from her mistakes, absolutely.  I think it's time for her to be released.  I know it sounds harsh, but I have to believe that our legal system is doing the right thing.  I feel that Brandi's family should go through some kind of counseling and heal themselves as well.  They have a daughter that is very much alive and needs their support in every way if they plan for her to lead a somewhat normal life when she is released.   

Thank you ascanbe19 for sharing your story.  You are a brave woman and I commend you for being so strong.  I'm not sure I could be and hope I never have to be.  Thanks again. 

I think that Brandi did pull out in front of Daniel and did kill him on purpose! Nobody is going to jump out in front of a vechile willingly to get hit! I think that her time is the right amount of time to be in there and she should tell the truth that she did murder Daniel.

October 13, 2005, 7:12 am CDT

Innocent

Clearly Brandi is innocent.  Daniel's family is acting purely on emotion.  It's understandable as losing a child is very difficult but if they can't learn to forgive they will have a horrible quality of life.

October 13, 2005, 7:13 am CDT

I AGREE WITH YOU!!

Quote From: fieryeddie

Well I feel Brandi knows she killed him. But at 17 I feel she may not have known the complete consequences for her actions.

I feel if she or her family believes she is all so innocent they would have gone for a trial.

I also feel she is only just scratching the surface of what she has done. So she in the right place. And her sentence is not what her or her family thinks she should get or even Daniels. That’s what courts are for, so judgment can be from people who are not affected
I agree with you on that I think she did indeed murder Daniel and she deserves the time for it!!!

October 13, 2005, 7:13 am CDT

What about an apoplogy?

If Dr. Phil wouldn't have asked Brandy if she was sorry, she probably would have never said it. Same with her parents. I understand very well what it's like to have a loved one in prison, under similar circumstances. The difference is Brandy's family was attacking the family of the deceased during their grief, that's unbelievable to me. The family made me feel like maybe Brandy wasn't telling the whole truth. She seemed to feel no apparent sadness except for her being incarcerated, and the fact that it's tearing up her family. She should be around 29 years old when she gets out of prison, very young and able to have a life. Her family should understand Daniel will not have that same opportunity. They  need to understand, maybe after seeing themselves on the show, they will. I pray for everyone involved.

October 13, 2005, 7:19 am CDT

I think that Brandi did murder Daniel

Quote From: knv1979

If you read between the lines of what each family stated on the show today, you would have to believe Brandi's version of the story. Apparently, Daniel had some issues because he was sent to live with his father. Add a resentment for women (due to the relationship with his mother) to his other problems, mix it with being 18 (changing hormones etc.) and you have a controlling, stubborn, and invincible (as Daniel probably felt) young man who would step out in front of a vehicle. I also would have like to seen Brandi's mom defend herself when Daniel's mom trashed her in her statement. It was totally unnecessary, and Brandi's family did not sink to that level. I wish Brandi's family would have been more assertive.
I disagree with you and think that she did murder Daniel I saw the show today and think that when Brandi said that she was abused and he hit her, I think that's a lie!! You show me where she had marks on her body that proved that he did that! You can't! Becuase their was none! I think she needs to do her time for what she did and should have got life in prison for murdering Daniel. Daniel's family has to deal with the dealth of their son now and Brandi's family still has their daughter and gets to see her live her life, grandbabies, graduation, marriage, etc.

October 13, 2005, 7:20 am CDT

Omg.....

I just got through watching the show....I know what she is going through (in sum ways) ....I to was abused in my last realationship and I too lost a loved one in an accident. The only people who truly knows wat really happened is her and him.....he cant say nethang cuz he is in a much better place and no matter wat she says they wont believe her so yea.......In a way I think it is both of their faults....1) b/c she shouldnt have taken the care and 2) b/c he shouldn't have jumped out in front of the car......so yea....I think they should move forward and move on b/c that is what he would want them all to do..... 

.Kim. aka Kimmie~Bear 

October 13, 2005, 7:34 am CDT

what a terrible tragedy

By watching today's show it just really seems that both families need to do alot of healing.  I really think Brandi's family is selfish and doesnt seem to try to understand what the other family is feeling. I mean what if her son killed their daughter?  How would they feel then?  Would they want justice? Would they be angry because they no longer have the life of their child to share all the future joys that have been robbed of them.  They still have Brandi,  yes she is serving her time for what has happened,  but she will get out and will at least have her life ahead of her.  What she makes of it will be up to her, and I imagine she would want her family to try to be stronger for her at this time.  I do feel terrible for his family and hope that in time you can forgive because that is such a strong part of moving on.  I hope that you can find strength and support thru other people with such tragic losses and I wish  you peace as Dr Phil has.   

October 13, 2005, 7:35 am CDT

How Dare She Not Say SORRY!!!!!!

I have watched the show today and I am outraged. Brandy was interveiwed and seemed to truely have no remorse for what she has done other then hurting her family. Brandy made a statement that she cried herself to sleep at night. Dr. Phil asked why and she said because she has hurt her family and that she just want to go home. SHE NEVER SAID BECAUSE SHE TOOK SOMEONES LIFE. Are u kidding me! Then it took Dr. Phil to ask her if she was sorry then she says yes. I truely feel that she intentionally killed him and that it was during a fit of rage. It was stated by Dr. Phil the she was going somewhere around 60 MPH, In a trailer Park that is intentional. I believe that the speed limit is 30 MPH or less. What would be the purpose of going so fast other then to hurt him. I cant believe that our justice system would sentence a girl for no eveidence proving that she dis kill him intentionally. I dont see even Brandy's lawyer saying take this plea because this is as good as your ganna get. The only reason for this being said would be because there was enough evidence to put her away for life. My only question now is What was the Prosecution THINKING!!! WHy give her a PLEA???? She willingly murder this boy and now shell eb out before we know it.  

I AM A FIRM BELIEVER U TAKE A LIFE YOU LOSE YOUR LIFE!!!! She knew what she was doing and she attempted to cover it up. She is a MURDER !!!!!!!! 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last