Message Boards

Topic : 03/16 Cheerleader Scandal

Number of Replies: 3116
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 07, 2005, 03:42:52 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 10/13/05) In a heartbeat, your entire life can change. No one knows this better than the families of Brandi and Daniel. Seventeen-year-old Brandi was a cheerleader, an excellent student and an all-American girl. She was in love with athletic 18-year old Daniel. Now he’s dead and she finds herself behind bars serving a 12-year sentence, all because of what happened in just a split second. Was it murder or simply a horrific accident? Hear members of both families describe how the tragedy unfolded, and the struggle to put together the pieces of their shattered lives. Plus, Dr. Phil visits Brandi in prison to ask some very hard questions. She has an emotional message for Daniel's mother -- and for Daniel. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More March 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 13, 2005, 7:44 am CDT

10/13 Cheerleader Scandal

We are talking about TEENAGERS.  NO I don't think Brandi did it on purpose.  Absolutely not.  I think one thing that is double hard in this situation is that Daniel is a TWIN.  You have this one in a million or whatever of the statistic... that any place you go the world stops when twins walk in the room to admire and say Oh How cute....  There is no word to describe how TRAGIC this is.  But EVERYONE KNOWS that American Jails leave much to be desired and are not the proper place for Brandi.  IT WAS AN ACCIDENT.  Now Brandi does this accidentally, and the suffering is OVER for Daniel.  I am not saying get over it because I don't think you can.  But Brandi hurts Daniel and his family ACCIDENTALLY and Daniels family PURPOSEFULLY TORMENT Brandi by insisting she pay in a prison cell that is probably not even fit for animals.  Who has the real malice here?  I think you have to build the Biggest Memorial to Daniel that you possibly can.... BUT THE PAST CAN'T CHANGE.

October 13, 2005, 7:44 am CDT

Are U Kidding ME!!!

Quote From: knv1979

If you read between the lines of what each family stated on the show today, you would have to believe Brandi's version of the story. Apparently, Daniel had some issues because he was sent to live with his father. Add a resentment for women (due to the relationship with his mother) to his other problems, mix it with being 18 (changing hormones etc.) and you have a controlling, stubborn, and invincible (as Daniel probably felt) young man who would step out in front of a vehicle. I also would have like to seen Brandi's mom defend herself when Daniel's mom trashed her in her statement. It was totally unnecessary, and Brandi's family did not sink to that level. I wish Brandi's family would have been more assertive.
Your telling me that because he had problems, Brandy's story had to be true. What if her were ur son? What if you had to go through this? HOw dare you say that Brandy's story holds anyvtruth other then THAT SHES SORRY FOR HURTING HER FAMILY!!!! This girl needs to be thankful that she only got 12 years because if I had been the prosecution THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN NO! PLEA! BARGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!! 

October 13, 2005, 7:47 am CDT

Quote From: jayleigh

Dr. Phil stated that Daniel threatened to commit suicide if Brandi left him. She made it clear it was over and, while LEAVING HIM he stepped out in front of her car. It sounds like a suicide to me!  She has served more time than child molesters, child rapists and murderers. Let her go home.  Daniel got what he wanted... her and her brother's lives virtually over, and forever scarred, and he wanted to be dead. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but that's what I heard on the show. It's a sad, sad story.
 I agree.  Daniel's family has a basketfull of issues that THEY need to deal with.  His mom really came across as unstable on the show. 

My heart goes out to Brandi and I hope that her story inspires girls in abusive relationships to TELL Someone that things are going badly before things escalate to this level. 

October 13, 2005, 7:49 am CDT

Quote From: trevorsmom

I disagree with you and think that she did murder Daniel I saw the show today and think that when Brandi said that she was abused and he hit her, I think that's a lie!! You show me where she had marks on her body that proved that he did that! You can't! Becuase their was none! I think she needs to do her time for what she did and should have got life in prison for murdering Daniel. Daniel's family has to deal with the dealth of their son now and Brandi's family still has their daughter and gets to see her live her life, grandbabies, graduation, marriage, etc.
 Abuse is not always physical. Emotional and mental abuse do happen way too often and there are NO visible signs. 

October 13, 2005, 7:51 am CDT

Shame on Brandi's Parents

I have never written on this board before, but today I have felt compelled to do so. 

I am so angry at this show. Shame on Brandi's parents for verbally attacking her victim's family.  Do they have no sense of decency? They get to talk to their child whenever they want. They obviously raised a spoiled daughter who throws tantrums that ended someone's life.  She was crying in prison but only because she got caught. She plead GUILTY in order to get that plea agreement! Ignorance is not a defense. 

Did anyone notice that Brandi blamed everyone else for her situation instead of taking responsibility?  Shame on Dr Phil for letting these people verbally assualt Daniel's family on his show. 

October 13, 2005, 7:52 am CDT

I feel your pain...

As a 17 year old girl myself, watching this show made me realize a lot of things in regard to relationships and forgivess.  When I was listening to Brandi, it was like listening to just another girlfriend of mine.  I know how stressful boys can be;; just in my cases of course not to the extent of abuse and such.  It's like when your 17 and dealing with the stress of boys, you can identify with these others girls and sort of feel thier pain. My heart goes out to both families- for the physical loss of a son and for the emotional loss of a daughter.  I pray that both families will be able to work this experience out in their hearts and seek out and ask God to help them deal with this trial. 

I felt bad for Brandi when she was explaining what had happened in the accident.  We all make mistakes... and hers was careless, yes;; BUT in the heat of the moment, sometimes things happen that you don't mean for. I believe her when she said it was an accident.  Just from watching the show and seeing the remorse she felt-- you can tell she didn't mean to hurt Daniel.   

To Brandi's family: Not only do I think the courage you have shown throughout this trial in your life is outstanding and admirable, I also feel that the way that you handled Daniel's mother and sister on the program was very mature and respectable. Not one time did I hear you insult his family, the way that they were badgering you and running you and your daughter/sister down.  Although I know that Daniel's family lost a very wonderful brother and son, and that is so traumatic;; I do not think that the rude comments that Daniel's mother made were at all in the right and should have been said at all. To call Brandi's mother a "piss-poor mother" was down right unclassy.  No mother should ever be called that, no matter what case.  I know that his mother and sister (and whole family!) must be feeling so much pain from the loss, but to act out in anger should not be the answer.   

It made me sad me feel very sad for Daniel's family when his mother and sister repeatedly kept saying that they will never forgive Brandi.  What a shame.  To think that Jesus Christ laid down his life to pay for our sins and he always forgives us for our wrongdoings, and they cannot forgive this poor family.  They will suffer from the pain of Daniel's death for the rest of their lives if they cannot find it in thier heart to forgive and find peace from the Lord.  By forgiving doesn't ever mean you will forget the loss of your son, but instead to find peace in your heart.  Remember that the Lord will never give you something that you can't handle and this trial will help you to become a stronger and closer family.  Look to God in all aspects of your life and trust Him in all that you do.  Good can always come out of a bad situation.   

I just wanted to give my perspective and a 17 year old and tell these families that seeking God and finding forgiveness in your heart is the answer.  I know that it won't be easy, but try it.   

Psalm 46:10 "Be still and know that I am God." 

1 Peter 5:6-7  "Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, casting all your cares upon Him, for He cares for you." 

Psalm 145:18-19 "The Lord is near to all who call upon Him, to all who call upon Him in truth.  He will fulfill the desire of those who fear Him; He also will hear their cry and save them." 

October 13, 2005, 7:53 am CDT

IT WAS MURDER plain and simple She deserves to stay in jail. She shouldve gotten more time ; at least 25 years. It  struck me strange that in her interview she was asked why she didnt get out to check to see what she had hit and she said that she was affraid that if he was alive that he would kill her. That showed guilt and she knew what she had done. Behind those fake tears she feels no remorse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SHE SHOULD PAY  

October 13, 2005, 7:55 am CDT

Unbelievable!

I'm am currently watching this show and I am totally appalled at the way Brandi's father is talking to the parents of the boy she killed!  Yes,  she's a teenager who made a grave mistake and I can feel for her.  She's young and was under stress at fighting with her boyfriend.  Teenagers don't think.  But her father is an adult.  He has his child.  In twelve years she will be out and able to live her life.  Up until now, this father has not shown one ounce of sympathy for this family who will never see their son again.  He actually brought up that the mother hasn't raised her son for five years.  He's trying to make this family look bad on National T.V., so that his precious little girl who not only hit their son, but then drove home, put a tree through the windshield, climbed back through her bedroom window, and lied to her parents about what had happened.  There is no way she did not know that she hit that boy.  If she did not know she hit him, then how does she know he jumped out in front of her car?  Amazing what she chooses to remember and not remember.  Her father and mother think they are above these people.  They aren't even thinking about the twin who no longer has his brother or the parents who have to live the rest of their lives without their son.  I do not have a bit of symathy for Brandi's mother's health or the fact that her parents had to separate for awhile.    I do feel for Brandi who's parents aren't telling her that she committed a crime, but instead telling her that she's right.  That's really teaching your children right from wrong.

October 13, 2005, 7:55 am CDT

appauled

I am just appauled at the fact that Brandi's parents are acting so selfish!!!  This family lost a son...REGARDLESS!!  Only Brandi and Daniel know the truth so how can WE say what is truth and what is not.  All we can go on is the story. It goes for the parents as well!  NO ONE KNOWS THE TRUTH!!!!  Only Brandi.  I can not believe these parents are sitting up there saying the mother was not in his life, he lived with his father, etc..  It sounds as if they are trying to say he brought this on himself!!!! I mean is this relevant?   A life was lost and I think her parents are only thinking of themselves and their daughter who they get to talk to, celebrate birthdays, have grandchildren with, etc.... 

Daniel's parents don't even have this option.  

October 13, 2005, 7:58 am CDT

I personally believe that there is a lot of truth to both sides of the story. I am not much older than the 2 main participants of this event. (I recently turned 20).  

Both Daniel and Brandi were in the wrong. I do believe that it is very probable that Daniel was abusing Brandi. Abuse is very common in high school and many high school girls don't know how to handle it properly and the police generally don't want to get involved with high school boys abusing girls. (One friend of mine was simply told to just leave her boyfriend by the police when she told them about her abuse.) It isn't an issue that most parents or school counselers bring up with girls and most don't know how to deal with the situation effectively. A grown woman has a lot more wisdom and resources to deal with the situation. (For one most women don't work with their boyfriends and can always move to a different house. Teens are stuck at highschool and are forced to see their abuser every day.) 

At the same time, it was completely inappropriate for Brandi to steal her parents car, and then make up a story about wrecking it. Even if it was a complete accident that she hit Daniel and that he did step in front of the car (I could see him having such a tough guy attitude and thought that he was so macho that he would step in front of a car and that she would stop simply because it was him, or it could have even been suicide.) Even if she supposedly didnt know what she ran over (which I don't believe) she should have at least checked, instead she drove home and lied to her parents after she stole their car! Maybe this isn't first degree murder, but I do feel like voluntary manslaughter is a decent charge and she deserves the time in jail. She also sounds like she is a rather spoiled, smug and irresponsible girl if she feels like she can steal her parents car and then make up a story about it. Even if she didnt "mean" to kill him. 

Both of the kids involved sound rather arrogant and spoiled. Most high school kids don't know anything about the world but because they are on the cheerleading squad or the football team think that they have made it to the top of the world and know everything. (Yes, I know this sounds harsh but I was in High School not that long ago.) Even so called "good kids" do a lot of shady things behind their parents back that their parents don't know about because they know that they can get away with it. (Like steal their parents car for instance.) I feel very sorry for both of the families and their losses, and I hope that they can find healing and forgiveness and the strength to move on, (yes, the loss of a child is the most terrible pain anyone could suffer and I don't wish that upon anyone.) But I can't really say that I feel that sorry for either of the kids involved. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last