Message Boards

Topic : 03/16 Cheerleader Scandal

Number of Replies: 3116
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 07, 2005, 03:42:52 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 10/13/05) In a heartbeat, your entire life can change. No one knows this better than the families of Brandi and Daniel. Seventeen-year-old Brandi was a cheerleader, an excellent student and an all-American girl. She was in love with athletic 18-year old Daniel. Now he’s dead and she finds herself behind bars serving a 12-year sentence, all because of what happened in just a split second. Was it murder or simply a horrific accident? Hear members of both families describe how the tragedy unfolded, and the struggle to put together the pieces of their shattered lives. Plus, Dr. Phil visits Brandi in prison to ask some very hard questions. She has an emotional message for Daniel's mother -- and for Daniel. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More March 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 13, 2005, 8:12 am CDT

FORENSICS WILL PROVE INTENT

After viewing the sad program today regarding the young woman that drove her car into her boyfriend, killing him, I'd like to offer a suggestion.  Maybe Dr. Phils show would consider contacting Dr. Henry Lee, one of Americas foremost forensic scientists, to review this case.  It's possible that  forensics can prove what happened the night this boy was killed.  Take the emotion out of it and let science discover the truth...and let the chips fall.   Either way, both families will have to decide when they will put this behind them and start living again. 

October 13, 2005, 8:12 am CDT

Disgusted with Brandi & Her Parents

Brandi's family should be ashamed. They continued to blame Daniel for his own death by saying "he jumped out in front" of Brandi's car. They completely disgusted me. They had no remorse, they were heartless, and were only concerned about their spoiled daughter's jail sentence. Daniel lost his life, his parents lost their son and they were totally insensitive. Brandi's father made me ill. The way they attacked that family mortified me. They even mentioned how they were not involved in Daniel's life...That was WRONG!!!...They are evil people and there daughter is a brat...she belongs in jail for 112 years!!!!

October 13, 2005, 8:13 am CDT

Accident or not...

This is just something for both family's to think about. I don't believe that it was addressed in the show whether or not the family of the victim pressed the charges against Brandi; i am assuming that they did. I want both families to be aware that the state (at least the state that i live in) can press charges, even if the family of the victim chooses not to do so. Even in the case of an accident. I can only empathize with Daniel's family, but am living through the state pressing charges against someone i love for an accidental death. I think that while both families realize the loss that the other has experienced, that neither is yet capapble of seeing past the unfairness that they feel is the result of their personal losses. I wish each family the comfort of knowing that they are not alone in these losses, as well the peace that they will feel when they are able to come to terms with the situations they each find themselves in.  May God bless you all.

October 13, 2005, 8:16 am CDT

10/13 Cheerleader Scandal

after watching todays show i feel that it was an accident and if he wouldnt have kept threatening her and wanting her to come over he would be here today to tell his side.  meaning if he would have just been a man and when she wanted to break up take it in stride and let her go.  To many young relationships dwell on the fact that they feel they are in love but over all i feel its a lust situation they are to young to know what the real meaning of love is.  Over all i feel that she didnt not intentionally kill him she may have been upset but he should never stepped in front of the moving vehicle. 

October 13, 2005, 8:16 am CDT

Who does she think she is

I think she should die in jail 12 years is not half the time she disserves she should be there if the rest of her life and her mom and dad should get it through there heads that she is a sick little girl!

October 13, 2005, 8:17 am CDT

10/13 Cheerleader Scandal

WHAT I DON'T UNDERSTAND IS THAT SHE SAID THAT SHE DIDN'T KNOW SHE HIT HIM, BUT YET SHE SAID HE JUMPED OUT IN FRONT OF HER.  I THINK MAYBE SHE DID KNOW BUT SHE JUST GOT SCARED.   I DON'T THINK SHE REALIZES HOW MUCH PAIN SHE HAS CAUSED, SHE'S JUST WORRIED ABOUT THE PAIN SHE CAUSED HER FAMILY.

October 13, 2005, 8:17 am CDT

I do not agree

Quote From: debrahahn

If she is innocent why not go to trial and prove it?  She is guilty .  Anyone that not only loses their lawyer,  but has to plea bargain does NOT HAVE A LEG TO STAND ON!!!!!!!!!!
I do not think that Brandi went to Daniel's house to intentionally run him over...But she got angry and did it!!!...She and her parents are comletely heartless, and unsympathetic to Daniel's family. They were only concerened that the punishment was to harsh...well, what about Daniel's punishment???...Did he deserve that??..

October 13, 2005, 8:18 am CDT

It is sad when we can't forgive!

I really don't care whose fault it is.  I would like to have heard from the boy's dad a little more.  I think in his quietness he knows more than he wants to admit.  I am truly sorry that two people' lives are gone forever.  She will never be the same girl and you can't bring him back.  It is a shame that something could not have been done prior to this tragic incident.  BUT BOTH FAMILIES ARE SO HATEFUL, AND THE ONLY ONES THAT IT IS HURTING AT THIS POINT IS THEMSELVES.  Forgiveness is such a healing tool, not for the guilty that did the crime whatever it may be, but for the one who it was done to.  If his family could get past the anger and see that every life has value even hers.  What would they be saying if he had beat her and she died would it be her fault as well. 

October 13, 2005, 8:19 am CDT

guilty

I think she's guilty. I also agree that both families need to forgive each other and the situation. Nothing is going to change what happened. Anger only makes things worse.  She didn't seem to care about what she had done. She was able to drive home, lie, cover the car, etc... but her mind was blank? I don't buy it. I hit another car in a parking lot and I get all freaked out. How could you not be crazy with emotion after hitting someone? And she had no remorse about her.  Even if it was an accident, and I don't think it was, you would think she would be sorry. You would think she would care about the other family and their lives and what she's taken from them. All she seemed to care about was herself. 

October 13, 2005, 8:19 am CDT

Was this appropriate?

In my opinion, nobody knows what really hapened that night except Brandi and Daniel. To try to hash it out after the fact, as we saw on the show, could take a lifetime. 

I understand that both families agreed to come on the show. But having them on the stage, verbally going after each other, may not have been the best setting in which to deal with it. Was that truly necessary? Could they have not been interviewed seperately?  

I hope Dr. Phil arranges for both families to get some long-term counseling, especially the kids. They need it badly.  

This is just my opinion, folks. I know most people probably don't agree with me.  

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last