Message Boards

Topic : 03/08 Stalking the Stars

Number of Replies: 242
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 14, 2005, 03:42:20 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 10/17/05) Do you catch yourself mesmerized by the photos in People or US Weekly magazines, looking to see who's wearing what, who's drunk and who's kissing whom? We can't get enough of celebrities, but when does our obsession go too far? Dr. Phil's first guests are two photographers who capture famous faces — but one is a paparazzo who chases down the stars, while the other is invited by celebs to take their pictures. Then, meet two women who can't stop obsessing over their favorite celebrity. Tabitha's infatuation with Tommy Lee is holding her back from meeting her "real" soul mate, and taking time and money away from her 3-year-old daughter. Could something biological be causing her obsession? And, Jenni wants to be the famous twin Mary-Kate Olsen so badly, it's ruining her life and could be killing her. Share your thoughts.

Find out what happened on the show.

More March 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 15, 2005, 10:12 am CDT

I am the exact same way, only with Nicole Richie

Hi this is my first message on the Dr Phil website. I was watching the show on Friday and noticed a preview for a show about a girl who is so influenced by Mary-Kate Olsen that she purges with a picture of her. I am the exact same way- when I was watching the show I quickly identified with the level of glamour and sucess thats now associated with eating disorders. My eating problems started long before I began to take notice of all of the shrinking celebrities now in Tinseltown, I became bulimic at the age of 13, and have struggled off and on with both bulimia and anorexia since then ( I am now 18)- this past year I've really gotten out of control. I feel that my perfectionism ( I've obtained a 4.0 average and graduated from a top school in the top 2 percent of my class- and I am starting NYU in the Fall, I've taken a year off to travel.) has lead to such a tremendous amount of stress and exhaustion that I need to keep atleast one thing in control in my life- my body. I am about 5'5 and 100 pounds, but my goal weight is 85 pounds, because thats Nicole Richie's weight, and I think she looks great now. I paste pictures of her together in a scrapbook and whenever I want to eat, I look at them- and imagine myself being that perfect. I also pasted a picture of her on my bathroom wall and when I am purging I do look at it. I feel the same way about Mary-Kate and Lindsay Lohan, but Nicole RIchie is my favorite "thinspiration." I weigh myself about 5 times a day and make up little rules in my head about punishments for eating too much. I never go above 400 calories.....I'm hoping to get treatment soon though, since its been happening for years now. Although celebrities obviously didn't cause my problems, seeing them in magazines with gorgeous bones poking out certainly doesn't help.

October 15, 2005, 2:51 pm CDT

Amy Lee Obsessor...

Well, if it makes a difference I'm over obsessed with Amy Lee (( Lead Singer of Evanescence)). At first I thought it was the band I had my heart set on knowing everything about, but it's mainly Amy. Posters, CDs, I have a shrine right next to my window with all three albums on stands! I even keep them dusted. I have books, and I'm only interested in the quotes that Amy has contributed. I got for the look as well, even though it's mainly just a stage look. Make-up I even tried to grow my hair down to my butt, and pale my face with make-up. I'm on a diet to get as thin as her --;  

I've taken the clothes into consideration as well, geez a lou! Boots everything! I've spent entire paychecks on a wardrobe...JUST TO LOOK LIKE HER. I've practiced singing like her, and I know more about her then most Evanescence fans. What's even worse, I know her birthday and actually celebrate it, know her age, and I even know where she's currently living --; I also know her height...ect...I know I'm obsessed and what scares me is I don't even care. o.o  

October 15, 2005, 6:05 pm CDT

Money

October 15, 2005, 6:42 pm CDT

I about fell out of my chair when I saw this

When I saw the preview for this show I seriously almost fell out of my chair.  I have been a fan of Mary-Kate my whole life.  When I came to college I became even more obsessed with her, which was the time when my eating problems really began to get out of control.  Before this, in my junior year of high school, I stopped eating and purged what I did eat, to drop weight.  Once I was down to about 115 I ate again.  However, once in college, the more I saw Mary- Kate the more I really wanted to be like her. She's famous and can do and meet anyone. She can even hire people to make sure she doesn't eat if she wants to.  She doesn't have to worry about money and growing up to get a job. I am 5'5", but my weight gain/loss pattern has stayed consistent with Mary- Kate's.  When she was at her lowest, so was I.  I weighed 70 some pounds last year, and I am now 90.  I gained because I thought it was for  the best, but it's not. I'm so miserable. I feel like a huge blimp.  I feel that I no longer look innocent. My stress about growing up and being in my junior year of college scared me so bad I cry every night.  I am a very nervous person, and I just want to die.  I generally gain in the summer, which I have, and now I have to start losing just like Mk is doing.  I hate myself regardless of my weight, but at a lower weight people notice me and like me a whole lot more.  Then I look sweet and perfect.  I want to meet MK so bad; I want to know is she's still anorexic, and if not how she gets through life now without it.   I know I need to quit this, but I have no other purpose in life right now. I feel that the people I know are disappointed in me when I gain. 

October 15, 2005, 7:02 pm CDT

10/17 Stalking the Stars

Quote From: carla_nyc

Hi this is my first message on the Dr Phil website. I was watching the show on Friday and noticed a preview for a show about a girl who is so influenced by Mary-Kate Olsen that she purges with a picture of her. I am the exact same way- when I was watching the show I quickly identified with the level of glamour and sucess thats now associated with eating disorders. My eating problems started long before I began to take notice of all of the shrinking celebrities now in Tinseltown, I became bulimic at the age of 13, and have struggled off and on with both bulimia and anorexia since then ( I am now 18)- this past year I've really gotten out of control. I feel that my perfectionism ( I've obtained a 4.0 average and graduated from a top school in the top 2 percent of my class- and I am starting NYU in the Fall, I've taken a year off to travel.) has lead to such a tremendous amount of stress and exhaustion that I need to keep atleast one thing in control in my life- my body. I am about 5'5 and 100 pounds, but my goal weight is 85 pounds, because thats Nicole Richie's weight, and I think she looks great now. I paste pictures of her together in a scrapbook and whenever I want to eat, I look at them- and imagine myself being that perfect. I also pasted a picture of her on my bathroom wall and when I am purging I do look at it. I feel the same way about Mary-Kate and Lindsay Lohan, but Nicole RIchie is my favorite "thinspiration." I weigh myself about 5 times a day and make up little rules in my head about punishments for eating too much. I never go above 400 calories.....I'm hoping to get treatment soon though, since its been happening for years now. Although celebrities obviously didn't cause my problems, seeing them in magazines with gorgeous bones poking out certainly doesn't help.
     I certainly hope you DO get counseling--and soon. There's no telling how much time you have left before your cardiovascular system shuts down. Singer Karen Carpenter had the same problem; she didn't survive her obsession with being the "perfect" size. Anorexia and bulimia killed her--it will eventually kill you too if you don't get help.

October 15, 2005, 7:14 pm CDT

Stalking the Stars

It infuriates me to see the stalkerazzi harassing some celebrity. Where will it end? What next, hide in the john and catch Mary-Kate Olsen on the commode? Bribe a house painter to take interior shots of Lindsay Lohan's place? And what does chasing someone down city streets, causing an accident and snapping pictures of the aftermath have to do with the First Amendment? (I must have missed that tidbit of information in my high American Government class!) That is precisely how Princess Diana lost her life; does it have to come to that? I can't wait to hear what these vultures have to say Monday!

October 15, 2005, 8:24 pm CDT

Why Why Why???

Quote From: carla_nyc

I read your post & got thinking...  What the heck is the matter with people???  I know many people who are inspired by celebrities & who envy them but to WANT TO BE THEM!!!  I'm sorry but C'mon. 

They have the looks, they have the money, they have all the glam & glory but have you ever noticed the one thing they haven't got that we common people can have with just a little work???  True happiness!!! 

Seriously.  They put on the happy act for the cameras because they have to.  Otherwise it's broadcast all over the globe that their lives aren't so perfect.  Some of them capitalize on that these days, just like some capitalize on having kids, some on being just plain stupid...  Yeah there might be a little talent still out there but the whole industry is more nonsense than talent.  Splitting & getting back together, cheating, broadcasting their private lives...  Gimme a break!!!  Anything to keep their faces in the mags & on the news. 

Those people aren't truly happy.  That's why they keep losing weight that isn't even there.  That's why they drink & do drugs.  That's why it's a big deal when something bad happens in their life.  They make millions off their "supposed" problems. 

It might just be me but I'd be absolutely embarassedif the world knew my problems the way we know theirs.  If they think it's ok to turn these things into a worldwide share & make money off it then go for it.   

The thing is...  We're not them.  No matter how sick we make ourselves, no matter how hard we try...  They've already been established for whatever reason they're so famous.  The world doesn't need anymore Jessica Simpson's or Britney Spears' or Jennifer Anistons etc. etc. etc. 

Why not just be happy with who you are???  You can be who you want in life without having to nearly kill yourself over trying to be someone you can never be.   

Take care of YOU girl!!!  Get help, get well & be happy with who you are!!! 

October 15, 2005, 11:41 pm CDT

Can you imagine?

I would be horrified if someone, or a whole slew of someones, was following my every move trying to get a picture of me or my family to worship or sell to some sleazy magazine. I think that celebrities who have a problem with stalkarazzi's should all get together and pay other people to give the stalkarazzi's a bit of their own medicine. Take pics of the stalker's private life and send the pictures to all of their friends and relatives, bosses and employees. See how much they enjoy it. 

Then again, that would just be stooping to their level. I guess all any decent person can do to try to stop this horrific business is to refuse to be drawn into watching Entertainment Tonight or buying one of the many entertainment magazines that litter check-out lanes. 

Then there are the people that obsess with celebrity lives. That makes me so sad. Sure, they are drop-dead gorgeous, showered with gifts and praise, living a luxurious life that we can only dream of... but wouldn't you rather make something of your own life than try to be some pale copy of a famous person? I know it is said that mimicry is the highest form of flattery, but geez o petes. The odds are just not in your favor.  

And just look at the people that all the others want to emulate. Many of them inherited that life, or were discovered in extremely rare, chance events. And many of the people everyone wants to be like are so plastic. It's all showbiz and drama and make-up. Why can't we have astrophysics idols, or celebrity botanists? Maybe it's just the geek in me, but I would never give up my life of scientific research for fake body parts, constant pressure to appear perfect in public, and shooting the same scene hundreds of times in hundreds of ways just to get a perfect take. I wouldn't want to be idolized to the point where people cried at the sight of me, always bug me for autographs and interviews, or stalked me because the media has put it into everyone's head that I'm the newest hot thing of the day.  

Learn how to love yourself, for that is the only way you will ever find happiness and be able to pass it on to others. 

October 16, 2005, 2:32 am CDT

me too

i am obsessed with jessica simpson. ok, maybe obsessed is a strong word. but i like her a lot. she is pretty and sucsessful. she is not perfect by all means and that makes her a lot more likeable. i wish i could be so carefree and pretty and have a fun career like she does. i wish i could have so much willpower so that i could exercise more and have a body like she. but i dont and i keep putting the weight on. i am embarrassed, i am 26 and i try to be like jessica. she is adorable

October 16, 2005, 4:27 am CDT

who cares

I don't know why so many people are obcessed with celebrities. As for me i could care less what they wear who they date who they love or who they hate. It's time we look at our own lives an stop living through theirs. it always amazes me how women especially scream when they see a celebrity on a show. I would much rather cheer for the every day person. The person who puts themselves in harms way for their fellow man. Real people stand up an take a bow...:-)

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last