Message Boards

Topic : 03/08 Stalking the Stars

Number of Replies: 242
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 14, 2005, 03:42:20 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 10/17/05) Do you catch yourself mesmerized by the photos in People or US Weekly magazines, looking to see who's wearing what, who's drunk and who's kissing whom? We can't get enough of celebrities, but when does our obsession go too far? Dr. Phil's first guests are two photographers who capture famous faces — but one is a paparazzo who chases down the stars, while the other is invited by celebs to take their pictures. Then, meet two women who can't stop obsessing over their favorite celebrity. Tabitha's infatuation with Tommy Lee is holding her back from meeting her "real" soul mate, and taking time and money away from her 3-year-old daughter. Could something biological be causing her obsession? And, Jenni wants to be the famous twin Mary-Kate Olsen so badly, it's ruining her life and could be killing her. Share your thoughts.

Find out what happened on the show.

More March 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 8, 2006, 11:49 pm CST

This truly saddens me!!

I saw your show today with Jenni describing her obsession with Mary-Kate and this is so sad that such a beautiful girl to think she is not.  perfect enough.   It is not that she is not it is that in her mind she really feels she is not and believes it.  I am a mother of an anorexic/bulimic son. For 2 years now I have stopped my life to seek every bit of help I can.. They said it does not happen to boys, wrong, it did,  A coach asked him to lose and he went to the extreme.   He has been in and out of the hospital and his organs shutting down.  He still believed he was not thin enough. Yes scared we all were.  He had so many dreams ahead of him to go to college and play ball,,and all of them shattered because of something he believed.  He is 5'7" and is lowest weight was 98 pounds.  The thinner he got the more his thinking was distorted.  Our family was falling apart and we pleaded with him.  His Grandfather intervened and helped him alot.   

He has finally chosen to fight and is now in a treatment center and calls me every day and says  

Thanks Mom and I love you.. It had been so long since I heard those words.   

Those who are suffering please seek help.  God loves you...  

March 9, 2006, 1:13 am CST

Be The Star of Your Own Life

The show on celebrity obsessions has given me a great idea for a business... 

TO EVERYONE WHO IS OBSESSED WITH A CELEBRITY, HERE'S MY REMEDY:   Go to a "glamour" photographer such as Glamour Shots and get a few good head shots and full length shots.  I will use these shots to create realistic looking magazine and tabloid articles with YOUR NAME and YOUR PICTURE.  When you get them, TAKE DOWN all the pictures and posters of the star you're obsessed with and put these up instead.  TURN OFF THE TV.   COVER THE MIRRORS and use them only when you're getting ready for the day.  STAY AWAY FROM NEWS STANDS, as well as websites of your favourite star.   

As far as pictures go, the only difference between the stars and average folks like you and me is a publicist, a stylist, a hairdresser, and a good photographer.  ANY of us could be on the cover of a magazine looking great if we had the kind of production system behind us that stars do.  PROVE IT TO YOURSELF by giving yourself the opportunity to see yourself as a star! 

Okay, I admit I don't have the software to make the layouts at the moment, but contact me in 9 months when I'm finished my graphic design course.  :) 

March 9, 2006, 4:49 am CST

Bulmeia does kill

I am so sad to hear that this young lady is so fixated on Mary -kate that she would put her family through this kind of hell.It shows that she is self-centered and very selfish.Even as she was answering Dr.Phil she was doing the Mary-Kate pout.  I know how deadly this eating disorder can be and how it can destroy lives.My mother was bulmeic for 49 years.She was doing it a long time before it became popular. It destroyed her marriage,made my life  horrible as we struggled to keep this secret.No,it didn't kill her at a young age...she'lived'to be 78years old and died this past year of kidney failure...it's hard for your kidneys to function when you weigh only 59 pounds and are very proud of it. The people with this disorder will look you directly in the eye and say they hate it and they will try to stop,but they really love all the attention it brings them and when you tell someone about it ,they are mad as hell. She needs to do WHATEVER it takes before another child has their life destroyed this way.

March 9, 2006, 5:23 am CST

good post, littlepigs!!

Quote From: littlepigs

I completely agree with you regarding the disparity between how our culture rewards entertainers (including athletes) and those who truly make a difference in the world.  It saddens me to think that we place such a premium on superficial things likes looks or money or lavish lifestyles that these people become more important than they have a right to be.  Have we learned nothing from the endless stories of how truly awful these peoples' lives are and how they often end up?  Think of Elvis, and Marilyn, and Judy and so many others who crash and burn after thier star fades.  The eating disorders that are rampant in Hollywood today are a symptom of a sickness that prvades this industry.   The most beatiful and talented among us are still not good enough.  I am old enough to have witnessed the metamorphosis of stars from earlier eras such as Cher, and Farrah  and Michael who have become shadows of their former selves. 

We don't even see the truth behind these "packaged" commodities.  For example, everyone is spellbound by Brad and Angelina.  He is no more than a philandering husband having a mid-life crisis and she is a sexually depraved self mutilator who has been able to buy children like the rest of us buy pets.  Didn't Joan Crawford adopt some kids in the 40's for the same reasons and we later learned that she was a toxic parent? 

Think of the hypocrisy of this; Brangelina recently were lauded for visiting the earthquake victims in Pakistan, yet they also were reported to have stayed at a $7000 a night hotel during their stay.  How many homes for victims could they have built for this money?   

It's time to see these people for what they are, flawed and narcissistic people who don't deserve the attention that they get. 

Wow, you make so many good points that mirror the way I see things!!  Our society does seem to be a celebrity-obsessed one which proves that "sex sells".  The trashier they are, the less clothes they wear the more people seem to devour them.  How else would you explain why Brittney is so popular? 

What is truly sad is that there are so many girls that are trying to emulate these spackled and painted people who are obsessed with keeping themselves stick thin.  What they are seeing on magazine covers are people who spent hours having their hair done to perfection and their skin painted over to look flawless.  Ever wonder why all the stars wear all that black makeup around their eyes?  It is to hide where the fake eyelashes have been attached.  So we have a bunch of celebrities with all this fake stuff to look glamorous, and young girls are mentally beating themselves up for not being able to live up to this standard which is fake to begin with. Time would be much better spent if girls would work on developing their skills and talents rather than trying to look like some superficial movie star. 

I loved the "Brangelina" point you brought up.   Let's spend a little time with the earthquake victims, but on to our lavish hotel suite to pamper ourselves!!  Seven thousand dollars could make a world of a difference to those victims, but instead it was wasted on unnecessary luxury for overgrown spoiled brats who probably no longer appreciate it anyway.   

I for one see things as you do-that these "stars" are an ego-centric bunch of flawed and selfish people who don't deserve the attention they get. 

March 9, 2006, 5:27 am CST

better yet.....

Quote From: russet

The show on celebrity obsessions has given me a great idea for a business... 

TO EVERYONE WHO IS OBSESSED WITH A CELEBRITY, HERE'S MY REMEDY:   Go to a "glamour" photographer such as Glamour Shots and get a few good head shots and full length shots.  I will use these shots to create realistic looking magazine and tabloid articles with YOUR NAME and YOUR PICTURE.  When you get them, TAKE DOWN all the pictures and posters of the star you're obsessed with and put these up instead.  TURN OFF THE TV.   COVER THE MIRRORS and use them only when you're getting ready for the day.  STAY AWAY FROM NEWS STANDS, as well as websites of your favourite star.   

As far as pictures go, the only difference between the stars and average folks like you and me is a publicist, a stylist, a hairdresser, and a good photographer.  ANY of us could be on the cover of a magazine looking great if we had the kind of production system behind us that stars do.  PROVE IT TO YOURSELF by giving yourself the opportunity to see yourself as a star! 

Okay, I admit I don't have the software to make the layouts at the moment, but contact me in 9 months when I'm finished my graphic design course.  :) 

Concentrate on your unique talents and skills and develop them.  Live your own life instead of living in a fantasy world.  Be well-groomed and put forth your best appearance, but realize that looks are not the most important thing in life.  It is not looks. but what comes from within you that is going to make you truly happy.

March 9, 2006, 8:07 am CST

A man's celebrity obsession

I completely relate with the girl who wants to be like Mary Kate Olsen.  I have a similar obsession with Paul Giamatti, I want to look just like him, he represents physical perfection for me.  I look at his picture when I need a little extra motivation to finish a box of doughnuts or an entire large pizza.  Sometimes my face really itches and I want to shave so bad, but I look at pictures of Paul at the Oscars and manage deal with the scratchy face.  I think about looking like Paul all of the time, I also obsess over  Philip Seymour Hoffman, but paul is my definate number one.  I spend hours a day trying to find thick black frames for my glasses.  I often look at my scalp in the mirror twenty times a day to see if I am balding yet, I am affraid that my infatuation has taken over my life, I NEED HELP! 

March 9, 2006, 8:25 am CST

26 Yr. Old Man's Perspective

Quote From: marjekas

i am obsessed with jessica simpson. ok, maybe obsessed is a strong word. but i like her a lot. she is pretty and sucsessful. she is not perfect by all means and that makes her a lot more likeable. i wish i could be so carefree and pretty and have a fun career like she does. i wish i could have so much willpower so that i could exercise more and have a body like she. but i dont and i keep putting the weight on. i am embarrassed, i am 26 and i try to be like jessica. she is adorable

You are pathetic, how could you buy into something designed as a marketing icon for adolesent girls and/or horny middle aged men.  She represents all that is wrong with our society. You want to be like someone who is mentally dim and materialistic.  Get a real role model and try to be a little less concerned with something so stupid.  She may be a nice piece of ass, but that's it.  She is successful because she had greedy parents who were willing to gamble her life on show business. She is completely isolated from real life and has no clue what real people go through, she is a tool.  I don't care what you look like, being obsessed with jessica simpson or any celebrity is completely unattractive to guys, I am a successful, good looking, college graduate and If you are hot I might spend a night with you, but I would have no interest in every talking to you again.  You should read some books and maybe do some charity work so you can figure out what is really important in life. 

March 9, 2006, 8:48 am CST

Narcolepsy

Quote From: oceansrio

I am wondering if anyone reading this message board has ANY interest in Dr. Phil doing a show about Narcolepsy?  

If so PLEASE let him know. I am VERY interested in such a show and believe that parents (especially) NEED to learn the signs since the average age of onset is 15-17 years old.  

Currently diagnosis is taking about 10-15 years since we have not been educated as a society. That is a huge amount of lost time often filled with unnecessary suffering. 

Please encourage Dr. Phil to do a show about Narcolepsy (with or without Cataplexy). Thanks all! 

I was diagnosed with narcolepsy in 1959 when I was in college.  It has been an up and down thing for me, but it is easier to live with now that at least some people are aware of the disease.  Since I am now in a wheelchair full time, I can hide it better than many.  Also the people I work with now accept my asking them "Did you say ..., or was that just one one my (hypnogogic) hallucinations?"  That is probably the hardest thing for me, since I tend to have these with great regularity. 

So, a show about narcolepsy, its symptoms and various treatments would be really great, especially for teens who are having these symptoms and are given no slack by peers and adults. 

March 9, 2006, 9:15 am CST

totally agree

Quote From: jhmedtech

This is my first entry, and what finally drove me to it is watching the segment on Jenni, and how she wants to look/be one of the Olsen twins. If Dr Phil thinks for one second that she intends to take his advice, he's the crazy one! The entire time she was agreeing with Dr Phil about wanting to get in touch with her own self and forget mimmicking MaryKate, and knowing that her daughter is depending on her to set a good example, Jenni did nothing but push out her lips, just like Mary Kate. Jenni even said that that characteristic of MaryKate's is one that she admired and wished to copy. Maybe it's just me, but Jenni took Dr Phil on a pity ride! She needs help!!
i agree with you 100%, i really don't think the issue was truly dealt with on the show. jenni has a wonderful daughter it seems, but the only one you can truly change for is yourself. alot of people with EDs have children they love, but they still have an ED. hopefully jenni will change after the show (shes absolutely gorgeous and is most likely a great person!!), but i agree, it seems she needs much more help and won't be able to make the change alone with only dr. phil's advice.

March 9, 2006, 9:17 am CST

Hey Parents

The real reason for eating disorders and celebrity obsessions has nothing to do with Hollywood.  If you put your sons and daughters first in your life this would never happen.  I'm not talking about spending money, I'm talking about spending time.  Instability in the home is probably the main cause, but also something as simple as not giving your children the attention and love that they need will make the difference.  So many parents today think that making more money is the best way to help their kids, not true.  Live in a smaller house, drive a cheaper car, don't spend thousands on the latest fashions.  This will not only teach your kids that superficial and material comforts are not important, but it will free up time to spend talking and listening...If you are not ready or willing to give up material goods and vacations and going out to the clubs, GREAT, then don't have kids! 

First | Prev | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | Next | Last