Message Boards

Topic : 03/08 Stalking the Stars

Number of Replies: 242
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 14, 2005, 03:42:20 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 10/17/05) Do you catch yourself mesmerized by the photos in People or US Weekly magazines, looking to see who's wearing what, who's drunk and who's kissing whom? We can't get enough of celebrities, but when does our obsession go too far? Dr. Phil's first guests are two photographers who capture famous faces — but one is a paparazzo who chases down the stars, while the other is invited by celebs to take their pictures. Then, meet two women who can't stop obsessing over their favorite celebrity. Tabitha's infatuation with Tommy Lee is holding her back from meeting her "real" soul mate, and taking time and money away from her 3-year-old daughter. Could something biological be causing her obsession? And, Jenni wants to be the famous twin Mary-Kate Olsen so badly, it's ruining her life and could be killing her. Share your thoughts.

Find out what happened on the show.

More March 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 9, 2006, 9:33 am CST

GET REAL

Quote From: bierk98

You are pathetic, how could you buy into something designed as a marketing icon for adolesent girls and/or horny middle aged men.  She represents all that is wrong with our society. You want to be like someone who is mentally dim and materialistic.  Get a real role model and try to be a little less concerned with something so stupid.  She may be a nice piece of ass, but that's it.  She is successful because she had greedy parents who were willing to gamble her life on show business. She is completely isolated from real life and has no clue what real people go through, she is a tool.  I don't care what you look like, being obsessed with jessica simpson or any celebrity is completely unattractive to guys, I am a successful, good looking, college graduate and If you are hot I might spend a night with you, but I would have no interest in every talking to you again.  You should read some books and maybe do some charity work so you can figure out what is really important in life. 

If you had the money that Jessica Simpson has, you would be able to look great too.  It's not that she is so dedicated, anyone with money can get a personal trainer and have their meals prepared for them.  They also don't work regular  schedules as a lot of people do, 8:00 to 5:00 so they have time during the day to work out with their trainers.  They have other people prepare their low fat, low carb, low calorie meals.  If these people have children, they have full time nannies.  And don't forget all of the plastic surgery.  It's not that these people are really all that great and have such will power, they just have the time and money that most people don't have.  I would look great too if I had a personal trainer, prepared meals, maid service, and someone to take care of my children.  People need to realize that these people are not special, they just have more money, spare time and resources.

March 9, 2006, 9:58 am CST

Hollywood

This show wasn't very suprising to me. When Dr.Phil asked any of the audience weather they belived anything in tabloids they all said no. In Dr.Phil's words "ya right." I bet at least half of them belived some of the stuff in tabloids. And I bet that one or two of them belived everything in tabloids. 

March 9, 2006, 10:22 am CST

About celebrities and Paparazzi

Okay, I have read enough messages attacking the paparazzi, and I just have to put in my $0.02. 

The reason why we get caught up with celebrities' lives, rather than what's going on in the world, is because most people find the news situation at current to be depressing.  I used to hear this from some friends and family, and I wanted to say, "That's no excuse to not keep tabs with what's going on in the world."  But now, with the situation in Iraq, the terrorist threats and activities around the world (do London and Madrid ring a bell for anyone here?) and all the murders and arson, etc in our big cities, (the City of Winnipeg, Manitoba, not far from where I live, started Operation Clean Sweep a few months ago to clean up crime, and many people say it's not working) I'm starting to see what they mean.  It was only a few months ago that the people of my country were venting their anger towards murder mistress Karla Homolka once again.  And then there's all the mud slinging in politics, another spat between the USA and any other country.  Need I go on?  I could be typing through next weekend. 

Tell me, would you rather read about all that in a newspaper, or about the new love in Bruce Willis' life, or about Madonna and Guy Ritchie in attendance at Donna Karan's latest fashion show, etc, in the tabloid magazines?  Which is more distrubing to you?  I apply this same theory to another "disturbing" trend - the continuous popularity of reality TV. 

Now, if I were a famous actor, model, singer, etc, I would be all willing to let the paparazzi take pictures of me and my family - but I'd have to be careful about what I do and wear.  It's not like attacking them and plotting their murder is going to solve the problem.  Just give them what they want, and they'll go away when they're done.  Hell, I could advise them to go out and get a real job, but they'd convince me that serving the public by doing what they do IS their job.  Well, if my picture is going to earn them lots of bread, then why not go along with it?  Even a paparazzo's got to eat.  And maybe some members of this group have wives and children of their own to support.  Did any of you ever think of that? 

And not only that, but if the paparazzi asked me anything about my activities, I'd give them straight answers, even if it means STABBING OTHER CELEBRITIES IN THEIR BACKS!!!!!  "Absolutely not, I may have danced up a storm with Reese Witherspoon, but in no way am I plotting to steal her away from Ryan Phillipee."  "Yes, I had those Madden twins from Good Charlotte in a headlock.  I've had it with them saying their so punk, when I have more punk in my hangnail than they do in their latest album, and trying to use this 'charm' to steal MY date!"  And it's worth a few smiles to see quotes like the latter in the tabloids, to expose any celebrity I despise and clash with - and that's another piece of advice I'd give the "fresh meat" - that they WILL be dealing with situations like this.  Talk about using a sleazy situation to your advantage.   

I'll bet you a million dollars that there are several "paparazzi whores" who will act this way in Hollywood.  I would tend to be among that group. 

Yes, as you can tell by those last paragraph, I would be willing to sign away my privacy just to keep the "wolves" at bay.  It would be the exact advice I'd give any aspiring celebrity.  "Be prepared to give up your private life, because once you become famous, you are officially fair game for the tabloids."  With certain lifestyles come certain sacrifices, and I'm sure everyone in Hollywood or the all-powerful music industry is aware of that, yet it seems they are all afraid to admit it, thus explains why the have to shield themselves in hats and sunglasses and seven layers of fashionable clothing.   

It is so tempting  to say, "I am so sick and tired of people who say they cherish their privacy so highly?"  Really?  Then I would advise against becoming a famous celebrity.  Seriously, get yourself a nine-to-five job behind a desk with a computer in an air-conditioned office if you can't bear to have people invading in your private life - and keep your office door closed expect to go to meetings, lunch and the bathroom. 

As for our obsession with celebrities, as long as the local, national and international news we deal with continues to be depressing, we will continue to be interested in what's going on in the lives of our fave celebrities, just to make ourselves feel better - and continue to watch Survivor, the Amazing Race and American Idol. 

March 9, 2006, 12:38 pm CST

Sad state of our nation

Quote From: lioness901

This show wasn't very suprising to me. When Dr.Phil asked any of the audience weather they belived anything in tabloids they all said no. In Dr.Phil's words "ya right." I bet at least half of them belived some of the stuff in tabloids. And I bet that one or two of them belived everything in tabloids. 

This dumbing down of America is a sad state of our nation. People are so far out of reality that they think the unreal is real. Our newspaper devotes a large portion to soap operas and treats it like the characters are real people. When I see someone, standing in line in the grocery store with me, picking up a tabloid, I think "Didn't go to school much past the eighth grade." 

As disgusting as the smut reporters are, the consumers of their smut  are worse. 

March 9, 2006, 3:20 pm CST

03/08 Stalking the Stars

Quote From: peace48

How could you possibly KNOW him?  He is an actor, when he is being interviewed he is acting, when he is on the big screen he is acting, what a person is like behind their own closed doors is so different from what they are in public espeically actors.  Cheeeesssssssss
I said a dated a guy that looked like him i never said i knew him

March 9, 2006, 5:58 pm CST

I can't believe Jenni doesn't see how BEAUTIFUL she is

It made me so sad to watch Jenni's story. I can only wonder what happened to her in her life to cause her to have such low self-esteem. I am absolutely dumbfounded by how this young woman can look at herself and hate what she sees. She is an absolutely beautiful girl. I wish she only knew just how many girls would LOVE to look like her.  She is much prettier than MaryKate or Ashley. I pray she is able to see her own worth so she is able to model that for her daughter. It is so crucial for a little girl to grow up with a mother who values herself as a woman so she will learn to do the same. Otherwise, she will subject herself to unhealthy relationships and develop unhealthy, if not deadly, habits. Her beautiful little girl needs to be able to grow up with food being merely something you use to nourish your body and not something that controls your life. An unhealthy view of food leads to a lifetime of emotional pain that is difficult to rid yourself of later. I have, unfortunately, seen this so many times. I wish this young mother the very best and hope that she is able to take pride in herself and her own life as she journeys through this great adventure known as motherhood. That is greater than anything MaryKate Olson has going on in her life.
As to the obsession so many people in this country have for celebrities- I also do not understand that at all. I mean, I could really go on for a while about this one but I'll save everyone from that. I'll just say this: there are so many people in this world who are so much more worthy of adoration. In fact, if more people would choose better role models it would go far to make the world a better place. With all these kids today growing up with the goal of simply "being famous" the world is going further and further down the tubes, in my opinion. Whatever happened to people wanting to grow up to make a difference in the world, wanting to actually achieve something? Where did it all go wrong? ; )

March 9, 2006, 10:57 pm CST

how about a real hero?

I think it's sad that kids today say these "stars" are their heroes and strive to look like them. I remember when I was a kid, my hero was Helen Keller. Still is. Anyone out there have real heroes? I mean, I love Madonna, but I don't consider her a hero at all! I just like her music.

March 10, 2006, 9:21 am CST

OH COME ON!!

i HAVE BEEN A FAN OF THE SHOW FOREVER BUT i WAS Disappointed WITH THIS TOPIC. who cares about celebrities and their lives? I dont know about the rest of you but I am too busy trying to live MY LIFE to worry or be obsessed about the lives of stars. The show was trite and boaring to me. Besides , I dont think the people on the show will really stop their obsession. How do you have time to be obsessed with Tommy Lee while raising a 3 year old? Try being obsessed with being a mom! THATS your job.

March 10, 2006, 9:30 am CST

Why isn't Dr. Phil helping Jenni with her anorexia?

Quote From: jayndoe7

It made me so sad to watch Jenni's story. I can only wonder what happened to her in her life to cause her to have such low self-esteem. I am absolutely dumbfounded by how this young woman can look at herself and hate what she sees. She is an absolutely beautiful girl. I wish she only knew just how many girls would LOVE to look like her.  She is much prettier than MaryKate or Ashley. I pray she is able to see her own worth so she is able to model that for her daughter. It is so crucial for a little girl to grow up with a mother who values herself as a woman so she will learn to do the same. Otherwise, she will subject herself to unhealthy relationships and develop unhealthy, if not deadly, habits. Her beautiful little girl needs to be able to grow up with food being merely something you use to nourish your body and not something that controls your life. An unhealthy view of food leads to a lifetime of emotional pain that is difficult to rid yourself of later. I have, unfortunately, seen this so many times. I wish this young mother the very best and hope that she is able to take pride in herself and her own life as she journeys through this great adventure known as motherhood. That is greater than anything MaryKate Olson has going on in her life.
As to the obsession so many people in this country have for celebrities- I also do not understand that at all. I mean, I could really go on for a while about this one but I'll save everyone from that. I'll just say this: there are so many people in this world who are so much more worthy of adoration. In fact, if more people would choose better role models it would go far to make the world a better place. With all these kids today growing up with the goal of simply "being famous" the world is going further and further down the tubes, in my opinion. Whatever happened to people wanting to grow up to make a difference in the world, wanting to actually achieve something? Where did it all go wrong? ; )
Jenni surely needs help - and I'm curious as to why Dr. Phil hasn't offered to help her with someone in her home town to talk with her about her anorexia?  He has helped others who I feel are far less deserving and medically critical - such as the couple who couldn't stand his mother/her mother-in law.  This Jenni has a fantasy life going on, and openly stated several times that she hates her life.  Jenni also said she throws up @ 20 times a day.  Does he feel she's conning him?  I don't get it!

March 10, 2006, 11:17 am CST

Common now

Hi, I am Jenni.  I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for the support.  Many people had harsh words to say about me and my situations, but I don't think you can really judge me after seeing a 15 minute clip.  For the record I would like to say that I do not have an eating disorder BECAUSE of Mary-Kate, but that my obession did fule it.  I don' t think that was made very clear.  Anyway, thanks to all who care.   

Jenni 

First | Prev | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | Next | Last