Message Boards

Topic : 03/08 Stalking the Stars

Number of Replies: 242
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 14, 2005, 03:42:20 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 10/17/05) Do you catch yourself mesmerized by the photos in People or US Weekly magazines, looking to see who's wearing what, who's drunk and who's kissing whom? We can't get enough of celebrities, but when does our obsession go too far? Dr. Phil's first guests are two photographers who capture famous faces — but one is a paparazzo who chases down the stars, while the other is invited by celebs to take their pictures. Then, meet two women who can't stop obsessing over their favorite celebrity. Tabitha's infatuation with Tommy Lee is holding her back from meeting her "real" soul mate, and taking time and money away from her 3-year-old daughter. Could something biological be causing her obsession? And, Jenni wants to be the famous twin Mary-Kate Olsen so badly, it's ruining her life and could be killing her. Share your thoughts.

Find out what happened on the show.

More March 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 10, 2006, 10:40 pm CST

Is this really Stalking/

I thought this was a good show and I think the guest "Jenni" is brave to come on the show and admit her problem.  and on a personal note I think she's  a very attractive woman on the Inside as well as the outside...  I'd Love to meet here how could I ?  anyone have any Idea's.... 

contact me at (free2bme67@yahoo.com) 

March 11, 2006, 2:39 pm CST

I can relate

I can relate to the woman who was obsessed w/Tommy Lee.  I was getting that way about Keith Urban, reading his webpage, finding out all about him, when he was on TV, where he was playing, etc.  I felt I was going too far, so I stopped reading celebrity magazines (although I still look at the covers), watching entertainment TV shows, I even got rid of his CDs.  But I have to admit, I'm genuinely feeling sad that he is, or already has, gotten married.  I know it's ridiculous & I feel like a fool, but there we are.  It took me this long to work up the nerve to post it for the whole world to see, but now it's out there, I kind of do feel better.  If anyone is still reading these & has any other advice, let me know.  But please don't tell me just to 'get a life'.  I already know that & besides, it really doesn't help.

March 12, 2006, 4:48 pm CST

Not just disappointed, insulted actually

Quote From: kathy1955

i HAVE BEEN A FAN OF THE SHOW FOREVER BUT i WAS Disappointed WITH THIS TOPIC. who cares about celebrities and their lives? I dont know about the rest of you but I am too busy trying to live MY LIFE to worry or be obsessed about the lives of stars. The show was trite and boaring to me. Besides , I dont think the people on the show will really stop their obsession. How do you have time to be obsessed with Tommy Lee while raising a 3 year old? Try being obsessed with being a mom! THATS your job.
 I haven't been a fan forever, not an Oprah fan at all and since that's where Dr. Phil got his TV start, I just wasn't too interested. Started watching last season, and for the most part have found the show interesting and worthwhile. But when he started this one with a line like "C'mon admit it, your fascinated with celebrities", I was disappointed and insulted.

I'm not fascinated by the lives of celebrities, I don't  buy or read tabloids or even the more acceptable crap like People or Us. I like to see a good movie or television show, but there are so few  offered.

It absolutely sickens me that so many people seem to look to these celebrities for their opinions on politics, or to Hollywood for  moral guidance. Look at the children who have been given Academy Awards for Best Actor in the last 20 years. People are confusing celebrity with importance and intelligence and looking up to people whose greatest professional honor has been achieved by children!

I think it's sad that on several occasions, Dr. Phil has resorted to name-dropping, claiming celebrities as personal friends...he is clearly star-struck. Please , Dr. Phil, don't automatically lump me or the rest of America  into that category with you.

I should have changed channels right away, but instead I heard  the photographer guest saying that it was us regular people who dictated what the magazines publish, and what photos the photographers go after. If that was true, I'm sure we'd be seeing a lot more photos and articles on Johnny Depp and a lot less on Britanny Spears and Jessica Simpson!

The truth is the media tells the ignorant schmucks what they should be interested in and there are enough gullible people out there who buy into it! Don't lump me in with them, even you, Dr. Phil!

BTW, I was watching the movie Airport the other night, it was made in 1970, ...there is a scene where the character  played by Burt Lancaster and  the actress playing his wife discuss divorce...he says 'is that what you want, for our children to be from a broken home?" and his 'wife' replies "they'd rather be from a broken home than live in one"! Who could have guessed that so much good advice could be found in a cheesy 1970's movie!

March 14, 2006, 7:26 pm CST

Narcolepsy

Quote From: oceansrio

For sharing your story. I hope Dr. Phil  finds a way to educate his audience about narcolepsy perhaps by having you as a guest.  

I know of a couple of people (with N) have been contacted about appearing so there is hope.  

My prayer is for parents of children and teenagers and also young adults to learn enough from the show to get diagnosed early so that their hopes, wishes and dreams are spared.  

Undiagnosed narcolepsy is a thief. 

Any luck with getting a response from Dr. Phil on a show on Narcolepsy? 

I am in to helping in any way I can. I have had the big N since 1994. 

People so do not understand this disease, including the doctors that treat you. 

Email me from my profile if I can help, 

Thanks 

March 15, 2006, 5:54 am CST

03/08 Stalking the Stars

Quote From: kathy1955

i HAVE BEEN A FAN OF THE SHOW FOREVER BUT i WAS Disappointed WITH THIS TOPIC. who cares about celebrities and their lives? I dont know about the rest of you but I am too busy trying to live MY LIFE to worry or be obsessed about the lives of stars. The show was trite and boaring to me. Besides , I dont think the people on the show will really stop their obsession. How do you have time to be obsessed with Tommy Lee while raising a 3 year old? Try being obsessed with being a mom! THATS your job.

Unfortunately, many people care. That's what creates the market for the butt-whipe papers. The people who buy/read the papers are the ones who are lining the pockets of the craparatzzi. Usually it's the very same people complaining about 'leave the celebritites alone!' who are the ones buying the papers. 

If this show stopped the sale of ONE magazine, if it opened the eyes of ONE person who was obsessed with a skinny chick and inspired them to get help, then it wasn't a boring show. If it opened ONE set of eyes to the fact that you don't blame the photographers, you blame the readers, then it did its purpose. 

March 16, 2006, 12:42 am CST

Self diagnosis... Narcolepsy?

Quote From: wrebrashul

I am posting my support again for a show on Narcolepsy  I have had this disease since 1994, lost my job and a lot more because of it. I am sure many have stories similar to mine. It truly is a struggle Thanks for pushing for it
I Just wanted to drop a bit here , because I  have had problems sleeping since high school  but just always wrote it off as  being a "night person"   but now that  I am older  and  I read some of these stories that sound so similar to mine, I have to wonder.
 Thanx for the link to   http://www.talkaboutsleep.com   That site was so helpful for me to figure out where to go from here, and to try to understand my Sleeping\Brain problems.

March 16, 2006, 12:50 am CST

Jenni vs Mary-Kate

Quote From: jldkmd86

Hi, I am Jenni.  I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for the support.  Many people had harsh words to say about me and my situations, but I don't think you can really judge me after seeing a 15 minute clip.  For the record I would like to say that I do not have an eating disorder BECAUSE of Mary-Kate, but that my obession did fule it.  I don' t think that was made very clear.  Anyway, thanks to all who care.   

Jenni 

Dear Jenni 

I  watched the show and you knowledge of what anorexia is and bulimia are.  

1) Being a man and having had anorexia I can relate that and even the obsession with STARS we all wish we were Famous too. 

What Dr. Phil is so true your child of three comes first and I saw a very loving and attentive mother and a very  pretty mom too, very rare qualities in todays society.  

With yourself and family (child )and or husband significant other became a little girl (angel) and she needs you very much in my humble opinion I think you have more than any movie actress STAR could have because many STARS lack allot and have to give up allot to be who they are. 

They have no privacy,intamite moment's even sex is interrupted by photographers so they really have no life of their own and LOVE is just a word. 

Jenni any advice Dr. Phil gave you take to heart and work on it you have so much to give of yourself to your daughter and that can only come from within I am not judging you but you said " I look in the Mirror and I don't like me" Please don't destroy yourself like that I don't know all the facts but when I was going through my anorexia I was going through diviorce and stress can be the pits. Smile and good luck  

P.S. Your  smile is so pretty and shows inner beauty don"t waste it on TV STARS  

YOU HAVE LOTS TO OFFER AND THAT ALLOT MORE THAN BEING SOMONE ELSE   

March 16, 2006, 1:11 am CST

Great JOB

Quote From: jldkmd86

Hey everyone.  I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who supported me and posted such positive messages.   I'm working hard and trying to take Dr. Phil's advice to become the person that I know I can be. 

Jenni  

Many people do not understandand anorexia and really dont want to because their afaid of it because it can happen to anyone for no reason and at anytime in their life. I say this cause coming from man and gone through anorexia is not very masculine and not easy for guyz to talk about  this but I am a survivor and you will survive too its hard but most things in life that are worth something (your daughter) are worth the fight to get better 

I am glad to hear your recovering thats GRRRRRRRRRReat news   You will be O.K.  

Because you are a special person to everyone you meet !! and YOUR WORTH IT 

March 16, 2006, 9:05 am CST

Answer

Quote From: l_boening

You seem very bitter and angry.  Everyone has the right to an opinion.  The message boards are not here for personal attacks on other people just because you do not agree with them.  The message boards are for voicing opinions..not attacking others for voicing theirs. 

I agree with your thoughts we should not be judge mental cause there is no one person that has life totally 100% perfect. We all have are own garbage and to judge a person in a one time show is absurd especially not knowing the total facts. 

We all have our own baggage and need to access ourselves first before we speak about others I find it wrong and distasteful.  

Besides who are we to JUDGE- Michael 

March 16, 2006, 9:10 am CST

Jenni

Quote From: gaspipe

Jenni  

Many people do not understandand anorexia and really dont want to because their afaid of it because it can happen to anyone for no reason and at anytime in their life. I say this cause coming from man and gone through anorexia is not very masculine and not easy for guyz to talk about  this but I am a survivor and you will survive too its hard but most things in life that are worth something (your daughter) are worth the fight to get better 

I am glad to hear your recovering thats GRRRRRRRRRReat news   You will be O.K.  

Because you are a special person to everyone you meet !! and YOUR WORTH IT 

Drop me a line if you feel you would like to speak out. I am a great listener and anything to help you in your struggle with this illness I am willing to help. 

This messages is for anyone that would like to share information and views with. And I am not perfect and have my own issues but sometimes helping others also can benefit each other Michael 

First | Prev | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | Next | Last