Message Boards

Topic : 03/08 Stalking the Stars

Number of Replies: 242
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 14, 2005, 03:42:20 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 10/17/05) Do you catch yourself mesmerized by the photos in People or US Weekly magazines, looking to see who's wearing what, who's drunk and who's kissing whom? We can't get enough of celebrities, but when does our obsession go too far? Dr. Phil's first guests are two photographers who capture famous faces — but one is a paparazzo who chases down the stars, while the other is invited by celebs to take their pictures. Then, meet two women who can't stop obsessing over their favorite celebrity. Tabitha's infatuation with Tommy Lee is holding her back from meeting her "real" soul mate, and taking time and money away from her 3-year-old daughter. Could something biological be causing her obsession? And, Jenni wants to be the famous twin Mary-Kate Olsen so badly, it's ruining her life and could be killing her. Share your thoughts.

Find out what happened on the show.

More March 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 17, 2005, 12:31 pm CDT

Body image

I can honestly say that I've found myself thinking, "If only I could look as good as that girl."  who appeared on the magazine that seemed to stare me in the face as I was in the line to purchase my groceries at the grocery store.  And the only thing that had broken that thought process was the clerk at the register repeatedly saying, "ma'am....ma'am...your change."  I walked out of that store feeling kinda down and self conscious as to how my stomach rippled over my pants.  Did anyone notice just how overweight I was?  That was how I used to think and sometimes still do.  But I have come to realize that those pictures are SERIOUSLY airbrushed.  No women, even on her best hair day, could ever fit into those clothes so perfectly...her make-up so flawless, her skin so bright and radiant.  It's B.S.!!!!  I have since found a part of me that is just as vibrant as these women pretend to be.  Instead of living up to something I have found to be very unrealsitic I have discoverd myself and what that means.  I fear for these women ,who once thought like me, that their look and lifestyle could actually be just as these celebrity women.  Girls, women...love yourselves!  Love the body you have.  And if for some GOOD reason you want to make improvements...fine.  Just do it within the frame of mind that you're making these adjustments for your health.  Not because it's the ideal body to have.   

I also want to make a slight suggestion for those of you with daughters at any age.  WATCH WHAT YOU SAY ABOUT YOUR BODY IN FRONT OF YOUR DAUGHTERS!!!  I grew up with a mother who was always making comments about her body.  Since, we girls, take so much of our behaviors from our mother...I picked up on that and I hate it.  Always, of course, encourage exercise, healthy eating...etc..etc.  Just please...don't stand in front of your daughter and say that your fat.  Daughters do listen! 

October 17, 2005, 12:55 pm CDT

10/17 Stalking the Stars

Quote From: cherthom

I am just the opposite. I go out of my way to avoid watching stars on anything...including Dr. Phil. I just feel like they have enough attention. Besides, I just don't care who they marry, divorce, how much they destroy their lives...maybe I'm the weird one!
I don't go out of my way to avoid information, I just don't care and I don't seek it out.  I found the show boring and turned it off!!  I guess it didn't hit home with me like it did others?

October 17, 2005, 1:14 pm CDT

For Jenni

I just wanted to reasure Jenni that unless there is an underlying reason why she feels she should hate herself or that she is unattractive, I am here to tell her that there are thousands of men that would look at her and consider themselves lucky if she was a part of their life. I for one would choose a date with Jenni over Mary-Kate Olsen without hesitation. That includes the fact that one is a successful movie star and the other lives a normal unassuming life. Maybe Jenni needs a better support system, who knows...except Dr. Phil of course. Anyway, I wish Jenni luck and I hope she will wake-up one day and see the beautiful young woman in the mirror that she is!!

October 17, 2005, 1:23 pm CDT

These people are crazy

I think its crazy to obsess or follow around celebrities. People like this need to get a life of their own. Sure, I see actors that I think are attractive, and I enjoy looking at them, but these people take it to a new level, which is sometimes a dangerous one. These people are doing a job, just like me, except that their job is to entertain people. If they were not famous, if they were just working a regular 9-5 job no one would be running after them.

October 17, 2005, 1:39 pm CDT

Don't blame you!

Quote From: vanightowl

I wouldn't say that I'm obsessed or anything like that, but I do have a huge crush on Matthew McConaughey. I love knowing everything about him and where he's at and what he's up to. In fact, I have a group of friends on the web that feel the same way I do. We all think he is the best!! And the most good-looking human on earth. 

Most of us have never met him in person, but as much as we know about him, we feel we do know him. Dr. Phil, that doesn't make us obsessed, does it? 

VaNightOwl 

I believe too that some people can go alittle overboard with wanting to be celebrities. Crushes are normal feelings as long as your life is not consumed with them. I must admit that I find Orlando Bloom very good looking and it would be great to meet him someday. My friends pick on me, but they all have crushes too. Matthew, Pierce Bronsan, Brad Pitt, etc... We all have husbands and kids and laugh about it. But we know what reality is and know that we love our lives with the ones we married. It's just a crush and we have fun watching them on the big screen and getting giddy over their good looks. I think your normal! Besides, who could blame you!

October 17, 2005, 1:46 pm CDT

Not weird at all - the word is normal

Quote From: cherthom

I am just the opposite. I go out of my way to avoid watching stars on anything...including Dr. Phil. I just feel like they have enough attention. Besides, I just don't care who they marry, divorce, how much they destroy their lives...maybe I'm the weird one!
I admire your ability to see celebs for what they are!

October 17, 2005, 1:46 pm CDT

I'm exactly like jenni!

I binge and purge and I starve myself too. I have had a problem with food since I was 5! I have had an eating disorder for about 8 years and I am now 20. I also obses over mary-kate. I always have wanted to be her! I love how she looks and will do anything I have to to look just like her!

October 17, 2005, 1:48 pm CDT

Why in the world would you ?

People are people, some were put here to inform or entertain. I enjoy celebs and find most of them on the same scale with the "average Joe," but  they are comical when they take themselves too seriously.  

When a person's "idol worship" is put aside, there is so much more to life and they will find something of value in the "real people" around them and find life very interesting.  

We need the celebs, but to WORSHIP them the way people do.... I cringe! 

October 17, 2005, 1:58 pm CDT

Jenni looks great

I think Jenni is beautiful the way she is and maybe just needs someone in her life to reassure her of it.  And I would be willingto try.

October 17, 2005, 1:58 pm CDT

10/17 Stalking the Stars

I think Jenni is sooooo pretty!!!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next | Last