Message Boards

Topic : 03/08 Stalking the Stars

Number of Replies: 242
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 14, 2005, 03:42:20 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 10/17/05) Do you catch yourself mesmerized by the photos in People or US Weekly magazines, looking to see who's wearing what, who's drunk and who's kissing whom? We can't get enough of celebrities, but when does our obsession go too far? Dr. Phil's first guests are two photographers who capture famous faces — but one is a paparazzo who chases down the stars, while the other is invited by celebs to take their pictures. Then, meet two women who can't stop obsessing over their favorite celebrity. Tabitha's infatuation with Tommy Lee is holding her back from meeting her "real" soul mate, and taking time and money away from her 3-year-old daughter. Could something biological be causing her obsession? And, Jenni wants to be the famous twin Mary-Kate Olsen so badly, it's ruining her life and could be killing her. Share your thoughts.

Find out what happened on the show.

More March 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 17, 2005, 2:01 pm CDT

Get a life...

Holy cow, these people need to join the real world and get a real life..  Weird.  It is one thing to be inspired by the stars and media, but to become obsessed?  Celebrities are ordinary people who have glamorous jobs that brings them into the spotlight.  They suffer from the same insecurities, diseases, and problems that everyone else does.  To try and mimic an eating disorder, facial expressions, bad habits, etc., is just plain weird.  Mary-Kate's success is NOT a result from an unfortunate eating disorder...I think Jenni needs to get her own life and wake up.  I thought today's show was kinda stupid with weird, attention-seeking people who need psychiatric help.

October 17, 2005, 2:13 pm CDT

Tommy Lee... Not such a good choice

I watched Tabitha talk about her obsession with Tommy Lee and her hopes to meet him.  I have to say that he IS a bad boy and I think he needs to grow up before he hurts someone.  My 19 year old daughter and her friend went to a concert of his this summer and easily got past the bodyguards with their cute smiles.  They were led back through the dark parking lot and taken to a trailer.  They were told to go inside or leave immediately.  Not knowing what was inside they hesitantly went in.  There they found the band members, including Tommy Lee.  Tommy asked them to "make out", they were provided liquor (underage) and asked to come along to the next city where the band was playing.  Luckily both girls knew better than to go along with Tommy's requests and even said later... Tommy's old enough to be my dad!  I think there are much better celebrity's to want to hook up with Tabitha.  For YOUR daughter's sake, pick someone else. 

October 17, 2005, 2:15 pm CDT

What about your garden-variety obsessed sports fans?

I realize this program can only have so much in an hour, but we had two young women on who were obsessed with fans, but most men I know are completely obsessed with sports in general that if their team loses, they are completely depressed and feel worthless the next day.  I think overall, that is a much more prolific phenomenon, but no one ever acts like THEY have a problem.  Obviously there's a big segment of the population who need to identify with sports to give themselves an identity injection.  At least with musicians, there is some creative talent there to admire.  I think that's healthier than just admiring brute force, personally.  It doesn't seem like much to aspire to.  And I think there are FAR more children who get neglected by their sports-obsessed fathers than there are children who get neglected by their obsessed mothers.  FAR MORE. 

My advice to anyone who is unhealthily obsessed with ANYONE is to try to isolate the internal qualities you so admire in the person and just try to be more like them.  If the external is at the root of your obsession like it was with Mary Kate's fan, that's immediately NOT healthy, because placing THAT much emphasis on how one looks is unhealthy.  I'm sure that girl either had a weird upbringing or a trauma to have such low self-worth.  She was quite beautiful.  I just cringed on the final shot of her, which showed her trying to purse her lips like Mary Kate, which isn't an attractive maneuver to begin with and is just so embarrassingly sad to see emulated.   

October 17, 2005, 2:18 pm CDT

Get a life?

I think it's pretty screwed up to be taking this whole eating disorder thing so lightly.  Maybe she can't just "grow up" and stop doing what she's doing.  It takes a lot more than that to over come something like bulimia or anorexia.  Leave the poor girl alone.  At least she had the guts to go on national television and spill her guts to the world in hope of getting some kind of help. 

October 17, 2005, 2:21 pm CDT

another thing

another thing, I have 3 boys and a daughter, I hope to God that I can raise my children with enough self respect and confidence that they don't have to resort to social pressure to fit in to the crowd that only rely on their appearance for attention. I went to a small school, total of my graduating class was 19. yes, 19. i was a cheerleader for the football team, and boys basketball, i played basketball, softball and ran track, i was on the pom pom squad for the marching band i was on the A honor roll, Hi-Step and FCCLA. I hug out went to parties, got drunk and stupid, never did drugs a day in my life never felt the need to have sex with any and every guy never felt the need to not eat. I'm sorry I love food!!!!! I'm not fat either, after all these children I am 5'6" and weigh 150 lbs. I love my body. My husband tells me all the time that I was sheltered as a child. Good for me. I'm glad I was, those of you that weren't good for you. You should have had enough self respect and confidence to not have to have fell into what you did. I feel that I wasn't sheltered I saw all the drugs and the sex and the anorexia and bulimia that I could handle. It would kill me if my children are overtaken by the pressure that is on today's children. I think that maybe we as parents need to turn off the TV once in a while and spend time with our children. Maybe tell them that that TV show is not appropriate for them.

October 17, 2005, 2:25 pm CDT

People look at appearance, but God looks at the heart

Quote From: carla_nyc

Hi this is my first message on the Dr Phil website. I was watching the show on Friday and noticed a preview for a show about a girl who is so influenced by Mary-Kate Olsen that she purges with a picture of her. I am the exact same way- when I was watching the show I quickly identified with the level of glamour and sucess thats now associated with eating disorders. My eating problems started long before I began to take notice of all of the shrinking celebrities now in Tinseltown, I became bulimic at the age of 13, and have struggled off and on with both bulimia and anorexia since then ( I am now 18)- this past year I've really gotten out of control. I feel that my perfectionism ( I've obtained a 4.0 average and graduated from a top school in the top 2 percent of my class- and I am starting NYU in the Fall, I've taken a year off to travel.) has lead to such a tremendous amount of stress and exhaustion that I need to keep atleast one thing in control in my life- my body. I am about 5'5 and 100 pounds, but my goal weight is 85 pounds, because thats Nicole Richie's weight, and I think she looks great now. I paste pictures of her together in a scrapbook and whenever I want to eat, I look at them- and imagine myself being that perfect. I also pasted a picture of her on my bathroom wall and when I am purging I do look at it. I feel the same way about Mary-Kate and Lindsay Lohan, but Nicole RIchie is my favorite "thinspiration." I weigh myself about 5 times a day and make up little rules in my head about punishments for eating too much. I never go above 400 calories.....I'm hoping to get treatment soon though, since its been happening for years now. Although celebrities obviously didn't cause my problems, seeing them in magazines with gorgeous bones poking out certainly doesn't help.

Carla, 

Every now and then I look in my mirror and think, gee, I have to get rid of that gut. So I cut back on my intake the next couple of days and limit my sugar and eventually, I'm back to my fightin' weight. Then a few weeks later I do it all again. However, when I do this it's not to look like anyone else, it's because the gut's just not healthy. 

I know God loves me the way He made me and wants me to take care of the body he gave me, along with everything he gave me. He wants me to have a real relationship with Him, knowing He loves me despite my appearance. He told Samuel, "People look at appearance, but I look at the heart." 

It sounds like your heart is hurt. The enemy wants us to envy others and focus on ways we don't measure up to keep us from loving. Jesus said the two most important things are to love God and love each other. By focusing on how you don't measure up to Nicole, or anyone else, you're putting yourself on a throne and leaving God and others out. 

Give it back to the enemy by getting out there, looking for the good in others; doing things to serve tthem; and becoming a beatiful woman on the inside. Then see the great things that grow and blossom. 

October 17, 2005, 2:27 pm CDT

Uh...

Quote From: l_boening

Holy cow, these people need to join the real world and get a real life..  Weird.  It is one thing to be inspired by the stars and media, but to become obsessed?  Celebrities are ordinary people who have glamorous jobs that brings them into the spotlight.  They suffer from the same insecurities, diseases, and problems that everyone else does.  To try and mimic an eating disorder, facial expressions, bad habits, etc., is just plain weird.  Mary-Kate's success is NOT a result from an unfortunate eating disorder...I think Jenni needs to get her own life and wake up.  I thought today's show was kinda stupid with weird, attention-seeking people who need psychiatric help.
Did you not watch the show?  She isn't mimicing an eating disorder...she HAS one.  I know from experience that in order to purge 20 times a day you have to have a TRUE problem, not just a silly obsession with someon.  She has problems and needs help...not your petty critisism.  Lay off. 

October 17, 2005, 2:41 pm CDT

what's the point

I don't understand why people are so obsessed. Everything happenes for a reason but some people take things too far. We are who we are for a reason. We shouldn't be obsessed about other people. We should all just be ourself and live our own life not others. I realized that it is pointless to base your life on others. There is a difference between admiring someone and being obsessed. I admire people I wish I could do things that others do but I would never be obsessed. I would just do my best to achieve my goal. It is so much easier to do things when you have a goal and a reason why you are doing it. Just be yourself and live your own life.

October 17, 2005, 2:41 pm CDT

BE YOURSELF

Quote From: dreamer15

I don't understand why people are so obsessed. Everything happenes for a reason but some people take things too far. We are who we are for a reason. We shouldn't be obsessed about other people. We should all just be ourself and live our own life not others. I realized that it is pointless to base your life on others. There is a difference between admiring someone and being obsessed. I admire people I wish I could do things that others do but I would never be obsessed. I would just do my best to achieve my goal. It is so much easier to do things when you have a goal and a reason why you are doing it. Just be yourself and live your own life.
I COMPLETELY  agrre with you. You are absolutely right..what is the point?

October 17, 2005, 2:47 pm CDT

too small

Quote From: jldkmd86

Did you not watch the show?  She isn't mimicing an eating disorder...she HAS one.  I know from experience that in order to purge 20 times a day you have to have a TRUE problem, not just a silly obsession with someon.  She has problems and needs help...not your petty critisism.  Lay off. 
I feel bad for those people with eating disorders that don't completely get there on their own. If you do it for other people..CELEBRITIES, peers, family etc. I think it is very silly. With this girl she got there herself..she is OBSESSED! i think Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen are very good actresses..but I am nowhere obssed with her. And why couldn't his girl just be happy with herself and give her all to her family and those who love her. We were born a certain way..we shoud stay a certian way. And sorry to break it to you..but we are not born to be sick and wiegh 86 pounds.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last