Message Boards

Topic : 03/08 Stalking the Stars

Number of Replies: 242
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 14, 2005, 03:42:20 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 10/17/05) Do you catch yourself mesmerized by the photos in People or US Weekly magazines, looking to see who's wearing what, who's drunk and who's kissing whom? We can't get enough of celebrities, but when does our obsession go too far? Dr. Phil's first guests are two photographers who capture famous faces — but one is a paparazzo who chases down the stars, while the other is invited by celebs to take their pictures. Then, meet two women who can't stop obsessing over their favorite celebrity. Tabitha's infatuation with Tommy Lee is holding her back from meeting her "real" soul mate, and taking time and money away from her 3-year-old daughter. Could something biological be causing her obsession? And, Jenni wants to be the famous twin Mary-Kate Olsen so badly, it's ruining her life and could be killing her. Share your thoughts.

Find out what happened on the show.

More March 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 17, 2005, 2:47 pm CDT

10/17 Stalking the Stars

Quote From: jldkmd86

Did you not watch the show?  She isn't mimicing an eating disorder...she HAS one.  I know from experience that in order to purge 20 times a day you have to have a TRUE problem, not just a silly obsession with someon.  She has problems and needs help...not your petty critisism.  Lay off. 

October 17, 2005, 3:09 pm CDT

mom to mom

I just wanted to say to the Mary Kate wannabe mom, that I understand not liking your self, and  having kids.  It is very destructive, and the best thing you can do for your daughter is to believe your worth.  You may not be perfect, but you are her world.  I have 3 girls (and 1 boy), and have struggled with my wieght (overwieght after 2nd child to present, and thought I was fat before then) all of my life from a mental perspective.  But I do not want my kids to think they are worthwhile only because they are cute and thin.  And I know those twins are very pretty girls, but I think that you are very pretty yourself, in fact, I think you are even more beautiful, because you are a mom, and you are doing something selfless by being a mom, and you have a light within you that these girls have lost through their celebrityism (real word?).  You are on the right track, and you can do it!  Just one step at a time.  Take care. 

October 17, 2005, 3:14 pm CDT

From my experience.

Quote From: carla_nyc

Hi this is my first message on the Dr Phil website. I was watching the show on Friday and noticed a preview for a show about a girl who is so influenced by Mary-Kate Olsen that she purges with a picture of her. I am the exact same way- when I was watching the show I quickly identified with the level of glamour and sucess thats now associated with eating disorders. My eating problems started long before I began to take notice of all of the shrinking celebrities now in Tinseltown, I became bulimic at the age of 13, and have struggled off and on with both bulimia and anorexia since then ( I am now 18)- this past year I've really gotten out of control. I feel that my perfectionism ( I've obtained a 4.0 average and graduated from a top school in the top 2 percent of my class- and I am starting NYU in the Fall, I've taken a year off to travel.) has lead to such a tremendous amount of stress and exhaustion that I need to keep atleast one thing in control in my life- my body. I am about 5'5 and 100 pounds, but my goal weight is 85 pounds, because thats Nicole Richie's weight, and I think she looks great now. I paste pictures of her together in a scrapbook and whenever I want to eat, I look at them- and imagine myself being that perfect. I also pasted a picture of her on my bathroom wall and when I am purging I do look at it. I feel the same way about Mary-Kate and Lindsay Lohan, but Nicole RIchie is my favorite "thinspiration." I weigh myself about 5 times a day and make up little rules in my head about punishments for eating too much. I never go above 400 calories.....I'm hoping to get treatment soon though, since its been happening for years now. Although celebrities obviously didn't cause my problems, seeing them in magazines with gorgeous bones poking out certainly doesn't help.

I am 20 years old and went to a private all girl school in middle and high school. Many of these girls were very high achievers. Many of these girls were very isolated and coddled from the world. Many of them had "eating disorders". 

I find it interesting how eating disorders are something that have only really been in existence for the past 30 years.Most of these girls are like you and don't really have any "real world" experience. I also find it interesting how statistically speaking it tends to effect middle, upper-middle, and upper class caucasian girls from the suburbs in North America and Western Europe. Almost no one in Eastern Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America has these so called "disorders."  

You sound like you are almost proud of your eating disorder. You brag about your scrapbook and you refer to celebrities. I personally find it disappointing that all of the years and struggle that went to women's liberation has ended up with well off girls obsessing about their bodies. Just think about your true motivations for doing these things and not the usual cliches of "I want to be perfect."Do you think some rural peasant Chinesse farmer woman is going to be counting calories? Or even a migrant farmer girl here in this country? Do you think that guys, or anyone else for that matter, wants you to be or cares if you are 85 pounds? Or are you doing this for attention and to give you something to talk about on the so called "pro ana" sites out there with your girlfriends? 

I don't mean to necessarily sound harsh or cold, I just feel like maybe had the girls who have these disorders would have been treated more harshly by their parents and society, making themselves puke or starving themselves would be the last thing on their mind. 

October 17, 2005, 3:22 pm CDT

10/17 Stalking the Stars

You know what really bothers me. Those who fuel the public's obsession with celebrities. And, it isn't just Entertainment Tonight. Or, People and all those other celebrity magazines. It's Oprah, too. For years now, most of her shows have featured celebrities. Often making repeat appearances.  

October 17, 2005, 3:23 pm CDT

Mental Distortion

Quote From: gregfla

I just wanted to reasure Jenni that unless there is an underlying reason why she feels she should hate herself or that she is unattractive, I am here to tell her that there are thousands of men that would look at her and consider themselves lucky if she was a part of their life. I for one would choose a date with Jenni over Mary-Kate Olsen without hesitation. That includes the fact that one is a successful movie star and the other lives a normal unassuming life. Maybe Jenni needs a better support system, who knows...except Dr. Phil of course. Anyway, I wish Jenni luck and I hope she will wake-up one day and see the beautiful young woman in the mirror that she is!!
     The sad fact of the matter is that she doesn't and hasn't seen herself in an attractive light for so long.  I don't think that there is a person outside of herself that could convince her of that!  She is, in fact, a beautiful girl but what good does it do for all of us to see it  if she doesn't even see a 1/8 of her own beauty?  That's when we just pray for her & her own self discovery.  These eating disorders are so sneaky and fatal.  I thank my lucky stars that I've never welcomed them and their deceitfulness into my life.  God bless all of you suffering from this mental distortion!!!!

October 17, 2005, 3:24 pm CDT

Thank you!!!!!!!!!

Quote From: mikeinnac

Carla, 

Every now and then I look in my mirror and think, gee, I have to get rid of that gut. So I cut back on my intake the next couple of days and limit my sugar and eventually, I'm back to my fightin' weight. Then a few weeks later I do it all again. However, when I do this it's not to look like anyone else, it's because the gut's just not healthy. 

I know God loves me the way He made me and wants me to take care of the body he gave me, along with everything he gave me. He wants me to have a real relationship with Him, knowing He loves me despite my appearance. He told Samuel, "People look at appearance, but I look at the heart." 

It sounds like your heart is hurt. The enemy wants us to envy others and focus on ways we don't measure up to keep us from loving. Jesus said the two most important things are to love God and love each other. By focusing on how you don't measure up to Nicole, or anyone else, you're putting yourself on a throne and leaving God and others out. 

Give it back to the enemy by getting out there, looking for the good in others; doing things to serve tthem; and becoming a beatiful woman on the inside. Then see the great things that grow and blossom. 

Thank you for your message!!!!   You are soooo right!  I believe that once we take care of ourselves inside that we take care of our outside.  And through God we can achieve the GREATEST OF THINGS!!!!!  Thanks for your refreshing words!  Finally someone put things into their right place.  It's all about God and what he has given to us!  Your words are encouraging and a breath of fresh air!!!!

October 17, 2005, 3:32 pm CDT

don't understand the obsessions

I have never understand the obsessions.  Many paparazzi is out of control and there are many fans out of control.  I enjoy certain actors and actresses and music and will see their movies or music, but I have never gone to the lengths people go to.  Maybe because I am so cynical.  I know that most of what you see is publicity either by the star or the press.  If more people would see that, the stalkerazzi would be out of existence.

October 17, 2005, 3:33 pm CDT

TO DR. PHIL REGARDING NARCOLEPSY

I really wish that you would have a show about narcolepsy. The woman on the show was a very poor representation of the disease. And your advice seemed like it was addressing her condition but as you may or may not know narcolepsy is much more complicated than replacing a negative adventure seeking behavior with something to stimulate the brain a little bit.  

I realize that the show was about abberant behaviors which is why the issue of narcolepsy was not addressed as well as it could be. There is an entire community of fantastic people living and coping with this disease who would love to help you shine light on the subject and educate your viewers. I believe that it would be an awesome show and your viewers would love the personalites of those with narcolepsy. Truly an amazing (although small) group of people! 

October 17, 2005, 3:35 pm CDT

Oh please...

Quote From: jldkmd86

Did you not watch the show?  She isn't mimicing an eating disorder...she HAS one.  I know from experience that in order to purge 20 times a day you have to have a TRUE problem, not just a silly obsession with someon.  She has problems and needs help...not your petty critisism.  Lay off. 
 Yes, I watched the show..  The only thing I saw was an attention seeker that needs to get a life..  Believe me, I have had my fair share in dealing with disorderd eating/body image... I certainly do know what it is like to decide to NOT eat rather than figure out how to "get rid" of it later..  I also know that there is more to life than trying to be something you are not..  Like I said, Jenni needs to get a life, and stop trying to be someone she is not.

October 17, 2005, 3:40 pm CDT

NO NOT ONE

I think a lot of people are sick wanting to be like their favorite stars.  There is not one of them that I would want to be like.  I did see a show one night about the celebs being caught with no make-up and normal clothes.  They look the same as everyone else.  We are giving these people way to much attention that they do not deserve.

First | Prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last