Message Boards

Topic : 03/08 Stalking the Stars

Number of Replies: 242
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 14, 2005, 03:42:20 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 10/17/05) Do you catch yourself mesmerized by the photos in People or US Weekly magazines, looking to see who's wearing what, who's drunk and who's kissing whom? We can't get enough of celebrities, but when does our obsession go too far? Dr. Phil's first guests are two photographers who capture famous faces — but one is a paparazzo who chases down the stars, while the other is invited by celebs to take their pictures. Then, meet two women who can't stop obsessing over their favorite celebrity. Tabitha's infatuation with Tommy Lee is holding her back from meeting her "real" soul mate, and taking time and money away from her 3-year-old daughter. Could something biological be causing her obsession? And, Jenni wants to be the famous twin Mary-Kate Olsen so badly, it's ruining her life and could be killing her. Share your thoughts.

Find out what happened on the show.

More March 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 17, 2005, 3:42 pm CDT

10/17 Stalking the Stars

I watched today's show, and I feel sorry for people that want to be just like the celebrities. I think that they don't feel that their life is important, or as significant,(special) as the celebrities. I don't read the tablod's, but I do think that the paparazzi needs to get a life, and stop taking pictures to tell the wrong story, like what happened to Dr. Phil. Sure I love the Celcbrities, but I don't want to be them.

October 17, 2005, 3:45 pm CDT

Oh please?

Quote From: l_boening

Yes, I watched the show..  The only thing I saw was an attention seeker that needs to get a life..  Believe me, I have had my fair share in dealing with disorderd eating/body image... I certainly do know what it is like to decide to NOT eat rather than figure out how to "get rid" of it later..  I also know that there is more to life than trying to be something you are not..  Like I said, Jenni needs to get a life, and stop trying to be someone she is not.

I just don't think anyone should have any harsh words about anyone on the shows.  You don't know them, all you know is what you see of them on the television.  As for getting a life...she already has one, and yes it's not of high quality but why else would she be on Dr. Phil except for the fact that she's trying to get help.  I'm pretty sure you're not qualified to be giving advice anyway, and if you are then I feel really sorry for your clients (run).  Ha! 

October 17, 2005, 3:48 pm CDT

My Confession

Dr. Phil, 

I watched your show today about being celebrity obsessed and really enjoyed it. I have a confession. I'm what I call a Phil head. I have to get my daily dose of your show .Please also tell Jordan I wish him good luck at SMU and tell Jay congradualations on his engagement. Stay safe. 

Turkeybaby 

October 17, 2005, 4:07 pm CDT

Bitter?

Quote From: jldkmd86

I just don't think anyone should have any harsh words about anyone on the shows.  You don't know them, all you know is what you see of them on the television.  As for getting a life...she already has one, and yes it's not of high quality but why else would she be on Dr. Phil except for the fact that she's trying to get help.  I'm pretty sure you're not qualified to be giving advice anyway, and if you are then I feel really sorry for your clients (run).  Ha! 

You seem very bitter and angry.  Everyone has the right to an opinion.  The message boards are not here for personal attacks on other people just because you do not agree with them.  The message boards are for voicing opinions..not attacking others for voicing theirs. 

October 17, 2005, 5:19 pm CDT

Get a life !!!!!

To me, those who are obsessed with celebs. need to return to reality. Celebs. have a life most people envy, but we need to remember they are human beings too, the only difference is, our society has made them bigger than they truly are because of a talent they possess. If you wouldn't be infatuated with the guy or gal next door, then why be infatuated with some celeb. you think you like because of his so called status in life.

October 17, 2005, 5:36 pm CDT

Give me a break!!

For these women to be on this show is probably in their minds a way to draw that celeb into their lives for real.  

The girl wanting to be Mary Kate, ..could very well be thinkimg in her mind that she will see her on the show and feel bad for her and want to contact this girl to help her.... 

Sorry I didnt buy the whole I want help bid...tell it to someone else.  

October 17, 2005, 5:41 pm CDT

It is a societal pathology

The nature with thoose of the public obsessing about famous Stars, I believe is a somewhat serious pathology that the media in many ways encourages. 

Few people like the first lady on the show are as extreme with their actions to due with their obsession, however I believe within many women especially (I'm not say 'most' women) their are subtle underlying obsessions to do with these stars. 

Not to be gender biased, I just have not seen the same in extent to do with men in general. I could be wrong about men, or blind to mens obsession for the fact that I am a man. 

However, I have noticed for example, in regards to the number of women I have had for girlfriends, would give what I would deduce to be indicative replies to obsessions. For example, many commented that they would marry their favorite movie star if they had the chance. Then when I questioned them on their assertion, I would hear (very often actually) ," don't worry ,ill never have the 'chance' to meet him" rather then "don't worry ,I love you ,I don't love them". 

I do not know if such a statment is meant to be comical, but in subtle context ,I believe its rooted even sub-consciously to an obsession. 

It is admitedly a very interesting comment because more then often it is repeated word for word. 

What makes me ponder is 'why' such obsessions exist, and the possible consequences of the media spinning movie star images. 

I think the consequencies can be serious, in terms that a women, for example could overlook thoose qualities that are truly worth pursueing like a single father who sacrifices his life for the better of his child in liue of pursuing a movie star who has been made to look good. 

Another interesting thing, I have noticed about many women is that they will many times associate 'good looking' with a famous celebrity almost as to pass off the fact that statisticaly within their area there must be also good looking normal men. 

The celebrity world is a very superficial world ,sprinkled with fairy dust ,but within the real world exists millions upon millions of normal people with absolutely awesome inner qualities, however they don't get the recognition they should. 

( I am not saying celebrities as the people they really are, are superficial!) 

Honestly, I really do not know ,'whats up with people obsessed with some celebrity', because I've allways seen all people on the same level, so ,maybe I shouldn't comment because I don't understand it. 

Congrat to thoose women getting help for their obsession.  

October 17, 2005, 5:46 pm CDT

10/17 Stalking the Stars

Quote From: marjekas

i am obsessed with jessica simpson. ok, maybe obsessed is a strong word. but i like her a lot. she is pretty and sucsessful. she is not perfect by all means and that makes her a lot more likeable. i wish i could be so carefree and pretty and have a fun career like she does. i wish i could have so much willpower so that i could exercise more and have a body like she. but i dont and i keep putting the weight on. i am embarrassed, i am 26 and i try to be like jessica. she is adorable
I am a very big fan of Jessica Simpson, its easy to say "I wish I could be like her", and I think its fine that you want to, but you should be like her for reasons other than because of her body. Its a matter of accepting yourself for who you are, not who you are not. She has worked very hard to get where she is at now, why not be like her in those ways. You dont have to be Jessica Simpson to be carefree or have a good career, you just need to find it in yourself to strive for the things and ambitions you want. Also, its not about getting your body to look like hers, its the notion that you feel good about yourself, or as J.S. would put it, "too feel beautiful in YOUR skin". The better you feel about yourself the more beautiful you are, no matter what your weight.

October 17, 2005, 5:49 pm CDT

Dr Phil Show.

Doctor Phil. I think Salking Star is no good at all. I think women are nuts and not so cut at all. See you tomorrow. Sincerly Your. Russell

October 17, 2005, 5:53 pm CDT

WHY?????????????

Why is this such an issue? Is there nothing else that could serve as a better topic. My god  the reality is that you nor i will probably ever become some famous beautiful movie star or rock star and ya know what.... i am perfectly fine with that. I do not need millions of dollars or people following my every move or a top ten hit to be fulfilled. i have a beautiful baby boy a fiance who would do anything in his power for me and great friends who are always there for me when i need them. People need to accept there lives for what they are and quit setting unrealistic goals for themselves which means that you probably will not be the next Mary Kate, you will probably not ever make a million dollars,. I am sorry but the harsh truth which none ever wants to say is that if you are basing your whole life on whether or not you can achieve completely unrealistic goals THEN YOU WILL BE A VERY SAD AND PATHETIC PERSON TO EVERYONE AROUND YOU. 

First | Prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last