Message Boards

Topic : 03/08 Stalking the Stars

Number of Replies: 242
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 14, 2005, 03:42:20 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 10/17/05) Do you catch yourself mesmerized by the photos in People or US Weekly magazines, looking to see who's wearing what, who's drunk and who's kissing whom? We can't get enough of celebrities, but when does our obsession go too far? Dr. Phil's first guests are two photographers who capture famous faces — but one is a paparazzo who chases down the stars, while the other is invited by celebs to take their pictures. Then, meet two women who can't stop obsessing over their favorite celebrity. Tabitha's infatuation with Tommy Lee is holding her back from meeting her "real" soul mate, and taking time and money away from her 3-year-old daughter. Could something biological be causing her obsession? And, Jenni wants to be the famous twin Mary-Kate Olsen so badly, it's ruining her life and could be killing her. Share your thoughts.

Find out what happened on the show.

More March 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 17, 2006, 4:19 pm CST

03/08 Stalking the Stars

Quote From: lamar2006

I can relate to the woman who was obsessed w/Tommy Lee.  I was getting that way about Keith Urban, reading his webpage, finding out all about him, when he was on TV, where he was playing, etc.  I felt I was going too far, so I stopped reading celebrity magazines (although I still look at the covers), watching entertainment TV shows, I even got rid of his CDs.  But I have to admit, I'm genuinely feeling sad that he is, or already has, gotten married.  I know it's ridiculous & I feel like a fool, but there we are.  It took me this long to work up the nerve to post it for the whole world to see, but now it's out there, I kind of do feel better.  If anyone is still reading these & has any other advice, let me know.  But please don't tell me just to 'get a life'.  I already know that & besides, it really doesn't help.
I don't know... I consider myself to be a healthy, sane woman and I have an incurable infatuation with Richie Sambora (Bon Jovi guitarist) I met him though...so I have some tiny memory that feeds my addiction. It's not something I display-no posters or the like. It's just my little secret-well not now!! Never do I allow myself to get to the point of thinking I could have him but I sure want to!! Especially now. I guess in my mind, I figure as long I'm gorgeous and have my own thing happening and since I live in CA, that I could bump into him someday???

March 17, 2006, 4:29 pm CST

I can relate

Quote From: lamar2006

I can relate to the woman who was obsessed w/Tommy Lee.  I was getting that way about Keith Urban, reading his webpage, finding out all about him, when he was on TV, where he was playing, etc.  I felt I was going too far, so I stopped reading celebrity magazines (although I still look at the covers), watching entertainment TV shows, I even got rid of his CDs.  But I have to admit, I'm genuinely feeling sad that he is, or already has, gotten married.  I know it's ridiculous & I feel like a fool, but there we are.  It took me this long to work up the nerve to post it for the whole world to see, but now it's out there, I kind of do feel better.  If anyone is still reading these & has any other advice, let me know.  But please don't tell me just to 'get a life'.  I already know that & besides, it really doesn't help.
Well I must really be crazy! I seem to be a healthy, sane person but have an incurable infatuation with Richie Sambora (another rock star) but I met him so maybe that's to blame. I don't go to extremes or display it-it's just my own little secret crush and of course I'm not happy he's getting divorced. Never have I allowed myself to imagine I could have him-not with reality telling me otherwise. But I do live in CA..Happen to be good-looking and have my own thing going on, so maybe it wouldn't be that far out to believe I'd run into him someday? Believe me, I'm too busy to follow him or anything like that. It would have to be another random chance or fate on my side like last time. Anyhow, I think everyone has those kind of feelings for someone at some point-but it's at different degrees. If it's not consuming your life or hurting anyone, it's just escapism at its best. Now Dr. Phil, do I need my head checked? I have no other vices..Just Richie Sambora. (LOL)

March 22, 2006, 11:22 pm CST

Getting a life.

Obsession with  famous people is just a sad  display of the fact that you have no life, or self-respect,  and are attempthing to fill it with something.

Actually it's discusting, since these people often portray the insideous effects of compulsion without consequence. Yet people still simper with admiration for them.

Fame does not equal: amazing human being. Most of the time fame does not even equal actual real-world accomplishment.

Why is it so hard to forget that famous people are NOTHING but entertainment?

Perhaps if people honoured and praised those who ACTUALLY WORKED for thier money and fame, and became part of the public eye for thier abilities in actual life...............

........Oh who am I kidding, the masses are just too easily plied and blinded by anything they are told should be worshipped, revered, and placed on pillars.

God forbid the individual would create a life philosophy , and basis for self respect out side of the pressures of other falible human beings.

March 24, 2006, 11:14 am CST

Sort of off topic but....

In this episode Dr Phil talks to a women who is narcoleptic (sp) and uses the idea of a needle measurement in her head, and she is obsessing over Tommy Lee and other bad boys to get that needle to twitch even a little.

I was wondering, do you think it's possible for this to be the other way around? I am a very high strung person and the only time I find peace is when I watch TV. I can zone out. I have problems sleeping cause the second the TV is turned off I start to have stressful thought that mount higher and higher until I am angry or crying or  having what feels like a mild anxiety attack. I think about problems with my parents, money, worry about my child, my mind never turns off. It's like my "needle" flies back and forth until I turn on the TV and I just stop thinking.

Any thoughts on this?

March 24, 2006, 1:14 pm CST

I've wondered the same thing!

Quote From: evenine

Obsession with  famous people is just a sad  display of the fact that you have no life, or self-respect,  and are attempthing to fill it with something.

Actually it's discusting, since these people often portray the insideous effects of compulsion without consequence. Yet people still simper with admiration for them.

Fame does not equal: amazing human being. Most of the time fame does not even equal actual real-world accomplishment.

Why is it so hard to forget that famous people are NOTHING but entertainment?

Perhaps if people honoured and praised those who ACTUALLY WORKED for thier money and fame, and became part of the public eye for thier abilities in actual life...............

........Oh who am I kidding, the masses are just too easily plied and blinded by anything they are told should be worshipped, revered, and placed on pillars.

God forbid the individual would create a life philosophy , and basis for self respect out side of the pressures of other falible human beings.

Can't understand the obsessions with Hollywood either, especially with adults.  I can see pre-teens and young teens having crushes on stars.  At that stage of development usually a person's looks is THE most important thing with character a distant second.  So we can see why kids at that age may fall into the Hollywood hero worship trap.  But adults?? It's laughable to see the obsession with Jennifer Aniston's divorce from Brad Pitt and is he or is he not going to marry Angelina, who will J Lo marry this week, and whether or not Britney is pregnant.  I would not be surprised if alot of those marriages and divorces are manufactured to happen to put these people in the spotlight, especially after a doomed movie flops, or a TV series ends. Not to mention just how selfish and shallow these people are.  I will never forget Jennifer whining and suing her jeweler for some ridiculous amount of money because he didn't break her wedding ring mold.  What a tough break for the poor spoiled brat!!  Come to think of it, any time she is interviewed on TV she is whining and complaining, and I change the channel. And yet people adore the likes of such a shallow individual. 

Most of the Hollywood cuties are just popular for their suggestiveness and quite a few of them look the same to me.  Bleached blonde hair, eyes lined with plenty of black liner to hide where the false lashes are attached-Jessica looks just like Britney and so does Lindsey Lohan with her bleached blonde look. 

I see nothing in these phony, egotistical beings worth putting them up on a pedastel for. 

March 28, 2006, 3:24 pm CST

Re: Stalking The Stars

I could kick myself for missing this episode, b/c I can very much relate to it. Back in Novemeber, I started my own forum and I made a friend has the same problem I do concerning celeb obsession. I have to say that she's a godsend b/c we've been talking every other day for 2 months now and we still haven't ran out of things to say to one another. It's nice to run into someone who believes like you do in this area.  

To be honest, I have a certain person that I've had my eye on for a while now. He's not famous, but he's a well-know record producer, and I think he's the sexiest man alive. I'm only 20, but I've always had a thing for much older men, b/c they're more likely to have it together than guys my age do. Of course, I wouldn't go on the Dr. Phil show to tell about it, b/c Dr. Phil knows the guy somewhat personally. He's 56 years old, [and divorced from his 3rd wife of 14 years] but doesn't really look like it. He's aged gracefully, meaning he hasn't had any plastic surgery of any kind [not that I know of] and just exercises and eats properly to maintain his youth.  

But most of all, he's an inspiration to me. He the epitome of where hard work, preserverance, persistence, and passion for your work can land you. To be honest, I've put my love life on hold in hopes of scoring this guy. For a long time now, I've been thinking about sending a demo tape to him in hopes of getting a record deal, b/c I know for a fact that he'll love it.  

Elicia 

April 7, 2006, 7:58 am CDT

For Jenni

I've never posted a message like this before! But after seeing the show (which just aired in the UK) I felt I just had to write something. I was watching Jenni and felt so sad for her. Jenni, I hope you see this.  

You are such a beautiful woman! So much prettier that Mary-Kate and seemingly sweeter!  I hope you can find your self-esteem and realize you are worth so much, especially to your daughter. Learn to love yourself inside and out. You seem like such a good person...  

May 19, 2006, 8:09 am CDT

Brad Pitt

Well this is going to sound bad but I am more than obsessed with Brad Pitt. I think I may be worse than that girl that love'd him to death. I mean Dr.Phil I have pictures all over my walls of him I have most of his movies and I watch Mr & Mrs Smith pretty much every night. When I got my first tattoo people thought I was going to get a picture of Brad on my body, which I was thinking of but if do get one concerning him it might just be his name. If I could just see him once and maybe be with him for a day I'm almost positive I won't be as obsessed with his as I am now. Dr. Phil if you could get him to spend a day with me I'd love you more than ever... I'm just wondering how I can stop liking him so much because when I do have a boyfriend it might ruin our relationship.....

May 31, 2006, 12:26 am CDT

03/08 Stalking the Stars

Quote From: learie

The nature with thoose of the public obsessing about famous Stars, I believe is a somewhat serious pathology that the media in many ways encourages. 

Few people like the first lady on the show are as extreme with their actions to due with their obsession, however I believe within many women especially (I'm not say 'most' women) their are subtle underlying obsessions to do with these stars. 

Not to be gender biased, I just have not seen the same in extent to do with men in general. I could be wrong about men, or blind to mens obsession for the fact that I am a man. 

However, I have noticed for example, in regards to the number of women I have had for girlfriends, would give what I would deduce to be indicative replies to obsessions. For example, many commented that they would marry their favorite movie star if they had the chance. Then when I questioned them on their assertion, I would hear (very often actually) ," don't worry ,ill never have the 'chance' to meet him" rather then "don't worry ,I love you ,I don't love them". 

I do not know if such a statment is meant to be comical, but in subtle context ,I believe its rooted even sub-consciously to an obsession. 

It is admitedly a very interesting comment because more then often it is repeated word for word. 

What makes me ponder is 'why' such obsessions exist, and the possible consequences of the media spinning movie star images. 

I think the consequencies can be serious, in terms that a women, for example could overlook thoose qualities that are truly worth pursueing like a single father who sacrifices his life for the better of his child in liue of pursuing a movie star who has been made to look good. 

Another interesting thing, I have noticed about many women is that they will many times associate 'good looking' with a famous celebrity almost as to pass off the fact that statisticaly within their area there must be also good looking normal men. 

The celebrity world is a very superficial world ,sprinkled with fairy dust ,but within the real world exists millions upon millions of normal people with absolutely awesome inner qualities, however they don't get the recognition they should. 

( I am not saying celebrities as the people they really are, are superficial!) 

Honestly, I really do not know ,'whats up with people obsessed with some celebrity', because I've allways seen all people on the same level, so ,maybe I shouldn't comment because I don't understand it. 

Congrat to thoose women getting help for their obsession.  

February 2, 2007, 7:54 pm CST

03/08 Stalking the Stars

Quote From: fthayer

Hi. I am a huge Evanesence fan. I think that they are an awesome band with plenty of wicked original tunes. Amy Lee is simply awesome. The raven-haired beauty has real industrial-strength vocal chords. However, your approach has me worried. She does not deserve to have her life obsessed by someone else they way you do. Keep listening to the tunes but try to do something more to define your life apart from copying Amy's actual life. Who knows? You may actually identify a talent of your own that'll make you function more normally than what you're currently doing.  FTP
Wow this is actually a really old post and I have actually gotten better with how much I obsess and now it's mainly the band, not really Amy anymore XD I have my own style now, you know? I think it was a phase but I think it's mainly the band for me now, they're still my NUMBER ONE

First | Prev | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | Next | Last