Message Boards

Topic : 03/08 Stalking the Stars

Number of Replies: 242
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 14, 2005, 03:42:20 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 10/17/05) Do you catch yourself mesmerized by the photos in People or US Weekly magazines, looking to see who's wearing what, who's drunk and who's kissing whom? We can't get enough of celebrities, but when does our obsession go too far? Dr. Phil's first guests are two photographers who capture famous faces — but one is a paparazzo who chases down the stars, while the other is invited by celebs to take their pictures. Then, meet two women who can't stop obsessing over their favorite celebrity. Tabitha's infatuation with Tommy Lee is holding her back from meeting her "real" soul mate, and taking time and money away from her 3-year-old daughter. Could something biological be causing her obsession? And, Jenni wants to be the famous twin Mary-Kate Olsen so badly, it's ruining her life and could be killing her. Share your thoughts.

Find out what happened on the show.

More March 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 16, 2005, 8:16 am CDT

Something wrong with America

Why is America so caught up in celebrities? What does it say about our country when we look up to people who fit the stereotypical image of "beautiful" instead of firefighters, who risk their lives to save the lives of others, instead of doctors who save lives, or policemen who put their lives on the line for our safety?  Most celebrities ARE NOTthat good looking in all reality.  Haven't you ever seen pictures of some of them without all of their make-up on??  I look better than some of those women when they aren't all dolled up, and I'm your average (albeit overweight) Joe-Anne!!!!  Some of these celebrities have real issues with their self-image.  They may seem happy but many of them are miserable underneath that mask!!  You have anorexic and bulimic stars - all to fit this stereotypical image of what "beauty" should look like!! MARILYN MONROE WAS A SIZE 8!!!!!!!!!  Wasn't she beautiful?  A size 8 woman would never be able to be a star in today's time!  Jennifer Lopez was jealous when she saw Ben looking at an "ordinary" girl!!  The grass is always greener on the other side.  Even celebrities think they aren't attractive!!

October 16, 2005, 8:19 am CDT

10/17 Stalking the Stars

Quote From: marjekas

i am obsessed with jessica simpson. ok, maybe obsessed is a strong word. but i like her a lot. she is pretty and sucsessful. she is not perfect by all means and that makes her a lot more likeable. i wish i could be so carefree and pretty and have a fun career like she does. i wish i could have so much willpower so that i could exercise more and have a body like she. but i dont and i keep putting the weight on. i am embarrassed, i am 26 and i try to be like jessica. she is adorable
 Not to bash Jessica Simpson because I'm sure she's a nice person, however, hasn't any of these stars heard of a little word called modesty??  Sure, she's cute, but I highly doubt people (men especially) are looking at Jessica Simpson and most other celebrities and thinking, "Man, she seems so fun and carefree".  Give me a break.  They're saying to themselves, "Man she's got a hot body!" Personally I think it's sad that women feel they have to use "sex appeal" to be popular.  I would much rather have someone like me for me, not my body.  But hey, I guess sex sells, right?

October 16, 2005, 10:15 am CDT

I'm sooo sorry...

i am obsessed with jessica simpson. ok, maybe obsessed is a strong word. but i like her a lot. she is pretty and sucsessful. she is not perfect by all means and that makes her a lot more likeable. i wish i could be so carefree and pretty and have a fun career like she does. i wish i could have so much willpower so that i could exercise more and have a body like she. but i dont and i keep putting the weight on. i am embarrassed, i am 26 and i try to be like jessica. she is adorable

Call me a bit judgemental but are you SERIOUS???  To quote you... 

"i wish i could be so carefree and pretty and have a fun career like she does. i wish i could have so much willpower ......" 

Have you read the latest on Jessica???  She is hardly carefree my friend.  All she ever does is cry because of her rollercoaster ride of a marriage or because someone else wants to beat her up.  Her career may be fun but have you seen the stress it puts on her & her relationship???  How can you envy that???  Willpower???  OMG what willpower???  She wanted to pay someone to decorate her house!!! 

I'm 27 & believe me I feel for you girl.  But you can't be Jessica Simpson nor will she ever come along & hold your hand & support you on your travels.  It's people like me (& other common folk) that can offer you an ear, advice...  Whatever you need.  I said it before & I'll say it again... 

THIS WORLD DOESN'T NEED ANYMORE JESSICA SIMPSON'S!!!!!!! 

October 16, 2005, 12:11 pm CDT

Celebs and Stalkers

I honestly can't believe stalkers do that to celebrities.  Moreover, if and when I become famous (for it is inevitvatble that if i do, there will be more stalkers) I will probably end up throwing a Prada shoe at a stalker and going to jail for it. I just hope I can concuss him into being a normal person again. 

Now, about the obsessions. I'm obsessed with ME and only ME.  I'm gone through phases where I want to be MK Olsen or Fergie from BEP, but it never lasts. I would love to weigh 8 pounds less, but I'm not going to waste my money on cosmetic surgery so I can be chased down by a guy with a Kodak. 

Fame is a fickle friend.   

October 16, 2005, 12:40 pm CDT

importance...

i know that no celebrity can ever be as happy as me, because this kind of happiness comes from living a normal life. but sometimes, i wonder what it would be to be famous and rich. when you have money, you have security. fame and wealth equals power. as a celebrity, you'll always be loved by you fans; you'll be important, and you're life would actually matter to other people. i want that kind of power. even if you're being stalked by the paparazzi, you a least know that you are worth stalking. as a celeb, you will always be special, amazing, magnificent, precious because of the infinite number of people fawning over you. what i wouldn't give to feel that for just one day...  

but don't get me wrong, because i'm pretty happy with my normal life for the most part. 

October 16, 2005, 4:53 pm CDT

hollywood phonies

How can anyone give a rats butt about phony people who do nothing but act and think they are God's gift to the human race? I won't spend a penny on a DVD or theatre for the crap that hollywood produces now and for the last 3 decades. What important thing do these people do??? They pretend, they act, they portray stupid characters in stupid movies. GET A LIFE. Don't even waste your money on People or any of the other mags out there. Gosh, put yourself first. They don't care about you or your family or your life, why should you pay them to be an insult to the human race? Look at your own environment, your family, your friends and your co-workers - they care about you, they are the people who will be there when you are sick and dying. What the hell does Kate Olsen care about you? All they think about is that Joe Public go to the movies and pays a fortune to she the crap they just 'starred' in. Give me a break.

October 16, 2005, 7:04 pm CDT

Why??

I understand that it is easy to get cought up with all the tabloides. I don't underswtand how anyone could want to be the stars. They are not real, they have plastic surgery and they have their lives put on the line so everyone knows everything about them. Most of what they tell in the tabloids is just not true. You dont see anything bad about Dr.Phil posted do you? NO becouse they know it's not true. For all of you who think you need to be just like someone else, just be yourself. Your friends won't like you anymore than they do now and you won't make any better friends being someone else.

October 16, 2005, 7:34 pm CDT

Matthew McConaughey

I wouldn't say that I'm obsessed or anything like that, but I do have a huge crush on Matthew McConaughey. I love knowing everything about him and where he's at and what he's up to. In fact, I have a group of friends on the web that feel the same way I do. We all think he is the best!! And the most good-looking human on earth. 

Most of us have never met him in person, but as much as we know about him, we feel we do know him. Dr. Phil, that doesn't make us obsessed, does it? 

VaNightOwl 

October 16, 2005, 7:52 pm CDT

10/17 Stalking the Stars

Quote From: proarmy88

Well, if it makes a difference I'm over obsessed with Amy Lee (( Lead Singer of Evanescence)). At first I thought it was the band I had my heart set on knowing everything about, but it's mainly Amy. Posters, CDs, I have a shrine right next to my window with all three albums on stands! I even keep them dusted. I have books, and I'm only interested in the quotes that Amy has contributed. I got for the look as well, even though it's mainly just a stage look. Make-up I even tried to grow my hair down to my butt, and pale my face with make-up. I'm on a diet to get as thin as her --;  

I've taken the clothes into consideration as well, geez a lou! Boots everything! I've spent entire paychecks on a wardrobe...JUST TO LOOK LIKE HER. I've practiced singing like her, and I know more about her then most Evanescence fans. What's even worse, I know her birthday and actually celebrate it, know her age, and I even know where she's currently living --; I also know her height...ect...I know I'm obsessed and what scares me is I don't even care. o.o  

I didn't see the show but I'm sure Dr. Phil gave people who are obsessed some good advice.  What did you think of the advice? 

October 16, 2005, 8:24 pm CDT

10/17 Stalking the Stars

I've read some of the replies to your message and I'm so sorry these women are coming down on you like this for having a celebrity role model! What is wrong with envying a womens body, career, success, and personality? All of you women know someone(maybe in your group of friends or home town) who you think "has it all" or is "so nice and perfect" and you can't help being a little envious. Sure there lives aren't perfect, in reality they are having fights with their husbands and kids like we all do and struggling with their weight.  When we put people down we are really just hacking away their self esteem and adding to our own.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last