Message Boards

Topic : 03/08 Stalking the Stars

Number of Replies: 242
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 14, 2005, 03:42:20 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 10/17/05) Do you catch yourself mesmerized by the photos in People or US Weekly magazines, looking to see who's wearing what, who's drunk and who's kissing whom? We can't get enough of celebrities, but when does our obsession go too far? Dr. Phil's first guests are two photographers who capture famous faces — but one is a paparazzo who chases down the stars, while the other is invited by celebs to take their pictures. Then, meet two women who can't stop obsessing over their favorite celebrity. Tabitha's infatuation with Tommy Lee is holding her back from meeting her "real" soul mate, and taking time and money away from her 3-year-old daughter. Could something biological be causing her obsession? And, Jenni wants to be the famous twin Mary-Kate Olsen so badly, it's ruining her life and could be killing her. Share your thoughts.

Find out what happened on the show.

More March 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 16, 2005, 9:03 pm CDT

10/17 Stalking the Stars

celebrities of all people are NOT the kind of role models I would want my children to have! Yes, there are a few celebrities that I like and think they are good at what they do as far as their careers go, but none of them have anything on me, maybe more money than me, but money doesn't buy love, happiness, joy, family, respect, nor does it buy the peace that only God can provide, and I have these things and so much more and wouldn't trade them for the world. to be obsessed over a celebrity is nothing but a waste of time and energy, they are not worth it!!! Maybe if people would respect themselves and see their own worthiness and seek out their own interests and quit living in a fantasy world then maybe they would work harder on becoming their own person and being happier being themselves, they wouldn't have to sit in front of the tv wishing they could be some one else and wishing they could get out of the pits of their own sorrows and sadness, whatever they are feeling. Sitting and drooling over celebrities isn't gonna help any one get a life. Just think, while these people are making money entertaining and doing whatever they are doing, alot of you are sitting there feeling sorry for yourself living in a dreamland. There is definetly more to life then wishing, and dreaming and pretending, How is all that working for you all?

October 16, 2005, 9:14 pm CDT

OMG!!

Oh my gosh! I cannot believe people can do this to their bodies.I'm 5'6" and I weigh 140. I've recently gained 15 lbs. over the summer cause I haven't worked out. My family keeps telling me that I'm getting fat, but I say I know and so what. I love my body and I love my-everything too much to ever think to hurt myself. Sure I look at magazines, and think to myself "Man, I wish I looked like that!" Just now, flipping through a Maxim, half naked girls with big boobs, flat stomach, and curves in all the right places. But you know what, even though I wish I looked like that PAPER, I understand that those girls are all "fixed"-the magic of computers. And you know what else, the starlets/stars-men too- that have a eating disorders feel just as crappy as the real people that try to be like them by throwing up or limit themselves to a leaf of lettuce a day. I LOVE food. It's like a uncomparable satisfaction everytime I eat a good meal. Girls, be good to your bodies! You only have one, and most of us sure enough don't have the money to fix it if we mess it up. Everyone has a inner and outer  beauty that can't be compared to anyone else. A beautiful freckle, perfectly arched eyebrow, even nice ankles! Lets focus on the beatiful and positive, and lets accept what we cannot change.

October 16, 2005, 10:24 pm CDT

no one is ever happy

Quote From: golden1

I certainly hope you DO get counseling--and soon. There's no telling how much time you have left before your cardiovascular system shuts down. Singer Karen Carpenter had the same problem; she didn't survive her obsession with being the "perfect" size. Anorexia and bulimia killed her--it will eventually kill you too if you don't get help.
no one ever seems to be happy with who they are until its to late most times - why dont we all just pull our fingers out and love ourselves for who we are and LOVE our selves

October 17, 2005, 5:32 am CDT

star obsessions

I too was obsessed with tommy lee-------------------IN HIGH SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!!  but unlike some wackos with no life I out grew that obsession,I also had to grow up to realize he was a scumbag too.Anyway nowadays I just admire some celebrities but by no means do I ever obsess over anyone.Those who do -need some professional help in a big way.

October 17, 2005, 5:37 am CDT

10/17 Stalking the Stars

Quote From: jettav

celebrities of all people are NOT the kind of role models I would want my children to have! Yes, there are a few celebrities that I like and think they are good at what they do as far as their careers go, but none of them have anything on me, maybe more money than me, but money doesn't buy love, happiness, joy, family, respect, nor does it buy the peace that only God can provide, and I have these things and so much more and wouldn't trade them for the world. to be obsessed over a celebrity is nothing but a waste of time and energy, they are not worth it!!! Maybe if people would respect themselves and see their own worthiness and seek out their own interests and quit living in a fantasy world then maybe they would work harder on becoming their own person and being happier being themselves, they wouldn't have to sit in front of the tv wishing they could be some one else and wishing they could get out of the pits of their own sorrows and sadness, whatever they are feeling. Sitting and drooling over celebrities isn't gonna help any one get a life. Just think, while these people are making money entertaining and doing whatever they are doing, alot of you are sitting there feeling sorry for yourself living in a dreamland. There is definetly more to life then wishing, and dreaming and pretending, How is all that working for you all?
Well I don't have any young daughters but I wouldn't want them looking up to Jessica Simpson or Britney Spears and I certainly wouldn't want them obsessing about these people and trying to look like them. 

It's all so shallow.  I mean, what do they have that's so desirable anyway?  Good looks, good body and money? 

Self esteem comes from within - not from looking like someone else.

October 17, 2005, 5:39 am CDT

10/17 Stalking the Stars

Quote From: mocap116

Oh my gosh! I cannot believe people can do this to their bodies.I'm 5'6" and I weigh 140. I've recently gained 15 lbs. over the summer cause I haven't worked out. My family keeps telling me that I'm getting fat, but I say I know and so what. I love my body and I love my-everything too much to ever think to hurt myself. Sure I look at magazines, and think to myself "Man, I wish I looked like that!" Just now, flipping through a Maxim, half naked girls with big boobs, flat stomach, and curves in all the right places. But you know what, even though I wish I looked like that PAPER, I understand that those girls are all "fixed"-the magic of computers. And you know what else, the starlets/stars-men too- that have a eating disorders feel just as crappy as the real people that try to be like them by throwing up or limit themselves to a leaf of lettuce a day. I LOVE food. It's like a uncomparable satisfaction everytime I eat a good meal. Girls, be good to your bodies! You only have one, and most of us sure enough don't have the money to fix it if we mess it up. Everyone has a inner and outer  beauty that can't be compared to anyone else. A beautiful freckle, perfectly arched eyebrow, even nice ankles! Lets focus on the beatiful and positive, and lets accept what we cannot change.
 Very impressed with your attitude for someone who looks very young. 

Congratulations!

Now if I did have young daughters and this young lady lived near me, I would make sure she hung out with my girls because she would indeed be a positive role model. 

October 17, 2005, 7:00 am CDT

just saw the show

Well, I just saw the show.  It was useless if you don't have children like me. Dr. Phil's only defense towards that girl stopping her obsession with mary-kate was because of her child.  For me, the show was just triggering!

October 17, 2005, 7:20 am CDT

10/17 Stalking the Stars

Quote From: mocap116

It's great that you're comfortable with yourself but my concern for you is that you don't let your weight increase.  I have a few family members that are considered 'overweight' and some of them have had health problems because of that weight, not because of what they're eating.  Although I understand how you feel about those who starve themselves.  I don't understand how anyone can do that.  I love food to much to give it up!  I'm 5'3" and weigh about 110 - 115lbs and I work out with weights at least 4-5 times a week and what drives me is looking at women that have small/medium muscular builds.  When I see these types of women it doesn't depress me because I don't look like them, it gives me motivation!

October 17, 2005, 7:43 am CDT

10/17 Stalking the Stars

Quote From: carla_nyc

Hi this is my first message on the Dr Phil website. I was watching the show on Friday and noticed a preview for a show about a girl who is so influenced by Mary-Kate Olsen that she purges with a picture of her. I am the exact same way- when I was watching the show I quickly identified with the level of glamour and sucess thats now associated with eating disorders. My eating problems started long before I began to take notice of all of the shrinking celebrities now in Tinseltown, I became bulimic at the age of 13, and have struggled off and on with both bulimia and anorexia since then ( I am now 18)- this past year I've really gotten out of control. I feel that my perfectionism ( I've obtained a 4.0 average and graduated from a top school in the top 2 percent of my class- and I am starting NYU in the Fall, I've taken a year off to travel.) has lead to such a tremendous amount of stress and exhaustion that I need to keep atleast one thing in control in my life- my body. I am about 5'5 and 100 pounds, but my goal weight is 85 pounds, because thats Nicole Richie's weight, and I think she looks great now. I paste pictures of her together in a scrapbook and whenever I want to eat, I look at them- and imagine myself being that perfect. I also pasted a picture of her on my bathroom wall and when I am purging I do look at it. I feel the same way about Mary-Kate and Lindsay Lohan, but Nicole RIchie is my favorite "thinspiration." I weigh myself about 5 times a day and make up little rules in my head about punishments for eating too much. I never go above 400 calories.....I'm hoping to get treatment soon though, since its been happening for years now. Although celebrities obviously didn't cause my problems, seeing them in magazines with gorgeous bones poking out certainly doesn't help.

When I was 14-15 years old I became anorexic and even 5 years down the road I still have traces of the disease in my head. 

Right now you can pull yourself out of a VERY scary situation.  Listen, I am not going to tell you what my lowest weight was but I will tell you that in the end, my hair was falling out... in chunks.   

I was put in the hospital and monitored for 48 hours and later had to go to a psychiatric hospital for a week. 

My dad sued my mom for custody, and won, claiming that she caused my illness.  The law suit itself cost my parent close to 50,000 dollars. 

I became completely withdrawn. 

This disease put my life on hold.  Please listen when i say that you don't have to do this.  You are obviously a very smart woman to realize that you do need to get treatment soon.  If you continue you will get sucked into something that you can not get out of easily if at all. 

My aunt died of bulimia-anorexcia when she was 44.  She left behind a 7 year old son, who never knew his mother because she was too obsessed with her eating to come to love her own son. 

Please for your own sake, go to a doctor that is covered by your insurance and get refered to a therapist that can help you.  Because once you are clinically diagnosed with an eating disorder, many therapists will not want to see you and insurance will fight to not cover your therapy because it is not considered an 'illness'.  

Antidepressants helped me tremendously.  And no I did not gain any weight because of the drugs, I promise. 

Try to see past this.   

This is the only body we are given in this world. 

Love yourself.  You have an amazing mind, don't waste it on counting calories. 

October 17, 2005, 7:46 am CDT

To Jenni

Why would you want to look like mary kate or ashley - your hotter then them !

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last