Message Boards

Topic : 03/08 Stalking the Stars

Number of Replies: 242
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 14, 2005, 03:42:20 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 10/17/05) Do you catch yourself mesmerized by the photos in People or US Weekly magazines, looking to see who's wearing what, who's drunk and who's kissing whom? We can't get enough of celebrities, but when does our obsession go too far? Dr. Phil's first guests are two photographers who capture famous faces — but one is a paparazzo who chases down the stars, while the other is invited by celebs to take their pictures. Then, meet two women who can't stop obsessing over their favorite celebrity. Tabitha's infatuation with Tommy Lee is holding her back from meeting her "real" soul mate, and taking time and money away from her 3-year-old daughter. Could something biological be causing her obsession? And, Jenni wants to be the famous twin Mary-Kate Olsen so badly, it's ruining her life and could be killing her. Share your thoughts.

Find out what happened on the show.

More March 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 17, 2005, 8:35 am CDT

Am I the only one?

I don't understand what being thin has to do with self worth.  It really doesn't matter how svelte your figure is if you contribute nothing to the world.  What would be so wrong about trying to be more like Eleanor Roosevelt or Rosa Parks and less like Mary-Kate Olsen or Paris Hilton? 

Thin doesn't mean beautiful, and having your rib cage stick out away from your body is not sexy. 

I am, what we call down south, a "big girl".  Although I am a married lady now back in my single days I had lots of boyfriends and dates, and party invitations. I was not popular because I was slender, I was popular because I am a lot of fun.  I have a wonderful sense of humor and an inner joy that draws people to me.   

Remember girls physical beauty fades, but inner beauty lasts a life time. 

October 17, 2005, 8:41 am CDT

Oh No!

Firstly, I believe celebrities know all about the trappings and trimmings that go with their jobs. Most of the time they love it. The downside is exactly that  .. the downside .. everything in life has a downside. I think if they have a problem with the paprazzi they should consider changing occupation or at least not have double standards courting attention one day and then feigning wanting to be left alone the next. There are plenty of celebrities that manage their private lives as exactly that, without attracting attention to themselves outside of their celebrity role. 

I feel very sorry for the people who are allowing their lives to be dominated by a fascination with a celebrity personality. You cannot know a person if you have not met them and spent time with them. These people you are idolising are not real people they are actors/performers. How sad that you are missing time with the real people in your lives, especially your children. It is very dangerous to try to control your life with bulimia and anorexia .. you are literally putting your life in danger. Please seek medical help ASAP.  

Redirect your energy to a needy purpose in your family, home town or a charity you are intersted in. Get involved with real people and reap the rewards of real relationships and even help other people in need on the way. 

Good Luck! 

October 17, 2005, 9:24 am CDT

Is it worth it?

I have an eating disorder also- seems like everyone does. I have had it since I was in gr. 8 . I also look at the magazines every week for mary- kate and my fave, Nicole Ritchie. And I too wish that I had a body like hers but I think people are forgetting one thing. Nicole Ritchie and Mary Kate are 5 feet tall. So all those girls who are 5.5 are just being silly trying to weigh 85. Also, its just a speculation on their weight. Do you really think that Mary- Kate, with all the controversy surounding her weight loss that she is going to tell the tabloids how much she really weighs? Also, what I have to keep telling myself everytime I see skinny pictures of them is that they are 18 and 23. A young girl that age can get away with being so thin because she is still young but remember Lara Flynn Boyle? She just looked gross. And she was as thin as them. I actually saw her on T.V saying she was the first to start the skinny trend. Even Nicole Ritchie is pushing it at 23. Her face is falling and she has deep creases around her mouth. They wear a Ton on makeup to look nice but in real life we cannot wear that much makeup so wouldn't you rather be pretty in person rather than just a picture. Meryll Streep said it best when she said "at one point we have to pick our faces or our bodies and I picked my face".  I try to remember that everytime I want to lose those extra  pounds that I have and cross over to my anorexia again. And to the girls that think everyone only sees them and likes them because of how thin you are. You are dead wrong. After I had gained weight again ( I was 80lbs) then people told me how they really thought. My sisters said I was an embarressment to them and guys said they were sicked out looking at me. I felt at the time too that I would be a nobody without anorexia but that is 100% the anorexia talking. Now I look back and think of how hard and time consuming it is to be anorexic. Those girls on the magazines, that is their job. So they can spend time on being self- centered but can you imaginge what you may accomplish if you at least thought of your bodies 50% less and focused on becoming something in life. Being skinny is not going to make you rich or grab you a rich man to marry or have a fulfilling career only you can do that. And you have to be healthy to do it.

October 17, 2005, 9:29 am CDT

WHY DO PEOPLE STALK THE STARS?

I DON'T REALLY UNDERSTAND WHY SOME PEOPLE ARE SO "HUNG UP" ON THE  "STARS" AND THIER LIVES! !  YES, SOME OF THEM ARE GOOD AT THEIR CRAFT/ART , AND SOME ARE NOT GOOD AT ALL,( BUT LIKE ALL THE MONEY AND ATTENTION THAT THEY RECIEVE).  AS FOR ME, I HAVE BETTER THINGS TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN TO GET OBSESSED WITH ANY  "STARS" LIFE........ 

SOME OF THE  "CELEBRITIES" ARE INTERESTING, BUT NOT ENOUGH TO BE A SUBJECT OF STALKING!   I THINK IT IS A REAL SHAME WHEN ANYONE WASTES THEIR LIFE BEING OBSESSED BY SOMEONE ELSE'S  LIFE.......THAT IS  REAL  CO-DEPENDENCE, TAKEN TO THE FARTHEST DEGREE!    I  SAY,  GET A LIFE!    DON'T  GET  HUNG UP  ON SOMEONE ELSE 'S  LIFE!   

October 17, 2005, 9:56 am CDT

Paprazzi are ruthless but...

I don't understand people going nuts over celebs. I have never bought a Star magazine I just don't care what they're doing. I think the paprazzi are disgusting, the lengths they go to trying to get a picture. BUT THE FAULT LIES with everyone who buys all those celeb magazines. If  YOU didn't want to see it and weren't willing to pay for those pictures the paprazzi would be out of a job.  Pay attention to what the celebs newest projects are, not what's going on in their personal life. Love yourself and worry about what YOUR families doing.

October 17, 2005, 10:06 am CDT

stop the insanity

i am very sad for you jenny!! you have a daughter to take care of and your living like this?? as a mom you need to get real!! i tell my daughter all the time when she brings up wanting to be like one of her teen idols, i tell her why there is NO ONE in the world better or prettier than you are!! i would start focusing on how to fill your daughter with all the self esteem she deserves than wasting your time on someone youll NEVER be!!! you are a beautifull girl and im sure your smarter than this!! take care of your daughter and BE HEALTHY!!!

October 17, 2005, 10:21 am CDT

10/17 Stalking the Stars

Quote From: mistyc

I don't understand what being thin has to do with self worth.  It really doesn't matter how svelte your figure is if you contribute nothing to the world.  What would be so wrong about trying to be more like Eleanor Roosevelt or Rosa Parks and less like Mary-Kate Olsen or Paris Hilton? 

Thin doesn't mean beautiful, and having your rib cage stick out away from your body is not sexy. 

I am, what we call down south, a "big girl".  Although I am a married lady now back in my single days I had lots of boyfriends and dates, and party invitations. I was not popular because I was slender, I was popular because I am a lot of fun.  I have a wonderful sense of humor and an inner joy that draws people to me.   

Remember girls physical beauty fades, but inner beauty lasts a life time. 

While I agree wiht you 100% I do have to say that as a person that is not thin, I feel the sting of not being "normal". At 47 I am virtually shut out of the dating game because I am not a Barbie.... most men like the Nicole Kidman look, long and thin. Most of the gentlemen in my bracket will havng with me as a friend.... I do have lots of them, but then they all come to me for advise on how to date "the cute young thin thing".  

I know too that having raised two daughters that I had to remind them that beauty is on the inside..... they reminded me that boys only see the outside......What to do about it? I don't know. I know that I was tickled to see the spate of commercials that are chowing larger people.... not just women, but men too. It's ice to see what real people look like rather than an underfed model.  

October 17, 2005, 10:25 am CDT

10/17 Stalking the Stars

Quote From: shadowjung

I DON'T REALLY UNDERSTAND WHY SOME PEOPLE ARE SO "HUNG UP" ON THE  "STARS" AND THIER LIVES! !  YES, SOME OF THEM ARE GOOD AT THEIR CRAFT/ART , AND SOME ARE NOT GOOD AT ALL,( BUT LIKE ALL THE MONEY AND ATTENTION THAT THEY RECIEVE).  AS FOR ME, I HAVE BETTER THINGS TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN TO GET OBSESSED WITH ANY  "STARS" LIFE........ 

SOME OF THE  "CELEBRITIES" ARE INTERESTING, BUT NOT ENOUGH TO BE A SUBJECT OF STALKING!   I THINK IT IS A REAL SHAME WHEN ANYONE WASTES THEIR LIFE BEING OBSESSED BY SOMEONE ELSE'S  LIFE.......THAT IS  REAL  CO-DEPENDENCE, TAKEN TO THE FARTHEST DEGREE!    I  SAY,  GET A LIFE!    DON'T  GET  HUNG UP  ON SOMEONE ELSE 'S  LIFE!   

hi! I quite agree with you.  

I think the reason i the glamour that is associated with them..... they lead perfect lives, travel great places, wear great clothes, have huge and wonderful homes.... 

I would suggest that the average person looks at their life as something less than desirable and idolize the people that have it better than themselvs. They like to imagine what it would be like to have a maid, trainer, cook, nanny and all of the moeny that they need to do with.  

Though FOX network took a beating for it showing the stars as they did with no make up or without all of their usual trappings was a nice respite. I was tickled to see that they too suffer from celulite, have bad hair and have clothes that should only be worn in an emergency run to the convienience store :)  

For my own reality break? When I find myself dreaming of the life they must have, I remind myself that they have to pay taxes on it and the bubble bursts and I am once again happy with my "poor" life :) 

Great Post! 

October 17, 2005, 10:31 am CDT

10/17 Stalking the Stars

Quote From: irishmom

Why is America so caught up in celebrities? What does it say about our country when we look up to people who fit the stereotypical image of "beautiful" instead of firefighters, who risk their lives to save the lives of others, instead of doctors who save lives, or policemen who put their lives on the line for our safety?  Most celebrities ARE NOTthat good looking in all reality.  Haven't you ever seen pictures of some of them without all of their make-up on??  I look better than some of those women when they aren't all dolled up, and I'm your average (albeit overweight) Joe-Anne!!!!  Some of these celebrities have real issues with their self-image.  They may seem happy but many of them are miserable underneath that mask!!  You have anorexic and bulimic stars - all to fit this stereotypical image of what "beauty" should look like!! MARILYN MONROE WAS A SIZE 8!!!!!!!!!  Wasn't she beautiful?  A size 8 woman would never be able to be a star in today's time!  Jennifer Lopez was jealous when she saw Ben looking at an "ordinary" girl!!  The grass is always greener on the other side.  Even celebrities think they aren't attractive!!

Hi there great Post! 

I did have to say though, Marilyn may have been an 8, but when she filmed Some Like it Hot, I think she was a whopping  size 12....... Ahhhhh to see a size 12 again..... and not have it refered to as a plus size !..... I don't recall the girls' name, but her dad is Steven Tyler ( no not Liv,  her sister). She had won a contract as a plus size model.... then the said she was 5' 10"  175..... I cringed..... at 5' 10" and 203 I must need to go to Omar the tent maker for my clothes if this girl is considered plus size...... 

October 17, 2005, 10:48 am CDT

stalking the stars

The papparazzi are nosy. They should leave these people alone. C'mon, have some respect for them. Its none's business what they do behind close doors.  They have lives too. If I were famous, would I want someone always hanging around to see what I do next? I don't think so. The photographers should mind their own business and go about their own life.  

Being obsessed about a celebrity is somewhat ok, to an extent. I used to like Hanson, the backstreet boys, n-sync, 98 degrees,  and other music groups. I would put magazine posters on the walls or my doors. I would check concert times and other events too. I had to come to a realization that its just a crush. Later on,  after they took a different route with their music, I was not really into them much anymore. I think when the obsession gets out of control, then it becomes a problem.  

If I ever met someone famous, I would like to know how they got started in the business they are in and how they like it now as an adult. When I was little, I liked Amy Grant because she was a good singer, beautiful, and a wonderful woman. I wanted to be just like her, a singer with brown curly hair, and even get to sing with her on stage, just to have the cool experience. I had to face reality and understand that was just a fantasy.  Its ok to like a celebrity and enjoy their work, but to want to be like one, that is something that might raise questions. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last