Message Boards

Topic : 06/06 "I'm Gay, OK?"

Number of Replies: 4125
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 14, 2005, 03:56:41 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 10/19/05) Sexual orientation used to be something kept hidden from family and co-workers, but now more and more people are "coming out" and finding acceptance. Anjela says her mother and sister don't support her sexual orientation, and feel she can't be Christian and gay at the same time. Can they reconcile this touchy issue? Then, two men debate whether a person can go from gay to straight, and parents of a 4-year-old boy fear their son's desire to play with dolls and wear heels means he'll grow up to be gay. Are they overreacting to his wishes to be a princess instead of a prince? Talk about gender and gay issues here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 16, 2005, 1:59 pm CDT

Absolutely NOT!

Can Gays and Lesbians have this alternative lifestyle and be a Christian?  No Way!  Does God hate Gays and Lesbians?  Absolutely NOT!  But he hates this lifestyle!  It is so very clear in the Bible that He views this as a abomonation!  Can these people go from gay to straight?  Absolutely.... it is a choice!  Jesus is the answer and their Hope!  On behalf of our President, I would like to say, that we do not hate these people but love them enough to tell them the truth!  If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything!  Jesus loves you!     

October 16, 2005, 2:12 pm CDT

Biblical Scholars

Quote From: tulseyjoe

Why don't you people who read English Only Bibles learn how to read the Bible in its correct spiritual and historical context? I already posted about the same-gender sexual activity which is condemned in the Bible is heterosexual men having sexual intercourse with a pagan holy person in service to a fertility god. And . . . , that "holy" person is dressed up in clothes to represent a female goddess. The King James Version Bible translators called a male holy person, a "kodesh," in service to the Canaanite goddess Asherah a "sodomite." But, those same translators called a female holy person, a "kodeshah," serving that same goddess a whore or prostitute. Go figure. When "kodesh" or "kodeshah" are used in the Hebrew Language Bible texts and the situation has no connection with non-Jewish religion, they are called "saints." 

Oh, in Romans chapter One, the women engaged in sexual activity in that chapter are actually pagan female holy persons (aka "votaries") who strap on sexual devices to have anal sexual activity with the heterosexually married male worshipper. In that case, it is a man having sex with a woman as though the woman is a male and the act of anal sex is supposed to give the male worshipper more ability to have more children. There are no "lesbians" in that chapter.  

Some people think that the apostle, Paul, condemned homosexuals. But, he did not and the Greek word "arsenokoitai," used by him in Corinthians and Timothy was NEVER used by any other person before Paul nor by anyone after Paul's use of the Greek word either. No one, absolutely nobody, knows what it literally means. Since it ends with the suffix 'ai," that means it is a plural feminine noun, aka they are females. And since "arseno" supposedly means male and "koit" is Greek for "bed," an interpretation of that is females who take males to bed, or more literally "female male-bedders."  

One has absolutely no control over one's sexual orientation. There is no Scripture in the original Hebrew or Greek texts of the Bible that even implies that God, aka YHWH, even hates homosexuals having sex at any time. Jesus NEVER said one thing about homosexuals nor their sexual activity.  

Homosexuals might be able to not have sexual activity before marriage if all of the States in the USA gave equal rights, including civil marriage rights, to those who are exclusively homosexual, just like those states give the right to heterosexuals and even bisexuals to have heterosexual, aka opposite-gender, marriages.  

Oh, I took "Freshman Orientation 101" when I was a 1st Semester Freshman in college in 1961. A class used to orientate one to a particular institution or a job is not the same thing as to what is sexual orientation. One has to choose to go to college or university before one can even take such a class. 

Why do ignorant people confuse sexual orientation with sexual preference? Those who use the Bible out of context to condemn homosexuality and homosexuals don't even know the difference. "Sexual preference" has to do with what kind of sexual activity one likes the best and what type of individual to have that sex activity with. 

I have also observed that the misusers of the Bible also try to put homosexuality into the same category as addictions.  

I won't debate the scholarship you have cited because you have already decided that the scholarly works that you have read and support your position are the ones that you will follow.   

There are scholars that will tell you that Mary wasn't a virgin.  That  Mary was a virgin.  That Jesus was not the son of God.  That Jesus was the son of God.  That Jesus never really died.  That he died and was resurrected.  That we are bound by the old testament law.  That we are not bound by the old testament law.  That the bible is literal.  That the bible is not literal.  That the Jewish people are God's chosen people.  That the Jewish people are not God's chosen people.  And so on and so on.  And these scholars will all go back to the original Hebrew and Greek manuscripts to support the position they have taken.  They will use scripture and history and whatever other sources they want to prove their point. 

Then there are those, biblical scholars and not, who have accepted Jesus Christ as their personal Saviour, who have accepted His Lordship over their lives, who seek to be His - to be transformed by the renewing of their hearts and minds.   Who know that the wisdom of man is foolishness in regard to faith in Christ and the wisdom of the Lord is foolishness to the unbeliever.  They will immerse themselves in God's word and pray and seek a biblically grounded, Christ- centered fellowship of believers who preach Christ crucified and resurrected ... and believe in the faith that only comes from God .. to change them from the inside out.  They are not using scripture and texts and historical documents and whatnot to prove a point ... they are allowing the Word of God to be the bread of life, to sharply hone them into what God desires for them to be.     

The Word of God for one who professes Jesus Christ as their Lord and Saviour should never be taken out of context ... to prove a point.   Either way.  It is the living word of God.  And that Word became flesh and dwelt among us.  It needs no other arguement.  It needs no other proof.   

You are certainly an educated man.   

Oh, btw, if you or anyone can tell me how to quote a portion rather than the entire quote, please advise. 

Thanks. 

October 16, 2005, 2:38 pm CDT

10/19 "I'm Gay, OK?"

I find it continually amazing that homosexuality is still one of the most controversial issues, being talked about more than pedophlia, and the fact that children are being sold into sex at ages 4 and up right here in our own backyards. There are so many other issues that we should be arguing about and homosexuality should not be one of them because it is between two consenting adults who are very aware of what we are doing! 

I am a lesbian and have known I was "different" since the age of 3, since I have developed memories. I didn't pinpoint what it was until I was 14 years old. The fact is, most gay people know they are gay from the age of 6 (proven fact) but it's not always being concious of being gay, it's just feeling different and out of place. Heterosexual people cannot understand what it is like to be gay, to hate yourself for it, to have to deal with it every single day. I am happy with myself and I wouldn't change being gay, but I will always always always struggle with coming out to people who continually ask me if I have a boyfriend. Imagine being a teenager. It is hard. Imagine being a gay teenager. It is 10 times harder. 

I don't understand why being gay has to come down to religion so much. Not all of us share your religion. I am a Christian but I do not follow the Bible, I believe it is a good teaching tool but I do not live my life by it. I think we are all given challenges to overcome and that includes being gay. It's not about changing it, it's about accepting who you are and ultimately being happy with yourself. The truth is, being in Canada, Christians are not as prevalent as they are in the states, especially in places like Vancouver where Christianity is the lowest percentage in North America. Christians do not rule the world. Not everyone has the same beliefs as you. I think for anyone who says it's a sin, for anyone who says God will save us, why don't you keep in mind that not all of us believe in the same God as you. 

I am happy being who I am and if I was to try to change it, it would just make me an unhappy person. So why instill that on me or anyone else? I also want to mention that I am in Canada, and gay marriage is legal here. And you know what? The world hasn't ended. In fact, the only thing that has changed is the amounts of arguments between gays and homophobes. 

I am a lesbian and I am proud of it. I am happy and I would never change it, not for God, not for Jesus, and not for anyone else. You can call me a sinner, it doesn't matter, because I don't believe in sins. For anyone who has supported a gay person, whether it to be a daughter, son, friend or anyone else, good for you. You make our lives easier. I thank you from the bottom of my heart. And good for you Dr. Phil for taking this subject on. It's about time! 

October 16, 2005, 2:45 pm CDT

10/19 "I'm Gay, OK?"

Quote From: mawmawsand

Hello, I hope to my good ness that little boys will always be able to play with dolls. My son dressed up in dress up (women/girls) clothes when he was little, and he is NOT GAY. It is a stage that they go thru, especially if they have a sister. And playing with dolls helps them to become a good father. NO I wouldn't buy a 10 year old a Barbie doll, but from birth to 6-7, let them make their choices, and play with All TOYS.

What if the 10 year old wanted a Barbie doll? Would you forbid it?  

I ask this with a smile on my face because I remember an uncle of mine buying his son [who is now a gay adult] a toy cement mixer when the boy was about 7 or 8. The dad was worried that the boy was too feminine [well, he did have a drawer full of Barbie dolls with wonderful outfits.] When asked later on whether the boy played with the cement mixer the father ruefully shook his head and said, "Yeah. He uses it as a washer for his Barbie doll clothes."  

October 16, 2005, 2:53 pm CDT

10/19 "I'm Gay, OK?"

Quote From: belleange_

In Deuteronomy 23:17-18 in the Living Bible it states:    No prostitutes are permitted in Israel, either men or woman: you must not bring to the Lord any offering from the earnings from a prostitute or a homesexual, for both are destable to the Lord your God. 

I Corinthians 6:9-10 in the NIV Bible states: Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God?  Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 

1 Corinthians 6 13 states... The body is not meant for sexual immorality, but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body.  Also, read the book of Romans.  It too discusses this topic.  So yes the Bible does discuss the sin of homosexuals.  Don't get mad at me for stating the truth as I see it in the Bible.  That doesn't mean your hated by everybody but it does strongly state it is a sin.  You who are gay have been deceived by satan.  If you believe in God then you must also believe in the devil as God clearly states that he comes to kill, steal and destroy. It doesn't matter to me how you claim to of been gay, what matters is that you have been deceived.  You can also read Leviticus 20:13 in the Living Bible also states :  The penality for homosexual acts is death to both parties.  They have brought it upon themselves.  New International Bible 20:13 same thing different wording states:  If a man lies with a man as one lies witha woman both of them have done what is detestable.  They must be put to death: their blood will be on their own heads.    So it does discuss this sin whether or not you choose to believe it. 

Oh for goodness sake. The Bible also says, in Exodus 22:18, "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live". Do you plan to hunt down and execute all the followers of Wicca? Do you think the state should do that?  

Leviticus 25.23 says that no land is to be sold outright (lest land accumulate in the hands of the rich). Have you ever sold land? Do you think we should put a stop to this practice?  

Deuteronomy 20.19f requires us not to burn fruit-bearing trees in war - do you think that we should make sure we bomb no fig trees in Iraq?  

I get so sick of people using little snippets of the Bible to justify their prejudices, but then ignoring the rest of the rules and saying "Oh, well those are outdated or irrelevant."  

October 16, 2005, 3:08 pm CDT

difficult road for gays

When I was 3 yrs old we moved to a university town for my Dad's job at the college and for the next 30 years until retirement his 2 bosses were a gay male couple. You never heard one name without the other and being a university was tolerant . Of course they took vacations together,etc. I just thought it was normal for them. they were nice people. Ater I got married we lived in Madison, wisconsin for 10 years and  congressmen and women were gay, too and extremely qualified. Now where I live I had a friend whose family was tolerant of her lifestyle but not entirely approving. When a parent died, she only had one sibling and the funeral home was divided in 2 sides, one for her sibling and one side with her friends and coworkers as they were not speaking. But the parent who passed away had split the estate between the two, showing no favoritism and my friend who helped her parent thru the illness with kindness was able to buy a home and gain independence. She quit her church and joined one that was accepting and even let her give a sermon one Sunday.We were happy for her. We should help them achieve their talents as many are gifted and talents to share.

October 16, 2005, 3:48 pm CDT

God loves people - not sin

Our God is a holy, loving and just  God.  He has given us a book to help us get to know Him - the Bible.  His design for us is very clear in this book. Throughout this book He speaks of how He wants us to live our sexual lives.  Basically - sex is ONLY for marraige - between a man and a woman.  It is not ok for people of the same sex to have sexual relations (even nature shows us this - a man and a man do not 'fit' together - nor can they produce offspring) - nor is it ok for a human to have sex with an animal - or to have sex outside side of marraige.   It is very sad to hear people in the media condone homosexuality - some even saying they are Christian and accepting it.  Why do they accept it when God doesn't?  Why do some churches who preach the Bible accept homosexuality?  It's very disturbing - and even more disturbing that - unless they repent - they will be judged.  --------  Jesus said, 'I am the way, the truth, and the life.  No man come to the Father but by me.'  If you truly want the truth in your life - and if you want to be freed from the fear and power of death - receive Jesus as your Lord and Savior.  He is man's ONLY hope.

October 16, 2005, 3:49 pm CDT

True Christians

Quote From: jscarroll

Jesus Christ died on the cross for our sins. He paid the price for us so we don't have to.Homosexuality is a sin (not disputed at all), but so is acting like you are God. You have no right to say that anyone will be punished for sins that God has already forgiven. If you ask for forgiveness and believe in Him for the forgiveness, you will never hear about it from God, just narrow-minded, stiff-necked hippocrites. I have a few friends that are gay and I know them to be true Christians. When we stand before God on Judgement Day I truly believe we will be hearing about things we didn't do and not mistakes we made that are already forgiven.
True Christians obey their Creator.

October 16, 2005, 4:08 pm CDT

10/19 "I'm Gay, OK?"

Quote From: kdaniels1

Homosexualality is against God's holy word.  God didn't make gay people when he created Adam and Eve.  That is man's choice which is condemed by God. 

Kdaniels1 

LOL, and who says there was an Adam and Eve or an Ark for that matter.  Just another one of those tall tales written by old men claiming God was talking to them.  LOL and what do you Christian's do with people talking like that nowadays?  Throw them in a mental hospital?   Arrest them and throw them in a padded cell. 

"Christians" for the most part,  judge others while believing they are holy and will be saved.   "Christians" are responsible for most of the major holocausts and witch hunts.   There is a higher incidence of sexual deviation and "problems" within the family structure of Christians then in any other religion or society on this planet.    

A group that comprises of the most sinners per square inch and they spout how awful gays are, when it is more likely for a homosexual couple to be stable and monogamus.  How awful that you are teaching your children to hate others and judge others.  I would rather teach my children to be kind to others no matter what they look like or what they do.  Christians repulse me. 

October 16, 2005, 4:34 pm CDT

How do we really know what God wants?

First let me say that I am a divorced mother of two with nine grand children.  I came out in 1980 and, after two relationships with women, met the woman I have been with now for over 20 years.  I believe myself to be a christian and believe that God loves me just as much as he does anyone else.  My children are happy, well adjusted, and straight.  My son is a youth minister at a  baptist church.  My family loves me for who I am and fully accepts my parter as my soul mate.  My son and I have had many discussions over religion and what the bible does and does not say.  We obviously both have our opinions on the matter.   

My question is this.  How do we really know what God wants and intends for us?  Our bibles are written by man and have been translated many many times over the centuries.  Up until 100 years ago, the word homosexual was never even in the bible.  It says it is a sin for a man to take another man for his own pleasures.  Some would say this is homosexuality.  I interpret it another way.  I believe they are talking about rape and forceable sodomy.   I don't believe that a God who is loving and just would have given me a person who has fulfilled my life so completely and who has been such a gentle spirit and positive influence on so many she comes in contact with, and then look at that as a sin.  If the truth be told, honesty should dictate that God would look down on those who engage in recreational sex, bed hopping while dating, and adultery much more than my relationship. 

I actually don't  really think this is a religion/homosexuality issue(or even sex between same sex partners because they are not married).  I believe it has to do with the fact that people don't understand it and are afraid of it, so they condem it.  Some people do not accept others who are different than they are.  Just because I was with other women (and men) before my current partner doesn't mean I had sex with them.  People don't ever talk about that though.  They automatically go to what I do in the bedroom.  How many straight people have plutonic relationships?  How many married people commit adultery?  How many marriages end in divorce?  How many virgins who have saved themselves for the gift that God created for them are there in the world?  The difference is that their civil and equal rights to other people in this country are not being violated.  Those of people in gay relationships are.   

I don't believe God intends for non-accepting individuals to be bigots or prejudicial, but he forgives them when they are.  I also don't believe he intends for them to stand in judgment of me, but accepts them when they do.  I believe that God accepts me and loves me for who I am.  What he really feels about my lifestyle will only truly be answered on judgment day.  But I believe my name will be in the Big Book and I will be sitting on his right side for eternity.  I believe we will all see that his mercy and love will overshadow all of these debates about homosexuality and who is right or wrong.  One thing we all agree on is that God wants us to accept him in our hearts and be saved.  That's what the world should focus on, not who has the bigger stick on the issue. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last