Message Boards

Topic : 06/06 "I'm Gay, OK?"

Number of Replies: 4125
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 14, 2005, 03:56:41 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 10/19/05) Sexual orientation used to be something kept hidden from family and co-workers, but now more and more people are "coming out" and finding acceptance. Anjela says her mother and sister don't support her sexual orientation, and feel she can't be Christian and gay at the same time. Can they reconcile this touchy issue? Then, two men debate whether a person can go from gay to straight, and parents of a 4-year-old boy fear their son's desire to play with dolls and wear heels means he'll grow up to be gay. Are they overreacting to his wishes to be a princess instead of a prince? Talk about gender and gay issues here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 19, 2007, 7:59 pm CDT

I'm still here!

Quote From: dutchyanna

Today the show about being gay was aired here in The Netherlands, where I live. To me, as a 25-year old girl from Amsterdam, it's very odd to see how many American folks treat homosexuality as some weird disease. In my opinion, and in the opinion of many Dutchmen, if you're gay, you're gay, and that's fine! Offcourse it's interesting to discuss where homosexuality comes from, whether it's nature (genetic) or nurture (cultural), but whatever it may be, being gay isn't weird, nor wrong, nor immoral, or whatever.

In the Dr. Phil show gay people are treated polite, off course, but I always sense a little abstinence in talking about this subject on the show. I get the impression that, although everybody on the show is claiming to be very tolerant about gay people, deep in their hearts they aren't, or wouldn't want their own son or daughter to be gay. Offcourse there are people in The Netherlands (in the eyes of many Americans a very "liberal" country) as well who feel that way, but I must say that I'm very glad that being gay is very much socially and culturally accepted over here. For the record: I'm not gay, but I do love living in a country where there aren't many people who reject homosexuality (except for the Muslim minority, who are usually very conservative and religious). To be completely honest, I think that the fact that in the US many people are deeply religious isn't a big advantage when it comes to accepting different life forms, especially this one. What do you think about this?

Kind regards,

Anna

(Amsterdam, The Netherlands)

You know, I had left and then decided to come back again just to check out if people are still checking this site out....I see that some people are still writing posts....I don't know if anyone of you still remember me.  It's Eden but my real name is Sarah.

I still serving God and He continue's to be faithful to me as I choose to align my will to the will of my Father in Heaven.  Even more so I continue to experience healing and freedom and coming to understand more of Christian discipleship and what this means for somebody like me....the one with the same-sex attractions but chooses to still place her trust in the Lord knowing that homosexuality is not what God intended. 

Just recently there was this press release about studies that show that change is possible for some.  These studies have been duplicated and can be duplicated over and over again yet those trying to prove the gay gene has yet to duplicate their studies?  

In this press release it validates the testimony's of many of thousands of people who have turned their lives to Jesus and trust in their God for healing and freedom. 

I am challenged everyday in how I respond those in the gay community and I love my friends who are gay and they know it.   I respect people with their choices and understand that some things we can't help and some things aren't about choice.

I didn't choose to be attracted to the same-sex but I choose to place my trust in the one who has created me and in this process I am learning who God is and experiencing a new found freedom and healing in my life...healing that is very real and a freedom that is very real.  I can only testify to my relationship with Jesus who makes this possible. 

You are what you are...you is what you is...some things cannot be helped and we know that this issue is extremely complicated but one thing I do know is the healing that has come into my life and the healing that I will always speak of and proclaim. 

And to this I say Amen...

June 10, 2008, 1:50 pm CDT

06/06 "I'm Gay, OK?"

Quote From: cockerlove

In reply to the first and second paragraphs above:  

The quote in the second paragraph is from the preamble to the Declaration of independence. Unfortunately, as interpreted, it does not apply to homosexuals, either men or women.  

Additionally, the constitution does not protect people due to either sexual orientation or gender identity. In most states, it is legal to fire or deny employment solely because a person is homosexual. It is also legal to refuse to rent an apartment, break a lease or rental agreement,  or refuse to sell a home to a homesexual person. Eight states plus D.C. prohibit discrimination based on both sexual orientation and gender identity. Another nine states prohibit discrimination based on just sexual orientation.  

I have not read each statute so I don't know how far those protections extend. They usually prohibit discrimination in employment and "public accomodation." Some, however, are less expansive; instead of public accomodations, they specifically mention only housing, which is far more restrictive. Some statutes restrict legal protections further by exempting small businesses, etc.  

Legal protections are also provided by some municipalities and counties.   

-------------------  

Think about that for a moment. How would you feel and what would you think if you or someone you love was denied shelter or the means to support him or herself with no recourse? If you are a Christian, ask yourself "What would Jesus do?"  

The Bible is pretty clear about...this sort of stuff. Jesus loves everyone. No matter what they do.

August 2, 2008, 8:23 pm CDT

The forgotten scripture

Quote From: irishmom

The Bible CLEARLY states that homosexuality is a sin.  However, the Bible also clearly states that we should love EVERYONE, as does Jesus.  There were many people in Biblical times that sinned, but Jesus himself said, "He who is without sin, let him cast the first stone".  I do not agree with homosexuality, but I have my own sins to worry about.  Who am I to judge another when I walk imperfectly?  If one of my children were to come to me and tell me they were gay, I would be very sad for them (for many reasons, not just because of the fact that they are gay, but because it is such a hard lifestyle to live, in part because of all the hatred toward them), but I would LOVE them NO differently.   So-called Christians who HATE gays and treat them unkindly are not Christians at all in my opinion. 
I agree that the bible states that homesexuality is a sin.  However it has been my experience that so called Christians are so wrapped up in telling others how much they sin that they have simply passed over the most important scripture in the bible....Judge not lest ye be judged yourself.  It is extremely hard to live by this one lone statement...however I have found that my life is so much less stressful since I started working  hard to do so.  When did I decide to get serious about it?  When my son admitted he was gay.  I had suspected it for years...but it still hit me like a ton of bricks.  Before I even had a chance to think...I said, "I will always have unconditional love for my kids."  This has been a very eye opening experience for both of us.   Who do I dread the most when he fully "comes out?"  Christians.    I pray that I am wrong. 

December 4, 2008, 12:46 am CST

THINKIN BOUT U

Quote From: liveitup

Thank you so much for finally discussing the issue of homosexuality/ sexual orientation. I am a 23 yr old professional student and I have struggled for several years with my sexuality. I have recently accepted that I'm gay . Now I have to deal with the hardship of telling my very conservative family and hope they accept me for who I am. I would love to hear more information/ advice on "coming out".
i'm new to this, nor sure how to contact u....... and i'd SO let u contact me if i knew how... but anyway. tell them who you are and remember they just might not accept. in fact, they probably won't at first. i don't know if ura f or m, but regardless they see a white wedding, grandkids, u know...... all the NORMAL things. this WILL bring a lil death to them. and that's ok. it IS a kind of death....... of the normal dreams. they thought they were going on a vacation to italy and they ended up in canada... HUH? this is NOT what we signed up for......... but canada, tho not the same, is ok too...... and if they cannot accept it, keep accepting YOU for who u are.... be ready to open your arms again and remember who they are and what they are comfortable with....... they may never accept you as YOU......... but they DO love you..... you say they are conservative... religious? then remind them bout parable of cup being clean on outside but dirty on inside...... we all have to be true to Lord.... and just cuz ur gay doesn't mean ur not. GOD DON"T MAKE JUNK AND UR NOT JUNK. follow ur own heart and fall in love with someone WONDERFUL..... and yes u can have kids... u can have all the things we ahem NORMAL people do.... ur not weird. ur not less than anyone. ur not even different. ur u. and ur ok. with me, with God, and someday...... the state. thots and prayers with ya.... always...... and really? good for YOU for being strong enuff to realize who u really are!!!!!!!!!

January 26, 2009, 9:03 pm CST

I'm gay, ok?

Quote From: mstraceyag

Recently my 15 yo son came 1/2 way out of the closet by saying that he is "bisexual".  This wasnt surprising to me at all because I have been prepared for him to tell me that he was "gay" since he was 3 yrs old.  What concerns me is the kids at school.  I have told him that I dont care who he shares this information but was afraid that the homophobic males will hear that he is "gay" and not "bi".  Guess what, someone in one of his classes had access to the chalkboard prior to my sons arrival and wrote, "Trevor's Gay".  He told me what happened in class afterward and my heart broke that he wasnt ready for this.  Im SCARED of what the future holds for him while he figures it all out.   

By the way, Im not a believer of the "bisexual" sexuality.  Either you are or your not! 

Did your son ever come "all the way out"?  I am dealing with almost the exact same thing....starting from when he was very young, and sort of bracing myself from what actually came out of his mouth.  He is only 12, though, and when I read your quote, my jaw dropped.  What should I expect?

First | Prev | 408 | 409 | 410 | 411 | 412 | 413 | Next Page | Last Page