Message Boards

Topic : 06/06 "I'm Gay, OK?"

Number of Replies: 4125
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 14, 2005, 03:56:41 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 10/19/05) Sexual orientation used to be something kept hidden from family and co-workers, but now more and more people are "coming out" and finding acceptance. Anjela says her mother and sister don't support her sexual orientation, and feel she can't be Christian and gay at the same time. Can they reconcile this touchy issue? Then, two men debate whether a person can go from gay to straight, and parents of a 4-year-old boy fear their son's desire to play with dolls and wear heels means he'll grow up to be gay. Are they overreacting to his wishes to be a princess instead of a prince? Talk about gender and gay issues here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 16, 2005, 4:43 pm CDT

Don't throw it in my face!

Yes we shouldn't judge people or be mean to people because they are gay, but Do not throw it in my face. I don't like it  and I don't want my son to grow up thinking it is o.k. and the woman who brought the bible into this. You need to reread it because it does say that gays are narrow minded and so forth. If a woman had an abortion she doesn't go around telling everybody and being proud of it. Only your close family and friends should know and it's the same for gay people. When they have their gay parades and so forth that is like a slap in the face. It's like saying Hey look at me I go against God and I'm proud of it. Yes everyone sins but you shouldn't be proud of it. 

October 16, 2005, 4:50 pm CDT

10/19 "I'm Gay, OK?"

Quote From: belleange_

In Deuteronomy 23:17-18 in the Living Bible it states:    No prostitutes are permitted in Israel, either men or woman: you must not bring to the Lord any offering from the earnings from a prostitute or a homesexual, for both are destable to the Lord your God. 

I Corinthians 6:9-10 in the NIV Bible states: Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God?  Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 

1 Corinthians 6 13 states... The body is not meant for sexual immorality, but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body.  Also, read the book of Romans.  It too discusses this topic.  So yes the Bible does discuss the sin of homosexuals.  Don't get mad at me for stating the truth as I see it in the Bible.  That doesn't mean your hated by everybody but it does strongly state it is a sin.  You who are gay have been deceived by satan.  If you believe in God then you must also believe in the devil as God clearly states that he comes to kill, steal and destroy. It doesn't matter to me how you claim to of been gay, what matters is that you have been deceived.  You can also read Leviticus 20:13 in the Living Bible also states :  The penality for homosexual acts is death to both parties.  They have brought it upon themselves.  New International Bible 20:13 same thing different wording states:  If a man lies with a man as one lies witha woman both of them have done what is detestable.  They must be put to death: their blood will be on their own heads.    So it does discuss this sin whether or not you choose to believe it. 

You Go and I back you up %. Thank you 

October 16, 2005, 5:12 pm CDT

Don't Proof-Text the Bible when it is mistranslated

Quote From: belleange_

In Deuteronomy 23:17-18 in the Living Bible it states:    No prostitutes are permitted in Israel, either men or woman: you must not bring to the Lord any offering from the earnings from a prostitute or a homesexual, for both are destable to the Lord your God. 

I Corinthians 6:9-10 in the NIV Bible states: Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God?  Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 

1 Corinthians 6 13 states... The body is not meant for sexual immorality, but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body.  Also, read the book of Romans.  It too discusses this topic.  So yes the Bible does discuss the sin of homosexuals.  Don't get mad at me for stating the truth as I see it in the Bible.  That doesn't mean your hated by everybody but it does strongly state it is a sin.  You who are gay have been deceived by satan.  If you believe in God then you must also believe in the devil as God clearly states that he comes to kill, steal and destroy. It doesn't matter to me how you claim to of been gay, what matters is that you have been deceived.  You can also read Leviticus 20:13 in the Living Bible also states :  The penality for homosexual acts is death to both parties.  They have brought it upon themselves.  New International Bible 20:13 same thing different wording states:  If a man lies with a man as one lies witha woman both of them have done what is detestable.  They must be put to death: their blood will be on their own heads.    So it does discuss this sin whether or not you choose to believe it. 

"Proof-texting" is the taking of a phrase, sentence, chapter, etc., of literature out of its original historical context to either support one's view or condemn others. According to the the author of the textbook which I had when I took Biblical Hermeneutics (aka Bible Interpretation), the KJV translators did a dis-service to the Bible by dividing its books up into chapters and verses. Because of that, English speaking readers, especially, take phrases, sentences, verses, and even chapters of the Bible completely out of their original contexts and misuse them. Oh, I took that course when I was a graduate student at Oral Roberts University in the 1970s working on a Master of Arts in Theological and Historical Studies (MATHS) Degree. I attended there for 5 semesters. I was in denial of my sexual orientation then. 

The word mistranslated as "prostitute" in the Living Bible is "kodesh" for males and "kodeshah" for females. The word "Kodesh" and its feminine spelling Kodeshah" do not mean prostitute at all.  

When Deuteronomy was written, there were no vowel points in the Hebrew text at all. Those were added by a group of Jews a long time after the birth of Jesus. When referring to a person, "kodesh" refers to anyone serving a god, either a pagan god or YHWH, aka Yahweh or Jehovah. What the author of Deuteronomy was referring to is that none of the Children of Israel should be serving the Canaanite gods as holy persons.  

In regard to what is in 1 Corinthians 6:9-13, and the word translated as "male prostitutes," which is "malakoi," that word means "soft" and Jesus used the very same word when referring to the kind of clothing which John the Baptist did not wear.  

And that other word, arsenokoitai, mistranslated as "homosexual offenders," was NEVER used by any other of the Bible's authors other than the Apostle Paul.  . . . AND according to experts in historical documents  and other Greek writings, NOBODY, and I mean Nobody! used the word except Paul himself.  

Do not call the same-gender sexual activity in Leviticus 18:22  and Leviticus 20:13 homosexual acts. Oh, it's true that both of the persons involved are male adults; but, the actual sex act is not done by homosexuals at all! One of the was a Kodesh, a male holy person, and the other a married-to-a-woman heterosexual man who went to make a ritual sacrfice to the Canaanite fertility gods. And as i stated before, that "kodesh" would put on women's clothing pretending to be Asherah, the Canaanite fertility goddess. In the mind of the heterosexual man from the community, he was not having sexual activity with a male person at all, he was having sex with a woman, the goddess herself! 

It is interesting that people read the Bible without even doing any personal research into the very culture or cultures the Bible's Books' authors were discussing. If you, referring to the author of the person I quoted in this disucssion, don't know anything about the customs of the Canaanites and the Romans and their worship of false gods, you won't even understand what the authors of Leviticus, Romans, I & II Corinthians, and I & II Timothy are talking about in regard to pagan religions. 

In fact, Chapters 18, 19, AND 20 of Leviticus should be read as one complete context. The opening verses of Chapter 18 are repeated/summed up in the closing verses of Chapter 20.  

Oh, the original Living Bible was an English PARAPHRASE, not a translation, of the King James Version of the Bible. Mr. Taylor did not use the Hebrew nor Greek Texts to do that paraphrase. He made lots of mistakes in doing so.  

Literally here is what Leviticus 18:22 states when properly translated from the Hebrew: "And you (male) shall not lay  as one lays with a woman; that is "to'ebah" (a taboo in Hebrew culture/religion).  

Literally in translation, Leviticus 20:13 states: And a man who lies (or lays) with a male as one lies with a woman, both of them have done a "to'ebah." "To'ebah" is translated as "abomination" and "detestable" in various English versions of the Bible. If one eats shrimp, lobster, or even catfish, according to what is in the books of Moses, one has done a "to'ebah." If one eats meat with cheese on it, one has done a "toebah." It was to'ebah to eat pork. So a bacon cheeseburger is a doubled to'ebah!" Modern Bible-thumping "Christians commit what the OT writers called "to'ebah" almost every day of their adult lives.  

Real men who are exclusively homosexual in their sexual orientation and are comfortable with that, i.e. gay, do not pretend that one of them is female in same-gender sexual activity as in the Leviticus' explanation. 

October 16, 2005, 5:20 pm CDT

Quoting part of a message

RE: Oh, btw, if you or anyone can tell me how to quote a portion rather than the entire quote, please advise." 

I am using Internet Explorer and when I want to just quote a part of what someone posts, I highlight it and then copy it, either by right-clicking my mouse or go up to "Edit" at the top of the Web Browser and use the "Copy" program under "Edit." Then I click on the Post a message above the messages here and when the whole thing shows up for me to write the message, I click on "Paste" either under "Edit" or right click in the place where I want to post the quote, making sure the cursor, that flashing "|" line is in the open box. 

October 16, 2005, 5:28 pm CDT

10/19 "I'm Gay, OK?"

i'm sorry i understand that everyone has their own life...But in my eyes and in god's eye it is a sin to be gay...That is why GOD made eve and adam..GOD did not make adam and adam or eve and eve...Yes the LORD loves everyone but one day you will have to explain to the lord why you live a certian why...Did you know my son jesus?..what did you do with him...it's call judement day!

October 16, 2005, 5:37 pm CDT

Bibles I use in Bible Study

Quote From: irishmom

I'm honestly not saying this to sound rude, but what Bible are you refering to in your statements?

I have a Hebrew Language Bible, the Masoretic text version of the Old Testament (it is like the original Hebrew except it has added "vowel" pronunciation points around the letters). The Hebrew language literally has no vowels; but, it has some consonants which are considered semi-vowels, in that they might be given a vowel pronunciation. Each Hebrew letter is literally as "syllable" which is like a consonant followed by a vowel sound; but, the vowel sound might not be used, especially if it is at the end of a word. At the time of Jesus, there were still no vowel points in the Hebrew Scriptures. 

I have the New Testament in two different Greek Versions. The one used by the KJV Bible and the Roman Catholic Bible is called the "Textus Receptus," "Text Received" in Latin. That translation is in the same Bible I own which has the Hebrew in the OT.  

The other Greek NT version, usually called the Nestle version, is the same version used by the Translators of the New International Version and also the update of that, which is called "Today's New International Version of the Bible.  

I also have Hebrew and Greek Dictionaries. I actually own several other English versions of the Bible. I used to have an RCC official Bible; but, I gave that to a friend who claimed to be Roman Catholic because he did not have a Bible.  

So, I am making reference to the Bible in the Original Language Texts, in most cases. Sometimes, the English translated words don't have any connection with the original Hebrew or Greek word. That is why I say that "sodomite" does not exist in either the Hebrew nor Greek texts of the Bible. There are no sodomites nor is there any sodomy mentioned in the original texts.  

October 16, 2005, 5:41 pm CDT

A Reminder....

Time to remind everyone that there is a person behind every screen name. Let's remember to address the topic without personally attacking another member because their views are different from yours. Let's try to keep this discussion progressing in the manner intended. Thanks.

October 16, 2005, 5:55 pm CDT

True Christians?

Quote From: insurpt

True Christians obey their Creator.

"Christian" was a hateful epithet (a word that substitutes for another word) that was created by the Greek-speeking pagans who lived in Antioch, Syria. The word was coined to mock those who preached about "The Christ" or more literally, "The Anointed" since "christ" means "anointed" in Greek. They made up the word after hearing Paul and Barnabus preaching about "The Anointed." (Oh, "Messiah" literally means "anointed.") 

The word "christian" is only used 3 times in the Bible; twice in the book of Acts and not by the followers of Jesus The Christ, who called themselves, "Believers" (or more literally "Faiths"). The other place the word appears is in 1 Peter 4:16. In that case, Peter is talking about those who are being made fun of and suffering because the mocking pagans are calling them "Christian."  

From Today's NIV 1 Peter 4:12-19 (bold words added for my interpretation according to context: 

12 Dear friends, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal that has come on you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. 13 But rejoice inasmuch as you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed. 14 If you are insulted because of the name of Christ, you are blessed, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you. 15 If you suffer, it should not be as a murderer or thief or any other kind of criminal, or even as a meddler. 16 However, if you suffer as a Christian (by being mockingly called "Christian"); do not be ashamed, but praise God that you bear that name. 17 For it is time for judgment to begin with God's household; and if it begins with us, what will the outcome be for those who do not obey the gospel of God? 18 And,
       "If it is hard for the righteous to be saved,
       what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?"  

19 So then, those who suffer according to God's will should commit themselves to their faithful Creator and continue to do good. 

October 16, 2005, 7:11 pm CDT

God Does Not Hate Gays

God does not hate gays, he hates SIN and homosexuality is just that.  We are not  born gay as many studies try to make one believe, we are however born into SIN and each of us have the opportunity to make a choice in following Satan or following God.   Many will perish because they choose to have their ears tickled with false doctrine and not follow the scriptures as laid out for every man, regardless of their race.  God is a loving God, but He will not allow SIN to enter the Kingdom of Heaven.   

It will be interesting to see what stand Dr. Phil takes on this, will it be from a medical stand point or what he truly believes in his heart or from the Bible.  Will Robin be able to have her opinion aired on this program?   

Some people watch television only to know how to live their lives, this is a big opportunity for Dr. Phil and others to not be critical of the lifestyles chosen by man, but to be able to show true Christian love and hand others the light of salvation and a way of holiness living for their lives. 

October 16, 2005, 7:35 pm CDT

Christians have have the Holy Spirit

Quote From: insurpt

True Christians obey their Creator.
We as christians have the Holy Spirit and it is the Holy Spirit that guides us.  If we are trully searching to do His will and not ours, the Holy Spirit will teach us and give us peace in each step we make.  We should concentrate in doing more His will.  If we are wrong, the Holy Spirit insists and guides us.  We should trust more in God, and let the Holy Spirit guides us.  Who are we to say we are without sin?  Or who are we to classify  which sin is greater or smaller.  To God it's all right or wrong.  We should have a humble and loving heart and search in doing His will and let Him work in our lives in an individual way. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last