Message Boards

Topic : 10/25 Deadly Injustice

Number of Replies: 540
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, October 20, 2005, 02:49:48 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

You never think that your family will be hurt by someone you know, let alone someone you once cared for. But that's exactly what happened to one family. The story begins in a small town in Oklahoma, a safe place just like any town in the heartland of America. Donna and Jerry dated for five years, but when Donna tried to break off the relationship, she could never have predicted the lengths to which Jerry would go to hurt her. This real life drama unfolds with horror and violence and unimaginable twists and turns, but ends with a message of hope. See what good Dr. Phil believes can come from an unthinkable tragedy. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More October 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 25, 2005, 11:20 am CDT

10/25 Deadly Injustice

Quote From: zesta1969

I just want the family to know that my heart goes out to you.  I was in an abusive relationship years ago before my son was born & I can't even wrap my brain around how it must feel to lose a child.  I hope everything you are trying to accomplish with the Kaitlin's law, works out the way it should.  I will do my part from here because I know for a fact that I want the same type of law to be available here.  Again, god bless you & hang in there.  You are in my prayers!

Thank you so much we appreciate your thoughts and prayers.  Losing a child is the worst thing that can happen to you.  You are broken before God and pray that He will sustain you through His Grace.   

Please visit our website to see how we are honoring Caitlin's life.   

Cindy Wooten 

Caitlin's StepMOM 

www.SpiritofCaitlin.org 

October 25, 2005, 11:20 am CDT

nursie1992

Quote From: nursie1992

mj,  

I was also married 14 1/2 years.  

When we have to beg for our lives the only person that knows that kind of fear is the people  that have had to live it. 

When you try to tell someone they just ask why didn't you leave him. It seems so simple to them. 

They weren't there, they didn't see, they didn't fear, they don't understand.  

Then you say to yourself, Why bother  and tell anyone anymore they don't understand they weren't there and I'm really tired of trying to explain it to them, I feel more Judged than anything. and then you keep it all inside and the person has in one way accomplished what he set out to do. A part of you is gone and the part that is gone is what they don't understand.  

I am sorry that you had to go through that kind of fear. 

I am sorry that a young girl had to die to let people know that when a man is threating a woman that it's not always just a threat.  

My little girl was 12 @ the end of our marriage. She had seen him pull the shot gun on me (first time). Second time she didn't see it. It was a pistol do not know what kind. But he had never hurt her and she loved him so very much. In our state at they allowed them at 12 to chose which parent they wanted to live with and she chose her father.  

He turned her against me with lies and till this day she will rarely have anything to do with me. 

He even talked her into hitting me so  I would hit her back and he could get me for Child Abuse. 

She hit me in the right hand one day until blood was dripping from my hand with a ring that was on her finger. The only thing i could do was Cry. Not from pain in my hand but pain in my heart. 

I had to leave the state and move to another one. 

I am glad you didn't die at the hands of that man.  

Maybe, Just maybe someone will listen now and not just judge. 

were not weak, were scared.  

Thanks for your reply. 

nursie1992  

That is so horrible and sad! Makes me so angry that he 

could do that to your daughter. 

I think that sometimes people don't understand too because 

for me I minimized things. He never hit me and I never thought 

that he would ever hurt me, because it is such a gradual 

process sometimes, you know subtle. 

After the gun incident I was still in some sort of denial, I guess. 

But you see so many women that are killed by men that never hit them 

either. My ex never hit me but he raped me and belittled me. 

I couldn't have friends or go anywhere. No contact with my family 

or anything. But he could have affairs and go wherever whenever 

he wanted. 

It is just so scary to think of what could have happened to us. 

Maybe your daughter will someday get her own wings and 

reach out to you and learn the truth. That is so sad :(! 

You are right we were not weak we were scared to death! 

mj 

October 25, 2005, 11:24 am CDT

10/25 Deadly Injustice

Quote From: ashrout

God, please grant peace into these grieving hearts, these grieving souls. I have and will continue to pray for you, who loved Catlin. My heart is with you. 

How can I get Catlin's Law started in my own state, before tragedy happens? 

Thank you so much for your prayers of support they are the only things that help at all.   

Please visit our website www.SpiritofCaitlin.org to learn how you can help us with Caitlin's Law.  You can contact your state government to find out how the laws are written in your state.   

Cindy 

Caitlin's StepMOM  

October 25, 2005, 11:28 am CDT

Deadly Injustice

Quote From: acd2005

I am so sorry about this terrible tragedy.  Legislation needs to be passed for these unstable criminals, although these single parents should shoulder a tremendous responsibility themselves.  Divorce is so rampant in this country and there are many single parents out there.  When you have children, those children's welfare should come first.  That means parents need to consider long and hard about the individuals that they expose there children to.  This character had a history of problems dating way back and I find it impossible to believe that this guy was a "good" moral role model during the several years this mother was dating this guy.   

This mother paid the ultimate sacrifice for her poor judgement in allowing this man into her family's lives.  Nothing said could lesson the pain, but not only does the message of abuse laws need to be told, but also the message of the responsibilities of single parents and the choices in the characters they expose their families to.  Children should come before parents attractions. 

Linda, Milledgeville, GA 

Please don't start placing blame on the mother; she probably had no idea about her boyfriend's past until after the reign of terror began and the police got involved. I'm sure that had she'd known, she would have put a lot of distance between him and her. It is quite possible that he carefully seduced her emotionally until he had secured her trust, then made it almost impossible for her to leave him. That's how a lot of abusers are so successful at terrorizing others for so long.

October 25, 2005, 11:36 am CDT

10/25 Deadly Injustice

Quote From: frauswartz

I just watched the show and I want to say how sorry I am that this horrible tragedy happened.  I can only imagine how painful this has been for your family.  I am from Oklahoma and I have family living in Ada.  My cousins attended Ada High School.  I know how the community can be affected when something tragic happens.  I am sure that in the weeks to come the support will help you.  I know that Dr. Phil will have great advice for you on how to survive and come together as a family.   I just want you to know that I for one will be spending this afternoon writing letters and finding out what I can do to help change the laws in Oklahoma so that this type of injustice doesn't have to hurt anyone else.  I wish you all the best.

Thank you so much for your condolences.  The people in Ada are some of the BEST PEOPLE IN THE WHOLE WORLD!  We have support coming from some unexpected places.   

Please visit www.SpiritofCaitlin.org to learn about what her Daddy and I are doing to honor Caitlin's life.  ON the site there is a link to the Oklahoma state legislature.  All you have to do is hit the link and you can go to Senator Paddack's email. 

Thanks for your help and your thougths for our family. 

Cindy Wooten 

Caitlin's StepMOM 

October 25, 2005, 11:52 am CDT

Error

Quote From: mjkkas

I get the same message that is there is an error. 

Sorry,  maybe it is just me, but I just copy and paste 

the link and I get this error. 

I just tried to get into www.SpiritofCaitlin.org it will not open. 

October 25, 2005, 11:58 am CDT

Take Action!

After watching today's show, Deadly Injustice, I immediately sent an e-mail to my U. S. Congressman and U. S. Senator asking them to take the necessary action to put into law, Caitlin's Law.  I predict that there  will be many against this law, for fear the perpetrator's civil liberties will be endangered.   I for one, am willing to go to any length to have this become a nationwide law and as soon as feasibly possible. 

If you want to make a real difference in society you must be willing to take the necessary legal action locally and globally. 

Norma, Hendersonville, N. C. 

October 25, 2005, 12:03 pm CDT

Deadly Injustice

Quote From: golden1

Please don't start placing blame on the mother; she probably had no idea about her boyfriend's past until after the reign of terror began and the police got involved. I'm sure that had she'd known, she would have put a lot of distance between him and her. It is quite possible that he carefully seduced her emotionallyuntil he had secured her trust, then made it almost impossible for her to leave him. That's how a lot of abusers are so successful at terrorizing others for so long.

Donna has another daughter that needs her. 

Donna I'm sure blames herself enough and she shouldn't. 

She did not pull the trigger. 

She is not guilty of her childs death. 

I hope that they will remain strong. 

Helping each other to get through this place that is  

so dark and cold. 

My prayer is for peace for the entire family. 

October 25, 2005, 12:10 pm CDT

Corrrection of the Caitlin web address:

Quote From: jfabian

The correct site address is:  http://www.spiritofcaitlin.org/ 

There is a slash at the end of the website address; instead of a period.  

Thanks! 

October 25, 2005, 12:14 pm CDT

www.SpiritofCaitlin.org

Quote From: jfabian

Try http://www.spiritofcaitlin.org.  It is a brand new site and hasn't been indexed yet by the search engines. 

Van Wooten 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last