Message Boards

Topic : 10/25 Deadly Injustice

Number of Replies: 540
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, October 20, 2005, 02:49:48 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

You never think that your family will be hurt by someone you know, let alone someone you once cared for. But that's exactly what happened to one family. The story begins in a small town in Oklahoma, a safe place just like any town in the heartland of America. Donna and Jerry dated for five years, but when Donna tried to break off the relationship, she could never have predicted the lengths to which Jerry would go to hurt her. This real life drama unfolds with horror and violence and unimaginable twists and turns, but ends with a message of hope. See what good Dr. Phil believes can come from an unthinkable tragedy. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More October 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 13, 2005, 9:11 am CST

My apologies

Quote From: kstwin64

"Iodine:  

Your reply is not only intriguing, it's cryptic.    

Is there some dark secret in Ada, OKthat even the death of a blossoming 16 year old's death won't allow to be uncovered?   

How sad.   

If such is the case, it would seem the show's title might more appropriately be "Deadly Secret."   

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Iodine: 

I wrote that to you on 10/30 (5:26PM). 

I am not clairvoyant nor omniscient, but somehow, the way your message resonated then to me, let me reply in the way I did, and even use the word "cryptic."

And now the support reported in the news article for Faye Sliva really makes me wonder if some people almost revel, or have achieved some sense of "raison d' etre" in the role of   "aggrieved victim." And that may be the "cryptic" I imagined. 

Definitely now, I still have the same sympathy for young Caitlin, but now I have definitely NOT lost faith in the Justice System in OK.

But I have lost faith in the "good" people of Ada who are letting this travesty go on by their silence, and who probably will continue to wring their hands and cry out and say "If only... ."

The latest tragedy appears to be a Judge's knee-jerk reaction to not allowing bail.

Talk about a world upside down.

Until that newspaper article, I was under the impression that Sliga was beneath contempt.

And no one in Ada seemed to hold him in any higher regard, and if such as was conveyed thru this message board was inaccurate about his character no one spoke up for him. 

I could perhaps see family as "staying out of the fray," but all the others... ?

Shame.

I've seen this phrase: Unanswered questions are not necessarily just silent sounds, they instead may contain eloquent unuttered volumes. 

My apologies to Mr. Sliger.  

My post kept not getting posted (see blank post under my name) and I also misspelled his name and spellcheck wouldn't pick such an error.  

The spacing is distracting but try as I might I couldn'r get the program not to do it's own
"magical" separation of spaces. 

November 28, 2005, 6:57 am CST

Donna fled to Tulsa to new boyfriend?

I notice in one of the Oklahoma papers that Donna's new BF (old school classmate) was from Tulsa....could this be the reason she fled to Tulsa leaving her total family in harm's way?

January 2, 2006, 7:16 pm CST

My Heart goes out to you!

I would like to say how sorry I am for your loss.  I (fortunately) can not imagine what you are going through.  You see I am also a victim of domestic violence.  (Someone once told me that I should consider myself a "survivor",  but I do not yet feel like I have survived anything).  I actually got a call from a domestic violence counselor about your show.  She has seen it in the morning and called me to tell me to watch it.  I feel like that was the first "real" emotional collapse that I had.  You see I was also attached and held against my will while my attacker (my ex-boyfriend) beat and brutalized me.  He told me that when he was done with me he was going to go after my boys.  I know that in the time that I was in his apartment (which I later found out was almost an hour), I actually saw my boys lives passing before my eyes.  But I also know that I begged him not to hurt my kids.  But I knew that if he did kill me, that my boys would be next.  I still do not quite know how exactly I got out of that house, but somehow I did.  My story again mirroring yours,  My attacker was FINALLY picked up about 7 hours after the attack.  He thankfully did not get to my kids.  The local police and my family were well aware of his intentions and were able to intervien.  But after a 3 hour police standoff he WAS taken into custody.  But just like the justice system in Oklahoma, Florida issues a bond on every case except for murder.  So.........  He was initially given a $100,000. bond.  Alot for him, but not for his wealthy family.  The state attorney was able to atleast have one of the charges raised from False imprisonment to Kidnapping.  Which is a federal offense and we were able to have the bond raised to $250,000.  within a couple of days.  But I live every day in fear of the day that he gets out and finishes what he started.  Isnt it ironic that we can actually be so terrified of the people that we once loved more than almost anything?.  This attack happend August 23rd, 2005 and as of todays date, we are still getting yanked around in courts.  I have no clue when or what the end of my situation will be, but now know that I (and my kids) are atleast ok for now.  I cannot express how many times I wrote this letter and erased it.  People have many times said to me since then that "things happen for a reason".  I do not believe that for you nor myself.  What could the reason have been for you to lose your precious daughter?  Or for me to live the rest of my life in fear?  I would love to correspond with you and find out how you are.  Please!!!

April 6, 2006, 9:04 pm CDT

Touched By Caitlin's Story...

I am an Australian and we are lucky enough to be able to view the Dr Phil show.  Unfortunately, the episodes are delayed, so this particular story was only viewed by us today - April 7th, 2006.  I was both sadened and angered when I saw this story as I have been close to a similar situation.  Although luckily enough, no-one was seriously harmed in that particular situation (or at least not physically).  I know all too well how easily the justice system can fail the victims and protect the criminals.  My cousin was in a relationship which eventually turned violent, and she became his slave, punching bag (both physically and verbally), and basically his tool for making himself feel bigger, better and tougher than anyone else.  She was too afraid to leave him that he would hunt her down and kill her, so she stayed.  Eventually she fell pregnant.  While she was pregnant he would pin her up against a wall and punch her continually in the stomach, whilst telling her that she was pathetic and unlovable and that no one else could ever want the kind of person she was.  It was a miracle the day her baby was born, a healthy and happy little baby girl.  It was then she decided to leave.  When she did, the verbal abuse dramatically increased, as did the threat for her safety.  She would receive calls at all hrs of the day and night, threatening to kill her and stating that he knew where she was and who she was with.  He would always turn up in places she went and told her he'd take their daughter away from her, or worse.  He contacted authorities and tried to make her seem like an unfit mother so that she would have her daughter taken away - she was constantly terrified that he would abduct their daughter the minute he had the chance.  And what did the justice system offer her to keep her and her daughter safe?  An A4 sheet of paper called a Domestic Violence Order, stating that he wasn't allowed to come within a certain distance from her or her family.  However, he was still allowed access to their child!  Absurd!  She now has a wonderful new partner who loves and protects her and her daughter like they are the most precious treasures that have ever been bestowed upon him.  The monster of an ex-boyfriend appears to be fearful of her new partner and for that we are grateful, as the threats have stopped and her self-confidence (which he had almost totally destroyed) improves every single day.  I still feel the law failed my cousin and that the only reason she is now safe is thanks to her new man, just as it failed Donna and Caitlin and their family.  A beautiful young girl paid with her life because whoever wrote the law books, got it so wrong.  The fact that she was only 16 is even more tragic due to the things that she will never get to experience in life, and the person responsible for taking those things away from her, took the cowards way out so he wouldn't have to pay for his crime.  Why let a person who so obviously wasn't normal, just walk out of a mental hospital, without giving him some serious help?  Then, to make things worse, just 30 hrs after he has held a gun to another human being's head, why let him walk free from his jail cell??  People like this man and my cousin's ex - they should not be allowed to co-exist on the streets with the rest of us.  It's time the law recognised and protected the victims, and dealt appropriately with those who only seek to destroy the lives of people living around them.... 

April 6, 2006, 9:49 pm CDT

deadly injustice

Hi there i have just watched the show on caitlin's abduction and murder (it has only just aired in australia). I dont think i have ever been touched as much as i did watching this show. it absolutely appalled me and sickened me to think that there is humans in this world that can be so sick and so cruel as to take such an innocent life. To caitlins family and friends i just wanted to say i really feel for you and your loss and i think it is absolutely fantastic that you can deal with your own grief as well as take on the fight for changes in the law so that another family does not have to suffer like you have. i just hope that one day you will find peace and all that will remain are the happy times that remind you of caitlin.

May 12, 2006, 9:25 am CDT

update on Caitlin's law

I hope that many of you who have been interested in the Caitlin Wooten story and the proposal of Caitlin's law are still visiting this website to check for updated information on the story. Caitlin's law passed in Oklahoma and was signed into law on May 9, 2006 by Governor Brad Henry.   

Caitlin,  your death was not in vain!!!  Your life was about loving and helping others and now your death will help others also!!! We love and miss you sooo much but this good thing has come from your death and we know that you had an extra smile and glow in Heaven on May 9, 2006! You were greatly loved here on earth and we will never forget you!!!!  

July 17, 2006, 7:19 am CDT

Deadly Injustice

I have just watched the show here in te Netherlands. 

I cried my eyes out, what happened to this family is terrible! 

To Caitlin's family and friends I want to say I really feel for you.. 

March 8, 2007, 6:03 pm CST

Faye Sliger's sentence

Faye Sligher's intial trial ended in a mistrial due one juror. The new trial was to start 03-05-07. Sliger made a deal he pleaded GUILTY OF KIDNAPPING and they dropped the murder charge. The sentencing was today 09-08-07. He got a 10 year sentence with 8 1/2 years suspended and time served and is free today. More injustice in a small town. This man served a little over a year in the county jail for kidnapping and assisting in a murder of a young girl and today he is free. She is dead, her family have had her taken from their lives here on earth forever and he is free!!! Good Lord where is the justice!!!!

March 12, 2007, 11:10 pm CDT

10/25 Deadly Injustice

Quote From: cgmom2

Faye Sligher's intial trial ended in a mistrial due one juror. The new trial was to start 03-05-07. Sliger made a deal he pleaded GUILTY OF KIDNAPPING and they dropped the murder charge. The sentencing was today 09-08-07. He got a 10 year sentence with 8 1/2 years suspended and time served and is free today. More injustice in a small town. This man served a little over a year in the county jail for kidnapping and assisting in a murder of a young girl and today he is free. She is dead, her family have had her taken from their lives here on earth forever and he is free!!! Good Lord where is the justice!!!!

We kept faithfully waiting for whatever justice could be wroght on earhch.  Caitlin's friends and familiy was violated once again.  Judge Landrith allowed the convicted felon to get up in that witness box and tell us that he would have switched places with Caitlin if he could.  This is right after he pleasd guilty to knowng about the kidnapping.  So that meant he know about the kidnapping for at least 3 weeks.  Then the day of Caitlins murder he talked to Jerry at 3:05 just a couple of miknutes after Jerry has Caitlin in the truch. 

So at this point he had three weeks to help Caitlin.  N ow on the date of the event the clock starts ticking down the last few minutes of Caitlit's life on earth.  Only Jerry Savage and Faye Sliger know whats going to happen.  So what Faye Sliger did was not whta any normal person would do such as:

• Call 911 - Hey my friend took my truck and he has a kid! or may have a kid
  • Call Ada City Police directly - I heard an Amer alert and my friend might have the girl, let me lead you to my property, he might be there
  • Or even show up at the police station since he know the Ada city Police Department was looking for him through friends, girlfriends, his wife and his son

But what he actually did was talk to Savage multiple times between 3:00 and 4:17.  Right up until Caitlin was killed.  He didn't make any effort to get law enforcement help.  He didn't arm himself with any of the weapons he professeedd to have in order to leap into help Caitlin.  What he did was get his druig ravaged girlfriend to get him to drive to the prpoperty and pick up the truck. 

Do you believe that was becasue he knew Jerry wasn't going to be driving it or anything else EVER again.  What if Caitlin had managed to get away from Jerry and run.  She wouldn't have a vehicle to get anywhere!  Then for the rest of the night he denied knowing where Caitlin was.  So that was a night of pure hell for the family.  We don't know where Caitlin is.  We know Jerry took her and we know he was pissed and was ready to kill.  Then we knew too much time had passed.  Still Sliger wouldn't tell us anything.  Caitlin was  left to bleed to death in a field all alone.  None of us could even be there and feel her body warm.  

So that's the Faye Sliger conviced felon who served 529 days in Pontotoc County jail for kidnapping. 

Is anyone safe in Ada

Cindy Wooten

May 22, 2007, 6:24 pm CDT

Read John Grisham's book

Quote From: kstwin64

"Iodine:  

Your reply is not only intriguing, it's cryptic.    

Is there some dark secret in Ada, OKthat even the death of a blossoming 16 year old's death won't allow to be uncovered?   

How sad.   

If such is the case, it would seem the show's title might more appropriately be "Deadly Secret."   

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Iodine: 

I wrote that to you on 10/30 (5:26PM). 

I am not clairvoyant nor omniscient, but somehow, the way your message resonated then to me, let me reply in the way I did, and even use the word "cryptic."

And now the support reported in the news article for Faye Sliva really makes me wonder if some people almost revel, or have achieved some sense of "raison d' etre" in the role of   "aggrieved victim." And that may be the "cryptic" I imagined. 

Definitely now, I still have the same sympathy for young Caitlin, but now I have definitely NOT lost faith in the Justice System in OK.

But I have lost faith in the "good" people of Ada who are letting this travesty go on by their silence, and who probably will continue to wring their hands and cry out and say "If only... ."

The latest tragedy appears to be a Judge's knee-jerk reaction to not allowing bail.

Talk about a world upside down.

Until that newspaper article, I was under the impression that Sliga was beneath contempt.

And no one in Ada seemed to hold him in any higher regard, and if such as was conveyed thru this message board was inaccurate about his character no one spoke up for him. 

I could perhaps see family as "staying out of the fray," but all the others... ?

Shame.

I've seen this phrase: Unanswered questions are not necessarily just silent sounds, they instead may contain eloquent unuttered volumes. 

Seriously, you need to go read John Grisham's book. The CITIZENS of our town are NOT the problem, it goes directly to our "JUSTICE" system, if you want to call it that. We have corrupt cops, DA's and judges. The people aren't the problem. The problem is, quite frankly, the people who are supposed to be protecting us.

First | Prev | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | Next Page | Last Page