Message Boards

Topic : 12/27 Extreme Parenting

Number of Replies: 205
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, October 20, 2005, 02:56:10 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Airdate: 10/27/05) Parents want the best life for their kids and often go to great lengths to make that happen.But what happens when they get so demanding, they end up hurting the children they love? Michael says his wife, Anna, is so consumed by her dream of having their 7-year-old son become a cheerleader that it’s taking over their lives. Will Anna put her son's pompoms to rest? Then, a father hides a tracking device in his son’s car and gets more than he bargained for! Plus, Nathan and Julie’s marriage is on the rocks because they disagree over his military style discipline of her 12-year-old daughter. Is Nathan’s drill sergeant parenting done out of love or for another reason? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More December 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 28, 2005, 12:38 am CST

emotional Bully

I am glad Julie got out of that relationship. He was definitely an emotional bully and abusive. That is no relationship - it is one angry person taking it out on the others. My mother was very similar to that where she was always verbally attacking and criticizing and nothing was right no matter what. She was LIKE a drill sargeant and after 18 yrs. of growing up with that and then the adult years of coping with them as an adult and once you have your own family is tough . Then there is something wrong with the person doing it not the ones it is directed at. An angry person will always find something to take it out on unless they get some help and deal with the source of their anger. I just wonder , can people like Nathan ever change, or do they just escalate into violence? She was smart to get away especially if he treated her the same way as her daughter. Interesting he picks on a young girl and his wife. These kind probably wouldn't pick on some big dude at work or other places that might be able to strike back  or let them have it.

December 28, 2005, 12:10 pm CST

Name of Chip for monitoring driving habits

Does anyone know the name of the monitoring device that was talked about on the show?  

Any help would be appreciated. 

March 2, 2006, 9:49 am CST

12/27 Extreme Parenting

Quote From: atlswan

I think you had every right to be concerned about your son. I was in shock reading your post about how his friend drove so recklessly...especially when he knew you were watching! I applaude you for stepping up and laying down the law. 

I guess what really blew my mind was the friend's response about how driving 100 mph was "nothing" and that "if it's your time to go, it's your time." OH MY GOSH! Did he really believe that or was he trying to act cool for the camera? Surely he doesn't want his parents to attend his funeral so early in his life. Geez... 

I guess I shouldn't be surprised since young people for decades have thought they were going to live forever and nothing could hurt them. Heck, I felt that way myself to a point. It's one thing to drive like a freak but as Dr. Phil pointed out, it is usually other innocent drivers that pay the price for this. Also, it's been proven time and again that the teenage brain does not have the matuirty of a driver in their 20s. Their judgement isn't quite there yet. That's why I think teenage driving should be fairly limited, especially at night. My niece started driving this year and she sticks close to home. 

WHERE DO I GET ONE???

August 12, 2006, 7:12 am CDT

12/27 Extreme Parenting

Quote From: zapatasred

I am glad Julie got out of that relationship. He was definitely an emotional bully and abusive. That is no relationship - it is one angry person taking it out on the others. My mother was very similar to that where she was always verbally attacking and criticizing and nothing was right no matter what. She was LIKE a drill sargeant and after 18 yrs. of growing up with that and then the adult years of coping with them as an adult and once you have your own family is tough . Then there is something wrong with the person doing it not the ones it is directed at. An angry person will always find something to take it out on unless they get some help and deal with the source of their anger. I just wonder , can people like Nathan ever change, or do they just escalate into violence? She was smart to get away especially if he treated her the same way as her daughter. Interesting he picks on a young girl and his wife. These kind probably wouldn't pick on some big dude at work or other places that might be able to strike back  or let them have it.

8-12

I'm a 52-year old woman. I've been told I'm very intelligent, articulate and talented in many ways. I've been tested as having an IQ of 114. Yet I've had a work history with one failure after another all my adult life. This past year alone I've had 4 jobs, the shortest one lasting 3 days. I don't feel worthy of having success, and if people tell me I'm doing well, I feel like a fraud. Don't they realize what a screw-up I am ?  Working with a therapist, it  comes down to having had a drill sergeant (literally) for a father. I still feel like some kind of a defective retard who doesn't know how to wipe my won fanny or do anything right. I can't deal with criticism or stress or conflict and will go to great lengths to avoid it. I feel like I can't cope in the working world and pull my own weight. My dad created a home atmosphere where everyone walked on eggshells every waking moment, and we were constantly admonished to "not make Daddy mad" or "Daddy won't like this" or the favorite--"Wait till your father gets home." I'd like to tell this mother this kind of upbringing can leave scars that will hamper and hurt her child for a lifetime. She's doing the right thing to protect her daughter (and herself) and  get out of such a destructive and toxic atmosphere. Everyone loses his temper and has arguments sometimes, but it shouldn't be a constant ongoing thing!
Thanks for listening--Tina , Tucson, AZ

August 12, 2006, 7:23 am CDT

12/27 Extreme Parenting

Quote From: whitney74

i agree with you. at least, the STEPFATHER IS TAKING AN INTEREST IN HIS STEPDAUGHTER. IT IS obvious that he wants her to be a better person than she is now. she and the mother both are lucky that some man took them in and not only helped support her financially, but helped to discipline her as well. so many times, we hear of stories were the stepfather has no interest whatsoever in the mother's child/ren. i am wondering though, where is this girl's real father? is he still in her life? i think nathan was made to look like a bad guy too.

8-12

To whoever wrote this reply:

Nathan IS a bad guy--no one had to make him "look" like one, he did a great job of it on his own! It's not right to think it's ok  to be so abusive because he's taking care of the mom and daughter financially--that makes her seem like some kind of whore! There's a reason "pick on someone your own size" is a cliche! Even without pysical abuse, this kind of bullying does damage for a lifetime. There is no justification for it!!

TQ

First | Prev | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | Next Page | Last Page