Message Boards

Topic : 06/30 Addicts Transformed

Number of Replies: 302
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, October 20, 2005, 03:02:09 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 10/28/05) Being a mom is hard enough, but imagine juggling soccer, PTA meetings, homework and carpools all while trying to cover up a secret life of drug addiction. Dr. Phil follows up with some moms who say they were junkies. Joani, a mother of two, couldn't get through a half hour without shooting up -- and she was a nurse in a drug rehabilitation center! It's been six months -- how is she now? Then, Stephanie was addicted to Vicodin and took 60 times the recommended dosage every day. She's been clean for four months, but now has a new problem. Plus, a viewer inspired by Stephanie checks herself into rehab. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 28, 2005, 10:05 am CDT

Applause

Quote From: dhuntwy

I think it's wrong so many parents put their children on drugs for ADHD to  make life easier on themselves and teachers. What is this family thinking when they are now causing a drug addiction in their son. I find it appalling that this family has addiction problems and they are  now  starting their son on the same drug as the mom was addicted too. My son was diagnosed with ADHD years ago. I chose not  to give him medication.  He did require more parenting than my daughter. In the end, he graduated and now is in college, without drugs.
Great!!!  My daughter has not been diagnosed but I have noticed and the teachers have noticed that she does not stay on task and is easily distracted and has trouble remembering everyday tasks.  I have decided to try some natural steps to help her and yes she does take more time than my son but at least she will not be on a mind altering drug for the next many years to come

October 28, 2005, 10:18 am CDT

10/28 Addicts Transformed

Quote From: pattonlady

Hi Mary, 

I know it has got to be tough......have you tried social services to see if there are any programs that might help your family?  I am not talking about "going on welfare" but there are alot of programs to help you, even temporarily,  from free school lunches to help with your heat bill. I don't know about your state, but maybe you could make some calls and just find out- it is worth a try! 

Good luck to you! 

There are programs to help, it is tough to get it and it seems like a never ending line of questions.  As for your husband he needs to get off his behind and help you.  You can't drag dead weight around forever and not get down yourself.  Listen to Shania Twain - Black Eyes Blue Tears - you may not be in an abusive relationship physical but are you in a mentally abusive relationship, and is there a difference.  Listen to the song to the very last words - Find your self-esteem and be forever free to dream.  As my sister once told me - he can get up and move forward with you or he can stay where he is - you can't drag him.  He has to want to.  Best of Luck 

Amie 

October 28, 2005, 10:20 am CDT

You are not the only one.

Quote From: carabarber

I was treated by Florida Detox - not only are they able to provide a detox - they also seek to find the underlying problem that causes cravings.  Usually it is due to the brain not producing enough dopamine, serotonin or glutomate.  A simple test they offer can answer this for you.  Once the reason is understood it can be treated with the right medication.  Dr. Sponaugle is fantastic and he and his medical team will work hard to make sure you no longer have to suffer and, believe it or not, you will enjoy life again!  I was in your shoes and now I'm doing much better - after only a month!! 

Good luck to you! 

Cara 

You are not the only one who has these cravings daily. My boyfriend which was recovering for about 2 years relapsed. I have known him for 9 years and never would give him the time of day because I was not into drugs and drinking like he was. Anyway, he was clean for 2 years and like I said he relapsed. I do not understand but he tells me he thinks about it everyday and craves it and thats why he relasped. He is or was, not sure anymore, addicted to Meth. They say its the worse drug to be addicted to. I do not know or really understand but I do know you are not the only one with this problem everyday.

October 28, 2005, 10:22 am CDT

It's tough

Hi Dr Phil 

I am a 53 year old woman living in the most beautiful place ... the Black Hills National Forest in South Dakota.  I watched your show today...with my heart in my throat.  I have been a drug addict and alcoholic since I was 14.  That's almost 40 years.  It has been a long hard road.  I have been clean from narcotics (pain killers, heroin) for about 5 years.  I still drink.  I have been an addict for so long, I don't know what else to do.  I don't want to drink but I do.  I have a horrible time staying focused for any length of time.  I am bad at making any kind of decision.  I was tested for adult ADD but was told that wasn't the problem.  I have been in treatment 4 times, went to NA/AA meetings (they didn't do much for me), so I have basically struggled with this crap by myself.  I am married (27 years) to a functioning alcoholic...he works everyday.  But he drinks every night and every weekend.  Dr. Phil, my story is so long and boring.  I guess what I want to know is how do I go from being this way all my life to someone that is a better me?  I don't know how.   

Thanks for listening. 

October 28, 2005, 10:40 am CDT

Please call Florida Detox

Quote From: marylu52

Hi Dr Phil 

I am a 53 year old woman living in the most beautiful place ... the Black Hills National Forest in South Dakota.  I watched your show today...with my heart in my throat.  I have been a drug addict and alcoholic since I was 14.  That's almost 40 years.  It has been a long hard road.  I have been clean from narcotics (pain killers, heroin) for about 5 years.  I still drink.  I have been an addict for so long, I don't know what else to do.  I don't want to drink but I do.  I have a horrible time staying focused for any length of time.  I am bad at making any kind of decision.  I was tested for adult ADD but was told that wasn't the problem.  I have been in treatment 4 times, went to NA/AA meetings (they didn't do much for me), so I have basically struggled with this crap by myself.  I am married (27 years) to a functioning alcoholic...he works everyday.  But he drinks every night and every weekend.  Dr. Phil, my story is so long and boring.  I guess what I want to know is how do I go from being this way all my life to someone that is a better me?  I don't know how.   

Thanks for listening. 

Please call Florida Detox - they have a true understanding of brain function and work with the top ADD/ADHD doctors.  They have a simple test that will help you find the reason for your lack of focus and need to self medicate.  They are amazing people and have the ability to change your life forever - they have done this for me.  Please just give them a call - you'll be amazed! 

God Bless! 

Cara 

October 28, 2005, 10:49 am CDT

RSD

Quote From: steph_ny

I agree with Dede7007.  There are many people who are suffering from pain that do not get the medications that they need and deserve.  Doctors are hesitant to prescribe many medications because of their potential for abuse - regardless of the patient's need.   

I know because it happened to me.  In February 2002 I was involved in a car accident.  Another driver ran a Stop sign and t-boned the truck I was driving.  My truck spun almost 180 degrees and landed on the driver's side.  I was banged up but managed to walk away from the accident counting my blessings.  In the months and years that followed the pain in my left rib cage did not go away and actually became worse.  I was told to take Advil (ibuprofen) and rest.  I was subjected to various tests and scans and the was told that there was not a physiological reason for my pain.   

I was prescribed a mild pain reliever, and was told to check back in in 3 months.  The pain got worse.  I was finally referred to a Rehab Doctor who eventually upped the dosage on my medication and received trigger-point injections.  They helped a little, but the pain continued to get worse and began to spread.  To date it has spread to both of my arms, my neck, and my left leg.   

To make an already long story short; two and a half years after the accident I was diagnosed with RSD (CRPS) by Dr Charles Hodge at University Hospital in Syracuse.  I was then referred to a pain clinic.  Unfortunately by that time, I had lost my home and my business because of my inability to work full time because my pain was not under control.  

The point of the story is two-fold;  

1).  The fact that my doctors were afraid to prescribe drugs that were powerful enough to control/manage my pain because of their fear of my possible addiction, and;. 

2).  The misdiagnosis of a condition that may have been able to be cured if discovered in a timely manner. 

In any case,  I have to take some very powerful drugs to control my pain.  I am not an addict, and frankly I hate taking these drugs, and take them only when necessary.  The side effects are enough to make anyone stop taking them.  But without them, pain takes over every waking moment of my life rendering me useless and depressed.   

I applaud those who have beat their addiction, its got to be one of the hardest things to do, but let's remember their is another side and that everyone who takes these medications is not an addict.   

I know what you are going through.  My son was misdiagnosed for months after have a torn achilles tendon.  His pain was so bad and all they were doing was giving him vicodin.  It is terrible to watch a young vibrant boy have a drug-glazed look on his face. He had just turned 18 when he was injured and I saw him go from an active football playing teenager to one in a wheelchair.  We finally got the diagnoses of RSD and were referred to a wonderful doctor who had my son in the hospital within days trying a spinal cord implant. Unfortunately that didn't work so they went in and did a thermal nerve burn in the spinal region and three days later he was walking!!  There are doctors out there to help.  Don't give up.  I am sorry that it took them so long to diagnose you.  I realize that we are very lucky to get a diagnosis so early, but it almost wasn't soon enough.  My son was told that if the last procedure didn't work, he was going to lose his leg to amputation.  Praise God for doctors that don't give up. 

October 28, 2005, 10:56 am CDT

Me Too!

Quote From: marylu52

Hi Dr Phil 

Thanks for listening. 

Marylu, your message was important for me to see today after I watched the show.  Don't know exactly where you are, but I too live in the beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota!!  Rapid City, to be exact.  You and I are similar in age - I'll be 52 next April.  I am in recovery from prescription narcotic addiction since July 13, 2002.  I was given the dope from docs who treated me for a chronic pain condition.  The narcs ruined my life.  Now that I have been stereotyped as a lunatic junkie, my career has suffered as well.  I am blessed to have a wonderful, supportive husband who has always been stone cold sober all his life.  What's worked for me is:  I don't use alcohol.  Too close to the feeling the narcs gave me.  I went to therapy to work on my self-esteem, stress management, and overcoming depression.  Although I did not become an addict until my 40's, I clearly recall that even in my 20's I craved the mellow feeling I got from recreational use of barbituates and tranquilizers.  I've learned that I need to be myself, and solve my problems without the use of a substance.  I CAN do it, and SO CAN YOU.  What's eerie is that, just like the first guest on the show today, I too am an addiciton counselor - I was in the profession LONG before I myself became an addict.  I thought I was safe - it wouldn't happen to me because I wouldn't let it.  But it DID happen to me, no matter how many fancy credentials I have after my name.  Alcohol and other drug abuse is an equal opportunity destroyer, and in my arrogance. I fell.  My message to you today is one of hope - there is no such thing as an addiction that cannot go into complete remission if you work at it hard enough.  I suggest that you and your husband have a sincere discussion about his drinking - if he loves you an values your sobriety, he will stop.  I've learned that addicts like us crucify ourselves between two thieves - regret for the past, and fear for the future.  Don't be afraid to move forward!  You CAN recover! 

:)Siobahn 

October 28, 2005, 11:00 am CDT

Quote From: nanciwest

I think your "tweekmama" signature says it all!  If you don't need to say you are addicted, but if it helps you get through the day... I'd say you have a BIG problem.  My son wasn't too bad for the first 10 years of being a "tweeker"  It was the next 10 years that took a toll on his brain.  He is now in prison.  During those first 10 years, I thought he could turn it around... but he choose to continue down the path, into a world I never imagined would exist for him. 

You are kidding yourself if you think you don't have a problem.  I'm sure the reason you wrote in the first place is because deep down you KNOW something is wrong.  You "snap at your kids" and you husband "don't know".  Sounds like a recipe for disaster.   

GET SOME HELP NOW WHILE YOU STILL HAVE BRAIN CELLS AVAILABLE! 

You cannot be a "super Mom" on crank!!!  Take it from someone who knows.  I have been clean for 11 years now but once thought I couldn't make it through the day without my " vitamin C".  I thought I was getting so much accomplished but then I would sleep for days and the whole cycle of cleaning and organizing would start over again.  I am so fortunate that I have my children and they are not suffering anymore from my addiction.  They know what it was like.  I would forget to feed them because I wasn't hungry.  I would snap and yell at them and the hours I spent looking for the next high, spinning my wheels.  What a waste!!!  And you always have to worry about getting caught!!!  Please get some help.  With the good Lord and a good 12 step group it can be done!!!  Also, my last selling point to get clean is I now suffer from heart disease and I know that doing years of crank did not help my heart.  I am now on oxygen 24 hours a day.  Do your kids a favor and get clean but mostly for yourself.  It is the greatest gift you can give yourself.

October 28, 2005, 11:01 am CDT

Quote From: carabarber

I was treated by Florida Detox - not only are they able to provide a detox - they also seek to find the underlying problem that causes cravings.  Usually it is due to the brain not producing enough dopamine, serotonin or glutomate.  A simple test they offer can answer this for you.  Once the reason is understood it can be treated with the right medication.  Dr. Sponaugle is fantastic and he and his medical team will work hard to make sure you no longer have to suffer and, believe it or not, you will enjoy life again!  I was in your shoes and now I'm doing much better - after only a month!! 

Good luck to you! 

Cara 

thanks for the reply, Cara. As for Florida Detox, I live in N.C. and am on probation- I cannot leave the state.  

What is the name of the test, do you know? It should be something I could get done here from my family doctor, right? 

October 28, 2005, 11:05 am CDT

You Either Get it, Or YOu Don't

Quote From: luciawells

"I'm not saying I'm addicted to it but it does help me get through the day...[but when I don't do it I'm really cranky..." It's clear that you are indeed an addict, but only you can make that final determination in order to help yourself. I have been addicted to pain medication for over ten years, starting like another writer, because of endometriosis. When I began taking the pills, I never would have called myself an addict; it was only after I suffered withdrawal, jail time, loss of job and self esteem that I realized that I was a hard core addict. I hope that you won't have to experience more than yelling at your kids in order to know the truth about yourself. I'm still addicted to these things even after entering myself into treatment several times; every time, however, I've gone back to using. It's an insidious disease that I wouldn't wish on anyone. Lucia

Lucia, you are correct in sharing with the previous writer that she IS an addict.  None of like to use that word.  Junkies and addicts are supposed to live in a cardboard box under a bridge and hand out in crack houses.  I am a professional with an advanced college degree, well-off financially, with a wonderful husband and family life.  I am also a junkie.  Addicted to narc painkillers, been sober since 13 July 2002.  Dr. Phil told his first guest today the truth - she IS a junkie.  So am I. 

"There's no reasoning why, 

But the mirror don't lie - 

You're a junkie." 

----Ozzy Osbourne 

"Junkie" 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last