Message Boards

Topic : 08/25 Extreme Food Obsessions

Number of Replies: 371
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 28, 2005, 02:17:57 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 11/03/05) What if you were so obsessed with eating that it almost killed you, or craving food so badly that you yelled, kicked and screamed when you couldn't get enough. Nichelle's 6-year-old daughter has Prader-Willi Syndrome and constantly wants to eat. She once threw a fit so loud, the neighbors called the police. Can Nichelle learn to control her own temper when her daughter has a tantrum? Then, Dr. Phil follows up with Kathy, an anorexic whose condition was so severe, she weighed only 68 pounds. She spent three months in treatment, but her struggle is not over yet. Can her family learn the difference between supporting her and enabling her? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 31, 2005, 1:59 pm CST

yes & thanx!

Quote From: jessieg830

I think you've gotten thei mpression that I have an eating disorder, I don't, just completely fascinated (that sounds morbid) by eating disorders. You say you've tried tons of diets, have you tried exercising? You WILL stop losing weigh if you don't exercise. Exercise and water are the only completely sure fire way to lose weight. I wish you the best of luck, and I hope you continue to make better choices for your life.   ALSO, I am curious, what is PSW? 

LOL, YES as hard & tiring as it is I DO exercise when I'm dieting! Thats the thing that usually ends my diets as well cause I get so sick of doing it that I stop & tell myself I will start again in a few days....then I DONT and there goes that diet! Each time I start a new diet, I say that I'm gonna try harder to keep exercising and I just always end up quitting! So NOW, I'm gonna try to do it kinda backwards....I'm gonna start exercising a few times a week FIRST, THEN start on the dieting, portion control & eating right! I'm glad that you dont have an eating disorder and thanx on the wishing me luck, I'm gonna need it, LOL!

October 31, 2005, 2:11 pm CST

Prader Willi Syndrome

Quote From: jessieg830

I think you've gotten thei mpression that I have an eating disorder, I don't, just completely fascinated (that sounds morbid) by eating disorders. You say you've tried tons of diets, have you tried exercising? You WILL stop losing weigh if you don't exercise. Exercise and water are the only completely sure fire way to lose weight. I wish you the best of luck, and I hope you continue to make better choices for your life.   ALSO, I am curious, what is PSW? 

Prader Willi Syndrome is a genetic disorder.  Infants at first don't know how to suckle & have to be taught how to breast or bottle feed.  Once they learn to eat, it's hard for them to stop.  They aren't born with the nerve that tells them they are full & they are born without the gag reflex.   They never feel satiated, & have been known to eat non-edibles as well.  My Brother-in-law was known to eat wood, light bulbs, entire sticks of butter & jars of mayonnaise, to name a few.  He had insulin-dependent diabetes & heart disease.  He had mild mental retardation.  He graduated high school in a special education class, but was never able to be gainfully employed.  His skeletal structure was large boned, but short instead of long.  He was also morbidly obese, & died of heart disease in his mid 40's.  It's extremely rare & there is no cure.  Successful households have locks on refrigerators, freezers & pantry cabinets.   But don't be fooled.  If they want it bad enough, PWS's can find food in the most unlikely places.  But locks do help. 

November 1, 2005, 1:25 am CST

My baby has PWS, too

Quote From: drgnj66

Joyce, thanks for your reply.  She was diagnosed PWS back when she was two.  Her mother wouldn't allow any treatment.  As I said now she is diabetic, with uncontrollable sugar.  Only when she's with her Dad does it seem to be controlled.  We watch what we allow her to eat, and she does satisfactory with that.  We've never locked food up, and she's never attempted to steal it...I think her Mom does though.  Her Mom has the control, and will not allow treatments other then the insulin.  She also seems to make the child sicker then she really is by taking her to the doctor, ER or Medcenter almost weekly.  The girl cannot even toilet herself properly, she needs help.  She is in a special education program which seems to be helping with social skills, but Mom is trying to get her out of it.  Seems the Mom has control and wants the child to forever be dependent, or almost as if she can't wait for her to die.  As I said, I have a hard time even knowing about the situation.....it has got to be hard.  My heart goes out to you as a caring mother of such a child.   

Hello:

Thanks for writing.  I feel very Blessed to have Daniel, he is the sweetest little person in the world and I know that he is meant to be here and I am meant to be his mom.

You should know that there are several people that have been diagnosed with PWS that have graduated from college, not all are like your friend's daughter.  In fact, ALL of the kids that I have met to date are nothing like you describe.

My heart goes out to her because she needs intervention, she needs daily shots of Growth Hormone, she needs special care and it sounds like she isn't getting any of it.   Please tell your friend that there is a PWS clinic at Mercy Hospital in Pittsburgh, they specialize in cases like hers and they CAN get the weight off and begin treatments to increase her quality of life and lifespan.

I will pray for your friend and his daughter.  Thanks again for writing.

November 1, 2005, 9:14 am CST

Diet and Exercise

Quote From: rissa140

LOL, YES as hard & tiring as it is I DO exercise when I'm dieting! Thats the thing that usually ends my diets as well cause I get so sick of doing it that I stop & tell myself I will start again in a few days....then I DONT and there goes that diet! Each time I start a new diet, I say that I'm gonna try harder to keep exercising and I just always end up quitting! So NOW, I'm gonna try to do it kinda backwards....I'm gonna start exercising a few times a week FIRST, THEN start on the dieting, portion control & eating right! I'm glad that you dont have an eating disorder and thanx on the wishing me luck, I'm gonna need it, LOL!
You sound just like me.  I had issues with exercising....I had that "all or nothing" attitude, though----Once I would get going with exercising-if something would happen and I missed exercise for one day I gave up completely.    I used to get bored with exercise and give up the whole shebang...the diet and exercise.   Since August, I have started counting my calorie intake and doing alittle exercise.    I have looked up tips on exercise and it is recommended to change up the routine alittle so as to not get bored.  I have videos and dumbbells and treadmill, etc....so I change up the exercise when it gets annoying to do.   I am now down almost 30lbs and it just motivates me to keep going.  If I do miss the exercise--I no longer give up the entire thing....This is for life and I just get back on track the next day.  Oh, and I do drink at least 64oz of water a day. I wish you the best of luck with your weightloss.  Feel free to email me if you would like a buddy.  :)

November 1, 2005, 10:14 am CST

11/03 Extreme Food Obsessions

Quote From: joyceopp

Hello:

Thanks for writing.  I feel very Blessed to have Daniel, he is the sweetest little person in the world and I know that he is meant to be here and I am meant to be his mom.

You should know that there are several people that have been diagnosed with PWS that have graduated from college, not all are like your friend's daughter.  In fact, ALL of the kids that I have met to date are nothing like you describe.

My heart goes out to her because she needs intervention, she needs daily shots of Growth Hormone, she needs special care and it sounds like she isn't getting any of it.   Please tell your friend that there is a PWS clinic at Mercy Hospital in Pittsburgh, they specialize in cases like hers and they CAN get the weight off and begin treatments to increase her quality of life and lifespan.

I will pray for your friend and his daughter.  Thanks again for writing.

Joyce, could you post the info regarding Mercy Hospital?  I checked their web site and didn't see any links or anything relative to this program.  I'd like to give him more information on it if possible, but if it is expensive I'm not sure he'll do anything, he doesn't make much money and the girl already has HUGE medical expenses.  But it sure would be nice to see her thrive more if it's possible.  Your absolutely right, she isn't getting any treatment right now, except when it suits her mother's needs and ego.  And then it's only a variety of antibiotics, and many doses of insulin.  

When I originally did some research, that is what I thought that some PWS people can move forward in life.  I don't believe his daughter will because her retardation is significant at this point, she's at about a level of a 9 year old, if that.  Only success she would get is to be away from the mother, as I said she doesn't seem to want to help her child.  Thank you and god bless you and your family. 

November 1, 2005, 11:50 am CST

11/03 Extreme Food Obsessions

Quote From: alwyscryng

I know Dr. Phil tries to help people with shows about anorexia, but all he does is trigger me to lose the weight I've gained. I feel so huge, and whatever Kathy has gained, if anything, is probably no where near what I weigh now. Just looking at the smallness of other anorexics make me feel like you-know-what. I'm still underweight, but on the borderline I think. I just don't see it- I just see extreme fat. My metabolism is completely messed up now, so it is extremely hard for me to lose weight, and super easy to gain.

hi, i understand how you feel about yourself when you see a person smaller than you, fat, fat fat 

this is what our minds want us to see ourselves, it is the sickness of the desease. you need to love yourself, and the person you are. if you one bit think you may have a problem, wich in my opinion i think you do, just because it sounds exactly the way i felt when i bad anerexia/bulimia, i tell you dont let it get you, it got me good i was so thin, yet i thought i was so fat, i was so sick i couldnt eat more than a quarter of a sandwich without non-intentionally throwing it up. my hair starting falling out, i was cold all the time, and my body was literly starting to shut down on me. i would cry and cry because i wanted to stop doing what i was doing but i was embarrassed to tell anyone what i was doing, untell one night i almost died, i coulnt breath barely i felt i was fighting for every breath i could take. i was so scared and all i thought was my two young children would find me dead in bed in the morning. i guess god was there for me that night and spared me, and i vowed ever since than to get healthy, i still think about doing it, because i am not as small as i was after my 3rd child, but i stay strong. at 5'2 i am 127. i feel good and eat right, most important i am finally healthy. i just pray that if you are leading in the path i did please get help while you can. god bless you.    just someone who cares........ 

November 1, 2005, 11:54 am CST

What is she thinking?

OMG!! I know that show has not aired yet. However, the story of the mother ( and I use that word VERY loosely) slapping her mentally handicapped child in the face and beating her with a belt is just totally outrageous to me. I am a mother of a 15 yr old boy who has Cerebral Palsy , Autistic, Asthmatic and is ADHD. The thought in his 15 years of life of laying a finger on him in violence yes I will admit has crossed my mind, but being a mother I know would not be in his best interest. He is the one who has issues and I am the adult so it is my job to be a nurturing, stable and loving figure in my son's life. This "mother" need to be in jail and have the child placed some were safe and loving. The violence she is enduring in her young life will have lasting effects in her world. Leaving her to think that to be "loved" she will have to go thru what she is now. I just hope and pray that either her Mom gets her act together or someone comes and carts her off and steps up and protects this little girl.

November 1, 2005, 12:22 pm CST

Congrats!

Quote From: hummelm

You sound just like me.  I had issues with exercising....I had that "all or nothing" attitude, though----Once I would get going with exercising-if something would happen and I missed exercise for one day I gave up completely.    I used to get bored with exercise and give up the whole shebang...the diet and exercise.   Since August, I have started counting my calorie intake and doing alittle exercise.    I have looked up tips on exercise and it is recommended to change up the routine alittle so as to not get bored.  I have videos and dumbbells and treadmill, etc....so I change up the exercise when it gets annoying to do.   I am now down almost 30lbs and it just motivates me to keep going.  If I do miss the exercise--I no longer give up the entire thing....This is for life and I just get back on track the next day.  Oh, and I do drink at least 64oz of water a day. I wish you the best of luck with your weightloss.  Feel free to email me if you would like a buddy.  :)
Thanx for the advice and congrats on your current weight loss, keep up the good work!

November 1, 2005, 3:57 pm CST

I AM THURSDAYS SHOW!!!!!!

Quote From: joyceopp

Hello Dr. Phil:

I am very worried about Thursdays show.  I saw a preview for it last week and it appears that Michelle is an abusive mom who happens to have a child with PWS.  My son with PWS is 21 months old and I have met or conversed with hundreds of PWS moms over the last two years.  They are all soo very loving and dedicated to their children, they have found ways to cope with PWS without abusing their child at all.  They have also been kind enough to share their stories with new moms like me so that my son can have a brighter future with less problems.

I hope to God that you found some of these moms and not just the abusive one, from the 10 second clip it appeared that your segment on PWS is about child abuse and NOT about PWS at all.

Please, please, please do all that you can to help Michelle, BUT don't confuse her with the typical PWS family! 

Thank you.

Joyce

OK, first of ALL... until recently I did not know what my daughter had. Second of all, your son is ONLY 21 months....you have NO clue what the future holds for you with a child who has that disorder. Savannah has terrible fits of rage, violent outbursts, and screams bloody murder when she doesnt get her way. DEAL WITH THAT!!! you havent seen anything yet. Im a 24 year old SINGLE mom with 2 spoiled little brats. I try to do the best I can. I DO spoil them sometimes because I love them, but its taking its toll! NO ONE who knows me will EVEN watch my one year old. (she was born a mamma's girl and a screamer!) IM ALL ALONE. I went to Dr. Phil for help because OBVIOULSY I felt I needed it!!! Can I get SOME credit?! People dont air their dirty laundry JUST BECAUSE! Do you think I want the whole world to think Im a jerk?! NO, but I DO Know I need help with dealing with my daughter. I cant handle it by myself. Dont come down on someone that had the nerve to even come forward! its a good thing! I HAD THE "BALLS" TO SAY ON NATIONAL TV WHAT EVERY OTHER FRUSTRATED PARENT IS THINKING, AND I WASNT SCARED!!!! be a jerk if you want, but i think I just opened up a whole can of worms...youll see. TUNE IN!!!! 

November 1, 2005, 7:31 pm CST

AMEN!!!

Quote From: alwyscryng

I know Dr. Phil tries to help people with shows about anorexia, but all he does is trigger me to lose the weight I've gained. I feel so huge, and whatever Kathy has gained, if anything, is probably no where near what I weigh now. Just looking at the smallness of other anorexics make me feel like you-know-what. I'm still underweight, but on the borderline I think. I just don't see it- I just see extreme fat. My metabolism is completely messed up now, so it is extremely hard for me to lose weight, and super easy to gain.

I was so relieved to read your post. I love watching the Dr. phil show, but....I just left my second treatment center that I have been in this year. Anorexia is so glorified on TV...seeing the bones is a huge trigger for me. It seems like TV shows flash pictures of the worst cases on TV and quote weights up and down. here is my thought.....if you wouldn't ask or post the weights of "normal" people (because it is considered RUDE), why in the world would anyone post and talk about the weight of a person who is obviously more sensitive about it than the average population? I feel pulled to watch the show, but am scared to death of being triggered into relapse. I am already holding on for my life as it is....I wish that someone would do a show about anorexia and bulemia without focusing on pictures of people at their sickest.  The public already seems to think that eating disorders are about food. Dr. Phil says that you can't fix money problems with money. I say you can't fix anorexia with food. If only he could say that.... 

On a better note, the author of Life Without Ed will be on the show, and that is the best book I've ever read about eating disorders. It's as if the author has climbed into my head and written all of my thoughts on paper.  

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last