Message Boards

Topic : 08/25 Extreme Food Obsessions

Number of Replies: 371
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 28, 2005, 02:17:57 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 11/03/05) What if you were so obsessed with eating that it almost killed you, or craving food so badly that you yelled, kicked and screamed when you couldn't get enough. Nichelle's 6-year-old daughter has Prader-Willi Syndrome and constantly wants to eat. She once threw a fit so loud, the neighbors called the police. Can Nichelle learn to control her own temper when her daughter has a tantrum? Then, Dr. Phil follows up with Kathy, an anorexic whose condition was so severe, she weighed only 68 pounds. She spent three months in treatment, but her struggle is not over yet. Can her family learn the difference between supporting her and enabling her? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 1, 2005, 10:22 pm CST

Prader-Willi Syndrome

When I saw that Prader-Willi Syndrome would be the topic for Dr. Phil’s show I was surprised. The syndrome is rarely mentioned except in extreme cases.  I wish the whole hour could be devoted to Prader-Willi.  I trust that there will be resources and links to offer support after the show airs on Thursday.   

My nephew Scott was diagnosed with PWS in 1975. Only 20 years since it had been discovered, Scott’s disorder was somewhat rare when he was born. He was a failure-to-thrive baby and had poor muscle tone. Doctors thought he had cerebral palsy and would never walk. He walked when he was almost 3 years old. His speech was affected because of poor muscle control. Scott was always patient with us when we had difficulty understanding him. Scott started gaining weight when he was 6 or 7. My sister and her husband were faced with many trials and tribulations with Scott as he went through puberty. He attended a day treatment program that helped him become a caring, kind man.  He was active in Special Olympics. He traveled with my sister and her husband everywhere. Scott became a popular young man in his hometown. With love and guidance shown to him, he rarely had the tantrums that are known in Prader-Willi children. 

Scott brought our family so much joy and we were better people having had him in our lives for just a short time. Scott died in 2004 at just 29 years of age. He developed diabetes and deep vein thrombosis. His parents are still trying to deal with this terrible loss. Our family will never be the same.  Scott gave me wonderful gifts-- love, laughter and acceptance. Wonder and innocence and warmth.  

Sharon 

November 2, 2005, 4:01 am CST

11/03 Extreme Food Obsessions

Quote From: nichelle81

OK, first of ALL... until recently I did not know what my daughter had. Second of all, your son is ONLY 21 months....you have NO clue what the future holds for you with a child who has that disorder. Savannah has terrible fits of rage, violent outbursts, and screams bloody murder when she doesnt get her way. DEAL WITH THAT!!! you havent seen anything yet. Im a 24 year old SINGLE mom with 2 spoiled little brats. I try to do the best I can. I DO spoil them sometimes because I love them, but its taking its toll! NO ONE who knows me will EVEN watch my one year old. (she was born a mamma's girl and a screamer!) IM ALL ALONE. I went to Dr. Phil for help because OBVIOULSY I felt I needed it!!! Can I get SOME credit?! People dont air their dirty laundry JUST BECAUSE! Do you think I want the whole world to think Im a jerk?! NO, but I DO Know I need help with dealing with my daughter. I cant handle it by myself. Dont come down on someone that had the nerve to even come forward! its a good thing! I HAD THE "BALLS" TO SAY ON NATIONAL TV WHAT EVERY OTHER FRUSTRATED PARENT IS THINKING, AND I WASNT SCARED!!!! be a jerk if you want, but i think I just opened up a whole can of worms...youll see. TUNE IN!!!! 

I have a 17 year old son with PWS, and yes, he has all the things you mention about your daughter.  It's part of having this syndrome.  I was quite upset when you said, "SINGLE Mom with two spoiled little brats".  Is that really how you see your children?  If that is the case, I only have pity for you.  You even say YOU are the one that spoiled them, and then say you love them?  I feel it's a shame you didn't contact Dr Phil on "how to deal with special needs children", rather than bring PWS into light in such a negative manner.  Just from reading your post it is very obvious you need a LOT of help, I can only hope Dr Phil was able to offer you the help you need.  You sound like a very angry young lady, and I can only hope your children don't suffer from your anger.  I will be watching the show on pins and needles.

November 2, 2005, 6:01 am CST

OK, first of ALL... until recently I did not know what my daughter had. Second of all, your son is ONLY 21 months....you have NO clue what the future holds for you with a child who has that disorder. Savannah has terrible fits of rage, violent outbursts, and screams bloody murder when she doesnt get her way. DEAL WITH THAT!!! you havent seen anything yet. Im a 24 year old SINGLE mom with 2 spoiled little brats. I try to do the best I can. I DO spoil them sometimes because I love them, but its taking its toll! NO ONE who knows me will EVEN watch my one year old. (she was born a mamma's girl and a screamer!) IM ALL ALONE. I went to Dr. Phil for help because OBVIOULSY I felt I needed it!!! Can I get SOME credit?! People dont air their dirty laundry JUST BECAUSE! Do you think I want the whole world to think Im a jerk?! NO, but I DO Know I need help with dealing with my daughter. I cant handle it by myself. Dont come down on someone that had the nerve to even come forward! its a good thing! I HAD THE "BALLS" TO SAY ON NATIONAL TV WHAT EVERY OTHER FRUSTRATED PARENT IS THINKING, AND I WASNT SCARED!!!! be a jerk if you want, but i think I just opened up a whole can of worms...youll see. TUNE IN!!!! 

This is such a hard topic and I'm sure that you coming forward is truly a cry for help. I commend you for that. But... I don't believe a way to get a child to understand something, PWS or not, by hitting is the answer. You yourself call both of your children spoiled brats, that attitude is negative. You need to find positive things about your children. Plus, you being a single mom at 24 is not your children's fault, it's a crutch for you to justify the things you do. My mother raised my 3 siblings and I on her own with no help what so ever from my dad or the state. I also have a brother who has a mental disease. My mother never called us spoiled brats nor hit us in the head or face when we acted up. Yes occasionally we got a swat on the bottom and I'm sure well deserved. I don't think the whole world thinks you are a jerk but some people really disagree with your tactics and you having the "BALLS" to come forward and airing your dirty laundry as you stated, comes along with criticism from people who disagree. You can't begrudge someone for stating what they feel and automatically get on the defensive... you put it out there for discussion. I can only try to understand what you may be going through and I really hope you find the answers you are looking for to help you and your daughter. Try to think more positive. You have taken the first step in getting help... that is never a wrong thing. I'm sure you love your children and want to do right by them... continue the march!!! Good luck to you and I will be watching the show!

November 2, 2005, 6:25 am CST

PWS IS WHAT IT IS......

Quote From: praderwili

I have a 17 year old son with PWS, and yes, he has all the things you mention about your daughter.  It's part of having this syndrome.  I was quite upset when you said, "SINGLE Mom with two spoiled little brats".  Is that really how you see your children?  If that is the case, I only have pity for you.  You even say YOU are the one that spoiled them, and then say you love them?  I feel it's a shame you didn't contact Dr Phil on "how to deal with special needs children", rather than bring PWS into light in such a negative manner.  Just from reading your post it is very obvious you need a LOT of help, I can only hope Dr Phil was able to offer you the help you need.  You sound like a very angry young lady, and I can only hope your children don't suffer from your anger.  I will be watching the show on pins and needles.
What?! how on earth did I bring PWS to light in a negative manner?! IT IS WHAT IT IS LADY! I told it like it is, im sorry if you cant handle it....I went on Dr. Phil and told the truth. I went on that show because that is what my daughter has, and because the producers called me to do so. My kids are spoiled because others spoil them as well and I do once and awhile...so what. I admit I have ALOT to learn about PWS. ALOT. That may be part of my issue. And Im working on it. Youll see what you see on TV, but you have NO clue what my life is like on a daily basis. So have pity or whatever it is you say you have on me.....whatever. It seems to me like you are more concerned with HOW I MADE PWS look on National TV. I will also be watching the show on pins and needles. Have a nice day.

November 2, 2005, 6:28 am CST

Pader-Willi

My daughter is 7. It was not until she was about 5 that I finially received the right diagnosis. I am looking for a doctor in Wisconsin to treat the whole person with the syndrome. It gets very tiresome to run this poor child to a million different doctors. They jushave no clue. I have had several doctors tell me that I am over-feeding my child. She is over weight. I count calories, watch sugars, watch salts. This child knows what she can and can not eat. She is the light of my life. She is the happiest child you will ever meet. She is in 2nd grade. I go to school at the start of each new school year and provide all the staff with the lastest news. I provide them with behavioral sheets. Specifically check on her progress weekly. The school keeps me informed as to any potential problems. Open communication is the key. All of her care-givers know what I know. When we encounter any new situation, we all discuss it. The only other problem I have is the temper. It gets out of hand. She has to argue. Not every day , but when she has set her mind to something, that is that.  We need to teach these children to help manage their food intake. I include my daughter in all the decisions that concern her. She may not always understand, but I explain in her terms. It works for my family. If any one out there can provide me with any doctor information it would be greatly appreciated. 

konasch@yahoo.com 

November 2, 2005, 6:35 am CST

THANK YOU :-)

Quote From: katrin

This is such a hard topic and I'm sure that you coming forward is truly a cry for help. I commend you for that. But... I don't believe a way to get a child to understand something, PWS or not, by hitting is the answer. You yourself call both of your children spoiled brats, that attitude is negative. You need to find positive things about your children. Plus, you being a single mom at 24 is not your children's fault, it's a crutch for you to justify the things you do. My mother raised my 3 siblings and I on her own with no help what so ever from my dad or the state. I also have a brother who has a mental disease. My mother never called us spoiled brats nor hit us in the head or face when we acted up. Yes occasionally we got a swat on the bottom and I'm sure well deserved. I don't think the whole world thinks you are a jerk but some people really disagree with your tactics and you having the "BALLS" to come forward and airing your dirty laundry as you stated, comes along with criticism from people who disagree. You can't begrudge someone for stating what they feel and automatically get on the defensive... you put it out there for discussion. I can only try to understand what you may be going through and I really hope you find the answers you are looking for to help you and your daughter. Try to think more positive. You have taken the first step in getting help... that is never a wrong thing. I'm sure you love your children and want to do right by them... continue the march!!! Good luck to you and I will be watching the show!
Yes..it is a hard topic. and a confusing one at that. And Yes, I know I need help. and with that help I will be able to control my anger and frustration. I have ALOT to learn about PWS and I think that is part of the problem. And your right, the critisism comes with going on TV. I even said it myself...I certainly know whats coming!! :-\  I was just soooo upset because the show hasnt aired and people are being so rude! Geeze atleast watch first, then critisize. One thing you were not right about is that I use my age as a crutch and it is not. I am who I am, I dont need to justify anything. Thank you for your post, you got your point across without being rude. and I appreciate that.

November 2, 2005, 12:02 pm CST

My baby has PWS, too

What?! how on earth did I bring PWS to light in a negative manner?! IT IS WHAT IT IS LADY! I told it like it is, im sorry if you cant handle it....I went on Dr. Phil and told the truth. I went on that show because that is what my daughter has, and because the producers called me to do so. My kids are spoiled because others spoil them as well and I do once and awhile...so what. I admit I have ALOT to learn about PWS. ALOT. That may be part of my issue. And Im working on it. Youll see what you see on TV, but you have NO clue what my life is like on a daily basis. So have pity or whatever it is you say you have on me.....whatever. It seems to me like you are more concerned with HOW I MADE PWS look on National TV. I will also be watching the show on pins and needles. Have a nice day.
 Nichelle:

I am sorry if my words upset you.  You need to understand that just because you feel that your situation is "the way PWS IS" does not make it so.  Your situation is tough, no question, but the way you have chosen as the adult to deal with it is abusive and wrong.  All I am saying is that there are many, many PWS families out there that deal with the situation without abusing their child.  It is NOT easy for them either, single or not and many of them are. 

The only reason we are concerned is because your kids need you to be the grownup and handle the situations responsibly and our children with PWS do NOT need PWS to be portrayed by a family that is totally out of control when we spend every waking minute trying to handle our indidividual situations with maturity and control.

I am sorry, but you are NOT the right person to portray the "typical" PWS family at this time.  I do think that you can be and hopefully with Dr. PHil's help you to be an in control adult when dealing with your own situation.

As one PWS mom to another, I applaud you for getting help and wish you the BEST of LUCK with learning to control your temper and anger. 

Joyce

November 2, 2005, 12:05 pm CST

Quote From: sharon191

When I saw that Prader-Willi Syndrome would be the topic for Dr. Phil’s show I was surprised. The syndrome is rarely mentioned except in extreme cases.  I wish the whole hour could be devoted to Prader-Willi.  I trust that there will be resources and links to offer support after the show airs on Thursday.   

My nephew Scott was diagnosed with PWS in 1975. Only 20 years since it had been discovered, Scott’s disorder was somewhat rare when he was born. He was a failure-to-thrive baby and had poor muscle tone. Doctors thought he had cerebral palsy and would never walk. He walked when he was almost 3 years old. His speech was affected because of poor muscle control. Scott was always patient with us when we had difficulty understanding him. Scott started gaining weight when he was 6 or 7. My sister and her husband were faced with many trials and tribulations with Scott as he went through puberty. He attended a day treatment program that helped him become a caring, kind man.  He was active in Special Olympics. He traveled with my sister and her husband everywhere. Scott became a popular young man in his hometown. With love and guidance shown to him, he rarely had the tantrums that are known in Prader-Willi children. 

Scott brought our family so much joy and we were better people having had him in our lives for just a short time. Scott died in 2004 at just 29 years of age. He developed diabetes and deep vein thrombosis. His parents are still trying to deal with this terrible loss. Our family will never be the same.  Scott gave me wonderful gifts-- love, laughter and acceptance. Wonder and innocence and warmth.  

Sharon 

November 2, 2005, 12:08 pm CST

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!

Quote From: sharon191

Sharon 

Hi Sharon:

Thank you for that inspiring post about your nephew, I bet he WAS the light of soo many lives.  I know that my little guy already is, everyone loves him and he loves everyone else!

I know that we will have our challenges, but I also know that we will get through them together as a family and with our new PWS family.  I hope that Dr. Phil actually Joins our family which would mean portraying ALL there is to our kids, not just highlighting the tantrums and stuff.

Thanks again!

Joyce

November 2, 2005, 12:30 pm CST

What an inspiration!

Quote From: joyceopp

Sharon - I just wanted to thank you so very much for sharing your story with all of us. It brought tears to my eyes in a happy yet sad way. Happy that you got the time to get to know such a WONDERFUL person and sad that he had to go. I'm so thankful for these message boards because they are just another way to keep the memories fresh and to remember loved ones that have moved on. Thank you once again... you have lit a light in my heart for you and your family and I'll always remember your story. 

Kat 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last