Message Boards

Topic : 08/25 Extreme Food Obsessions

Number of Replies: 371
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 28, 2005, 02:17:57 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 11/03/05) What if you were so obsessed with eating that it almost killed you, or craving food so badly that you yelled, kicked and screamed when you couldn't get enough. Nichelle's 6-year-old daughter has Prader-Willi Syndrome and constantly wants to eat. She once threw a fit so loud, the neighbors called the police. Can Nichelle learn to control her own temper when her daughter has a tantrum? Then, Dr. Phil follows up with Kathy, an anorexic whose condition was so severe, she weighed only 68 pounds. She spent three months in treatment, but her struggle is not over yet. Can her family learn the difference between supporting her and enabling her? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 29, 2005, 7:21 pm CDT

grr...

I know Dr. Phil tries to help people with shows about anorexia, but all he does is trigger me to lose the weight I've gained. I feel so huge, and whatever Kathy has gained, if anything, is probably no where near what I weigh now. Just looking at the smallness of other anorexics make me feel like you-know-what. I'm still underweight, but on the borderline I think. I just don't see it- I just see extreme fat. My metabolism is completely messed up now, so it is extremely hard for me to lose weight, and super easy to gain.

October 30, 2005, 11:41 am CST

11/03 Extreme Food Obsessions

Quote From: alwyscryng

I know Dr. Phil tries to help people with shows about anorexia, but all he does is trigger me to lose the weight I've gained. I feel so huge, and whatever Kathy has gained, if anything, is probably no where near what I weigh now. Just looking at the smallness of other anorexics make me feel like you-know-what. I'm still underweight, but on the borderline I think. I just don't see it- I just see extreme fat. My metabolism is completely messed up now, so it is extremely hard for me to lose weight, and super easy to gain.
From reading you post it sounds like you have a problem with anorexia also! I hope for the sake of your life & family that you are getting help or are thinking about getting help because this is serious! It just upsets me to see and hear about people with this disorder! I myself am on the heavier side, close to 300 lbs and I'm 5'2, which is catergorized as being "obese". Do I want to lose weight? OF COURSE, but when I see and hear about people who suffer from anorexia and/or buliemia, I say to myself & other people that I would rather stay at the weight I am right now for the rest of my life, then be anorexic & deathly thin! Being anorexic does NOT help or solve anything!!! You become so obsessed with being thin, that you become TOO THIN and end up putting your life more at risk!!! There certainly is NOTHING healthy about being anorexic & there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING good that comes from having this disorder!!! I REALLY hope you realize the damage you're doing to yourself, not only physically but also emotionally & mentally and I seriously hope you get the help you need to break out of this before its too late!!! PLEASE, PLEASE GET SOME HELP, ASAP!!! If you or anyone else wants to talk about this, feel free to email me at Lorissa140@ aol.com!

October 30, 2005, 9:16 pm CST

I can't do it

I am on anti-depressants and was hoping in the course of dealing with my anxiety I could deal with my emotional eating, but it seems like my body is developing new responses to hunger and I just can't seem to defeat them. Instead of becoming more comfortable over time eating less I get more and more uncomfortable from headaches and heartburn to absolute jitters verging on a panic attack if I try to ignore the pangs. I have been overweight all my life and am getting so sick of being this way. I don't feel comfortable about anything anymore.  I wish I could lose weight without pain because telling myself that I already am in pain just isn't working to keep me on the ball.

October 31, 2005, 2:38 am CST

My baby has PWS, too

Hello Dr. Phil:

I am very worried about Thursdays show.  I saw a preview for it last week and it appears that Michelle is an abusive mom who happens to have a child with PWS.  My son with PWS is 21 months old and I have met or conversed with hundreds of PWS moms over the last two years.  They are all soo very loving and dedicated to their children, they have found ways to cope with PWS without abusing their child at all.  They have also been kind enough to share their stories with new moms like me so that my son can have a brighter future with less problems.

I hope to God that you found some of these moms and not just the abusive one, from the 10 second clip it appeared that your segment on PWS is about child abuse and NOT about PWS at all.

Please, please, please do all that you can to help Michelle, BUT don't confuse her with the typical PWS family! 

Thank you.

Joyce

October 31, 2005, 8:55 am CST

looking for more info....

Quote From: joyceopp

Hello Dr. Phil:

I am very worried about Thursdays show.  I saw a preview for it last week and it appears that Michelle is an abusive mom who happens to have a child with PWS.  My son with PWS is 21 months old and I have met or conversed with hundreds of PWS moms over the last two years.  They are all soo very loving and dedicated to their children, they have found ways to cope with PWS without abusing their child at all.  They have also been kind enough to share their stories with new moms like me so that my son can have a brighter future with less problems.

I hope to God that you found some of these moms and not just the abusive one, from the 10 second clip it appeared that your segment on PWS is about child abuse and NOT about PWS at all.

Please, please, please do all that you can to help Michelle, BUT don't confuse her with the typical PWS family! 

Thank you.

Joyce
I have a friend with a child with PWS, or so they say.  She is 13 and weighs about 300 pounds.  She really doesn't act obsessed with food, until it comes to meal times....her Mom has custody of her and appears to feed her whatever she wants.  She is diabetic, and appears to be very un healthy.  My friend, her DAd, is afraid of his ex wife, so he does nothing to help the child either, but is getting concerned, as his daughter can barely fit in the car! She is almost too big for the seat belt.  As a friend I'm not sure what to do, because in my opinion her Mom is abusing her by not taking care of her, but how can one prove it? When she is with her Dad, she eats what he tells her to eat, which are healthy usually non fat foods, or foods with no sugar...so her obsession's seem to be more of her Mom's, if that makes sense.  There has got to be more people with this disorder, don't doctors know about it?  and where do these kids go once they're adults?  This girl is badly retarded, yet no one will do anything for her.  They keep pretending she will one day be okay. They even let her trick or treat, which I thought was horribly abusive to her.  But am I too concerned? at the rate she is going, she'll probably die before she's 20...is this common? Is it a hopeless disease?  I am thinking of ending the friendship, because I cant take watching her grow up like this.  Is there anything I can do?  Thank you

October 31, 2005, 9:11 am CST

Whats the difference?

Quote From: rissa140

From reading you post it sounds like you have a problem with anorexia also! I hope for the sake of your life & family that you are getting help or are thinking about getting help because this is serious! It just upsets me to see and hear about people with this disorder! I myself am on the heavier side, close to 300 lbs and I'm 5'2, which is catergorized as being "obese". Do I want to lose weight? OF COURSE, but when I see and hear about people who suffer from anorexia and/or buliemia, I say to myself & other people that I would rather stay at the weight I am right now for the rest of my life, then be anorexic & deathly thin! Being anorexic does NOT help or solve anything!!! You become so obsessed with being thin, that you become TOO THIN and end up putting your life more at risk!!! There certainly is NOTHING healthy about being anorexic & there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING good that comes from having this disorder!!! I REALLY hope you realize the damage you're doing to yourself, not only physically but also emotionally & mentally and I seriously hope you get the help you need to break out of this before its too late!!! PLEASE, PLEASE GET SOME HELP, ASAP!!! If you or anyone else wants to talk about this, feel free to email me at Lorissa140@ aol.com!
When I reply to this, I am in no way being judgemental of you, but I do think that why you clearly see the dangers of Anorexia or Bulemia, it is as if you're not quite informed of the heallth risks of obesity. You are right, anorexia is a HUGE health risk, but obesity is just as great of one. You being 300 lbs and 5'2 is extremely unhealthy. Imagine the strain that puts on your heart. I apologize if I come across rude, just stating my opinion.

October 31, 2005, 10:25 am CST

PWS

Quote From: drgnj66

I have a friend with a child with PWS, or so they say.  She is 13 and weighs about 300 pounds.  She really doesn't act obsessed with food, until it comes to meal times....her Mom has custody of her and appears to feed her whatever she wants.  She is diabetic, and appears to be very un healthy.  My friend, her DAd, is afraid of his ex wife, so he does nothing to help the child either, but is getting concerned, as his daughter can barely fit in the car! She is almost too big for the seat belt.  As a friend I'm not sure what to do, because in my opinion her Mom is abusing her by not taking care of her, but how can one prove it? When she is with her Dad, she eats what he tells her to eat, which are healthy usually non fat foods, or foods with no sugar...so her obsession's seem to be more of her Mom's, if that makes sense.  There has got to be more people with this disorder, don't doctors know about it?  and where do these kids go once they're adults?  This girl is badly retarded, yet no one will do anything for her.  They keep pretending she will one day be okay. They even let her trick or treat, which I thought was horribly abusive to her.  But am I too concerned? at the rate she is going, she'll probably die before she's 20...is this common? Is it a hopeless disease?  I am thinking of ending the friendship, because I cant take watching her grow up like this.  Is there anything I can do?  Thank you

Hello: 

It does sound like your friend's child may have PWS.  Unfortunately, many, many doctors have never heard of it and it goes undiagnosed constantly.  It is a shame because there are some treatments now that have proven effective to help with body composition, energy, growth and metabolism that is life-altering for the better!!! 

Please have your friend watch the Dr. Phil show.  Also, if he wants, he can take her to a geneticist and ask for a methylation test that will identify all three types of PWS.  She CAN live longer and healthier, although it is still a heartbreaking disorder, it doesn't HAVE to be deadly. 

Thanks for writing. 

Sincerely, 

Joyce 

October 31, 2005, 10:25 am CST

Not at all!

Quote From: jessieg830

When I reply to this, I am in no way being judgemental of you, but I do think that why you clearly see the dangers of Anorexia or Bulemia, it is as if you're not quite informed of the heallth risks of obesity. You are right, anorexia is a HUGE health risk, but obesity is just as great of one. You being 300 lbs and 5'2 is extremely unhealthy. Imagine the strain that puts on your heart. I apologize if I come across rude, just stating my opinion.
I dont think your being judgmental at all, I can totally see where your coming from & I should've made this clear the first time....... Believe me, I KNOW all about the risks over being overweight! I've heard it from my doctors, read about it online, etc. I've been checked for high blood pressure, diabetes & all that other stuff and as of now, I DONT have any of of it.......and I will continue to get checked for them! I should also add that i've been trying to lose weight for the longest time! I've tried tons of diets and even went on weight watchers for a few months where I lost about 15-20 lbs....the most I had EVER lost on a diet or program! But the same thing always happens, somehow I fall of track and quit for a while! It may also be genetic, cause a lot of my family is heavy and struggling with their weights! I am currently, again, trying to lose weight and REALLY hope to have better luck succeeding this time around! And I apologize If I come across rude, but I STILL would rather be at the weight I am then be going through anorexia and I'm pretty sure my family would be more concerned for me (not that they arent concerned now, my mom tries to help me) if I were anorexic than at my current weight! But believe me when I say that I AM aware of the risks of being obese and AM trying to change it.....just like I hope YOU are trying to change! Its all about the sake of our health! Thats just my opinion!

October 31, 2005, 10:58 am CST

more than just dieting

Quote From: rissa140

I dont think your being judgmental at all, I can totally see where your coming from & I should've made this clear the first time....... Believe me, I KNOW all about the risks over being overweight! I've heard it from my doctors, read about it online, etc. I've been checked for high blood pressure, diabetes & all that other stuff and as of now, I DONT have any of of it.......and I will continue to get checked for them! I should also add that i've been trying to lose weight for the longest time! I've tried tons of diets and even went on weight watchers for a few months where I lost about 15-20 lbs....the most I had EVER lost on a diet or program! But the same thing always happens, somehow I fall of track and quit for a while! It may also be genetic, cause a lot of my family is heavy and struggling with their weights! I am currently, again, trying to lose weight and REALLY hope to have better luck succeeding this time around! And I apologize If I come across rude, but I STILL would rather be at the weight I am then be going through anorexia and I'm pretty sure my family would be more concerned for me (not that they arent concerned now, my mom tries to help me) if I were anorexic than at my current weight! But believe me when I say that I AM aware of the risks of being obese and AM trying to change it.....just like I hope YOU are trying to change! Its all about the sake of our health! Thats just my opinion!

I think you've gotten thei mpression that I have an eating disorder, I don't, just completely fascinated (that sounds morbid) by eating disorders. You say you've tried tons of diets, have you tried exercising? You WILL stop losing weigh if you don't exercise. Exercise and water are the only completely sure fire way to lose weight. I wish you the best of luck, and I hope you continue to make better choices for your life.   ALSO, I am curious, what is PSW? 

October 31, 2005, 12:22 pm CST

11/03 Extreme Food Obsessions

Quote From: joyceopp

Hello: 

It does sound like your friend's child may have PWS.  Unfortunately, many, many doctors have never heard of it and it goes undiagnosed constantly.  It is a shame because there are some treatments now that have proven effective to help with body composition, energy, growth and metabolism that is life-altering for the better!!! 

Please have your friend watch the Dr. Phil show.  Also, if he wants, he can take her to a geneticist and ask for a methylation test that will identify all three types of PWS.  She CAN live longer and healthier, although it is still a heartbreaking disorder, it doesn't HAVE to be deadly. 

Thanks for writing. 

Sincerely, 

Joyce 

Joyce, thanks for your reply.  She was diagnosed PWS back when she was two.  Her mother wouldn't allow any treatment.  As I said now she is diabetic, with uncontrollable sugar.  Only when she's with her Dad does it seem to be controlled.  We watch what we allow her to eat, and she does satisfactory with that.  We've never locked food up, and she's never attempted to steal it...I think her Mom does though.  Her Mom has the control, and will not allow treatments other then the insulin.  She also seems to make the child sicker then she really is by taking her to the doctor, ER or Medcenter almost weekly.  The girl cannot even toilet herself properly, she needs help.  She is in a special education program which seems to be helping with social skills, but Mom is trying to get her out of it.  Seems the Mom has control and wants the child to forever be dependent, or almost as if she can't wait for her to die.  As I said, I have a hard time even knowing about the situation.....it has got to be hard.  My heart goes out to you as a caring mother of such a child.   

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last