Message Boards

Topic : 11/04 A Shopping Intervention

Number of Replies: 190
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 28, 2005, 02:25:46 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Are you living way beyond your means? Do you shop for one pair of shoes, but come home with 10 pairs? Bridgette is deep in debt and often spends $7,000 a week on luxury items. She even dropped $25,000 in one weekend! Her husband, Michael, says her shopping is an addiction that's ruining their marriage and family. Find out the one big secret that Bridgette's been keeping from him. Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More November 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 4, 2005, 12:45 pm CST

kick her to the curb

I think he is right. she should get a job and know what it is like to earn that money.  He may have been a terrible husband. She should have gotten out of the marriage.  She says her kids are moochers.  She is the biggest moocher.  This woman seems very depressed to me.  She should spend the money on therapy and pull her life together.  If I was her husband I would cut her off totally.  Has this guy ever stopped to think , I could drop dead and never have had a day to enjoy for all the hard work.. The worst of this is that her kids dropped out of school.  This is unheard of in this day and age.   Shame Shame Shame.  She is perpetuating her sickness on the kids.like I say, kick her to the curb, let her live in a dumpy apartment until she has gotten a job.She won't have time to shop. P.S.  She could return and or sell what she has in that house and have the 100k paid off asap.!  Better yet, take away her car.  I doubt she'll want to walk the miles each day to the mall and back with all those packages.

November 4, 2005, 1:04 pm CST

Zero sympathy here

This doctor could have contacted his credit card companies and told them to freeze those accounts.  If he wanted to let his wife shop a bit, he could take a card with a reasonable credit line and only let her use that card. 

If the wife went ahead and applied for and got her own cards, fine, let her pay the bills.  What makes this fool pay his wife's bills?  He's enabling her and is a sap.  Tell her to get off her rump and get a job.  What does she do all day besides shop?  I didn't hear her say anything about volunteering at the PTA or some other local cause like a lot of people do.  He whines that his daughter has designer cosmetics but does nothing to curtail her shopping either.  He made his bed, let him lie in it. 

I love how the word "bankruptcy" gets thrown around.  This is why the bankruptcy laws were changed.  This rich doctor with a mansion and pool could simply say "i don't have enough to pay for all this" and be free of those debts. What a crock of crap. 

Now, the poor apartment-dweller whose medical condition devastated them financially has trouble filing for bankruptcy now because of jerks like this doctor and others who abused their credit for luxuries, filed and are sitting pretty again. 

Yes I am bitter.  I am an educator.  My husband works in education as well.  We are devoted to our jobs, save as much as we can and have no credit card or any debt at all.  You know what else?  We'll never have a house.  We can't afford the downpayment.  We've been priced out of the area (working class) that we grew up and work in.  Watching these people, piss away money on jewelry and cars for their kids just makes me sick. 

November 4, 2005, 1:10 pm CST

Lack of Emotion

Dr. Phil, 

You mentioned that the doctor had no emotion.  I felt as if Bridget (the wife) showed NO emotion whatsoever!!!  She honestly appeared to be on medication.  She was so stiff.  I agree that he was not in touch with his feelings, but neither was she! 

This is , as you said, a common problem.  It reinforced the fact that my husband continues to be a workaholic to avoid being a husband.  I will never understand what he is working for and when enough is enough. 

I'll be anxious to see what happens to this family. 

November 4, 2005, 1:19 pm CST

Very Sad...

I'm not too sure what I really think about this situation. I mean, you see someones life broadcast on television for a total of about 45 minutes and you actually think you can relate or judge based on that information? I don't know whether he is the most itelligent stupid man or whether he really loves a very sick person. What I do believe is sad, is the fact that these people are really so blessed and fotunate in their' lives, and yet so miserable. I personally do not believe that any kind of true happiness comes from material belongings, and unfortunately I feel that this family is a good example of that. Hopefully they'll work things out and change their' lives for the better. Take care everyone* Crystal*

November 4, 2005, 1:19 pm CST

Shopping Addiction

Dr. Phil,  just tell the family they can donate some of those things to me.  They really need some counseling.  She really does not love him as much as he loves her.  Just ask them can I have their old furniture everytime she goes shopping. 

November 4, 2005, 1:37 pm CST

That Lady is out of control!

All I really have to say is that Dr. Phil should of had a truck at that house taking all her things and giving it to people that really need it.  I myself am lucky if I have 2 pairs of pants that fit and all my shirts are 3 sizes to big.,   I don't have the money to buy new but yet I always try to give, someone out there is worse off than I am.  The women needs a real reality check.  Have her come live in my world for one day!

November 4, 2005, 1:45 pm CST

11/04 A Shopping Intervention

Quote From: missjane2

GIVE BRIDGETTE A BREAK?  I think Bridgette needs to get a job and make some payments.  If she is spending she needs to be earning and paying.
Bridgette needs a BIG reallity check!!  She really needs to take all her things and give to the people that really need them,  How how about all the people down south that have NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 4, 2005, 1:56 pm CST

Lost everything!

Aparently these people have never lost waht is truely meaningful in life!  I FEEL SORRY FOR THEM!

November 4, 2005, 1:57 pm CST

He's a doctor?

I didn't catch what kind of doctor he is, but I would not want to put my life in the hands of someone that words too many shifts and probably can't concentrate on what they are doing. 

He could put a freeze on all the credit cards except one.  Since she has no income of her own, how would she be able to get more cards?  That would be one way to stop her. 

If my 16 yr old quit school, she wouldn't get another thing until she either went back or got her GED.  You can barely do anything with that now a days much less quitting school. 

She wants him home more, but how can he be there when he has to work all he can just to pay for her selfishness.  

I didn't see any signs of love between them at all. 

November 4, 2005, 1:58 pm CST

a better way to spend his money...

Wouldn't the world be a better place if  the good doctor provided some pro bono medical work for those who are without the ability to pay for services. What a shame his wife feels so vindictive to him. My 23 year old son is well on a solid career path as a great mechanic, but unable to afford any kind of dental insurance. Currently he needs $3,000 of work, which will only get worse as he puts off care that is expensive. And she spends 10 times that amount on things that go unused and unappreciated. 

Kate

Topeka Kansas 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last