Message Boards

Topic : 08/17 Dr. Phil's Road Show: Newlywed Challenge

Number of Replies: 100
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 04, 2005, 02:39:20 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard3

(Original Air Date: 11/07/05) Dr. Phil takes his show on the road! Newlyweds already on the brink of divorce compete in a series of challenges to see if they have what it takes to work together in less-than-perfect situations. Can the couples find their way around an unfamiliar city with the men driving and the women navigating? How do the men do when they are in charge of their wives' makeovers? They've cheated on each other, have explosive fights and you wouldn't believe the names they call each other. Will their relationships survive the competition? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 7, 2005, 3:37 pm CST

Replying to messages

Quote From: katie_lea

I have a feeling that these next couple of days are going to busy....replying to messages and just reading all of them that people post.  My name is Katie and my huband, Barry, and I are the yellow team.  Just to respond to this quote: when I got pregnant with another man's child, Barry and I had only been seeing each other a few months and he was actually living five states away snowboarding for the winter.  I was very very young and in college at the time and got pregnant from a one night stand.  I told Barry about it and it was HIS choice to stay.  Please please please PLEASE readers, remember that what you see on TV has been edited over and over again and you are never getting the 100% whole story. 
Thanks for identifying yourself on the board, Katie.   Unlike the other couples, at least you and Barry seemed to have a clue as to what you were fighting about!   Brad indicated that "Katie pressured me to marry her. She uses the kids against me, threatens with divorce."  I take it then that you and Barry also have at least one other child besides the child from the one night stand?  How many kids do the two of you have altogether?

November 7, 2005, 3:43 pm CST

Respose

I have a feeling that these next couple of days are going to busy....replying to messages and just reading all of them that people post.  My name is Katie and my huband, Barry, and I are the yellow team.  Just to respond to this quote: when I got pregnant with another man's child, Barry and I had only been seeing each other a few months and he was actually living five states away snowboarding for the winter.  I was very very young and in college at the time and got pregnant from a one night stand.  I told Barry about it and it was HIS choice to stay.  Please please please PLEASE readers, remember that what you see on TV has been edited over and over again and you are never getting the 100% whole story. 

I don't think you have to defend yourself to anybody else.  If it was HIS choice to stay...than he decided he loves you that much is suppose to be willing to work through the hurt.  I ALWAYs keep in mind about the editing and everything---I think that even when you think you know a couple personally for years, you just never know...so why judge after an hour of TV exposure?  Sure , you only paint the picture that your attitudes show, but nobodys perfect and as long as really try and both of you want it, then you'll make it.  My husband and I have been married almost 2 years and we have our days too, everyone does.  Good luck to you and your husband and remember that not all of us are to naive to know we can never know enough until we're there and not all of us judge.  GOOD LUCK! 

November 7, 2005, 3:46 pm CST

my husband loved your show today

Dear Dr. Phil, 

I watch your show daily and I mean every day.  I find your show lifts me up and makes me give up on my self piety on the days that I am down in the dumps.  It has become a common thing in my house to stay clear of the T.V at 4pm or if I miss that show I catch your later one at 6pm.  Any way my husband and 4 children make fun of me daily because of my commitment to your show.  Well  today while I was watching your show my husband noticed the challenge about driving to K-Mart in the Hummers.  It definitely caught his attention (the Hummers that is) and we sat together throught the entier show and laughed and made comments.  I never realized how great we get along.  Just over a year ago we took our 4 children to Anaheim and Sea World which was a major trip for us.  In the 13 days we were all there we never had an argument.  I didn't think this was any amazing feet but atfter watching your show today My husband thinks that we must be the most amazing family in the world...lol   

I realy feel sorry for the newly weds.  We are newly weds our selves and we face a lot of challenges as a total step family (all of our children are from past marrages).  I believe if you are not happy in life then you can't expect someone else to make you happy.  But If you are  a happy person the joy you can have from making others laugh and enjoy life reflects on you 2 fold. 

I think these couples have to all take a good long look in the mirror and ask them selves if they even know what it would take to make them happy.  Not what there spouse should do to make them happy.  Life is about give and take and some times one partner needs to take a little more then the other, down the road the tables will turn and visa versa.  Give and Take, love and live happy.  My husband and I are best friends and I could never imagin saying some of the things I heard today to him or hear them from his lips to me.  Best wishes to you all and remember to think before you speak, sometimes the things we say can leave more than just a sting. 

A & S Parsons 

NS Canada 

November 7, 2005, 3:47 pm CST

Unfair!

Quote From: geekgirl40

I was watching today and saw the newlywed challenge..and thought it a bit unfair. 

As I watched I was thinking how me & my husband would react (best friends, married 21 

years) and was thinking we'd do it this way or that..and how well we'd do....or would we?  

These challenges presented a lot  of pressure on kids who already have a lot of stress.. 

I would be really interested in seeing how couples happily married a long time would do  

under the same pressure ... I would REALLY love to see how Dr. Phil & Robin  

would do in high pressure challenges like this....it's great to sit back and make comments 

about the newlyweds...but it would be really neat if Dr. Phil could show us how the "experts"  

would do...maybe we can all learn something! :-) 

I was thinking the same thing!  We've been married 31 years and we've had some interesting moments doing just those kinds of things over the years.   Friends of mine still laugh about the time my husband went Christmas shopping for me and was so proud of the size 12 outfit he bought me... only to have me explain to him that he had shopped in the young girl's section and had bought me a girls' size 12 instead of an adult 12!  And I know for the makeover he'd blow off what I said I wanted and take the opportunity to have somebody finally cut my hair the way HE wants it done.  The difference between somebody married for a long time and a newlywed is that I'd laugh about it instead of getting mad.   I don't know about you, but I could use some new appliances and bakeware after all these years!!!!  Mine's pretty worn out. 

November 7, 2005, 3:55 pm CST

11/07 Dr. Phil's Road Show: Newlywed Challenge

Quote From: cablekidz

Thanks for identifying yourself on the board, Katie.   Unlike the other couples, at least you and Barry seemed to have a clue as to what you were fighting about!   Brad indicated that "Katie pressured me to marry her. She uses the kids against me, threatens with divorce."  I take it then that you and Barry also have at least one other child besides the child from the one night stand?  How many kids do the two of you have altogether?
Bit of a time line here:
Barry and I started dating in Sept 1999. 
I had our first child in Nov. 2000. (Barry has adopted him and is the only man our son knows as father, of course we will tell him when the time is right)
Nov. 2003 we had our daughter
We got married in July 2004
We had our last child in July 2005.
So three kids altogether.  I know we can make it work for them!!!!!

November 7, 2005, 3:57 pm CST

11/07 Dr. Phil's Road Show: Newlywed Challenge

Well I give you all credit for being on there.  You do help alot of people.  I do not have a perfect life, so don't get me wrong.  I think my reaction was an initial shock to the situation.  I don't like the name calling thing and am not a big name caller.  Although I have lived with one who is.  I think some people like to live that way.  Like all of you are saying you love each other.  To me that is not love.... Love is words like honey, sweetheart... babe... etc.  Those are love words......  whatever....

November 7, 2005, 4:08 pm CST

Thanks!

Bit of a time line here:
Barry and I started dating in Sept 1999. 
I had our first child in Nov. 2000. (Barry has adopted him and is the only man our son knows as father, of course we will tell him when the time is right)
Nov. 2003 we had our daughter
We got married in July 2004
We had our last child in July 2005.
So three kids altogether.  I know we can make it work for them!!!!!
Thanks for the clarification.  I think part of the problem I'm having with the show is that I don't view people who have already had 3 kids together to be newlyweds.   By the time you have that much history together one would think you would already know each other pretty darned well - not like in the "old days" when being a newlywed indicated a couple was living together for the first time and adjusting to each other's day-to-day personal idiosyncracies.   So can you help me out?  What did you think would be or was "new" with marriage?  What did you think it was going to bring to your relationship that wasn't already there?  My kids aren't even close to getting married yet (24 and 27) and I really want to understand how their peers view the world! 

November 7, 2005, 4:20 pm CST

TO ALL COUPLES

This is to each husband and each wife...no exceptions....The show has only been on for ten minutes.  Wish I had the power to wash out each of your mouths with soap.  We don't use that language in our home, nor do our friends.     

R-E-S-P-E-C-T.  It is not just a song.  Respect for self and respect for others.  (And to think I wonder why kids today don't have or show respect?) 

I listed my emotion as embarrassed as none of you have the decency to be ashamed of your behavior,  I will be embarrassed for you! 

darla 

November 7, 2005, 4:30 pm CST

Get out while you can life is too short

I am currently engaged to a man who I have a daughter with and love very much, and like you couples we sem argue about everything. Although Greg is very nonchalant and laid back about a lot of things, he very seldom argues back, instead he chooses to ignore the hell out of me. However he does not realize that this bothers me very much and is one of my pet peeves. I am hopeful for you couples because at least you had the guts and the courage to go ahead and get married dispite all the obstacles and problems you are having. My fiance and me cannot seem tp make it to the alter let alone live together happily ever after. At this point in the relationship I wonder if we ever will get married. Although it seems like you guys are on the brink of divorce their must be some love there in order for you to have gotten married. I only wish Greg and I could be married and raise our daughter together. I believe their is hope and help for all married people who are willing to try. I admire the couple who work so well together and you know who you are, keep up the good work. 

November 7, 2005, 4:54 pm CST

What???

Quote From: rarebeauty

I am currently engaged to a man who I have a daughter with and love very much, and like you couples we sem argue about everything. Although Greg is very nonchalant and laid back about a lot of things, he very seldom argues back, instead he chooses to ignore the hell out of me. However he does not realize that this bothers me very much and is one of my pet peeves. I am hopeful for you couples because at least you had the guts and the courage to go ahead and get married dispite all the obstacles and problems you are having. My fiance and me cannot seem tp make it to the alter let alone live together happily ever after. At this point in the relationship I wonder if we ever will get married. Although it seems like you guys are on the brink of divorce their must be some love there in order for you to have gotten married. I only wish Greg and I could be married and raise our daughter together. I believe their is hope and help for all married people who are willing to try. I admire the couple who work so well together and you know who you are, keep up the good work. 

Let's see:  "I only wish Greg and I could be married and raise our daughter together."  Well, you're already gonna raise a daughter together because that daughter is forever going to link you together.  So this is what I was asking Katie to explain in an earlier post... what do you young people think marriage is going to do to make a troubled relationship better??  Greg chooses to ignore you and you don't think he realizes it bothers you??   What's up with that - are you afraid to tell him it bothers you?  Or have you told him and he does it anyway?  How much good do you think it did these couples to go ahead and get married without working out the obstacles and problems they had before their marriages?  Did they seem happy to you?  What they're trying to point out is that just getting to the altar didn't fix anything.  You said "I believe their is hope and help for all married people who are willing to try."  There are an awful lot of people out there who learned the hard way that you can't expect marriage to fix what's broken -  you've got to fix it. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last