Message Boards

Topic : 08/18 Dr. Phil's Road Show: Newlywed Challenge, Part 2

Number of Replies: 99
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 04, 2005, 02:45:55 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard3

(Original Air Date: 11/08/05) Dr. Phil's Road Show continues as he puts newlyweds to the test! Three barely married couples on the verge of divorce go through a series of stressful challenges so Dr. Phil can see how they really communicate and work together. How will the women do when changing a tire under the direction of their husbands? Plus, what happens when the couples have to learn the Tango in only 30 minutes and then perform for a celebrity judge? Dr. Phil tells them exactly what they need to do if they don't want to end up another divorce statistic. Plus, big prizes for the Road Show winners.  Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 18, 2006, 6:18 pm CDT

08/18 Dr. Phil's Road Show: Newlywed Challenge, Part 2

Quote From: korgi12

I agree with your statement. 

I cannot believe that these folks get rewarded for acting like children. 

Gee whiz i can act like a spoiled brat too..what do I get? 

I hope all of the couples took a nice long look at their behavior; also I hope you had fun fighting on the cruises that you won. 

I don't think others need to judge the couples on the show. We are not all perfect and there are always three sides to the story. In addition to the three sides there is always the past that effects your future. We all don't know how they were raised or their circumstances therefore we all need to that a good look at the way we are raising our children so that maybe the won't end up in these couples situation. Yes these couples acted like children but maybe the were not given the education from their parents. I know I wasn't and I struggle ever day to reprogram the behavior I was shown and therefore I many times fail, but thats OK. I have learned from others how to be in a relationship that is loving and functional- that doesn't mean I'm perfect- far from it. I'm happy for the couples winning the prizes because maybe thats the kick start to put them in the right direction. You must also remember that they were not just handed a check - Dr. Phil called them on their behavior and I'm sure they will review the tapes and perhaps see how others perceive them. They will also be getting counseling. Say a prayer for them and don't be so jealous.

August 19, 2006, 11:30 am CDT

Common Courtesy

Quote From: lizt1103

The one thing that Dr Phil didn't ask them was if they really loved each other.  I just didn't see enough chemistry in these couples.  Despite the fighting and arguing, I think that is the one thing that was missing.  I think the last challenge should have been for each to go on a date see if they really had a love connection.  Relationships need nurtured and need both people to participate.

I agree. These couples seemed unable to show each other even the most basic courtesy you show anyone you'd met on the street, let alone someone you claimed to love.

Also, the couple that ended up winning.....did anyone notice how miserable the husband looked at the end of the show when they were being told what they'd won?!

My guess is as Dr. Phil and Robin were walking out of the studio he told her his real opinion on these couples. I can hear him saying, "I give each couple 6 months!"

August 20, 2006, 4:49 am CDT

Quote From: imcara

I agree. These couples seemed unable to show each other even the most basic courtesy you show anyone you'd met on the street, let alone someone you claimed to love.

Also, the couple that ended up winning.....did anyone notice how miserable the husband looked at the end of the show when they were being told what they'd won?!

My guess is as Dr. Phil and Robin were walking out of the studio he told her his real opinion on these couples. I can hear him saying, "I give each couple 6 months!"

Yep,for the couple that won,he was,probably thinking,"this would be great if I could take my girlfriend"and she was ,probably thinking,"if only my mom could go with me'".I very well remember 

trying to live with a cheating husband and can promise ANYONE,I'll never do that again!!!!!!! I,truly believe that is the most miserable I've ever felt in my life.I dread that trip for her!!!!!.... 

August 20, 2006, 5:06 am CDT

Quote From: jenni35

I took those "Till death do us part" words to heart and really thought my husband and I were in this for the rest of our lives.  Then he left 3 weeks before the one year anniversary and didn't even give a reason (just emptied the house while I was out one day).  He sure jumped ship quickly and I guess he didn't honor those vows.  I keep thinking about them though.  We WENT to premarital counseling and were told that we were getting married for all of the right reasons and that if we nurtured our relationship, we'd probably make it for the rest of our lives.  I just wish I knew what went wrong.

Let's pray for deeker8, that her husband or herself,doesn't get the 5-7 year itch and devastate the other by doing just what yours and mine did!!!!!!! Let's pray that she has a carrer that will allow her to take care of herself"just in case".The sad part is,it will be alot harder for her to let go(if anything should happen)because she committed to him WAY before her time!!!Agree???There is no way to prepare her for what is probable to happen within the next few years,huh?

August 20, 2006, 5:38 am CDT

Quote From: lm82768

Hello, My husband and I have been married for 5 years we normally communicate very well. Lately he has been distant he is getting off of an anti-depressent. Effexor SR is  the name of it. The man that was like his second dad also passed away recently. I know that he is going through a very difficult time right now but i feel like he is shutting me out. I found a conversation to another woman on the computer telling her he'd like to be alot more than friends. That he wanted to loosen up her buttons. In one of them he asked to meet her on a wednesday. Meanwhile our middle daughter just had her first baby so I was out of town. When I got back on thursday my husband had taken off part of the day tuesday and all of wednesday. Now remember this father figure passed away tuesday night.

I found these messages friday morning. I confronted him immediately he says he was just seeing what kind of person she was and took it way to far. That I had every right to be mad. He also said he had never met her and never talked to her on the phone. Should I believe him since there have been no other signs (ever) that he would do something like that. Until now our relationship has been awesome the kind everyone dreams of.

What should i do believe him and move on  or NOT?

Upset,

Fort Smith

This is so sad for you because ,reguardless of what you do from here on out(and you have to make that decision on your own)you'll ,probably never gain the same trust again in him.I am going through a similar situation,but,it doesn't involve another woman,it is about drugs.I found out from trying to live with a cheating husband that,ANOTHER WOMAN REALLY IS THE DEAL-BREAKER! 

Think of yourself and what you're thinking,before you try to stick this out.Can you put this behind you and pretend like it never happened?I couldn't,so I asked him to leave and got a divorce.Mind you,I LOVED HIM WITH EVERY PART OF MYSELF,but,I never deserved him turning to another woman,REGUARDLESS,of how innocent it might have been.There could be an underlying factor of him coming off the medication and the other things,but,you have valid proof that he has been JUST 

confiding in someone,other than the person he should have been talking too.Can you forget that?Again...I couldn't and it was eating me up like cancer everyday I had to think about it and look at him! It is a miserable place to be....please look at this closely,but,don't waste anymore time than you have to figuring out what you need to do.LIFE IS TOOOO SHORT TO LIVE IN DISTRUST!!!!! 

I will be thinking about you and watching to see how things go...Good Luck......bamasbest 

By the way,I have never regreted my decision and that was 22yrs.ago. 

August 20, 2006, 5:54 am CDT

CLARIFING THE MOOD

Quote From: lm82768

Hello, My husband and I have been married for 5 years we normally communicate very well. Lately he has been distant he is getting off of an anti-depressent. Effexor SR is  the name of it. The man that was like his second dad also passed away recently. I know that he is going through a very difficult time right now but i feel like he is shutting me out. I found a conversation to another woman on the computer telling her he'd like to be alot more than friends. That he wanted to loosen up her buttons. In one of them he asked to meet her on a wednesday. Meanwhile our middle daughter just had her first baby so I was out of town. When I got back on thursday my husband had taken off part of the day tuesday and all of wednesday. Now remember this father figure passed away tuesday night.

I found these messages friday morning. I confronted him immediately he says he was just seeing what kind of person she was and took it way to far. That I had every right to be mad. He also said he had never met her and never talked to her on the phone. Should I believe him since there have been no other signs (ever) that he would do something like that. Until now our relationship has been awesome the kind everyone dreams of.

What should i do believe him and move on  or NOT?

Upset,

Fort Smith

Fort Smith,I just wanted to clarify that the sad mood,in my other message,was for your situation.I am happy,today,from thoughts of a 6 month old granddaughter,but not necessarily with my life.I am a strong woman because of things I have been through and I am thankful for everything I've learned from them.............................Again,good luck. 

August 20, 2006, 6:35 pm CDT

Quote From: jenni35

I took those "Till death do us part" words to heart and really thought my husband and I were in this for the rest of our lives.  Then he left 3 weeks before the one year anniversary and didn't even give a reason (just emptied the house while I was out one day).  He sure jumped ship quickly and I guess he didn't honor those vows.  I keep thinking about them though.  We WENT to premarital counseling and were told that we were getting married for all of the right reasons and that if we nurtured our relationship, we'd probably make it for the rest of our lives.  I just wish I knew what went wrong.

I had been married young and a year and a half into  what I thought was a happy nurturing marriage , he up and left. we shared all the same friends and everyone else at the wedding seemed to believe and take to heart the "death do us part' and "better or worse" except the man standing next to me at the alter. Unlike the couples on the show, we rarely argued and encouraged each other through everything. Five months have passed and I can't see where our relationship fell apart. He obviously isn't my soulmate since he could walk out before each of us could go through counsling and give 100% to eachother. We had never gone to counsling and he was totally against it. Being away from me was his only solution. Now I am left in a position where I need to learn something from this sham so I won't be put in the same situation agian. On the up side, I have so much free time on my hands now that I'm not constantly cleaning after him and cooking his meals. I am making a commitment to myself to take care of me first and spend my time in personal enrichment. Doing the things that I have always wanted to do but never the time. Hang in there dolly. Treasure the good times that you had, and stay focused on not letting his lacking of character affect your sanity.

August 20, 2006, 6:42 pm CDT

grow to love

Quote From: lizt1103

The one thing that Dr Phil didn't ask them was if they really loved each other.  I just didn't see enough chemistry in these couples.  Despite the fighting and arguing, I think that is the one thing that was missing.  I think the last challenge should have been for each to go on a date see if they really had a love connection.  Relationships need nurtured and need both people to participate.

As long as they have some sort of common ground, love can still blossom. All in time.

August 21, 2006, 12:04 am CDT

Are they really newleyweds?

Excuse me but I don't consider these couples newlyweds.   They have all lived with one another prior to marrying and some have children from the beginning of the relationalships.  True newlyweds would be a couple who barely knew each other before marrying.

The results are skewed because  the wrong people are being tested.

First | Prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next Page | Last Page