Message Boards

Topic : 08/18 Dr. Phil's Road Show: Newlywed Challenge, Part 2

Number of Replies: 99
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 04, 2005, 02:45:55 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard3

(Original Air Date: 11/08/05) Dr. Phil's Road Show continues as he puts newlyweds to the test! Three barely married couples on the verge of divorce go through a series of stressful challenges so Dr. Phil can see how they really communicate and work together. How will the women do when changing a tire under the direction of their husbands? Plus, what happens when the couples have to learn the Tango in only 30 minutes and then perform for a celebrity judge? Dr. Phil tells them exactly what they need to do if they don't want to end up another divorce statistic. Plus, big prizes for the Road Show winners.  Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 8, 2005, 2:37 pm CST

Basic consideration for the other's feelings is lacking

Quote From: tamboy

I agree with Natalie. 

Communication is the key. My husband and I have been married for just shy of 8 years. We have a 14 year old daughter, and 13 and 6 year old sons. We don't enjoy alot of the same things, but we do make the attempts to try what the other is interested in once in awhile. And when it comes to changing tires, come on ladies....get with the program...it isn't rocket science.  I can change a tire on my F-150 Supercrew 4x4 in under 10 minutes in the snow. My dad wouldn't let me get my drivers licence until I could change a tire.  I also got tired of waiting for things to be fixed around the house so I have taught myself how to rewire lights, change and recode garage doors and how to use all of his power tools. I wanted the house painted, knew he wouldn't do, so I did it myself. He hates to watch movies, but he will take me to the movies once in awhile. I hate watching hockey on tv, but will sit with him and watch a game once in awhile because it is what he enjoys. All three kids play hockey and we try to always go to the games together. He plays hockey too a couple nights a week and I try to go watch him sometimes. He comes to watch me play volleyball sometimes too.  We are not the same people that we were when we met, we have both changed. But we try to help each other through the changes instead of attacking each other.  Talk to each other.  

Tamie 

I'm surprised at the rude way these people talk to the other person. I noticed it mostly from the women.   Calling names and making rude statements like 'you are worthless' is not the way to talk to anyone.  I wouldn't even talk to my dogs like that.  Is it possible they think just because the person has the misfortune to have married them, they have a built-in victim?  Could their parents have talked like that to them?  It's no wonder the marriages are failing.  I think a crash course in charm school or Basic Manners would solve a lot of their problems.  When Dr. Phil said "If you had said that to me, you would be wearing those mushrooms" I agreed with him 100 percent.  If anyone thought they had the right to talk to me like that, I would be out the door and never look back.

November 8, 2005, 2:49 pm CST

Better now than later

My husband and I have been married 10 months. He is 52 and I am 50. His first marriage lasred 18 yrs my first marriage lasted 27 yrs. I'm here to tell you it's a lot tougher in your later years, it's hard to bring together yours, mine and make it ours. At these couples age they need to get off the me,me, me train. If you consider your husband first and he considers his wife first ,usually, everything works itself out.  Any advice for us older newlyweds out there, I could sure use it!!! 

Jennymarie 

November 8, 2005, 2:56 pm CST

Unfair gift giving

I just do not think it was fair to smother one couple with so many more gifts then the others.  These couples all needed some assistance with their own self esteem and making one couple win so much more gifts, in my mind, was not fair.  The other couples could feel less not more confidence because they were not winners.  Also why did they give such a great runner up gift when finally the blue couple won the tango.  It seemed like the yellow couple won even when they lost the challenge. 

November 8, 2005, 3:00 pm CST

11/08 Dr. Phil's Road Show: Newlywed Challenge, Part 2

Hey all, This is my first time on here and I just wanted to say I watched Dr.Phil show today and I can understand how each one of the woman feel.. I been married for 19 years and let me tell you I been though alot and I wonder how it worked out. I been in abuises relationships and I left for a year and 2 months and got back with my husband to work on my marriage sometime I think this isn't going to work at all. I want to talk to others about abuse and sign of it. Than I think how can I when I'am in it myself.. I hope the couples on the show all the luck..  

November 8, 2005, 3:05 pm CST

APPALLED

Dear Dr. Phil. 

Im amazed!!! I've been married 33 years, i currently am enduring a rare brain fungus, and NO ONE ever in my life EVER AWARDED me with FREE trips just to help MY marriage.  I am APALLED by the couple where the cheating on the spouse took place and on national TV have been awarded for their behavior... 

I spent the 1st 10 years fighting my husband and inlaws and my family, the next 15 years fighting his family, raising my kids, working full time!! BUT WAIT  no rewards there for just living... Spent the next 7 years just plain sick with different illnesses.  My husband and i are always there for each other.  Sometimes its not always 50/50, but hey it's called LIFE!!!!!! 

Tell them to get over it and return the free gifts.  Because chances are some of them will NEVER change...... 

Tipseyeyes 

November 8, 2005, 3:10 pm CST

Rewards Over the Top

For the first time I feel the need to post even though I have read the boards many times.  I felt the prizes today were over the top and not what these couples really needed.  Counseling would have better consequences.  I will be married happily to the same man for thirty years in Jan., raised four children. It has been work at times, but the rewards knowing that we love each other very much and God willing,  will grow old together. Thankfully I have lost 92 lbs. this last couple of years and feel like I am in my 30's again.  Dh has always been concientious about taking care.  Going on a cruise or taking a trip to an island is something we will probably never be able to do, because we have always totally devoted our time and financial resourses to raising our children.  Last one starting college this next year.  Now we must save any extra money we have with the constant thoughts of possible job layoffs,  so trips are not on our agenda.  Why don't you reward couples that have worked hard at their marriages and raised good families.  Having a show on that would be more interesting.  

November 8, 2005, 3:26 pm CST

want to make it work

I have been married almost two years and my husband and i fight ALL THE TIME. I watch dr.phil everyday and i try to apply his words of wisdom to my relationship but it is just hard. My husband and i are so diffrent and we come from diffrent families.  I am or use to be a happy go lucky person i had so many friends and i looked at life with such a diffrent aspect than many others. but my husband is very diffrent he is rude and never sees good in anything he doesnt have any goals and is so selfish. I blam his family and the way he was raised. I love to be around my family and love to have my best friend who might as well be my sister and her family over all the time and my husband is so rude to them it has gotten to the point that my mom will not come over and wont talk to me on the phone when he is around because of his manorism. He says really mean things to me all the time and i cry just about everyday. Everyone that knows us has told me to leave but dont want to give up on him, I love him and  i want things to work. does anyone have any advise that would help me make my marriage last/ 

November 8, 2005, 3:36 pm CST

Life Is Great

I feel sorry for all these couples.  They aren't even aware of how happy they truly can be.  Having someone to share your life with who loves you and put you above all is just amazing.  I hope Dr. Phil can help them realize what a great life they can have by just putting in the effort and wanting it bad enough.

November 8, 2005, 3:43 pm CST

11/08 Dr. Phil's Road Show: Newlywed Challenge, Part 2

Quote From: jennymarie

My husband and I have been married 10 months. He is 52 and I am 50. His first marriage lasred 18 yrs my first marriage lasted 27 yrs. I'm here to tell you it's a lot tougher in your later years, it's hard to bring together yours, mine and make it ours. At these couples age they need to get off the me,me, me train. If you consider your husband first and he considers his wife first ,usually, everything works itself out.  Any advice for us older newlyweds out there, I could sure use it!!! 

Jennymarie 

Continue to put each other first.  Don't sweat the small stuff .   At your age I'm assuming your children are grown and leading their own lives.  Just remember your new husband is your life now and his happiness is the only one that really counts now.  If your children don't agree with the decisions the two of you make "Oh well"  The two of you are all that matter now.  Enjoy the rest of your lives making each other happy! 

November 8, 2005, 3:43 pm CST

Hmmmm

Quote From: vstierlen

I just do not think it was fair to smother one couple with so many more gifts then the others.  These couples all needed some assistance with their own self esteem and making one couple win so much more gifts, in my mind, was not fair.  The other couples could feel less not more confidence because they were not winners.  Also why did they give such a great runner up gift when finally the blue couple won the tango.  It seemed like the yellow couple won even when they lost the challenge. 
 I somewhat agree...however, I think it's silly to give these couples gifts to begin with.  Will they even appreciate them? I understand that they put themselves out there on national television, but they aren't even nice to each other and they are winning trips, etc. The only thing I feel they should be winning is counseling...but that's just me :)

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last