Message Boards

Topic : 11/11 Dating Disasters

Number of Replies: 142
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 04, 2005, 02:52:56 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard3

If you’ve been asking yourself "How can I find a man?" Dr. Phil's Dating 101 is for you! Lexi thinks her cousin, Angel, is too shallow because she will not date a man unless he's a perfect 10. Dr. Phil puts Angel to the test by setting her up on three blind dates — and she’s the blind one!  Then, meet Heather, 27, who wants her meddling mother to stop joining her on her dates! Her mom, Anita, says she enjoys being the third wheel and loves staying in touch with her daughter's ex-boyfriends. Dr. Phil challenges Anita to find three eligible bachelors for her daughter, go on dates with them, and then narrow it down to one lucky man!  Plus, a single woman wants to know why all her online dates just want to have sex.  Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More November 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 11, 2005, 2:21 pm CST

What the heck is the Getty?!?!

They mentioned "The Getty" 

Just wondering what it is. 

:) 

November 11, 2005, 2:40 pm CST

I cannot believe this one

I watch Dr. Phil everyday.  I watch his show because as part of life we grow each and everyday, and I have learned a lot by watching and saw things in myself that I had not realized or maybe were too stubborn to see.  While watching the show on Friday, November 11, 2005, there was a black female Angel who had high standards for the men she dated.  I have a 22 year old daughter who is not in a relationship with anyone, because she has high standards.  I am only upset and offended not by her choice of men, because the best choice (in my opinion), is the one who treats you right all of the time, but because she stated that black males don't know how to treat a women.  I met my wife almost ten years ago, and we wined and dined and still do.  My wife deserves the finest things in life and gets them, but she also takes the smaller things in life.  I cant take her anywhere from a 5 star restaurant to Mc Donald's and she will be just as happy.  My wife finds that the time we have together will always hold more weight in life than, where we go.  I just found that statement shallow, because all black men are not just out for one thing, or want to short a woman on a good time.  I hope that she finds a good partner in her life, but I hope that she also finds herself.

November 11, 2005, 2:55 pm CST

Lexi

I am just shock at the comments Lexi had to say about black men. Maybe Lexi should take a good look at her self and try to figure out why she meets poor quality black men I think you attract what you project out there . I am a black woman and I have been to events, very expensive restaurants, my boyfriend paid for a Caribbean vacation for me to join my sister. So I'm not sure where she's coming from with her ignorant comments and to top it off she has the nerves to talk about people looks sorry MS.Lexi but you are far from being Hally Berry our self.

November 11, 2005, 2:59 pm CST

Amen Brother!

Quote From: djad2u

I watch Dr. Phil everyday.  I watch his show because as part of life we grow each and everyday, and I have learned a lot by watching and saw things in myself that I had not realized or maybe were too stubborn to see.  While watching the show on Friday, November 11, 2005, there was a black female Angel who had high standards for the men she dated.  I have a 22 year old daughter who is not in a relationship with anyone, because she has high standards.  I am only upset and offended not by her choice of men, because the best choice (in my opinion), is the one who treats you right all of the time, but because she stated that black males don't know how to treat a women.  I met my wife almost ten years ago, and we wined and dined and still do.  My wife deserves the finest things in life and gets them, but she also takes the smaller things in life.  I cant take her anywhere from a 5 star restaurant to Mc Donald's and she will be just as happy.  My wife finds that the time we have together will always hold more weight in life than, where we go.  I just found that statement shallow, because all black men are not just out for one thing, or want to short a woman on a good time.  I hope that she finds a good partner in her life, but I hope that she also finds herself.
i agree with you 100%

her statements made me wonder what her father was like.

November 11, 2005, 3:04 pm CST

Re: What is The Getty

Quote From: c0da86

They mentioned "The Getty" 

Just wondering what it is. 

:) 

It is a museum in Los Angeles.  I believe it is affiliated with an educational institution.  Here is a link to the website:   http://www.getty.edu

November 11, 2005, 3:14 pm CST

The Young Lady from Friday's show!!!!!!!!!

I would like to start by saying I have grown to really enjoy the Dr Phil show and watch it whenever I can. I never envisioned myself posting an opinion on a message board regarding someone I do not know, but I was so bothered by this woman "Lexy" I think was her name (black female) who only date tall, attractive, white men.    I being an open minded black female was so embarrassed by her and I can only hope that Dr Phil will invite her back again when the topic is "self esteem", "loving one's race" and" being proud of who you are" this lady has bigger, deep rooted issues than finding a date!   I understand how hard it is being a single female, and very understanding of having preferences HOWEVER,  I always am intrigued by both men and women (of African American heritage) who so desperately try to separate themselves from their own race and only date outside of their race.   I am very open minded to interracial dating but those that SPECIFICALLY only date outside of their race has hate for themselves,in my opinion.  For her to state that she would rather date someone who treat her badly but is good looking tells me a lot about her.   I think the African American race has enough outside prejudices to deal with , without negative influence from within our race.  The black man that she obviously "clicked" with the most she would deny simply because he was black....(self hate)   In an attempt not to sound Caddy or judgmental -she is not the most attractive woman around and to set such standards for her date is ridiculous!  Again I hope that Dr Phil being the highly intelligent man that he is saw right through her, and offer her additional advice, other than how to find a suitable date.   She needs lots of counseling.

November 11, 2005, 3:17 pm CST

11/11 Dating Disasters

What is so bad about being single??  I find myself single (for 4 years) and content.  Yes, there are things I do not have in life, but there are always 'costs' with any lifestyle.  I recently looked at on-line dating, but decided that it would most likely be a 'wild-goose chase' for the other person.  This is not to say that all people should be as I am--far from it! :)  But it does worry me that many have a preoccupation with marriage.  Perhaps it reflects that we were created for relationships. 

November 11, 2005, 3:22 pm CST

Totally agaree

Quote From: kodonnell

I don't know what made Lexi think that she is all she seems to think she is.  To be honest, even though she SAYS that she believes she is every mans dream, I believe deep down inside of her she doesn't feel that way AT ALL--- Hard to believe after what we all just watched, right?  But it HAS to be true--- why?? Because she said that she would take ANY HOTT guy no matter HOW he treated her... What an awful thing to say about yourself!!!  If that's really how she feels, she should replace her ego with a BRAIN.  I'm just shocked to see someone (especially a WOMAN!) who's so shallow about what a man would look like....  And, in my opinion, Lexi is no complete fashion model... she isn't perfect in every way, none of us are... so that's horrible that she'd judge someone so superficially by their outer exterior.  

And for the mom who meddles, wow.... you gave your daughter's ex boyfriend a honeymoon in Hawaii?? WHY??  LOL  

November 11, 2005, 3:22 pm CST

I think this was kind of a put on

Quote From: musicmin

I agree with those who said Dr. Phil dropped the ball on the segment about Angel.   Although she says she's a perfect 10, I wonder if she really believes that.  To say you'd stay with someone even if they mistreat you shows (IMO) some pretty low self-esteem... like she needs to elevate her own self-worth by showing the world, "See, I must be pretty wonderful if this great-looking man wants to be with me."

Also, I was kind of disappointed Dr. Phil did not ask her this... if you do get married, guess what?  You are going to age.  So is your mate.  He may grow a bit of a belly, lose his hair, lose his teeth or need thick glasses.  He may get sick.   Would you leave him b/c his physical appearance and health is no longer what it once was?

Also, those things may happen to YOU as you age.  Would you want your man to leave you b/c you no longer "look good"?

I hope she re-evaluates her attitude, otherwise I fear she's in for an empty life full of disappointment.  :(

I'm beginning to think that some of the people on the show are set ups.  This entire show really wasn't taken seriously, to my thinking.  If people are this shallow now adays, and SHOW IT ON TV FOR THE WORLD TO SEE, then...I give up dating anyone.   

I'm 47, and frankly havent seen anything on TV that addresses my demographic.  I'm single, no kids, OVERWEIGHT BUT NOT HIDEOUS, and cannot find a date with a compass and a map.   If people are this shallow, and shows like this one cater to this kind of superficiality, then I am giving up and dropping out of dating altogether.   

Disgusted with everyone's shallowness, 

me 

November 11, 2005, 3:25 pm CST

This is just not usual

Quote From: jenbug

I agree so much with what you said and my grandmother told me that too. I have got on a dating site and have meet alot of nice people and then some that only want one thing and I have been talking with 2 guys that are both christians and they are liking me for me since we live about 2 hours away and they are getting to know me for me and not what i look like and that is great and am just letting god control things.thanks

There is no way this is the usual thing that happens.  It's a rarity.  The entire notion of "SOUL MATES" in and of itself is just a joke to me, as well.  How many soul mates can a person have anyway?  With divorce at at least 50%, it seems very fantasy driven.   

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next | Last