Message Boards

Topic : 11/17 The Search for Natalee and Amy

Number of Replies: 927
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 11, 2005, 05:33:38 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Eighteen-year-old Natalee Holloway disappeared early last summer during a senior class trip to the island of Aruba. On a recent show, Dr. Phil joined the search for the missing teen and broke new ground in the case. He called for a boycott of Aruba and put his own investigators on the trail. Now, two months later, Natalee's mother feels there is a strong chance her daughter is still alive. Hear, for the first time ever, the evidence she reveals to Dr. Phil. Also, learn how effective the boycott is and why a pair of Dr. Phil's rescuers found themselves in need of a rescue.  Plus, Natalee's disappearance bears similarities to the case of another young woman who went missing in the same region. Meet the parents of Amy Bradley and see what strong evidence has them holding onto hope that their daughter is still alive.  Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More November 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 16, 2005, 7:17 am CST

Natalee going all the way to Aruba

It's bad what may have happened to Natalee and I hope everything turn out o.k.

One thing I can't understand is why Natalee's mother let her go all the way to Aruba.  I wasn't allowed to even stay at home alone when I was around her age or maybe older.  When I was 18 my Dad said that I (and my twin sister) could go to a concert about 50 miles away  with a friend and his mom if my Mom went with me.  Do any of you feel the same as I do?  Tell me what you feel.

November 16, 2005, 7:33 am CST

11/17 The Search for Natalee

Quote From: juliet2861

Natalee Holloway is not the only one that dissapeard on this island, Amy Bradly did too.  I've been to Aruba and really have nothing against it.  People may be upset because it's run differen't then the U.S.  and may blame Aruba.  There are a few things that should have probably been done differently and that's probably one thing that angers people.  If it was one of the safest places on earth people wouldn't be dissapearing off the island.  When you travel to Aruba that's definetly not what they tell ya.  You can easily be takin off that island for whatever reason expecially at that age.  It's not only Aruba, you could dissapear in Jamaica or any island i'm sure for that matter.  If someone wanted you that bad nothing supprises me anymore.  I just think someone started looking into the wrong things when they started. 

PEOPLE ARE DISSAPEARING ËVERYDAY"IN THE UNITED STATES AND LITTLE KIDS ARE BEING RAPED AND MURDERED EVERY DAY, SHOULD WE BOYCOTT THE U.S. TOO? 

PLEASE DON'T BE SUCH HYPOCRITES!!!!! 

November 16, 2005, 8:04 am CST

how can we say any thing good about them when the good people the good juge covers up something like that. hlthcareit

how can u say this never happend before they send the girls to venasyala or is that just a subject your country does not like
to talk about u guys house the crimanals.
 i say we boycott all your islands. i hope all the countrys boycott u then have 24/7 watch of your land air water and nothing comming in or out untill every missing persons on your islands is found.aruba78
MAN I CANT BELIVE U GUYS COULD SELL SOMEONE LIKE THAT!!!!!

November 16, 2005, 9:44 am CST

Wow

Quote From: eric000

how can we say any thing good about them when the good people the good juge covers up something like that. hlthcareit

how can u say this never happend before they send the girls to venasyala or is that just a subject your country does not like
to talk about u guys house the crimanals.
 i say we boycott all your islands. i hope all the countrys boycott u then have 24/7 watch of your land air water and nothing comming in or out untill every missing persons on your islands is found.aruba78
MAN I CANT BELIVE U GUYS COULD SELL SOMEONE LIKE THAT!!!!!

And you don't think human trafficking happens in the United States? A house of prostitution was just found out in Detroit earlier this year. They had kidnapped, under-age girls working there. The victims and the perpetrators were all U.S. citizens and it took place on American soil. I am sure the customers were also American citizens and probably knew that the girls were underaged. 

Many Arubans searched for Natalee without pay. Just because there may have been a few bad apples doesn't mean that every man, woman, and child of Aruba should be demonized. The city that my suburb is from has had many missing young girls who have never been found just in the past 2 years. Should they be boycotted? 

What about the American businessmen and doctors and lawyers who go over to countries like Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia, and the Phillipines to have sex with underaged boys and girls. Sometimes if a girl is found to be a favorite she is then "sold" to the American, or Canadian, or European businessman and brought back to their home. Rich American and European men are some of the biggest perpertrators of human trafficking. If you don't think that we have sex slaves or do human trafficking you have a lot to learn.  

And many illegal sweatshops with slave labor have also been busted in this country. 

I hope for Natalee's safe return. Sadly, we don't even know if she was kidnapped or even if those guys were involved. Even if she was trafficked, wouldn't those guys have just murdered her, why would they have trafficked her? We don't even know if she was murdered. She may have just been drunk and fell and hurt her head or fallen in the ocean. (A lot of people, when they are drunk, think that they can swim and end up killing themselves.) I am not saying that this is what necessarily happened, but anything is a possibility. 

Also learn how to spell the countries that you feel must be boycotted. 

November 16, 2005, 10:44 am CST

Facts about botched case

Quote From: aruba78

I have read so many negativity about Aruba and her people. It makes me sick to see the story of the dissapearance of Natalee Holloway being twisted in such a way without even knowing all the facts surrounding this case (the investigation which is still an ongoing as a matter of fact!). Yes, I am a resident of Aruba, yes I have followed the developments in this case and yes this IS an ISOLATED case, something like this has NEVER happened before on this island! Just for all the people who hear just ONE side off the story and base their conclusions on that information only, here are some facts and questions that I would like to share, just for you to think about it....  

As soon as Natalee Holloway dissapeared every possible available resource was used to try and find her. Me and many of my collegues went actively looking for her here on the island!!! The Dutch military, the Aruban law enforcement, the voluntary search and rescue, everyone who could help did get involved in the search for Natalee! And yes, the FBI helped in the investigation TOO, we even had F-16's from the Netherlands flying over Aruba to help in the search!!! Despite all this effort until this day there is NO trace of Natalee Holloway. So now my question, with all this help why are the Aruban people being blamed for not finding here? Another strange thing in this case, Natalee Holloway came to Aruba with a large group of students and chaperones. They all left Aruba without her, knowing she was missing! The local authorities didn't even get a chance to interview them and get their statements! Actually I find it quite strange that just moments after Natalee was reported missing her family came to Aruba in a private jet, claiming Natalee was kidnapped, so I ask myself: what information did the family have that the local autorities didn't have? 

Let's put all of that aside for a moment; the 3 boys who were last seen with Natalee were indeed arrested, and yes, later released, but in the Aruban judicial system you CANNOT keep someone imprisoned if there is NO EVIDENCE of a crime even being commited!!! To make sure that the judge in this case was impartial, a judge from another island was flown in to handle the case!    

I just cannot understand people talking about boycotting a whole island for 1 case in which the locals have done their UPMOST to be helpfull. There are so many strange things surrounding this case. So many unanswered questions.... One of the reasons the family of Natalee Holloway gave for even asking for a boycott of Aruba was because the 3 suspects who in their opinion KILLED Natalee, were released from prison. So now I really cannot understand this supposed new twist, if Natalee is alive, as they now believe (and I really hope she is) what are they now basing this supposed boycott upon????   

I have to say people can talk about boycotting an island which happens to be one of the SAFEST PLACES on earth! I am 100% SURE that those people who are even mentioning this are those people who have never even been to Aruba...  But hey, I am just waiting to see the supposed new developments in this case, and really hope that this time both sides of the story will be told. And as this is a blessed island, I really think the truth will come out some day, and life will be as peaceful as it always was and will be on our 'one happy island'.... 

I'm sure it's hard for you to give a subjective look at the Natalee Holloway investigation, Aruba78, because it is your home and probably has a special place in your heart.  Just so you're aware, I vacationed on Aruba for ten days about 2 years ago, and I LOVED it.  The people were friendly and it was a perfect vacation, and you're right, the island is safe.  What concerns me, is the competancy of the investigators of the case.  When Dave Holloway first went to the island to look for his missing daughter, one of the police officers asked him how much money he has.  That is totally unprofessional!  Also, the prosecutor (in the earlier days of the case) is good friends with Paulus van der Sloot.  I'm convinced that this had much to do with the incompetancy of the Aruban police force/investigation team throughout the whole investigation.  Also, the FBI WAS NOT ALLOWED TO HELP WITH THE INVESTIGATION, they were only allowed to view documents and observe interrogations.  It also is a proven fact that the interrogations were totally messed up.  There were no follow-up questions during questioning; in a signed statement by Joran van der Sloot, he said that he thinks "Deepak raped and killed her."  The Aruban investigators left it at that, they didn't bother to ask why he killed her, or where her body is.  I know you might think that because crimes like this don't happen on Aruba, that they didn't know how to handle it as good as investigators in the USA could.  But it has nothing to do with that, it's common sense to ask follow up questions, even I would know how to do that and I have no experience in law enforcement and I'm from a town in Iowa that has not had any crimes in the last twenty years.  There seems to be an extreme lack of common sense on the part of the Aruban officials.  They've yanked the family around so much hoping they'd give up.  I don't think that's going to happen.  The only way to get the officials to wake up and realize they need to get their incompetant butts in gear is to hit them where it hurts--their tourism industry.  I shall be vacationing in the U.S. Virgin Islands this year.

November 16, 2005, 11:50 am CST

WRONG

Quote From: natia77

this REALLY MAKES FOR A NICE STORY, EVEN A MAKE FOR TV MOVIE. 

IN REGARDS TO YOUNG WOMEN BEING FORCED INTO THE SEX TRADE AND SOLD AS SLAVES HERE IN ARUBA IS COMPLETELY LUDICROUS.  There are so many beautiful Latin American ladies and young girls that would do anything to get off the streets from mostly Colombia and get the Visa necessary to work as a legal prostitute here on the island for 3 months.  In the ABC islands and the rest of the Dutch Kingdom and Holland, and quite a few states in the US this is legal.  Here on the island the rules are a little more strict than mainland Holland, but you need to pass all the necessary exams and if selected for a Visa and this 3 months permit you are only permitted to work in a specific Red District Bar which all of them are at one end of the island by the ex Exxon Refinery, now a Valera one, .  These ladies are checked every week by the doctors and need to leave the island in 3 mo. when their permits expire. 

Now to say that Nathalee was abducted in Aruba and be sold into sex trade is not true.   It is my personal believe that the Dutch boy and the tree Surinamese brothers are responsible for her being missing.  But in any case the sex trade is very much regulated and very  sought after by LA girls mostly Colombians and Venezuelans,    .  Now if you open any yellow pages in the US you will see many massage parlors with drug addicts prostituting and spreading VD's UN regulated. 

That is why I say the comment by Mr. Sherlock 007 here will make for a good story, which he will find right in his back yard. 

Dr. Phil please be objective in your pursuit of  Nathalee and or ratings.  I hope, and everyone in Aruba wants this case to be solved.  You do not need to destroy a whole island nation doing that. 

It is not fair for anyone involved or not. 

Although prostitution happens in the US, it is NOT legal in quite a few states, like you falsely stated.  It's only legal in Nevada, outside of city limits.  And they are not stating that she was sold into slavery in Aruba, they are saying she was sold to Venezuela or Columbia.  Blonde Americans are probably a hot commodity down there.

November 16, 2005, 2:20 pm CST

Quote From: artemis21

And you don't think human trafficking happens in the United States? A house of prostitution was just found out in Detroit earlier this year. They had kidnapped, under-age girls working there. The victims and the perpetrators were all U.S. citizens and it took place on American soil. I am sure the customers were also American citizens and probably knew that the girls were underaged. 

Many Arubans searched for Natalee without pay. Just because there may have been a few bad apples doesn't mean that every man, woman, and child of Aruba should be demonized. The city that my suburb is from has had many missing young girls who have never been found just in the past 2 years. Should they be boycotted? 

What about the American businessmen and doctors and lawyers who go over to countries like Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia, and the Phillipines to have sex with underaged boys and girls. Sometimes if a girl is found to be a favorite she is then "sold" to the American, or Canadian, or European businessman and brought back to their home. Rich American and European men are some of the biggest perpertrators of human trafficking. If you don't think that we have sex slaves or do human trafficking you have a lot to learn.  

And many illegal sweatshops with slave labor have also been busted in this country. 

I hope for Natalee's safe return. Sadly, we don't even know if she was kidnapped or even if those guys were involved. Even if she was trafficked, wouldn't those guys have just murdered her, why would they have trafficked her? We don't even know if she was murdered. She may have just been drunk and fell and hurt her head or fallen in the ocean. (A lot of people, when they are drunk, think that they can swim and end up killing themselves.) I am not saying that this is what necessarily happened, but anything is a possibility. 

Also learn how to spell the countries that you feel must be boycotted. 

You are absolutely right. I believe that a sex trade ring was recently broken up in San Francisco. The people involved were luring women to the U.S. from Korea and then keeping them in brothels as sex slaves/prostitutes.  

Huh. SO should everyone now boycott San Francisco?  

November 16, 2005, 2:46 pm CST

I am an Aruban citizen and it hurts so much that because of this tragedy now we have US states boycotting us. To Natalee's family I want you to know that we are there with you, but you have to understand that we don't find it fair that all of us have to pay for the mistakes of a person/ group. I truely hope they can solve this case once and for all because otherwise we'll have to pay for someone else's broken dishes. It isn't fair that your daughter is lost, but it isn't fair either that more than 100000 residents have to pay. Do you want us to starve? Tourism is our biggest income and if we don't get tourists we won't survive. Again w're sorry for this but we shouldn't have to pay...

November 16, 2005, 3:03 pm CST

This is what I mean with getting the facts before judging!

Quote From: juliet2861

Natalee Holloway is not the only one that dissapeard on this island, Amy Bradly did too.  I've been to Aruba and really have nothing against it.  People may be upset because it's run differen't then the U.S.  and may blame Aruba.  There are a few things that should have probably been done differently and that's probably one thing that angers people.  If it was one of the safest places on earth people wouldn't be dissapearing off the island.  When you travel to Aruba that's definetly not what they tell ya.  You can easily be takin off that island for whatever reason expecially at that age.  It's not only Aruba, you could dissapear in Jamaica or any island i'm sure for that matter.  If someone wanted you that bad nothing supprises me anymore.  I just think someone started looking into the wrong things when they started. 
Just to clarify your information: Amy Bradley never dissapeared on Aruba!!!! So maybe you should check the information before stating things that are not true! She went missing on a cruiseship, the cruiseship was en route to Curacao, another island in the Caribbean. But she was last seen ON THE CRUISESHIP and did not go missing IN ARUBA!!! Just to give you some details, below I copied some information from the FBI website about this case fro you to read, please check out the rest of the information at www.fbi.gov: THE DETAILS

Amy Bradley was reported missing in the early morning hours of March 24, 1998. She was last seen by family members sitting on the balcony outside their cabin aboard the Rhapsody of the Seas cruise ship. The ship was en route to Curacao, Antilles at the time Amy was last seen. The ship docked in Curacao shortly after Amy was discovered missing. Extensive searches on the ship and at sea have produced no signs of Amy's whereabouts. This investigation is ongoing. 

November 16, 2005, 3:10 pm CST

I care, do you?

IT's horrible that these messages say things like "sex trade in aruba is ludicrise" and "sex trade happens in the US too". These people obviously arnt educated on the whole SEX TRADE topic. The Sex Trade happens in every country and yes, women are FORCED into it. In such areas of the world like central Europe, South America, and yes...ARUBA.......pretty girls, especially blond hair blue eyes, go for a higher price. These pimps will go to any lengths because they make so much money, but it's very corrupt with little to no punishments. Women who are kidnapped are taken to other countries, and when they're found, they are treated like illegal aliens and are transported back to where it all began; being put into the arms of the pimps again. I believe this poor girl is alive, and these crooks are going to great lengths to keep her. Women in the sex trade are forced to service atleast 20 men a day, with little food or water and if they refuse....they're beaten. IF YOU THINK YOUR COUNTRY IS SEX TRADE FREE......YOU'RE COMPLETLY IGNORANT TO THE ENTIRE SITUATION.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last