Message Boards

Topic : 06/02 "My Annoying Family"

Number of Replies: 423
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 11, 2005, 05:35:34 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 11/18/05) Too many of us have that one family member whose rude, crude, obnoxious behavior gets under our skin and annoys us to death. Krista and Kim are sisters married to two brothers who they say are the most annoying husbands on the planet! They talk loudly, make inappropriate sexual comments and take pride in their bodily functions. See what happens when Dr. Phil turns the tables, and these guys get a taste of their own medicine. Then, Becky's daughter and sister say she has a mouth like a sailor and is always embarrassing them. Becky says she's just opinionated, honest and blunt. Will Becky learn to see their point of view and clean up her act? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 18, 2005, 8:19 am CST

Refreshing

I grew up in a household that was very rigid.  No TV, no totalphone, no soda, etc.  When I was in high school, I went to a friend's house for Easter.  She warned me about how her family was very embarrassing to her.  Her mom was full of energy and we could barely consume the food before she had the entire meal cleaned up.  Her two cousins started to playfight over the leftovers.  One of them took the loaf of bread (wrapped in paper, of course), put it in between her legs and yelled to her cousin, "Do you still want it now?"  I thought that this was hilarious and have enjoyed spending time with the family ever since.   

I'm actually no longer friends with the girl(long story), but I still have a relationship with her family.  Her mom refers to me as her other daughter.  She has to change who she is around her real daughter so she doesn't embarrass her.  She'll often comment that she couldn't do this or say this around her real daughter like she can in front of me.  I think it's a shame that people are worried about what strangers think of their family members' behavior instead of trying to understand where it comes from. 

It's always refreshing to me to spend time with these people.  They are full of life and they call it as they see it.  They have had a big role in who I've become (whether people like it or not).   I love to add shock value to any dull conversation, which I often do by sharing true stories about  my own wacky family.    

November 18, 2005, 8:20 am CST

sailor mouth

I dont think that she has a bad mouth all the time, sure there is a place and time for everything but sometimes you have to make the place and time because some people are just to afraid tospeak up themselves, I have people tell me that I am the same way sometimes but I just tell them if they dont like what I say then leave. And if you dont want to know the answer then dont ask the question. 

YOU GO GIRL 

November 18, 2005, 8:22 am CST

Sisters Married to Brothers

I'm watching the show right now and I have to agree with another post,  I really think this is a non-issue to a large degree.  These men seem funny, light hearted and sweet, something many women would trade for in a minute.  Life is serious enough, every day.  They obviously love their wives and I can't figure out why a woman would be offended by her husband remarking that he wants to see her naked!  I think these women are picky, whiny princesses!

November 18, 2005, 8:24 am CST

My annoying relatives

After seeing the show I can relate with many of the family complaints.  Whether it be me that doesn't think before I speak or say something just not right.  BUT I have a family member that just annoys me to death.  An in-law I like to have family dinners at my house.  My husband likes to be home and we all love my cooking as for everyone else.  So it's no problem except when we invite the one aunt.  I find myself cringing having her over for dinner.  Don't get me wrong the lady is a wonderful person would do anything for anyone.  Get right to it she has eating disorders.  She will say she hasn't eaten in days then you see her eating so much food.  Double-decker sandwiches with all the fixins about 4 of them then she will go on to the next course.  Whatever that may be fill her entire plate with one thing then after that go on to the next and so on.  And not only do you get full just watching her do that she then has to carry on a conversation with a ton of food in her mouth.  My family refuses to come have dinner when she is invited.  My stepfather has a weak stomach and has stated "I mean no disrespect but I just can't stomach her."  I caught myself 2 years ago telling her to eat first before they (her and her mother) came.  I said I was only having snack food.  Well of course I didn't and she then gorged once again.   I feel it is very ingnorant for her to come to my home and simply eat like a PIG!!  I put alot of money and time in preparing dinners for someone to then vomit it up.  There is one thing we don't understand how someone could eat like her and not have to automatically vomit.  She will stay for 4 or 5 hours after dinner and keep it in her stomach.  It's very puzzling.  I could go on and on about her discusting eating behaviors but I won't am I just being nagging or is ther a problem here.

November 18, 2005, 8:27 am CST

She's great

Oh, where can I find someone like that.  So many women seem to be so laid back, so simple minded, so easy to push around, so afraid they'll hurt someone's feelings.  Becky is great.  Certainly she may push too hard some times, but the part about the cake frosting was really funny.  She tries to be funny and there's really too little of that today.  Too much worry about "political correctness."  If others don't like the way she acts, let them stay away.  Send her to me.  Or someone like her.  This activity could well be not that she wants to be the center of attention, but that she likes to see people happy, enjoying themselves.

November 18, 2005, 8:28 am CST

lighten up

The sisters married to brothers need to lighten up. As a 59 year old conservative member of the clergy, my wife of 35 years wants them to know that they will not change. I do try not to embarrass her in public. Would not do the lawn ornament thing or the condom thing, but often tell her how I want to see her when I come home. Maybe a little self-control would help, but they seem to be fun loving, and able to laugh at themselves as demonstrated with the limo driver. There are too many people out there with no sense of humor that make life miserable to others. We have great family times together and enjoy many of the things that the guys seem to enjoy.

November 18, 2005, 8:29 am CST

annoying friend

OH MY GOODNESS!!!! my friends husband is the most annoying person i have ever known! every weekend it never fails that he is getting drunk and telling people how to run their marriages! i mean wow! he just doesnt know when to stop. i have confronted him about it and he doesnt bring any of that non sense around me anymore. but every once and a while i can hear him in the hallway or down stairs talking to some poor unsuspecting person about how to make his or her wife or husband happy.

November 18, 2005, 8:42 am CST

I wish I was more like the "outgoing" sister

I watched the show this morning and I want to say...the sister who her family thinks she is horrible for being so outspoken ... I wish I was more like.  Yes, I do believe there are certain situations where you need to be more "conservative" but I also wish that I was more like her.  I have a "panic disorder" and it prevents me from living life to the fullist.....which if you do not have this disorder, you can not even TRY to imagine what it is like.  The "outgoing" sister seems to me that she does what she wants, when she wants and it doesn't bother her what people think or say.  The family knows she is this way.....don't try and change her....love her and accept her. 

November 18, 2005, 8:55 am CST

Quote From: kandyland2

HI; I JUST READ YOUR POST, FIRST, I WANT TO SAY THAT I FEEL FOR YOU IN YOUR LOSSES, AND THEN, ON TOP OF ALL THAT, THE MAN YOU MARRY TURNS OUT TO BE A SELFISH JERK; I TRULY HOPE THAT YOU'RE REALISING THAT YOU CAN TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF IN OTHER WAYS BESIDES HAVING A MAN IN YOUR LIFE. SECOND, TO ADDRESS WHAT YOU SAID ABOUT THE WOMEN ON THE SHOW "these two women are so worried about petty, and some of the fun things in life." WELL, FOR ONE THING, THESE "ANNOYANCES" ARE HAPPENING TO THEM, NOT YOU, AND THEY HAVE FEELINGS, AND WHAT THEIR HUSBANDS ARE SAYING AND DOING IS HURTING THEIR FEELINGS; I HAD TO POINT THIS OUT TO MY OWN HUSBAND; HE'D SAY THINGS SIMILAR TO THOSE HUSBANDS ON THE SHOW; I TOLD HIM THAT THE COMMENTS WEREN'T GETTING HIM WHAT HE WANTED, AND THEN HE REALISED THAT IT WAS HURTING NOT ONLY MY FEELINGS, BUT HURTING THE TRUST AND FRIENDSHIP IN OUR RELATIONSHIP. I BELIEVE THAT ALL THESE WOMEN WERE ASKING FOR IS SOME DIGNITY AND RESPECT OUT OF THEIR HUSBANDS. I DO BELIEVE THAT THEY CHERISH THEM AND LOVE THEM, BUT TO TELL THEM TO "LIGHTEN UP" IS DISMISSING THEIR FEELINGS ABOUT THE RUDE OR INAPPROPRIATE COMMENTS AND OTHER GESTURES. YOU NEVER REALLY KNOW HOW SOMEONE FEELS ABOUT THINGS UNTIL YOU'VE WALKED IN THEIR SHOES. 

I JUST GOT THROUGH READING YOUR POST AND I CAN UNDERSTAND SOME OF WHAT YOU ARE GOING THROUGH.  I HAVE NOT LOST ANYONE CLOSE TO ME BY DEATH BUT I HAVE LOST CUSTODY OF MY SON 8 YRS AGO {he was only 3 yrs old when i lost custody} & NOW IT'S BEEN 5YRS SINCE I HAVE SEEN HIM.   

November 18, 2005, 8:55 am CST

Lighten Up!!!

Quote From: edblood

Dr Phil:  I just turned on your show.  I have been watching faithfully all week, as your issues have been extremely important to me.  Today I turned off your show.  The two women you started the show with hurt me deeply.  In two years and one day, I have lost most of my family - Mother and Father within a week of each other, my baby sister, my youngest daughter, and my soulmate, my husband.  He was the joy of not only my life, but every life he touched.  His funeral was filled to capacity with people who spoke - "He was my best friend".  He was full of life and "annoying habits".  That's what made him who he was.  He died young, but he did living a FULL life.  What I 

would give to have him here - annoying habits and all.  Please tell these two women to imagine what their lives would be like without these two full-of-life men.  After intense therapy, I started to live again, accepting my lot in life.  I re-married another man to fill the void.  Six months ago, I found out he was having an affair with a younger woman (more than half his age), and he continues to go through woman after woman.  He did this to me after all my losses, and he has no regrets -- it's all my fault.  Well, Dr. Phil, I have learned that this is not my fault, it is a person who is needy and needs others to full the empty void he walks around with.  I am now back on drugs and my doctor is 

setting up further help for me with a professional, but warns me it may take some time to get "connected" with this therapist.  In the meantime, I have you, Dr. Phil, and my pills.  I wish you were 

more accessable to people like me.  I certainly come away from your shows with new insights.  I need HUGE help in my life now, and these two women are so worried about petty, and some of the fun things in life.  God help them to see the light before something tragic happens to them, and they end up like zombies wondering what happened.  Please women, lighten up and smell the roses.  They are beautiful.  They can save you from total insanity. 

I agree 100%.  I found those brother's quite funny and you could tell they meant no harm.   I could see how much they  love their wives and they are just trying to make the best of their lives.  My word, would they rather have an abusive husband???  Becky was full of life and funny too but I do think maybe she should cut the cussing.   Laugh and enjoy life, as long as you don't hurt anyone.  The sisters may just be a bit too serious.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last