Message Boards

Topic : 06/02 "My Annoying Family"

Number of Replies: 423
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 11, 2005, 05:35:34 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 11/18/05) Too many of us have that one family member whose rude, crude, obnoxious behavior gets under our skin and annoys us to death. Krista and Kim are sisters married to two brothers who they say are the most annoying husbands on the planet! They talk loudly, make inappropriate sexual comments and take pride in their bodily functions. See what happens when Dr. Phil turns the tables, and these guys get a taste of their own medicine. Then, Becky's daughter and sister say she has a mouth like a sailor and is always embarrassing them. Becky says she's just opinionated, honest and blunt. Will Becky learn to see their point of view and clean up her act? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 18, 2005, 12:24 pm CST

Annoying Humor and Habits

Here's my take on it. Farting, burping, etc. is funny for a little while, but if it's all one does, it gets annoying and disgusting after awhile. I feel people can be funny and display a sense of humor without constantly having to resort to "gross-out" humor to get a laugh. I'm no prude or anything like that, but, like most anything else, it does get old after being subjected to a steady diet of it. 

In my case, it is both of my parents. I love them dearly and always will, but they just have these godawful habits that drive me up a wall! For example, my mother will get into a conversation with me, my father, or anyone for that matter, and just dominate it! I mean, she LITERALLY does about 80% of the talking! The other participants in the conversation have to sit back and just listen for the most part until she stops talking long enough for one of them to get a word in. In all fairness, she is a wonderful woman. She just doesn't realize she's doing it the majority of the time. But it IS annoying! Anyone else have to deal with a chatterbox? 

As for my Dad, he's the one with the gross habits. All the farting, burping, peeing in the shower can be attributed directly to him. And he thinks it's funny as all get out! Like I said earlier, it's funny for a little while, then it gets old IMHO. His retort: "So what!? It doesn't really hurt anyone, does it?" Sometimes, I have to just up and leave the room! As for gross-out humor, it just seems like something kids and pre-adolescents do all the time for laughs. It just seems like it's immaturity when I see an adult constantly doing it. Not that I don't have a sense a humor, that's just how I feel. Just like w/ Mom, I think he does it quite simply because that's the way he is. 

November 18, 2005, 12:37 pm CST

marriage vows should be changed

Watching the show today, I got a great idea.  I think that the standard marriage vows should be changed to include the line: “If momma ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy”.  I know that this won’t affect women (because they are under the impression that those words are already there), but it would help men know what they are getting into when they say “I do”. 

There are some other good lines to add to marriage vows, including the following: 

1.                  A husband is to be given no credit or respect whatsoever for supporting his wife.  It is simply a woman’s god-given right to be supported by her husband/ ex-husband. 

2.                  Anything that a woman does should be given a great deal of praise and celebration. 

3.                  A man should not express his sexual needs to his wife nor anyone else.  His sexual needs should simply disappear upon marriage.  If needs something to do to occupy his time, he should do more housework. 

November 18, 2005, 12:52 pm CST

Stand-up Comic

The mother with "the mouth like a sailor" sounds like a frustrated creative person. Perhaps if she performed, it would take the pressure off of doing it in inappropriate settings.  

She should use her talent to make some money for herself.  If she was a stand-up comedian, I'd go to see her! She's hilarious and dead on with most things!  

I encourage her to pick up a mike at a local stand-up club and follow the yellow brick road. If anyone from the show is reading this, pass this on to her, please! 

November 18, 2005, 12:54 pm CST

11/18 "My Annoying Family"

Firstly, I think Becky is hilarious.  And based on the laughing, so did the audience.  Maybe, the issue should be switched around -- instead of Becky needing to conform more closely to her daughter's and sister's standards, they needed to be asked why they were so concerned about what other people think, and why they can't loosen up a little more?  

As to the situation at the start of the show, I find it hard to believe these men suddenly started acting this way when they got married.  I think the issue is really deeper -- the wives feel generally disrespected, and the men can sense a general "I'm going to improve him" vibe.  My guess, is that this behavior was annoying prior to marriage, but the women (like most women in our culture) were schooled in the "A good woman can change a man" philosophy.  Maybe this is really the issue that needs to be addressed, not the symptom of the behavior. 

November 18, 2005, 1:03 pm CST

I should be married to one of those guys!!

I totally wish my husband was more like the two guys on the show today.  Mine husband is soooo boring and conservative.  He used to have a decent sense of humor but now he's just totally serious all the time and gets mad at me when I act silly - either at public or private.  We live in a city of over one million people (and have only lived here for a short time) and he's terrified that someone he knows will see me as I dance down the aisle at the grocery store or whatev.  There is a difference between being mature and being boring.  These guys seemed very mature in the important ways - they are good husbands, take care of their families and seem like responsible people - but they still like to enjoy life.  It's too bad that more people aren't like them.  Oh and I don't buy into that crap of "If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy."  How selfish is that???  When I'm not happy, it is of some comfort when my children or husband are - why would I want to ruin that?  That's just silly.

November 18, 2005, 1:13 pm CST

related to Becky

I am related to Becky and yes she can be a little out there at times.  She is funny and very very outgoing however one big problem she has is that she doesn't think or care who she hurts by what she says.  One thing Becky needs to do is think about who she is hurting with the things she says.  However other times she is a barrel of laughs.  She is family and we love her inspite of the way she acts.  If you would meet the rest of our family you would understand that she does come by this somewhat naturally, however her actions are not received as well as other family members due in part to the fact that she goes overboard with it.  Our family is full of jokesters but they know when the time is right or wrong to act this way. 

November 18, 2005, 1:14 pm CST

11/18 "My Annoying Family"

Quote From: mpadin

Firstly, I think Becky is hilarious.  And based on the laughing, so did the audience.  Maybe, the issue should be switched around -- instead of Becky needing to conform more closely to her daughter's and sister's standards, they needed to be asked why they were so concerned about what other people think, and why they can't loosen up a little more?  

As to the situation at the start of the show, I find it hard to believe these men suddenly started acting this way when they got married.  I think the issue is really deeper -- the wives feel generally disrespected, and the men can sense a general "I'm going to improve him" vibe.  My guess, is that this behavior was annoying prior to marriage, but the women (like most women in our culture) were schooled in the "A good woman can change a man" philosophy.  Maybe this is really the issue that needs to be addressed, not the symptom of the behavior. 

In regards to becky, i didnt think she was funny, i found her rude, obnoxiuos,why cant they loosen up? come on, becky seems to like embarrassing her family and herself, theres a time and place to cut up and have fun but not to the point where no likes to be around you, right. her daughter and sister dont need to loosen up, becky needs to grow up!!!

November 18, 2005, 1:26 pm CST

Obnoxious Mother

My heart goes out to the daughter of the sewer-mouth mother.  Maturity is a time in a person's life when he/she must be held accountable for their actions, words and deeds.   She actually acted proud of everything negative that was attributed to her and not in the least concerned or apologetic to her daughter and sister. She definitely has some lofty ideas about herself and how endearing she is to her fellow rebel-rousers.   A beer joint would be a good place for her to find a job since it sounds like she's spent a lot of time in one.    

Too bad her "family" can't buy her a one-way ticket to another part of the country so they don't have to endure the agony of embarassment.  I certainly wouldn't claim her as a relation.     

November 18, 2005, 1:29 pm CST

In response of annoying family

I sure enjoyed your show today,, well let me put it this way these two wifes would not make it with my husband (and two sons) that I have been married with for 25 years.  He is one of the craziest , funny, ) ANNOYING SOMETIMES  BUT ALL IN FUN.)  I would not have it any other way I am the only female in the family and let me tell you when all three gets together to drive me crazy its either you chase them down with a wooden spoon (lol) or just laugh and join them and that is what I usually do.

Ladies life is so stressful that goofing around and having a good laugh theire is nothing wrong with that so what they burb or fart my husband does that also but only at home he is quite the gentlemen outside the home when we go out to restaurants  or movies etc.............so my advice why don't you join them and maybe and maybe they won't be so annoying.........men are just like little boys and to be honest with you it just keeps life fun and keeps you young I know it does with us....and I would not have it any other way,, and before I finish this about the sex thing be LUCKY!!!  it's at you he is saying it and not another woman,,, so the way I see it he still finds you attractive and SEXY!!!!!  cause my husband does this to me all the time and to honest with you I LOVE IT!!!!  I don't do it but I Love the Attention!!!!!

So FOR ALL THE LADIES OUT THERE ENJOY!! THAT CRAZY LOVIN HUSBAND OF YOURS, Cause I sure would not change mine. And I am proud to of him as a Crazy fun lovin husband a great wonderful Father.

Lynne
Grand Falls NB Canada

November 18, 2005, 1:34 pm CST

Becky

I have to say that I am a lot like Becky.  I am 63 years old and raised two children in a mans world starting in 1967.  I would much rather be with someone like Becky, because you know exactlly where you stand.  I don't mence words, I will tell you exactly how it is. 

I have found that when you meet someone and they say, "I am a good christian person", I know then that you had better watch your back.  The majority of these good christian people, gossip and carry tales worse than anyone. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last