Message Boards

Topic : 06/02 "My Annoying Family"

Number of Replies: 423
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 11, 2005, 05:35:34 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 11/18/05) Too many of us have that one family member whose rude, crude, obnoxious behavior gets under our skin and annoys us to death. Krista and Kim are sisters married to two brothers who they say are the most annoying husbands on the planet! They talk loudly, make inappropriate sexual comments and take pride in their bodily functions. See what happens when Dr. Phil turns the tables, and these guys get a taste of their own medicine. Then, Becky's daughter and sister say she has a mouth like a sailor and is always embarrassing them. Becky says she's just opinionated, honest and blunt. Will Becky learn to see their point of view and clean up her act? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 13, 2005, 12:11 am CST

I think I am the annoying family member

Aloha, 

How do you know if you are that annoying family member? My husband's family is quite and doesn't like to be touched. My family is the opposite ... we laugh,  talk loud,  and hug a lot. Now I can not be like them and they can not be like me so how do I know if I get on their nerves?  

Aloha, 

Hula Girl Leilani 

November 13, 2005, 5:54 pm CST

Here is some advice.

Quote From: alooha

Aloha, 

How do you know if you are that annoying family member? My husband's family is quite and doesn't like to be touched. My family is the opposite ... we laugh,  talk loud,  and hug a lot. Now I can not be like them and they can not be like me so how do I know if I get on their nerves?  

Aloha, 

Hula Girl Leilani 

hello, 

first of all you should never change yourself to make someone else happy, always be yourself. Here is some examples, If they ignore you when someone else is around and they talk to others but not you. If you walk into the room and they act rudely and don't seem to greet you. Or if you laugh outloud and they turn up the t.v.  I know how you feel I am in the same situation and you pretty much know when they are tired of you. The only thing I know to tell you is maybe tone yourself down a little this might help, and keep all of the hugs to your husband. There is a lot of people out there that do not like to be hugged. It is their personal space and they feel offended if you disrupt that space.  

Hope this helps out a little. 

mandee_26 

November 15, 2005, 8:48 am CST

Boy can I relate!!!

ALL of my inlaws are annoying!  Not only do they show up at my door uninvited  (almost daily)  but they raid my refrigerator  (and leave their mess for me to clean), use my phone,  leave their kids there for me to babysit, use my garage as their own personal storage facility and even ask to borrow my car 2-3 times a week!  Last week, they showed up at my neighbor's house  (whom they only met ONCE) and asked to use their washer and dryer.  If that wasn't rude enough, they didn't even bring laundry detergent!!  My husband is always saying "why does my family have to act like this?"   I always say to him "how on earth did I marry in to this family?"   Most of the time we joke around about them but in reality, they are very annoying and impossible to get rid of!  I need to hire a pest control company to come and clean house.  :-) 

~Jenn 

November 15, 2005, 5:14 pm CST

I don't buy it you are in control of your behavior

Quote From: alooha

Aloha, 

Aloha, 

Hula Girl Leilani 

"Now I can not be like them" 

Being loud and outgoing is a behavior that you can control.  Self control and being reserved is considered polite in some circles and when you are with them you should act accordingly.  Just because you act like you’re at a football game around your family does not mean you can't use self control elsewhere. 

It is a serious cop out just saying you have no self control.

November 16, 2005, 1:34 pm CST

Do I see my brother after 20 years or not?

I really need some help making a decision.  My family has not been close for years and years.  My mom and dad divorced when I was 11 - I am now 49.  I stayed with my mom cause I was the youngest and my borther (4 years older) and my sister (2 years older) went with my dad.  I have seen or spoken with them a hand full of times in the last 30 some years.  I make contact with them 2 years ago - calling my father and brother and did not get a warm reception.  My dad said he would call me when he got back from Christmas with his step kids but have not heard from him in 2 years.  My brother's wife sent me a card that I got yesterday.  It said they would be in town from Iowa and "if I wanted to see them" I should call her brother.  I don't know what to do.  I don't want to be hurt and rejected again.  My brother has told me that I am not in the family and my sistem has told me that they do not consider me family, never have and never will.  Help - what do I do?  My husband says he will support me either way but I only have a couple of days to decide.  Anyone out there that can give me some advise?

November 17, 2005, 9:22 pm CST

11/18 "My Annoying Family"

Quote From: lh2000

"Now I can not be like them" 

Being loud and outgoing is a behavior that you can control.  Self control and being reserved is considered polite in some circles and when you are with them you should act accordingly.  Just because you act like you’re at a football game around your family does not mean you can't use self control elsewhere. 

It is a serious cop out just saying you have no self control.

ITA with you. I am a very outgoing person and when I am around my inlaws who are more reserved than I am I act accordingly. You can control yourself. They are not going to change for you and I know that you shouldn't change for them, but there is a time and a place for everything.

November 18, 2005, 6:16 am CST

Rediculous

We moved to NC from NY in 1997. All was wonderful. My mother in law moved here a few years later, all was fine. Then a few years after that my sister in law and family moved here. We never got along with each other in NY, then she has the balls to move on the same street as me!!! I was in shock. One of the reasons I moved from NY was to get away from her. Things have gone down hill ever since. 

She is very over bearing, has to control everything, my husband has no balls when it comes to his family so then I am the one being the bitch and yelling at them all when they try to take over my house and our lives. I actually had to throw them out when after a year they wouldn't dicipline their son and I just couldn't take it anymore. They are Italians and know NO boundries. 

Then the mother got mad at me because she would never not side with her daughter. The mother soon after that told my husband to divorce me. He was in shock but still loves them very much. Since that time I have banned my sister in law from my house because of other things she has done. I sent her an email telling her I would have her arrested if she comes on my property again. 

My  husband visits his mom and sister at their homes, I have nothing to do with either of them.  

I will never trust my mother in law again, after her telling my husband to divorce me. I wish they would all just pack up and go back to NY or anywhere but here. Almost all the arguments my husband and I have had have been about his rotten family. We have been married 22 years and have 3 children together. 2 out of the 3 of the kids have nothing to do with his family either, the are grown and can see all the games they play. I have the inlaws from hell. Is there any help? 

November 18, 2005, 6:29 am CST

My annoying family

My most annoying family member has got to be my husband. I love the man dearly but, he really has no manners when not at work (when at work, he's a perfect gentleman). He doesn't say excuse me, please, thank you, bless you or anything. When I ask him to stop being that way, especially in fron of my 2 children, he just laughs even more knowing how much it drives me up the wall! Talk about passive/agressive- how annoying!

November 18, 2005, 6:34 am CST

11/18 "My Annoying Family"

Dr Phil:  I just turned on your show.  I have been watching faithfully all week, as your issues have been extremely important to me.  Today I turned off your show.  The two women you started the show with hurt me deeply.  In two years and one day, I have lost most of my family - Mother and Father within a week of each other, my baby sister, my youngest daughter, and my soulmate, my husband.  He was the joy of not only my life, but every life he touched.  His funeral was filled to capacity with people who spoke - "He was my best friend".  He was full of life and "annoying habits".  That's what made him who he was.  He died young, but he did living a FULL life.  What I 

would give to have him here - annoying habits and all.  Please tell these two women to imagine what their lives would be like without these two full-of-life men.  After intense therapy, I started to live again, accepting my lot in life.  I re-married another man to fill the void.  Six months ago, I found out he was having an affair with a younger woman (more than half his age), and he continues to go through woman after woman.  He did this to me after all my losses, and he has no regrets -- it's all my fault.  Well, Dr. Phil, I have learned that this is not my fault, it is a person who is needy and needs others to full the empty void he walks around with.  I am now back on drugs and my doctor is 

setting up further help for me with a professional, but warns me it may take some time to get "connected" with this therapist.  In the meantime, I have you, Dr. Phil, and my pills.  I wish you were 

more accessable to people like me.  I certainly come away from your shows with new insights.  I need HUGE help in my life now, and these two women are so worried about petty, and some of the fun things in life.  God help them to see the light before something tragic happens to them, and they end up like zombies wondering what happened.  Please women, lighten up and smell the roses.  They are beautiful.  They can save you from total insanity. 

November 18, 2005, 7:11 am CST

My Annoying Family

I want to say to Becky that I feel she says she loves her sister and daughter but does not respect them...therefore does she really love them or just herself?  I think she and to a small degree the brothers love themselves more than their relatives and therefore do not need to be told (or won't listen) to Dr. Phil's advice.  If you love someone you want them to be happy and for Becky to blow off their feelings every time is wrong just like it would be wrong for her not to cut up with her friends.  I hope she will understand what Dr. Phil said at the end about toning it down at the grocery store, diner, etc.  There is a time and a place for everything and being crass or without class has it's own place. 

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last