Message Boards

Topic : 11/23 Schizophrenia

Number of Replies: 502
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 18, 2005, 03:44:32 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Imagine hearing voices that don’t really exist, thinking lasers are shooting through your walls or believing that people are coming into your home through electrical outlets. For people with schizophrenia, these types of delusions and paranoia are part of daily life. Mary sees angels and demons and has even believed her husband was a demon in disguise. Then, Ann Marie and Tim would give anything to help their mother. She talks emphatically to people who aren’t there and speaks nonsense to her own children. Watch her erratic behavior captured on camera and find out whether her case is beyond treatment. Plus, two sisters, Melanie and Rachel, want to know if their minds could be ticking time bombs. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More November 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 19, 2005, 9:03 pm CST

is it schizophrenia after taking medication?

I feel so so sad and sorry for ANYONE who has true mental illness,  it does exist,   the problem that I have is how many people start taking medication for, depression, sadness, to deal with a death, to stop smoking etc.... and may have had some problems but they start taking a medication and WHAM!!!   they start have symptoms of SCHIZOPHRENIA,    I belive it does exist,  but i think that there are to many cases where it is brought on by medication prescribed by a doctor.     this happend to me,  if I had listened to the Dr.s I would be in a mental hospital today,   but I knew that it had to be the Rx they gave me....   I was on lf the lucky ones who figured it out.    there are so many people in mental hospitals today that dont need to be there.....   and then there are these poor poor people who have true mental illness and I feel so sad because i had a small tast of mental illness...   and its sad...  today I take NO medications and I have no problems at all... .   but while being treated for insomnia, the medication they gave me made me hear voices,  and act  strange...  but it was not me..it was the drugs.................. I cant wait to see this show....   I just hope its not another story of someone who is diagnosed with schizophrenia AFTER already taking medications....     I pray for anyone who had true mental illness...  May God be with them..    

November 20, 2005, 8:50 am CST

11/23 Schizophrenia

Quote From: cingular

I feel so so sad and sorry for ANYONE who has true mental illness,  it does exist,   the problem that I have is how many people start taking medication for, depression, sadness, to deal with a death, to stop smoking etc.... and may have had some problems but they start taking a medication and WHAM!!!   they start have symptoms of SCHIZOPHRENIA,    I belive it does exist,  but i think that there are to many cases where it is brought on by medication prescribed by a doctor.     this happend to me,  if I had listened to the Dr.s I would be in a mental hospital today,   but I knew that it had to be the Rx they gave me....   I was on lf the lucky ones who figured it out.    there are so many people in mental hospitals today that dont need to be there.....   and then there are these poor poor people who have true mental illness and I feel so sad because i had a small tast of mental illness...   and its sad...  today I take NO medications and I have no problems at all... .   but while being treated for insomnia, the medication they gave me made me hear voices,  and act  strange...  but it was not me..it was the drugs.................. I cant wait to see this show....   I just hope its not another story of someone who is diagnosed with schizophrenia AFTER already taking medications....     I pray for anyone who had true mental illness...  May God be with them..    

I am interested to know what kind of medication you were taking that made you feel that way?  What was the Rx for?   

I am glad you figured this out and are well now. 

November 20, 2005, 9:15 am CST

In response

I am the one with schizophrenia on the show.  In response to your post, I got sick when i was 18.  I had my first full psychotic break then.  I was unmedicated for years struggling with this disease, self medicating with alcohol and running the streets.   I was not medicated at all for anything when the schizophrenia started. I will wait for the show to air before sharing any more.  I'm sure the show will cover alot of what I might say here. 

November 20, 2005, 1:16 pm CST

11/23 Schizophrenia

I have a few comments on this.   My symptoms first started as insomnia.   So I started taking restoril prescribed by my doctor.  The insomnia didn't get better.  I started to feel persecuted, and I could
feel this leaf moving around in my head that I associated with mood swings for some reason.  Finally
I went to the hospital and talked to a psychologist.  She had me sign a paper stating that I would see a psychiatrist.  Later that night, I burned several of the papers, including the doctors she recommended.  The fire alarm went off, and I thought they were going to come haul me away to the mental hospital.  They didn't come.  I went to see a psychiatrist and was placed on xanax, and antianxiety medication.  Even with that, I couldn't sleep and was severely distressed.  Finally, the doctor put me on haldol.  It had pretty bad side effects, and I still wasn't sleeping.  He put me on prozac.  I went manic, and went off all medications, I was feeling so good.  I continued to see the psychiatrist, even though I wasn't taking any medicaitons.  I went through a surgery.   About a month after the surgery, I closed my eyes and drove my car off the freeway.  This was not a suicide attempt, but I ended up in the mental hospital and back on haldol.  All this time I didn't have a real diagnosis--It takes about 6 months before they give you a schizophrenia diagnosis, probably because 1/3 recover fully and do not later require medications.  You say you would be in a mental hospital.  I really doubt you would be in a mental hospital if they found a medication that would treat you.  I work at a full time job at a top-notch research lab.  You may say that I do not have schizophrenia.  However, I feel that I have a genetic component to my illness, so it is hard to deny it.
I don't have many symptoms at this time, the main one being paranoia.

My recommendation to you would be to shut up and let the people who need treatment get it.  They already have enough trouble with this kind of thinking, stigma about mental illness, and denial that they have a problem.  I suggest that there are many people with true mental illness, and if you think you have the solution, take one into your home and treat them.

November 21, 2005, 6:52 am CST

yottzumm

from your post,  you have so much anger.....       what i  said in my  post was::::    how sad for the people who are diagnosed with schizophrenia and DONT have it,  they are diagnosed because they had a reaction to a medication that was given to them for some other reason, like insomnia or mild depression or to deal with a death,  if you dont think this happens  alot your so very wrong!!!!  telling me to shut up.....  wow!!!       again.. I belive there is true mental illness out there,  I belive there there are people who have schizophrenia,  but i also belive that there is a high precent of people diagnosed with schizophrenia that DO NOT HAVE IT but are haviing a reaction to a medication given to them for something else........ it happens all the time!!!!!      I have not judged this women on the show... I dont even know her story,   this women is suffering and thats all that matters.....   mental illness is no joke,   and I pray for her...     

November 21, 2005, 6:59 am CST

stryker_m

Hi,   can I say I am so very very sorry for you....    I have not seen the show yet, but i cant wait.      I know what it can feel like to be all alone in your head... its not a fun thing....    gosh, if there is ever anything that can do for you,   sometimes just having someone listen to what you have to say and taking the time to talk is sometimes very helpful.    when I went through a very hard time alot of people (including my family) went away,  the did not take the time to just listen.     it was to big of a problem for them and did not want to be botherd........hugs! 

November 21, 2005, 8:28 am CST

you said you had insomnia

Quote From: yottzumm

I have a few comments on this.   My symptoms first started as insomnia.   So I started taking restoril prescribed by my doctor.  The insomnia didn't get better.  I started to feel persecuted, and I could
feel this leaf moving around in my head that I associated with mood swings for some reason.  Finally
I went to the hospital and talked to a psychologist.  She had me sign a paper stating that I would see a psychiatrist.  Later that night, I burned several of the papers, including the doctors she recommended.  The fire alarm went off, and I thought they were going to come haul me away to the mental hospital.  They didn't come.  I went to see a psychiatrist and was placed on xanax, and antianxiety medication.  Even with that, I couldn't sleep and was severely distressed.  Finally, the doctor put me on haldol.  It had pretty bad side effects, and I still wasn't sleeping.  He put me on prozac.  I went manic, and went off all medications, I was feeling so good.  I continued to see the psychiatrist, even though I wasn't taking any medicaitons.  I went through a surgery.   About a month after the surgery, I closed my eyes and drove my car off the freeway.  This was not a suicide attempt, but I ended up in the mental hospital and back on haldol.  All this time I didn't have a real diagnosis--It takes about 6 months before they give you a schizophrenia diagnosis, probably because 1/3 recover fully and do not later require medications.  You say you would be in a mental hospital.  I really doubt you would be in a mental hospital if they found a medication that would treat you.  I work at a full time job at a top-notch research lab.  You may say that I do not have schizophrenia.  However, I feel that I have a genetic component to my illness, so it is hard to deny it.
I don't have many symptoms at this time, the main one being paranoia.

My recommendation to you would be to shut up and let the people who need treatment get it.  They already have enough trouble with this kind of thinking, stigma about mental illness, and denial that they have a problem.  I suggest that there are many people with true mental illness, and if you think you have the solution, take one into your home and treat them.
you went from a person with insomnia to taking medications and THNE you were diagnosed with schizophrenia?     is it possible that you could have had a reaction to the medication....    also, the medication they give you for a surgery can cause problems 1 month down the lilne expecially if you are taking other medications and they interact....    is that possible that could be what happend to you?

November 21, 2005, 9:14 am CST

My sister and aunt

My sister was just diagnosed with this illness.  It has been hard to accept, especially when she is doing odd things.  It started out with her believing in this cultish religion having to do with "twin flames" and "spirit guides".  I tried to talk her into getting help, but it didn't work.  Her husband finally got her to a hospital, but he had to lie and say there was a priest there who would do an excorsism on her.  She believed/s that she was/is possessed by an evil spirit after she did some ritual to call her spirit guide into her body.  This illness is very frustrating and scary.  My Aunt also has it, so I grew up around it, and I know how to deal with some of it.  She has had the illness for over 20 years.  Now she is in a good place, she lives on her own, does her own thing, and is generally happy.  She understands her illness, unlike my sister who still is in denial.  I do worry that I may have it sometime in the future, or that my kids may, since it is genetic.  But I will cross that road if it comes.  I saw that my chances are pretty slim, which is good, about 9% or something like that.  I wish they had some dna testing they could do, cause I would like to know.   

I hate the sterotype about people with this.  It doesn't cause violence, it's not a reason people with it become violent.  There are a lot of great web sites out there that give the facts.  I know a lot of people who automatically assume they are not safe around my family members, and that is sad.   

Anyway, my sister was in a mental institution for nearly 6 months.  She was on so many different medications, sometimes the meds seem worse than the illness, with all the side effects she had.  I may be seeing her this week, she lives quite a distance away from me, so I will be able to see if she is doing any better.  I can't really picture her with it yet, so I need to see her for myself I guess.   

It is one of the hardest things to go through, it's almost like the family member dies, because you have to say things like, "remember when she would do this before..."  or "She was so funny/talented/etc before..."  Just watching someone I love go through this kills a little bit of me each day.   

I hope everyone who has this in their family, and everyone who has it, can find peace in their lives.  Don't let it get you, you can still be a productive member of society, you can still do anything that you want, as long as you learn about the illness, and listen to the doctor, and believe in yourself.   

November 21, 2005, 9:22 am CST

You are right...

from your post,  you have so much anger.....       what i  said in my  post was::::    how sad for the people who are diagnosed with schizophrenia and DONT have it,  they are diagnosed because they had a reaction to a medication that was given to them for some other reason, like insomnia or mild depression or to deal with a death,  if you dont think this happens  alot your so very wrong!!!!  telling me to shut up.....  wow!!!       again.. I belive there is true mental illness out there,  I belive there there are people who have schizophrenia,  but i also belive that there is a high precent of people diagnosed with schizophrenia that DO NOT HAVE IT but are haviing a reaction to a medication given to them for something else........ it happens all the time!!!!!      I have not judged this women on the show... I dont even know her story,   this women is suffering and thats all that matters.....   mental illness is no joke,   and I pray for her...     

Schizophrenia is sometimes a catch all for different mental illnesses too.  The diagnosis is so hard to actually be right on, because there is still a lot that we don't know about the mind and brain.  Bipolar can be mistaken for schizophrenia, they have a lot of the same symptoms.  The voices, moods, etc.  But the thing is (I have talked to a psychatrist) that the voices are different...one is more active, like something tell them to do something.  The other is part of the internal thought where the voice will say things like, That person is laughing at you, when in fact the ill person is actually thinking it (schizophrenia).   

People also thing schizophrenics have more than one personality, like "Sybil".  That is also untrue.   

Anyway, I'm not sure about a medication reaction causing enough problems for someone to be diagnosed as schizophrenic.  But I do agree that there are a lot of problems with the way people are diagnosed, and that schizophrenia can be a sort of blanket dianosis for many problems that isn't true schizophrenia. 

November 21, 2005, 10:50 am CST

my beautiful child

I am the parent of a 16 yo male diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder. Our journey with this disorder started 16 years ago. We received many mis-diagnosis and have many issues getting where we are with treatment and med management.
I am overjoyed that a talk show as popular as Dr. Phil will be doing something on Schizophrenia. This brain disorder is so stigmatized in our society. Many people with this brain disorder are functioning quite well and may be your next door neighbor.
Schizoaffective Disorder is a combination of a depressive disorder and schizophrenia. In my sons case it is Bi Polar Disorder. My son goes into periods where he is delusional and out of touch with reality. He is extremely violent and out of control in our home and in the community. Yet, he is highly intelligent, gifted in art and writing and a joy to have when he is not in the psychotic state of the disorder.
I would like to include one of his poems so that others may have some insight into the disorder:

Tethered Wings

see the pain
of tethered wings
and hear the call
of many things
watch the others
fly away
and live to see
another day
you shout to them
they do not hear
the sound of voices