Message Boards

Topic : 01/18 "Fighting Over the Will"

Number of Replies: 373
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Tuesday, November 22, 2005, 03:25:43 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Airdate: 11/29/05) When you imagine receiving an inheritance, you might dream that all your financial problems would be solved. But sometimes, the money is more trouble than it's worth. Eighty-four-year-old Aileen inherited a 2,000-acre farm after her husband died. But is her granddaughter, Amber, jumping the gun by wanting her mother's name on the title now? Then, Tracy says her 19-year-old son, Mark, changed when he came into a large inheritance this year after his dad passed away. She says the money wasn't what changed her son, but his long-lost friend, Brandon. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More January 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 29, 2005, 11:43 am CST

Putting your kids on title does not avoid taxes!

My dad passed away eight years ago. Since he did not have a living trust, only a will, we paid over $250K in inheritance taxes. It does not sound like any of these guests have consulted with a probate or trust attorney to fully understand how the tax laws work. Some things are not taxed to the recipient such as life insurance, however the ESTATE does pay taxes as the value of the life insurance is included in the total of the value of the estate at the time of death. It was truly like my dad was being raped financially and wasn't even alive to defend himself. He already paid his taxes, he died and had to pay again! 

Putting your kids on title does not avoid the taxes either, it only allows your kids to take out a mortgage on your home against your will. It is considered a gift to a child and is a part of the estate.  

No matter how you slice it, if you want to minimize the tax consequences you need to consult an expert in tax & estate planning. The government gets their money one way or another and any loop holes that people think they can get through have been shored up by the IRS. If you go to www.irs.org you can research all of the rules around how estates are settled.  

I don't think these girls have their mothers best interest at heart. i think they are greedy and want their inheritance now instead of waiting. The mother who thinks she should control her son's money needs to give the boy HIS money and move on. I'd like to know how she was not required to hand it over sooner and has avoided legal charges. 

November 29, 2005, 12:16 pm CST

selfish granddaughter!!

My grandma is in the hospital after a stroke.  I feed her breakfast every morning.  I would give anything if she could be as lively as this woman.  Whatever the issues Amber has no right to speak to her Grandmother  in this way.  She has lived long enough to deserve a certain amount of respect regardless of what she has done.  Respect your Grandmother!!!

November 29, 2005, 12:17 pm CST

UNBLOODYBELIEVABLE!

I can't believe I am hearing what I am hearing, listening to these two greedy women (the daughter and granddaughter)!

More power to the Grandmother!  Keep your farm, keep your money, enjoy your trips to Arizona and change your will to someone more deserving, your daughter and granddaughter don't deserve ANYTHING!!!!

November 29, 2005, 12:20 pm CST

WHAT HORRIBLE FAMILY MEMBERS

the grand daughter and daughter of Aileen on the show were so horrible.  It's Aileen's land she can do whatever she wants with it.  I think she should forget about her daughter and grand daughter because their both selfish and really disgust me!

November 29, 2005, 12:23 pm CST

Wow this hits home

OK wow this one sure hit home ....i almost started to cry ...how can this daughter and granddaughter be so inconsiderate ! Why are they even thinging abotu when Grandma dies when shes still alive and well ....yes shes getting old but just treasure the time she is around !  

This one hits home because this is happening to me but more in depth
My Grandpa has been sooo close with me and my sisters and parents all my life ,....he was always there for holidays and birthday and loved us more than anyone in the world and we think the world of him. Well about a year ago grandpa got sick and my aunt and uncle found his power of attorney they saw it was my dad and not them ......which it should be cuz dad is the most responsible one and has done best in his life and is more established than my aunt and uncle. My dad has also been power of atorney for his aunt and uncle and knows what he's doing . Dad saw the power of attorney but didn't look at it cuz its not his business but my aunt and uncle started acting weird after this, making us think they read it ...after this they changed EVERYTHING to be in there name and have them in total contol of grandpa ...followed by us not being abel to call him or see him ! I miss grandpa so much and know us girls ingherited EVERYTHING but i don't even care about that, i dont need anything of grandpa's ...i just need him! Now we can't see him and i miss him soooo much! we are going to court so be able to see him and to change things so that my aunt and uncle stop spending grandpa's money! I think they are telling grandpa lies and that he's going to hate us cuz he won't know the real reason we are going to court!  

All i have to say it
don't worry about the will and power of attorney until the person is gone, as long as you know they have an up-to-date will so that things are easy when the person passes than who cares...just treasure the little time you have with them  

November 29, 2005, 12:24 pm CST

Fighting over the will

This is a good story idea...many of the over 50 crowd (my group) are dealing with similar issues regularly (wills, power of attorney, caring for elderly parents, nursing homes, etc...etc. but alas many of us are/were not prepared to deal with such issues..I used to chuckle that whenever someone either died or got married, a new breed of folks appeared...peoples personalities changed...but recently I've met a new character, in the form of a brother, who went haywire when it looked like my mom was in failing health...and my mom too has changed..

November 29, 2005, 12:30 pm CST

you go grandma

ITHINK THIS DAUGHTER AND GRANDDAUGHTER NEED TO GET A LIFE.I THINK ALL THEY WANT IS GRANDMA'S FARM AND THE MONEY.YOU GO GRANDMA.I THINK YOUR SMART THE WAY YOU ARE HANDLING IT.I ALSO THINK THE GRANDDAUGHTER NEEDS TO MIND HER OWN BUSINESS  AND BUTT OUT.I THINK THAT THE GRADMOTHER IS BRIGHT AND SHE KNOWS WHAT SHE IS DOING AND SHE IS DOING IT RIGHT.FAM,ILEY'S CAN BE SO GREEDY.WHEN MY MUM AND DAD DIED GOD MY FAMILEY WANTED EVERYTHING.I JUST WALKED AWAY.MY GOD LET THIS LADY LIVE AND GET OFF OF HER BACK.YOUR GOING TO DRIVE HER TO HER GRAVE.BUT THATS WHAT I THINK YOU WANT TO DO.ALL THIS STRESS ON HER IS NOT GOOD.DO HER A FAVOUR AND YOURSELF GET OFF HER BACK. 

KATHY 

November 29, 2005, 12:33 pm CST

The grand-daughter, daughter, and mother...

This 85 woman is more independant than MOST people and to do what you 2 are doing to her is absurd!! 

If I was her your name would be removed from my power of attorney and Will. I would not leave you a dime for the way you are behaving.   The land is hers and what she wants to do with it is her  business. You are not ENTITLED to anything of your mothers.  

TO the grandaughter, if you feel you are being controlled by the grandmother, stay out of her life. Dr. Phil was right in saying you are choosing to be controlled. If you are not doing anything to change that, then that is your fault. 

But let this grandmother enjoy what time she has left on her farm without having to fight over this issue. She is not going to add your name, drop it end of story. You are power of attorney, if somethign happens to her and you need to use it call her lawyer, he will advise. You are willed the land leave it at that.  

Quit being petty. Enjoy your life and time and enjoy the time you have left with her. I guarentee once she is gone you will be sorry for the words that spilled out of your mouth, and when she is gone you cannot take them back 

Focus on the important things here. The dollars that you will save will not ease your guilt once she is gone. 

Tammy 

November 29, 2005, 12:34 pm CST

GIRLS

WELL I KNOW FOR SURE IT MIGHT BE A REAL COLD DAY IN (     ) BEFORE THOSE GIRLS WOULD GET THE FARM.  I WOULD NEVER EVER NEVER THINK ABOUT OR EVEN COME CLOSE TO TALKING TO MY PARENTS LIKE THEY DID AND DO. I THE LADY GIVES THE FARM TO A CHURCH!!!!!! IF SHE ENDS UP GIVING THE FARM TO THE DAUGHTER I WOULD PUT IT IN THE WILL THAT THE GRANDDAUGHTER WOULD NEVER HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE FARM EVER !!!!!!

November 29, 2005, 12:38 pm CST

I hope grandma lives til 104!!!

I hope grandma lives til 104 and she probably will on that beautiful farm she owns. Her greedy, rude, disrespectful, daughter and grandaughter do not deserve to own that farm. Shame on them!!!After the show, grandma ought to run straight to her attorney's office to change the power of attorney to someone who she can trust and maybe she ought to think about donating her land to the Nature conservancy or the Canadian equivalent.  

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last